GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 May 2018, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HEC Paris MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
How to Fine-Tune Your Pitch [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2018, 08:01
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: How to Fine-Tune Your Pitch
Staying one step ahead of the competition during a job interview is tough, and stressful. That’s why HEC Paris recently asked alumnus Jacques Birol (H ’74) to come to campus and share his top tips for selling yourself to potential employers. A “master pitcher” himself, Jacques was able to bounce back from a failed venture in Polynesia and, with 2 other cofounders, convince banks to invest €2.5 million in their startup. When Keljob went public, the employment website was valued at €90 million.

Jacques’ current company, Less & More, offers workshops for business owners and managers. He’s been called “likely the best coach for entrepreneurs in France” by Patrice Begay of BPIfrance Université.

Below are a few tips taken from Jacques’ trademarked presentation, “How to Pitch Yourself as a Champion,” shared during the 2018 HEC Alumni Forum:

• Be energetic. Approach a job interview as a competition; everyone else who is applying for this role are your competitors. They will all be focused on getting the job and will bring their own energy. Make sure you bring yours.

[*]
Jacques Birol during the Alumni Forum

Enjoy the interview process. The whole hiring process is a game, so make sure you enjoy playing it. Having a smile on your face during an interview will go a long way. It will also rub off on everyone else in the room.[/list]

[*]Avoid negative words. The audience will take particular notice of anything negative you say. For example, instead of “having a problem,” say you “overcame a challenge.”[/list]

[*]Do not be excessive. Be careful not to talk too much, limit your words and be direct in what you say. Do not overpitch your role. If you are applying for a job, state the skills you have that are relevant for said job, not for the job that is the next level up. Know your role and target it.[/list]

[*]Repeat key words. If you are trying to make a key point during your pitch, repeat some of the more important words and they will imprint themselves in the minds of your audience.[/list]

[*]What makes you interesting from an outsider’s perspective? Why are you different from all the other people who have also applied for this job? Talk to your friends and family. Ask them what they like about you, what they find unusual, unexpected about yourself. Use these points in your interview and be proud of them.[/list]

[*]Where have you been successful? It’s all well and good claiming past successes. Make sure you have hard evidence of your achievements. This will verify your competences and impress your target audience.[/list]

The post How to Fine-Tune Your Pitch appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Student Voice: Shelbie Vermette [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 03:00
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Student Voice: Shelbie Vermette
Shelbie Vermette, MBA ’18, knows how to get—and keep—your attention. As the founder of a visual branding consultancy, she’s helped over a dozen of Canada’s top publishers strategize and implement a unique “look” for their online and print publications. In the almost four years that she served as director of photography at The Grid Toronto, the weekly newspaper earned 60 art and design accolades, including being named the “World’s Best Designed Newspaper.”

Recently, we caught up with Shelbie to learn why she decided to pursue an MBA after almost a decade of award-winning work.

Why did you go back to school?

While I was earning my fine arts degree, I found that I really enjoy the business aspects of art: conceptualising and brainstorming ideas, assembling the right team and watching the project take off. My ideal job would be working as a chief marketing officer for a globalised brand that stands for something I believe in. I need an MBA to reach that goal. In addition, doing an MBA is one of the best ways to become a responsible leader.

What are some of your key takeaways from the MBA program?

One of the major aspects of any MBA program is that they throw more at you than you can handle, and you have to learn to get it done, and get it done well. So the MBA is teaching me a lot about prioritizing, time management and teamwork.

Also, because I’m not a traditional candidate—literally everything I knew about business before the MBA I had learned through trial and error—I’m learning a lot about what drives market value, and what I could do better as a leader going forward.

You completed the HEC Paris – Kering Luxury Certificate. How would you describe that experience?

My team was selected to present our idea for a new business model for the Saint Laurent brand. We made a 20-minute presentation to the executive jury, which included CEO Francesca Belletini, CFO Laurent Aymard and the brand’s Global HR Director. Ultimately, my team and I were thrilled to be selected as the challenge winners. We learned from each other, we pushed each other, and we developed the idea to its fullest potential. I loved every minute of it.

What would you say to someone like yourself, who doesn’t have a “traditional” MBA background, but is considering an MBA? 

Do it! There’s definitely a huge learning curve and the first semester will be an adjustment, but your return on investment is going to be amazing. Personally, I think that I will grow more than any other student in my intake, just because of where I started from.

The post Student Voice: Shelbie Vermette appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Manager
Manager
Student Voice: Shelbie Vermette [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 03:01
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Student Voice: Shelbie Vermette
Shelbie Vermette, MBA ’18, knows how to get—and keep—your attention. As the founder of a visual branding consultancy, she’s helped over a dozen of Canada’s top publishers strategize and implement a unique “look” for their online and print publications. In the almost four years that she served as director of photography at The Grid Toronto, the weekly newspaper earned 60 art and design accolades, including being named the “World’s Best Designed Newspaper.”

