Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Chicago Booth MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Booth Student Perspectives Blog: STEM certification: what it says about Booth and what it means for international students
On September 9 this year, Dean Rajan sent the school an email saying two of our MBA concentrations, Business Analytics and Analytic Finance, are STEM-certified. My inbox was immediately flooded with congratulations from friends who knew I’d been working on this initiative with Dean Kole for almost a year. But more than the joy of seeing our efforts bear fruit, I was grateful to be part of a school that truly cares about its students and is not afraid of change.

My journey started a year ago when I was elected as the President of Rockefeller Cohort (one of the 10 student-initiated cohorts formed during LEAD). During the election, one of the platforms that I ran on was getting a STEM certification because, being an international student myself, I knew the hardships involved in getting a US work visa.

At the time, there was no talk of STEM at Booth and I was the lone student passionate about it. So, when I first spoke to Dean Rajan and Dean Kole, I half expected them to shoot down the idea—but they were instantly onboard. It did not matter that I was the only student asking for STEM, I still got the same time and attention from them as a whole student group would have. It just goes to show that at Chicago Booth, the idea is most important, not how many people are behind it. If you are passionate about something, go ahead and ask for the support to make it happen.

From our first conversation to getting the certifications, we faced many interesting hurdles. However, in hindsight, I realize that the most important one was convincing people why we need a STEM certification.

Right now, international students have to apply for the H1B lottery, which had 190,098 applicants for 85,000 visas in FY 2019. Students with a US Master’s degree get a shot at 20,000 out of the 85,000 visa slots, which had 95,885 applications in FY 2019. With these odds, not everyone gets the H1B visa. These unfortunate students not only have to leave their jobs and the country as soon as their Optional Practical Training (OPT) is over, they also have a USD student loan in tow, which is much harder to service outside of the US because of lower pay levels.

That is why a STEM-certification is so important in providing international students an opportunity to work in the US for two more years, to get more experience, maybe even a promotion, and to pay off part of their student debt.

On the personal front, students have two more shots at the H1B lottery and can better plan for contingencies. Companies are incentivized to apply for the H1B lottery over the next two years as the students are still working with them in the US. If the first H1B lottery doesn’t work out, and the students don’t have the STEM-based OPT extension, then companies either let students go, or the bigger ones transfer them to another country and try bringing them in on an L1 visa, which has its own pros and cons. I know of families where partners moved to the US to support their spouses at Booth and managed to get a job after a year, only to be torn apart because the Booth student could not get an H1B visa and had to leave the country.