Recently, we caught up with Shelbie to learn why she decided to pursue an MBA after almost a decade of award-winning work.

Why did you go back to school?

While I was earning my fine arts degree, I found that I really enjoy the business aspects of art: conceptualising and brainstorming ideas, assembling the right team and watching the project take off. My ideal job would be working as a chief marketing officer for a globalised brand that stands for something I believe in. I need an MBA to reach that goal. In addition, doing an MBA is one of the best ways to become a responsible leader.

What are some of your key takeaways from the MBA program?

One of the major aspects of any MBA program is that they throw more at you than you can handle, and you have to learn to get it done, and get it done well. So the MBA is teaching me a lot about prioritizing, time management and teamwork.

Also, because I’m not a traditional candidate—literally everything I knew about business before the MBA I had learned through trial and error—I’m learning a lot about what drives market value, and what I could do better as a leader going forward.

You completed the HEC Paris – Kering Luxury Certificate. How would you describe that experience?

My team was selected to present our idea for a new business model for the Saint Laurent brand. We made a 20-minute presentation to the executive jury, which included CEO Francesca Belletini, CFO Laurent Aymard and the brand’s Global HR Director. Ultimately, my team and I were thrilled to be selected as the challenge winners. We learned from each other, we pushed each other, and we developed the idea to its fullest potential. I loved every minute of it.

What would you say to someone like yourself, who doesn’t have a “traditional” MBA background, but is considering an MBA? 

Do it! There’s definitely a huge learning curve and the first semester will be an adjustment, but your return on investment is going to be amazing. Personally, I think that I will grow more than any other student in my intake, just because of where I started from.

The post Student Voice: Shelbie Vermette appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
A castle, a picturesque lake and our newest MBA students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 03:00
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: A castle, a picturesque lake and our newest MBA students
Hours after finishing the fast-paced, multi-day business game known as Negosim, students in the January 2018 intake embarked on a different type of adventure—Integration Weekend.

Designed as a fun retreat to one of France’s most luxurious corporate resorts, the event transported HEC Paris MBA students to Les Fontaines, a wooded estate originally owned by the Rothschild family. The 52-hectare property boasts a fairytale castle, an indoor pool with thermal baths, and tree-lined paths meandering to a picturesque lake.

All fun and games

It is the perfect place for getting to know your MBA classmates.

Navya Ekkirala, MBA ’19, who worked in banking in India, was one of the students who participated in the unique excursion. “Literally everything was the best part: the pool, the main course, the desserts, the wines, everything,” she says.  “It’s going to be a lifelong memory for me.”

Though scheduled activities revolved around gourmet meals, icebreaking games and even a DJ, much of the weekend was intentionally left unstructured. “It was so relaxing,” Navya says. “Though I’d already met many of my batch mates, the weekend provided us with a different type of opportunity to connect. There was absolutely no end to the conversation. I found myself discussing complex business topics, girly topics and the world at large.”

Stanislav Gorozhankin and Navya Ekkirala play to win

As with every Integration Weekend, the intent was simple: to develop bonds between MBA participants. To that end, students played games such as “popcorn,” where everyone takes turns popping into the center of a circle to share a fact about themselves, and engaged in a professionally organized teambuilding session.

“The mood was great,” says Ahmed Esbi, MBA ’18. “Saturday night I went to bed at 2 am, and the dance floor was still going strong.”

The next visit to the resort is planned for the HEC Paris MBA’s September 2018 intake.

The post A castle, a picturesque lake and our newest MBA students appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
A castle, a picturesque lake and our newest MBA students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 03:01
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: A castle, a picturesque lake and our newest MBA students
Hours after finishing the fast-paced, multi-day business game known as Negosim, students in the January 2018 intake embarked on a different type of adventure—Integration Weekend.

Designed as a fun retreat to one of France’s most luxurious corporate resorts, the event transported HEC Paris MBA students to Les Fontaines, a wooded estate originally owned by the Rothschild family. The 52-hectare property boasts a fairytale castle, an indoor pool with thermal baths, and tree-lined paths meandering to a picturesque lake.

All fun and games

It is the perfect place for getting to know your MBA classmates.

Navya Ekkirala, MBA ’19, who worked in banking in India, was one of the students who participated in the unique excursion. “Literally everything was the best part: the pool, the main course, the desserts, the wines, everything,” she says.  “It’s going to be a lifelong memory for me.”

Though scheduled activities revolved around gourmet meals, icebreaking games and even a DJ, much of the weekend was intentionally left unstructured. “It was so relaxing,” Navya says. “Though I’d already met many of my batch mates, the weekend provided us with a different type of opportunity to connect. There was absolutely no end to the conversation. I found myself discussing complex business topics, girly topics and the world at large.”

Stanislav Gorozhankin and Navya Ekkirala play to win

As with every Integration Weekend, the intent was simple: to develop bonds between MBA participants. To that end, students played games such as “popcorn,” where everyone takes turns popping into the center of a circle to share a fact about themselves, and engaged in a professionally organized teambuilding session.

“The mood was great,” says Ahmed Esbi, MBA ’18. “Saturday night I went to bed at 2 am, and the dance floor was still going strong.”

The next visit to the resort is planned for the HEC Paris MBA’s September 2018 intake.

The post A castle, a picturesque lake and our newest MBA students appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Introducing Students to Lean Thinking [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 09:00
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Introducing Students to Lean Thinking
With the nervous anxiety of our first exams and the excitement of the looming winter break, we assumed the leadership of the Industry Club in December 2017 and took over club operations in early 2018. My fellow club members and I decided that our main mission would be to increase awareness among current MBA students about the trends and functions in various industries.

The 2018 MBA Industry Club members with Francis Ramiandrasoa after his presentation

March 2 marked a special day for us at the club as we welcomed our first guest speaker, Francis Ramiandrasoa, Lean Senior Expert & Coach at Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance. Mr. Ramiandrasoa, MBA ’03, has over 20 years’ experience as a Certified Six-Sigma Black Belt and Lean Sensei. He also has an impressive track record developing people and improving operational performance across continents and industries. We believed that this talk would pique interest among future leaders at the HEC Paris MBA to learn and adapt Lean Thinking, especially when organizations around the world are increasing emphasis on operational efficiencies.

The event began with a 40-minute presentation titled “A Short Introduction to Lean Thinking” by Mr. Ramiandrasoa. During this presentation, he eloquently defined the concept of Lean and its origin/history.  He shared information about a project he worked on in South Korea, where he helped improve efficiencies by adopting these principles, and finally concluded his talk by demonstrating the differences between Six-Sigma and Lean through a practical example.

After the presentation, students had an opportunity to meet Mr. Ramiandrasoa informally over drinks to gain additional insights about his career and experiences. Overall, the event was a huge success as evidenced by positive feedback we received from the attendees.

The post Introducing Students to Lean Thinking appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Introducing Students to Lean Thinking [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 09:01
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Introducing Students to Lean Thinking
With the nervous anxiety of our first exams and the excitement of the looming winter break, we assumed the leadership of the Industry Club in December 2017 and took over club operations in early 2018. My fellow club members and I decided that our main mission would be to increase awareness among current MBA students about the trends and functions in various industries.

The 2018 MBA Industry Club members with Francis Ramiandrasoa after his presentation

March 2 marked a special day for us at the club as we welcomed our first guest speaker, Francis Ramiandrasoa, Lean Senior Expert & Coach at Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance. Mr. Ramiandrasoa, MBA ’03, has over 20 years’ experience as a Certified Six-Sigma Black Belt and Lean Sensei. He also has an impressive track record developing people and improving operational performance across continents and industries. We believed that this talk would pique interest among future leaders at the HEC Paris MBA to learn and adapt Lean Thinking, especially when organizations around the world are increasing emphasis on operational efficiencies.

The event began with a 40-minute presentation titled “A Short Introduction to Lean Thinking” by Mr. Ramiandrasoa. During this presentation, he eloquently defined the concept of Lean and its origin/history.  He shared information about a project he worked on in South Korea, where he helped improve efficiencies by adopting these principles, and finally concluded his talk by demonstrating the differences between Six-Sigma and Lean through a practical example.

After the presentation, students had an opportunity to meet Mr. Ramiandrasoa informally over drinks to gain additional insights about his career and experiences. Overall, the event was a huge success as evidenced by positive feedback we received from the attendees.

The post Introducing Students to Lean Thinking appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Learning to Pitch your Startup [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 11:00
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Learning to Pitch your Startup
The MBA Entrepreneurship Club held a workshop on “How to Pitch Effectively,” on March 1.

The workshop, facilitated by Michel Safars, HEC Paris Affiliate Professor and Academic Director of the MBA’s Entrepreneurship Specialization, started with the participants explaining their knowledge of pitching and sharing what we wanted to learn from the training. During his introduction, Professor Safars emphasized the need to understand the expectations of the venture capitalists (VCs) at different stages – there are different expected outcomes at the seed stage than at the growth stage. He also gave us a reality check, saying, “If I want five customers and I want three VCs, how many times will I have to pitch? A lot.”

According to Professor Safars, the first 30 seconds of every pitch needs to be a compelling summary of the business proposal. Every pitch should also include an introduction to the people who make up the team, with an explanation of who they are, why we picked them, and what individual skills they offer. This is of utmost importance to building trust and confidence in our ideas, he explained.