The STEM-certification has far-reaching benefits to both the professional and personal lives of international students, and I am glad we could deliver it for the Booth community for years to come.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Send PM
Booth Represents at the Roland Berger International Case Competition i [#permalink]
Kudos
FROM Booth Evening & Weekend Program Blog: Booth Represents at the Roland Berger International Case Competition in Barcelona
Weekend MBA student and Consultant at Slalom, Pranav Sohoni, shares his experience representing Booth in Barcelona.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Sharing Our Gratitude [#permalink]
FROM Booth Admissions Blog: Sharing Our Gratitude
A new season is upon us in Chicago, which means the leaves are changing color and the air is getting crisp. This new season also brings about thoughts and reflections on gratitude. During this season of giving thanks, we wanted to share a few of the things we’re grateful for with you.
Director
Director
Send PM
The season of gratitude: sustainability and social impact [#permalink]
FROM The Booth Experience: The season of gratitude: sustainability and social impact
My name’s Sean, and among some of the hats that I wear, I Co-Chair the Graduate Business Council (GBC) Social Impact and Sustainability Committee with Aditya Srinath. I was asked to write about my experience in Social Impact at Booth, so let me set the scene and start from the beginning… I grew up in … Continue reading The season of gratitude: sustainability and social impact →
Director
Director
Send PM
The season of gratitude: sustainability and social impact [#permalink]
FROM Booth Student Perspectives Blog: The season of gratitude: sustainability and social impact
My name’s Sean, and among some of the hats that I wear, I Co-Chair the Graduate Business Council (GBC) Social Impact and Sustainability Committee with Aditya Srinath. I was asked to write about my experience in Social Impact at Booth, so let me set the scene and start from the beginning… I grew up in … Continue reading The season of gratitude: sustainability and social impact →
Director
Director
Send PM
Social Impact and stewardship at booth [#permalink]
FROM The Booth Experience: Social Impact and stewardship at booth
My name’s Sean, and among some of the hats that I wear, I Co-Chair the Graduate Business Council (GBC) Social Impact and Sustainability Committee with Aditya Srinath. I was asked to write about my experience in Social Impact at Booth, so let me set the scene and start from the beginning… I grew up in … Continue reading Social Impact and stewardship at booth →
Director
Director
Send PM
Social Impact and stewardship at booth [#permalink]
FROM Booth Student Perspectives Blog: Social Impact and stewardship at booth
My name’s Sean, and among some of the hats that I wear, I Co-Chair the Graduate Business Council (GBC) Social Impact and Sustainability Committee with Aditya Srinath. I was asked to write about my experience in Social Impact at Booth, so let me set the scene and start from the beginning… I grew up in … Continue reading Social Impact and stewardship at booth →
Director
Director
Send PM
Summer in the Cloud(s) [#permalink]
FROM The Booth Experience: Summer in the Cloud(s)
I went on an adventure in Seattle this summer to a new industry—technology. The title of this article is not a reference to the mostly overcast weather in the Pacific Northwest, but rather to Microsoft’s cloud, Azure. Working in the Cloud Infrastructure COGS Finance team, I sought to build a framework to assess margins of … Continue reading Summer in the Cloud(s) →
Director
Director
Send PM
Summer in the Cloud(s) [#permalink]
FROM Booth Student Perspectives Blog: Summer in the Cloud(s)
I went on an adventure in Seattle this summer to a new industry—technology. The title of this article is not a reference to the mostly overcast weather in the Pacific Northwest, but rather to Microsoft’s cloud, Azure. Working in the Cloud Infrastructure COGS Finance team, I sought to build a framework to assess margins of … Continue reading Summer in the Cloud(s) →
Director
Director
Send PM
Sell Day: What Happens After the Offer [#permalink]
FROM The Booth Experience: Sell Day: What Happens After the Offer
In business school, you spend a large fraction of fall quarter recruiting, and even more time in winter interviewing with companies you hope to intern for. What doesn’t get discussed as much is what takes place after the offer, as the company (or several companies, if you’re lucky) attempt to entice you with a weekend … Continue reading Sell Day: What Happens After the Offer →
Director
Director
Send PM
Sell Day: What Happens After the Offer [#permalink]
FROM Booth Student Perspectives Blog: Sell Day: What Happens After the Offer
In business school, you spend a large fraction of fall quarter recruiting, and even more time in winter interviewing with companies you hope to intern for. What doesn’t get discussed as much is what takes place after the offer, as the company (or several companies, if you’re lucky) attempt to entice you with a weekend … Continue reading Sell Day: What Happens After the Offer →
Director
Director
Send PM
Booth Gear Pack: Must-Have Items For Next Fall [#permalink]
FROM The Booth Experience: Booth Gear Pack: Must-Have Items For Next Fall
Congratulations to all of our Round One admitted students! Now that you’re in at Booth, you may be wondering how to best prepare for the Chicago winter. The following list is The Booth Experience Team’s recommendations on the top 5 purchases you should make between now and next fall. 1a. Eddie Bauer Superior Down Parka … Continue reading Booth Gear Pack: Must-Have Items For Next Fall →
Director
Director
Send PM
Booth Gear Pack: Must-Have Items For Next Fall [#permalink]
FROM Booth Student Perspectives Blog: Booth Gear Pack: Must-Have Items For Next Fall
Congratulations to all of our Round One admitted students! Now that you’re in at Booth, you may be wondering how to best prepare for the Chicago winter. The following list is The Booth Experience Team’s recommendations on the top 5 purchases you should make between now and next fall. 1a. Eddie Bauer Superior Down Parka … Continue reading Booth Gear Pack: Must-Have Items For Next Fall →
Director
Director
Send PM
a boothie thanksgiving: 10 days across peru [#permalink]
FROM The Booth Experience: a boothie thanksgiving: 10 days across peru
Immediately after the aircraft touched down in Lima, loud chanting and song broke out across the plane. After seeing the confused look on my face, the gentleman next to me kindly explained that millions from across South America were currently flying into Lima for the biggest soccer match of the year – the Copa Libertadores … Continue reading a boothie thanksgiving: 10 days across peru →
Director
Director
Send PM
a boothie thanksgiving: 10 days across peru [#permalink]
FROM Booth Student Perspectives Blog: a boothie thanksgiving: 10 days across peru
Immediately after the aircraft touched down in Lima, loud chanting and song broke out across the plane. After seeing the confused look on my face, the gentleman next to me kindly explained that millions from across South America were currently flying into Lima for the biggest soccer match of the year – the Copa Libertadores … Continue reading a boothie thanksgiving: 10 days across peru →
Director
Director
Send PM
The World is Your Classroom: Global Social Impact Practicum (Part I) [#permalink]
FROM The Booth Experience: The World is Your Classroom: Global Social Impact Practicum (Part I)
As Fall Quarter wraps up, most Boothies are gearing up for some much needed rest and relaxation. For fifteen of my classmates and me, however, our term is not quite over. Once our finals are complete this week, we will jet off to India as part of the Global Social Impact Practicum (GSIP), a class … Continue reading The World is Your Classroom: Global Social Impact Practicum (Part I) →
Director
Director
Send PM
The World is Your Classroom: Global Social Impact Practicum (Part I) [#permalink]
FROM Booth Student Perspectives Blog: The World is Your Classroom: Global Social Impact Practicum (Part I)
As Fall Quarter wraps up, most Boothies are gearing up for some much needed rest and relaxation. For fifteen of my classmates and me, however, our term is not quite over. Once our finals are complete this week, we will jet off to India as part of the Global Social Impact Practicum (GSIP), a class … Continue reading The World is Your Classroom: Global Social Impact Practicum (Part I) →
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  48   
Moderators:
Booth & Sloan Moderator
38 posts
Booth and Haas Moderator
44 posts