We also saw five pitches by student teams and heard feedback from Professor Safars and a student volunteer. To have insights from a fellow student provided the teams with an “outside the investor`s room” perspective that was very insightful.

During one pitch, Professor Safars asked a student volunteer to wait outside the classroom until the team had finished its presentation. When the student re-entered the room, he requested that another student who’d heard the pitch explain it to the person. “The benefit of a good pitch is that once you convince someone, they will turn around and convince other people for you,” he said. “A good pitch is one that is repeatable by other people.”

Other major takeaways:

• When preparing for a pitch, learn as much as you can about the person or the company that you are pitching to.
  • Interact with the audience throughout the session to gauge their interest and understanding of the discussed content.
Based on the feedback we received from the 30 attendees after the pitching workshop, the entire event was a success. As one student said, “It was so interactive. Professor Safars is amazing and the feedback he shared was so honest, to the point and facilitated learning. Eagerly awaiting the next pitch session!”

The post Learning to Pitch your Startup appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Learning to Pitch your Startup [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2018, 11:01
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Learning to Pitch your Startup
The MBA Entrepreneurship Club held a workshop on “How to Pitch Effectively,” on March 1.

The workshop, facilitated by Michel Safars, HEC Paris Affiliate Professor and Academic Director of the MBA’s Entrepreneurship Specialization, started with the participants explaining their knowledge of pitching and sharing what we wanted to learn from the training. During his introduction, Professor Safars emphasized the need to understand the expectations of the venture capitalists (VCs) at different stages – there are different expected outcomes at the seed stage than at the growth stage. He also gave us a reality check, saying, “If I want five customers and I want three VCs, how many times will I have to pitch? A lot.”

According to Professor Safars, the first 30 seconds of every pitch needs to be a compelling summary of the business proposal. Every pitch should also include an introduction to the people who make up the team, with an explanation of who they are, why we picked them, and what individual skills they offer. This is of utmost importance to building trust and confidence in our ideas, he explained.

We also saw five pitches by student teams and heard feedback from Professor Safars and a student volunteer. To have insights from a fellow student provided the teams with an “outside the investor`s room” perspective that was very insightful.

During one pitch, Professor Safars asked a student volunteer to wait outside the classroom until the team had finished its presentation. When the student re-entered the room, he requested that another student who’d heard the pitch explain it to the person. “The benefit of a good pitch is that once you convince someone, they will turn around and convince other people for you,” he said. “A good pitch is one that is repeatable by other people.”

Other major takeaways:

• When preparing for a pitch, learn as much as you can about the person or the company that you are pitching to.
  • Interact with the audience throughout the session to gauge their interest and understanding of the discussed content.
Based on the feedback we received from the 30 attendees after the pitching workshop, the entire event was a success. As one student said, “It was so interactive. Professor Safars is amazing and the feedback he shared was so honest, to the point and facilitated learning. Eagerly awaiting the next pitch session!”

The post Learning to Pitch your Startup appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
A Tour of The Peninsula Paris [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 07:00
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: A Tour of The Peninsula Paris
The most astounding part of the €3,850-a-night suite we are standing in at The Peninsula Paris isn’t its private rooftop garden overlooking the Eiffel Tower, or that all the rooms—and there are many—are so utterly luxurious that the French Ministry of Tourism has granted the hotel its highest“Palace” ranking. It’s that visible through a bedroom window is a full-size replica of L’Oiseau Blanc, the French plane that famously disappeared during the first attempted non-stop transatlantic flight.

MBA Luxury Club members met with the assistant director of HR at The Peninsula Paris

The 12 of us from the HEC Paris MBA spend a few minutes discovering the one-of-a-kind features of this suite, then move to the next treat: a private audience with Sophie Gachet, the hotel’s director of marketing. After explaining her background, which includes 15 years at LVMH, Sophie opens the floor to questions. The MBA students ask her everything from how the sales team define their KPIs to whether it’s best to start in the hospitality industry through an internship or by applying directly to a full-time job. It’s an in-depth learning experience, designed specifically for our MBA students.

The student organizer of The Peninsula Paris visit, Guillaume Bo-Kim, MBA ’19, explains.“Luxury is so much more than fashion and cosmetics” he says. “I wanted to expand into other realms, to really understand what the business dynamics are in hospitality, and the opportunities that are out there for my fellow MBAs.”

As unique as this tour is, it’s just one of many off-campus visits organized throughout the year by theHEC Paris MBA’s Luxury Club. Since September, members have toured the eyewear manufacturer Luxottica (in conjunction with the MBA PE/VC Club), gone behind-the-scenes at Christie’s Auction House and trekked to Milan for the MBA Retail and Luxury Fair.

Inside the L’Oiseau Blanc rooftop restaurant

Based on Sophie’s answers, there are plenty of opportunities for MBAs seeking to move into the hospitality sector, even ones who have never before worked in the field.  “My background in retail isn’t at all typical,” she says. “Most people enter hospitality and stay forever. There’s a big sense of community between teams, from the person who paints the rooms to the managing directors. We’re all here for the same reason: our guests.”

As our tour continues, we gain a firsthand understanding of what creates The Peninsula’s serene, refined feel. Now guided by the assistant director of human resources, we visit the hotel’s most impressive rooms. The trip winds through the rooftop dining area—again with an unforgettable view of the Eiffel Tower—and spa, and finally ends in the lobby, where an 800-piece Lasvit crystal installation, called “dancing leaves,” beckons us back to the streets near the Champs–Élysées.

The post A Tour of The Peninsula Paris appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
A Tour of The Peninsula Paris [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 07:01
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: A Tour of The Peninsula Paris
The most astounding part of the €3,850-a-night suite we are standing in at The Peninsula Paris isn’t its private rooftop garden overlooking the Eiffel Tower, or that all the rooms—and there are many—are so utterly luxurious that the French Ministry of Tourism has granted the hotel its highest“Palace” ranking. It’s that visible through a bedroom window is a full-size replica of L’Oiseau Blanc, the French plane that famously disappeared during the first attempted non-stop transatlantic flight.

MBA Luxury Club members met with the assistant director of HR at The Peninsula Paris

The 12 of us from the HEC Paris MBA spend a few minutes discovering the one-of-a-kind features of this suite, then move to the next treat: a private audience with Sophie Gachet, the hotel’s director of marketing. After explaining her background, which includes 15 years at LVMH, Sophie opens the floor to questions. The MBA students ask her everything from how the sales team define their KPIs to whether it’s best to start in the hospitality industry through an internship or by applying directly to a full-time job. It’s an in-depth learning experience, designed specifically for our MBA students.

The student organizer of The Peninsula Paris visit, Guillaume Bo-Kim, MBA ’19, explains.“Luxury is so much more than fashion and cosmetics” he says. “I wanted to expand into other realms, to really understand what the business dynamics are in hospitality, and the opportunities that are out there for my fellow MBAs.”

As unique as this tour is, it’s just one of many off-campus visits organized throughout the year by theHEC Paris MBA’s Luxury Club. Since September, members have toured the eyewear manufacturer Luxottica (in conjunction with the MBA PE/VC Club), gone behind-the-scenes at Christie’s Auction House and trekked to Milan for the MBA Retail and Luxury Fair.

Inside the L’Oiseau Blanc rooftop restaurant

Based on Sophie’s answers, there are plenty of opportunities for MBAs seeking to move into the hospitality sector, even ones who have never before worked in the field.  “My background in retail isn’t at all typical,” she says. “Most people enter hospitality and stay forever. There’s a big sense of community between teams, from the person who paints the rooms to the managing directors. We’re all here for the same reason: our guests.”

As our tour continues, we gain a firsthand understanding of what creates The Peninsula’s serene, refined feel. Now guided by the assistant director of human resources, we visit the hotel’s most impressive rooms. The trip winds through the rooftop dining area—again with an unforgettable view of the Eiffel Tower—and spa, and finally ends in the lobby, where an 800-piece Lasvit crystal installation, called “dancing leaves,” beckons us back to the streets near the Champs–Élysées.

The post A Tour of The Peninsula Paris appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Student Voice: Mamoudou Bocoum [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 03:00
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Student Voice: Mamoudou Bocoum
One of Mamoudou Bocoum’s greatest career successes is an unfinished, 3,000-hectare project. As a civil engineer, Bocoum, MBA ’18,  was working in Chad on a sustainable hydro-agricultural project predicted to improve the lives of 115,000 people. Discovering an overspending issue, he led the team which redesigned the project with a less costly but more efficient irrigation system.  When the project was later abandoned due to a lack of funding, it greatly impacted his decision to pursue an MBA. “Infrastructure plays such a key role in economic growth and poverty reduction,” Bocoum says. “I realized that instead of being involved only during the implementation phase of infrastructure-development projects, I wanted to be among the decision makers.”

We asked Bocoum how the HEC Paris MBA fits into his plans to play a role in the future development of Africa:

Why did you choose HEC Paris?

HEC’s focus on sustainable development and social business was well matched to my career goals. That and its entrepreneurial mindset were things that I didn’t find in other MBA programs. Another reason I chose HEC was the length of the program. Coming from an engineering background, I knew I would have a lot to learn on the business front, and 16 months seemed to be a good fit.

What advice would you give to someone just starting at the HEC Paris MBA?

Open your mind. You’re going to meet a lot of smart, diverse people and you won’t be the smartest. Being open to other ideas will help you incredibly. Also to make sure to get involved in everything; whether it is clubs, trips or programs, it’s all so useful.

What projects have you personally gotten involved in?

I was president of the Africa Club. We organised a number of conferences and boot camps, and put together several networking events in Paris with people who have connections to Africa. We even travelled to London to attend the European Africa Clubs Convention. Attending the convention was a definite highlight for me. Another was volunteering for HEC Africa Days. I was very involved in organizing and recruiting potential participants for the three-day event.

Team Agri Yolo, otherwise known as MBA students Mamoudou Bocoum, Shir Sheftel, Sathvik Ganesan, Tatiana Ángel and Samijoe Saroufim, at the Thought For Food Challenge

You also were in the team that created Agri Yolo. Can you explain what that was?

When we learned about the annual Thought for Food Challenge, several of the MBA students who are interested in agri-business put together a team. The TFF Challenge is an annual competition searching for answers about how to feed the 9 billion people who will be on this planet in 2050. Our idea, Agri Yolo, was a platform designed to promote investments in sustainable agriculture by connecting agribusinesses, landowners and young investors to launch new projects.

We made it to the top 10 out of over 500 entries and went to the finals in Amsterdam. I am currently working on taking the idea further and exploring if we can make it a viable entrepreneurial business project in Africa.

You are also one of the pioneers in the MBA-MPA Double Degree program with SciencesPo. Any feedback?

If you want to work in the public sector then I would definitely recommend it. It is very broad and you learn a lot about the economy, public policy and the differences between the public and private sector. There is also a rich choice of electives where everyone can find courses aligned to their interests. I focus particularly on infrastructures (business models, financing, regulation), public-private partnerships, transport policies and energy. Since my end goal is to help define infrastructure development in Africa and to find innovative solutions to finance that development, it’s been incredibly useful to me.

The post Student Voice: Mamoudou Bocoum appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Student Voice: Mamoudou Bocoum [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Student Voice: Mamoudou Bocoum
One of Mamoudou Bocoum’s greatest career successes is an unfinished, 3,000-hectare project. As a civil engineer, Bocoum, MBA ’18,  was working in Chad on a sustainable hydro-agricultural project predicted to improve the lives of 115,000 people. Discovering an overspending issue, he led the team which redesigned the project with a less costly but more efficient irrigation system.  When the project was later abandoned due to a lack of funding, it greatly impacted his decision to pursue an MBA. “Infrastructure plays such a key role in economic growth and poverty reduction,” Bocoum says. “I realized that instead of being involved only during the implementation phase of infrastructure-development projects, I wanted to be among the decision makers.”

We asked Bocoum how the HEC Paris MBA fits into his plans to play a role in the future development of Africa:

Why did you choose HEC Paris?

HEC’s focus on sustainable development and social business was well matched to my career goals. That and its entrepreneurial mindset were things that I didn’t find in other MBA programs. Another reason I chose HEC was the length of the program. Coming from an engineering background, I knew I would have a lot to learn on the business front, and 16 months seemed to be a good fit.

What advice would you give to someone just starting at the HEC Paris MBA?

Open your mind. You’re going to meet a lot of smart, diverse people and you won’t be the smartest. Being open to other ideas will help you incredibly. Also to make sure to get involved in everything; whether it is clubs, trips or programs, it’s all so useful.

What projects have you personally gotten involved in?

I was president of the Africa Club. We organised a number of conferences and boot camps, and put together several networking events in Paris with people who have connections to Africa. We even travelled to London to attend the European Africa Clubs Convention. Attending the convention was a definite highlight for me. Another was volunteering for HEC Africa Days. I was very involved in organizing and recruiting potential participants for the three-day event.

Team Agri Yolo, otherwise known as MBA students Mamoudou Bocoum, Shir Sheftel, Sathvik Ganesan, Tatiana Ángel and Samijoe Saroufim, at the Thought For Food Challenge

You also were in the team that created Agri Yolo. Can you explain what that was?

When we learned about the annual Thought for Food Challenge, several of the MBA students who are interested in agri-business put together a team. The TFF Challenge is an annual competition searching for answers about how to feed the 9 billion people who will be on this planet in 2050. Our idea, Agri Yolo, was a platform designed to promote investments in sustainable agriculture by connecting agribusinesses, landowners and young investors to launch new projects.

We made it to the top 10 out of over 500 entries and went to the finals in Amsterdam. I am currently working on taking the idea further and exploring if we can make it a viable entrepreneurial business project in Africa.

You are also one of the pioneers in the MBA-MPA Double Degree program with SciencesPo. Any feedback?

If you want to work in the public sector then I would definitely recommend it. It is very broad and you learn a lot about the economy, public policy and the differences between the public and private sector. There is also a rich choice of electives where everyone can find courses aligned to their interests. I focus particularly on infrastructures (business models, financing, regulation), public-private partnerships, transport policies and energy. Since my end goal is to help define infrastructure development in Africa and to find innovative solutions to finance that development, it’s been incredibly useful to me.

The post Student Voice: Mamoudou Bocoum appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
HEC SEED Arrives at Station F on June 6 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 06:00
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: HEC SEED Arrives at Station F on June 6
HEC SEED 2018, HEC Paris’ annual entrepreneurship summit, is opening its doors for the first time at Station F. Dedicated to accelerating the innovative projects of students and young entrepreneurs, this year’s event will give up-and-coming entrepreneurs outstanding visibility and networking opportunities by showcasing their ideas at Station F, the world’s biggest startup campus.

The June 6th event features an exciting afternoon of panel discussions, pitch competitions and networking opportunities with seasoned professionals from all areas of the entrepreneurship ecosystem. Organized by students from the HEC Paris MBA, SEED 2018 will bring together a diverse audience of entrepreneurs, students, large companies, incubation structures and venture capital investment funds. Attendance is open to anyone interested in furthering their knowledge of entrepreneurship.

More than 10,000 startups have been set up in France over the last five years, and the investment possibilities for young startups has never been stronger. Venture capitalists invested an estimated $2.7 billion in France in 2016, as reported by Business Insider, which describes France as a “seriously impressive startup ecosystem.” HEC SEED 2018 is a way for students and young startups to get noticed: it provides them with the ideal opportunity to share their projects, either by pitching in front of a panel of judges or by enabling them to meet other Seed participants, which include prospective customers and business partners.

HEC SEED 2018 Agenda

June 6, 1-8 pm

• Pitch contest: Ten startups will have 3-5 minutes to pitch their business ideas to win a €5000 grand prize and other, non-monetary awards. There will be two competitions, Concept and Scale Up. Deadline to enter is April 30: http://bit.ly/applyhecseed.
  • Panel discussions: Each panel discussion features at least two experts from each sector. Topics include: “Retail: Fashion and Tech,” “FinTech and Banks: Friend or Foe?” and “Social Entrepreneurship.” The FinTech discussion will feature Olivier Goy, founder of Lindix, Olivier Godement, head of startup operations at Stripe, and Alexandre Prot, co-founder and CEO of Qonto. Other panelists will be announced shortly.
  • HEC Innovation awards: HEC SEED 2018 is proud to host the awards ceremony for the HEC Innovation Awards, which features two prizes of €25,000.
  • Networking cocktail: The best place to meet future business partners and customers!
To buy tickets for HEC SEED 2018 or for more information about the event, go to: http://www.hecseedparis.com/.

The post HEC SEED Arrives at Station F on June 6 appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
HEC SEED Arrives at Station F on June 6 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 06:01
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: HEC SEED Arrives at Station F on June 6
HEC SEED 2018, HEC Paris’ annual entrepreneurship summit, is opening its doors for the first time at Station F. Dedicated to accelerating the innovative projects of students and young entrepreneurs, this year’s event will give up-and-coming entrepreneurs outstanding visibility and networking opportunities by showcasing their ideas at Station F, the world’s biggest startup campus.

The June 6th event features an exciting afternoon of panel discussions, pitch competitions and networking opportunities with seasoned professionals from all areas of the entrepreneurship ecosystem. Organized by students from the HEC Paris MBA, SEED 2018 will bring together a diverse audience of entrepreneurs, students, large companies, incubation structures and venture capital investment funds. Attendance is open to anyone interested in furthering their knowledge of entrepreneurship.

More than 10,000 startups have been set up in France over the last five years, and the investment possibilities for young startups has never been stronger. Venture capitalists invested an estimated $2.7 billion in France in 2016, as reported by Business Insider, which describes France as a “seriously impressive startup ecosystem.” HEC SEED 2018 is a way for students and young startups to get noticed: it provides them with the ideal opportunity to share their projects, either by pitching in front of a panel of judges or by enabling them to meet other Seed participants, which include prospective customers and business partners.

HEC SEED 2018 Agenda

June 6, 1-8 pm

• Pitch contest: Ten startups will have 3-5 minutes to pitch their business ideas to win a €5000 grand prize and other, non-monetary awards. There will be two competitions, Concept and Scale Up. Deadline to enter is April 30: http://bit.ly/applyhecseed.
  • Panel discussions: Each panel discussion features at least two experts from each sector. Topics include: “Retail: Fashion and Tech,” “FinTech and Banks: Friend or Foe?” and “Social Entrepreneurship.” The FinTech discussion will feature Olivier Goy, founder of Lindix, Olivier Godement, head of startup operations at Stripe, and Alexandre Prot, co-founder and CEO of Qonto. Other panelists will be announced shortly.
  • HEC Innovation awards: HEC SEED 2018 is proud to host the awards ceremony for the HEC Innovation Awards, which features two prizes of €25,000.
  • Networking cocktail: The best place to meet future business partners and customers!
To buy tickets for HEC SEED 2018 or for more information about the event, go to: http://www.hecseedparis.com/.

The post HEC SEED Arrives at Station F on June 6 appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
From Athlete to CEO [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 08:00
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: From Athlete to CEO
While most people are considered successful if they make it to the top of one industry, Jean Hornain, MBA ’88, has made it to the pinnacle of three.

At 18 years old, Hornain was the youngest player recruited to the 1979 French national volleyball team. After representing France in nearly 200 international competitions, a knee injury caused him to reflect on his career. That’s when things really got interesting.

First, he earned an MBA degree from HEC Paris. From there, he took a job as an Associate at a London-based investment bank. Finding he missed the teamwork so prevalent in professional sports, he went on to found , and eventually become CEO of Le Parisien, a daily newspaper.

“As a former athlete, I was not predestined for this moment,” he explained during a recent presentation at an MBA Afterwork Drinks event. “The HEC Paris MBA made it possible, transforming a volleyball player into a CEO.”

Two years ago, Hornain took over as the Managing Director of Citeo, an environmental firm dedicated to waste sorting and recycling.

During his speech at the April 5 MBA Afterwork Drinks event, Hornain named three main drivers which give meaning to his work:

1. Surround yourself with inspiring people

Hornain’s professional partners were instrumental in shaping his career ambitions. He says he has always carefully surrounded himself with people who he admires and who inspire him.

His advice: “Don’t choose a job. Instead, choose your boss, choose your colleagues, and choose the people you’re going to work with.”

2.  Build strong teams, and leverage those teams’ collective energy

Even in individual sports, Hornain says, the biggest champions have a solid team around them. The key to building that team is to create an environment and atmosphere where success is guaranteed.

His advice: “You and your teammates must share the same values. Find good, talented people, then enter into sincere and truthful relationships with them. Be yourself and allow room for emotions and vulnerability. That will create confidence, give energy and transform people.”

3. Be useful to humanity

The financial performance of a company must exist alongside a sincere commitment to the betterment of society. Companies increasingly have a role to fulfill: building a more sustainable world.

His advice: “Companies will survive only if they have a sincere commitment to the collective game, and exist in a more open, collective, cooperative mode. They must contribute to the common good, and not only to shareholders’ value.”

The post From Athlete to CEO appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
From Athlete to CEO [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 08:01
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: From Athlete to CEO
While most people are considered successful if they make it to the top of one industry, Jean Hornain, MBA ’88, has made it to the pinnacle of three.

At 18 years old, Hornain was the youngest player recruited to the 1979 French national volleyball team. After representing France in nearly 200 international competitions, a knee injury caused him to reflect on his career. That’s when things really got interesting.

First, he earned an MBA degree from HEC Paris. From there, he took a job as an Associate at a London-based investment bank. Finding he missed the teamwork so prevalent in professional sports, he went on to found , and eventually become CEO of Le Parisien, a daily newspaper.

“As a former athlete, I was not predestined for this moment,” he explained during a recent presentation at an MBA Afterwork Drinks event. “The HEC Paris MBA made it possible, transforming a volleyball player into a CEO.”

Two years ago, Hornain took over as the Managing Director of Citeo, an environmental firm dedicated to waste sorting and recycling.

During his speech at the April 5 MBA Afterwork Drinks event, Hornain named three main drivers which give meaning to his work:

1. Surround yourself with inspiring people

Hornain’s professional partners were instrumental in shaping his career ambitions. He says he has always carefully surrounded himself with people who he admires and who inspire him.

His advice: “Don’t choose a job. Instead, choose your boss, choose your colleagues, and choose the people you’re going to work with.”

2.  Build strong teams, and leverage those teams’ collective energy

Even in individual sports, Hornain says, the biggest champions have a solid team around them. The key to building that team is to create an environment and atmosphere where success is guaranteed.

His advice: “You and your teammates must share the same values. Find good, talented people, then enter into sincere and truthful relationships with them. Be yourself and allow room for emotions and vulnerability. That will create confidence, give energy and transform people.”

3. Be useful to humanity

The financial performance of a company must exist alongside a sincere commitment to the betterment of society. Companies increasingly have a role to fulfill: building a more sustainable world.

His advice: “Companies will survive only if they have a sincere commitment to the collective game, and exist in a more open, collective, cooperative mode. They must contribute to the common good, and not only to shareholders’ value.”

The post From Athlete to CEO appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
From Athlete to CEO   [#permalink] 07 May 2018, 08:01

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 57 posts ] 

HEC Paris MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap