Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: HEC Paris MBA Admissions and Related Blogs [#permalink]

The following are the MBA application deadlines for the HEC Paris September 2018 intake.
Round 1
Application due: August 15, 2017
Decision released: September 14, 2017
Round 2
Application due: September 15, 2017
Decision released: October 12, 2017
Round 3
Application due: October 15, 2017
Decision released: November 16, 2017
Round 4
Application due: November 15, 2017
Decision released: December 14, 2017
Round 5
Application due: January 1, 2018
Decision released: February 8, 2017
Round 6
Application due: February 1, 2018
Decision released: March 8, 2018
Round 7
Application due: March 1, 2018
Decision released: April 5, 2018
Round 8
Application due: April 1, 2018
Decision released: May 3, 2018
Round 9
Application due: May 1, 2018
Decision released: June 7, 2018
Round 10
Application due: June 1, 2018
Decision released: July 5, 2018
Round 11
Application due: July 1, 2018
Decision released: July 26, 2018

Application deadlines are subject to change, and decision date may be affected by interviewer availability. For more information on applying, please visit the HEC Paris MBA admissions website.

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
SVP
SVP
Send PM

Applications for the HEC Paris MBA September 2018 intake are now open, and the following are the required essay questions found within the application.

Essay 1. Why are you applying to the HEC MBA Program now? What is the professional objective that will guide your career choice after your MBA, and how will the HEC MBA contribute to the achievement of this objective? (500 words max.)

Essay 2. What do you consider your most significant life achievement? (250 words max.)

Essay 3. Leadership and ethics are inevitably intertwined in the business world. Describe a situation in which you have dealt with these issues and how they have influenced you. (250 words max.)

Essay 4. Imagine a life entirely different from the one you now lead, what would it be? (250 words max.)

Essay 5. Please choose from one of the following essays, 250 words max.:

a) What monument or site would you advise a first-time visitor to your country or city to discover, and why?

b) Certain books, movies or plays have had an international success that you believe to be undeserved. Choose an example and analyse it.

c) What figure do you most admire and why? You may choose from any field (arts, literature, politics, business, etc)

Essay 6. Optional: Is there any additional information you would like to share with us? (900 words max.)

For additional information on applying, please visit the HEC Paris MBA admissions website.

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Student Voice: Priya Ramkissoon
Priya Ramkissoon, MBA ’18, defies the stereotypes typical to Mauritius. Women in Mauritius face an intense social pressure to marry young – “30 is already too old,” she says – and to settle down locally, yet Priya came to France to earn her degrees in Economics and Finance, and now an MBA at HEC Paris.  “My mum and dad always encouraged my sisters and I to go beyond what was typical,” she says.

Midway through her 16-month-long MBA, we sat down with Priya and asked her about her experiences in the program.

Why an MBA?

I was 27 years old working as a product manager in the insurance division at Barclays Bank in Mauritius. I was about to be promoted again, but I realized that because of my age and possibly my gender, I wouldn’t progress beyond that level for a very long time, even if I deserved to based purely on merit. I wasn’t ready to say, “this is the job I’m going to have for the rest of my life.” I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and explore my options.

How does the MBA curriculum differ from what you learned during your Master’s in Finance?

A Master’s in Finance is very theoretical. The professors I had during the Master’s program were researchers, meaning that as a student, I was taught only a certain view of finance.

In business, it’s not just financial theory that’s required, but also understanding how to look logically at an entire situation. For example, what do I need to think about if I’m acquiring a company? If a company says it’s going to make so much money in the next few years, does that make sense, given the direction the industry is going in? Through the MBA, I’m gaining a broad understanding of how business works.

What about the MBA classes?

Just to give you an example, one of the professors I had was Marc Vermeulen, who has handled M&A for BNP Paribas for 37 years. The insights he shares are based on what he’s actually done during his career. His M&A class was fascinating.

How is the MBA helping you reach your career goals?

I have always been interested in efficiency in business, so I secured a summer internship with Amazon within their operations team. With this internship, I was able to discover that operations is really a career path I want to pursue.

Ironically, one of the things I’m discovering is that I really do enjoy finance classes, and maybe I should try and combine both finance and operations at a later stage in my career.

Describe your overall experience at the HEC Paris MBA.

My top three positives are the friendships that I have made, the education that I’m receiving, and the fact that the professors are absolutely great. Yesterday, I was in class with Jeremy Ghez, and I actually thought, ‘you’ve opened my mind.’ I would’ve never thought about the subject in the way he presented it.

What can you tell me about the other students in the program?

To be honest, before starting the MBA, I was not expecting to make the types of close friendships that I’ve made during the program. I’ve met people that I’m very similar to, even though we come from entirely different backgrounds. I know I’ll be friends with them my whole life.

The post Student Voice: Priya Ramkissoon appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Student Voice: Priya Ramkissoon
Priya Ramkissoon, MBA ’18, defies the stereotypes typical to Mauritius. Women in Mauritius face an intense social pressure to marry young – “30 is already too old,” she says – and to settle down locally, yet Priya came to France to earn her degrees in Economics and Finance, and now an MBA at HEC Paris.  “My mum and dad always encouraged my sisters and I to go beyond what was typical,” she says.

Midway through her 16-month-long MBA, we sat down with Priya and asked her about her experiences in the program.

Why an MBA?

I was 27 years old working as a product manager in the insurance division at Barclays Bank in Mauritius. I was about to be promoted again, but I realized that because of my age and possibly my gender, I wouldn’t progress beyond that level for a very long time, even if I deserved to based purely on merit. I wasn’t ready to say, “this is the job I’m going to have for the rest of my life.” I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and explore my options.

How does the MBA curriculum differ from what you learned during your Master’s in Finance?

A Master’s in Finance is very theoretical. The professors I had during the Master’s program were researchers, meaning that as a student, I was taught only a certain view of finance.

In business, it’s not just financial theory that’s required, but also understanding how to look logically at an entire situation. For example, what do I need to think about if I’m acquiring a company? If a company says it’s going to make so much money in the next few years, does that make sense, given the direction the industry is going in? Through the MBA, I’m gaining a broad understanding of how business works.

What about the MBA classes?

Just to give you an example, one of the professors I had was Marc Vermeulen, who has handled M&A for BNP Paribas for 37 years. The insights he shares are based on what he’s actually done during his career. His M&A class was fascinating.

How is the MBA helping you reach your career goals?

I have always been interested in efficiency in business, so I secured a summer internship with Amazon within their operations team. With this internship, I was able to discover that operations is really a career path I want to pursue.

Ironically, one of the things I’m discovering is that I really do enjoy finance classes, and maybe I should try and combine both finance and operations at a later stage in my career.

Describe your overall experience at the HEC Paris MBA.

My top three positives are the friendships that I have made, the education that I’m receiving, and the fact that the professors are absolutely great. Yesterday, I was in class with Jeremy Ghez, and I actually thought, ‘you’ve opened my mind.’ I would’ve never thought about the subject in the way he presented it.

What can you tell me about the other students in the program?

To be honest, before starting the MBA, I was not expecting to make the types of close friendships that I’ve made during the program. I’ve met people that I’m very similar to, even though we come from entirely different backgrounds. I know I’ll be friends with them my whole life.

The post Student Voice: Priya Ramkissoon appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: 7 Surprising Facts about HEC Paris
Every diligent MBA candidate can recite from memory the deadline dates and average GMAT scores of their preferred school, but only a few go in depth and really learn about the institution’s past.

Having been around for 136 years means there is much to discover about HEC Paris’ history. Here are seven facts that you might not know about France’s premier business school:

[img]https://www.mba.hec.edu/news/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Promo_1881_ss-légende2-300x169.jpg[/img]
The school’s first students

1.  The outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war in 1870 greatly impacted the school’s start date. Plans that were underway to create a business school for France’s elite were put on hold, and funding that was earmarked for building HEC Paris was funneled into the war effort. The business school was eventually established 11 years later, on November 4, 1881.

2. During the 19th and 20th centuries, women were not accepted into French business schools. An equivalent school opened specifically for women in 1916, called HEC de Jeunes Filles (HECDJF). More than 4,500 female alumni graduated from the institution before HEC Paris officially became co-educational in 1973.

The original site of HEC Paris

3. During the 1950s, plans to upgrade HEC Paris’ facilities and create more of an “American Model” of higher education caused the school to move from its former location on Rue de Tocqueville in Paris to the nearby suburbs. €81 million later and you find HEC Paris’ signature facilities situated on a forested, 300-acre campus. Then French President Charles de Gaulle inaugurated the new campus on July 9, 1964, right before summer vacation.

4. The Grand Chateau at HEC Paris has changed enormously since its creation in the late 15th century. Wealthy owners such as Armand Seguin, the legendary tanner who supplied all the leather for Napoleon’s armies, and the d’Escoubleau family, remodeled – or, in Seguin’s case, burned down and rebuilt – the estate to suit their own particular styles. Its last private owner before it became home to HEC Paris Executive Education was the famous Mallet banking family who sold it in the 1950s.

5. The HEC Paris’ Chateau has played a key role on the international stage. In 1856, the Franco-Austrian peace treaty was signed in the building, witnessed by then resident Antoine-Louis Rouillé and Queen Theresa Maria of Austria. (This treaty was later amended to become the Treaty of Versailles in 1857).

A resident parakeet

6. The campus wildlife population includes deer and smaller animals, including parakeets. There are a number of theories as to how these exotic birds ended up in the Parisian suburbs. The most interesting, yet somewhat unlikely, theory extends back to the reign of Louis XV.  An avid collector of exotic animals, Louis XV housed parrots at the Palace of Versailles a mere ten kilometers away from campus. It is not entirely implausible that a number of birds escaped, and were able to breed and survive in the region’s moderate climate. Still, the more likely explanation is that the birds’ escaped containment upon landing at Orly Airport in the 1990s and have since spread across all of Île-de-France.

7. HEC Paris boasts numerous alumni in prestigious business roles across the world, but less well known is its graduates’ influence on global politics. Famous politicians throughout HEC Paris’ history include:

• François Hollande, President of France (Class of 1975)
  • Abdoul Mbaye, Prime Minister of Senegal (Class of 1976)
  • Hervé de Charette, Minister of French Foreign Affairs (Class of 1960)
  • Son Sann, Prime Minister of Cambodia (Class of 1933)
  • Francisco Madero, President of Mexico (Class of 1892)
The post 7 Surprising Facts about HEC Paris appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: 7 Surprising Facts about HEC Paris
Every diligent MBA candidate can recite from memory the deadline dates and average GMAT scores of their preferred school, but only a few go in depth and really learn about the institution’s past.

Having been around for 136 years means there is much to discover about HEC Paris’ history. Here are seven facts that you might not know about France’s premier business school:

[img]https://www.mba.hec.edu/news/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Promo_1881_ss-légende2-300x169.jpg[/img]
The school’s first students

1.  The outbreak of the Franco-Prussian war in 1870 greatly impacted the school’s start date. Plans that were underway to create a business school for France’s elite were put on hold, and funding that was earmarked for building HEC Paris was funneled into the war effort. The business school was eventually established 11 years later, on November 4, 1881.

2. During the 19th and 20th centuries, women were not accepted into French business schools. An equivalent school opened specifically for women in 1916, called HEC de Jeunes Filles (HECDJF). More than 4,500 female alumni graduated from the institution before HEC Paris officially became co-educational in 1973.

The original site of HEC Paris

3. During the 1950s, plans to upgrade HEC Paris’ facilities and create more of an “American Model” of higher education caused the school to move from its former location on Rue de Tocqueville in Paris to the nearby suburbs. €81 million later and you find HEC Paris’ signature facilities situated on a forested, 300-acre campus. Then French President Charles de Gaulle inaugurated the new campus on July 9, 1964, right before summer vacation.

4. The Grand Chateau at HEC Paris has changed enormously since its creation in the late 15th century. Wealthy owners such as Armand Seguin, the legendary tanner who supplied all the leather for Napoleon’s armies, and the d’Escoubleau family, remodeled – or, in Seguin’s case, burned down and rebuilt – the estate to suit their own particular styles. Its last private owner before it became home to HEC Paris Executive Education was the famous Mallet banking family who sold it in the 1950s.

5. The HEC Paris’ Chateau has played a key role on the international stage. In 1856, the Franco-Austrian peace treaty was signed in the building, witnessed by then resident Antoine-Louis Rouillé and Queen Theresa Maria of Austria. (This treaty was later amended to become the Treaty of Versailles in 1857).

A resident parakeet

6. The campus wildlife population includes deer and smaller animals, including parakeets. There are a number of theories as to how these exotic birds ended up in the Parisian suburbs. The most interesting, yet somewhat unlikely, theory extends back to the reign of Louis XV.  An avid collector of exotic animals, Louis XV housed parrots at the Palace of Versailles a mere ten kilometers away from campus. It is not entirely implausible that a number of birds escaped, and were able to breed and survive in the region’s moderate climate. Still, the more likely explanation is that the birds’ escaped containment upon landing at Orly Airport in the 1990s and have since spread across all of Île-de-France.

7. HEC Paris boasts numerous alumni in prestigious business roles across the world, but less well known is its graduates’ influence on global politics. Famous politicians throughout HEC Paris’ history include:

• François Hollande, President of France (Class of 1975)
  • Abdoul Mbaye, Prime Minister of Senegal (Class of 1976)
  • Hervé de Charette, Minister of French Foreign Affairs (Class of 1960)
  • Son Sann, Prime Minister of Cambodia (Class of 1933)
  • Francisco Madero, President of Mexico (Class of 1892)
The post 7 Surprising Facts about HEC Paris appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: LGBT+Business Club Networks in Boston

Louis Doumier moderates at the conference

Eight students, accompanied by Caroline MacDonald from the school’s Career Center, raised the HEC Paris MBA flag at the 20th annualReaching Out MBA (ROMBA)Conference in Boston, Massachusetts. Our students joined an estimated 1,600 participants from other European and American business schools, more than 100 companies interested in MBA talent, and celebrities such as Margaret Cho and Anderson Cooper in the largest gathering of LGBT MBA and graduate students and alumni in the world.

HEC Paris made its mark at the October 12-14th event by being one of the few European schools in attendance, and also by sharing in plenaries and talks. Former LGBT+ Business Club President Louis Doumier moderated a panel on Building Your Online Brand, leading speakers Donna Wright of T-Mobile, Kevin Smith of Kevin W. Smith Consulting, and Steven Tamaroglio of United Airlines in an engaging discussion of the do’s and don’ts of social media.

HEC Paris MBA at the gala dinner

Current LGBT + Business Club President Raphael Fonseca and his board members shared best practices with over 20 other clubs during the LGBTQ MBA Club Leadership Forum. Their advice was appreciated by other clubs from smaller-sized MBA programs, and by the delegates wanting to start their own school clubs.

The conference was a success not just in terms of attendance, but because of the deep connections and networks that our students built with other business schools and with companies that strive to celebrate diversity in the workplace.

The post LGBT+Business Club Networks in Boston appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: LGBT+Business Club Networks in Boston

Louis Doumier moderates at the conference

Eight students, accompanied by Caroline MacDonald from the school’s Career Center, raised the HEC Paris MBA flag at the 20th annualReaching Out MBA (ROMBA)Conference in Boston, Massachusetts. Our students joined an estimated 1,600 participants from other European and American business schools, more than 100 companies interested in MBA talent, and celebrities such as Margaret Cho and Anderson Cooper in the largest gathering of LGBT MBA and graduate students and alumni in the world.

HEC Paris made its mark at the October 12-14th event by being one of the few European schools in attendance, and also by sharing in plenaries and talks. Former LGBT+ Business Club President Louis Doumier moderated a panel on Building Your Online Brand, leading speakers Donna Wright of T-Mobile, Kevin Smith of Kevin W. Smith Consulting, and Steven Tamaroglio of United Airlines in an engaging discussion of the do’s and don’ts of social media.

HEC Paris MBA at the gala dinner

Current LGBT + Business Club President Raphael Fonseca and his board members shared best practices with over 20 other clubs during the LGBTQ MBA Club Leadership Forum. Their advice was appreciated by other clubs from smaller-sized MBA programs, and by the delegates wanting to start their own school clubs.

The conference was a success not just in terms of attendance, but because of the deep connections and networks that our students built with other business schools and with companies that strive to celebrate diversity in the workplace.

The post LGBT+Business Club Networks in Boston appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Students Sail to Victory in the Rolex Regatta
Gold watches, spritz cocktails, fireworks – it’s easy to see why HEC Paris MBA students trek to the Italian Riviera every year to take part in the Rolex MBA’s Regatta and Conference. The glamorous event, organised by SDA Bocconi, takes place in the picturesque port town of Santa Margherita Ligure. Along with high-end perks, the regatta features two days of competitive sailing between 20 business schools from all over the world.

Twenty schools competed this year

“It’s a really great event,” says Mihai Speteanu, MBA ’18, skipper for HEC Paris’ 2017 team. “Students participate to meet people, and you can network with 400 students from 60 countries.”

Of course, the first priority is sailing. The HEC Paris MBA students and alumni who participated in the 2017 event arrived a day early to inspect their boat – rented from local residents – and to practice together on the water.

Placing a commendable fourth in the first heat on September 29, despite having a few members who had never sailed before, Mihai says his crew soon found themselves racing with growing confidence. By the end, HEC Paris MBA had placed 2nd in the Offshore Class. Despite the competitive nature of the majority of races, there was an opportunity to sail at a more social level with the “Cruising Class,” which allowed participants to spend time on the water in a less pressurised environment, where they could relax and simply enjoy themselves.

The Cruising Class

Along with the casual parties hosted by the students each evening, an elegant gala dinner capped off the sporting weekend. Held at La Cervara, a former monastery built in 1361, students were able to sip cocktails and watch a fireworks show from the restaurant’s garden, which directly overlooks the sea.

How do I take part in this event?

All aboard!

The team is organised by the HEC Paris Sailing Club, with participants selected on a first-come, first-served basis. With a cost of €550 to cover boat rental, it is a good value-for-money trip as Rolex sponsors the majority of other costs. To join the sailing club, either email current president Melinda Aulie or Mihai Speteanu, or join during the next Welcome Week in January. With places for the trip next year being in hot demand, be sure to apply early!

The post Students Sail to Victory in the Rolex Regatta appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Students Sail to Victory in the Rolex Regatta
Gold watches, spritz cocktails, fireworks – it’s easy to see why HEC Paris MBA students trek to the Italian Riviera every year to take part in the Rolex MBA’s Regatta and Conference. The glamorous event, organised by SDA Bocconi, takes place in the picturesque port town of Santa Margherita Ligure. Along with high-end perks, the regatta features two days of competitive sailing between 20 business schools from all over the world.

Twenty schools competed this year

“It’s a really great event,” says Mihai Speteanu, MBA ’18, skipper for HEC Paris’ 2017 team. “Students participate to meet people, and you can network with 400 students from 60 countries.”

Of course, the first priority is sailing. The HEC Paris MBA students and alumni who participated in the 2017 event arrived a day early to inspect their boat – rented from local residents – and to practice together on the water.

Placing a commendable fourth in the first heat on September 29, despite having a few members who had never sailed before, Mihai says his crew soon found themselves racing with growing confidence. By the end, HEC Paris MBA had placed 2nd in the Offshore Class. Despite the competitive nature of the majority of races, there was an opportunity to sail at a more social level with the “Cruising Class,” which allowed participants to spend time on the water in a less pressurised environment, where they could relax and simply enjoy themselves.

The Cruising Class

Along with the casual parties hosted by the students each evening, an elegant gala dinner capped off the sporting weekend. Held at La Cervara, a former monastery built in 1361, students were able to sip cocktails and watch a fireworks show from the restaurant’s garden, which directly overlooks the sea.

How do I take part in this event?

All aboard!

The team is organised by the HEC Paris Sailing Club, with participants selected on a first-come, first-served basis. With a cost of €550 to cover boat rental, it is a good value-for-money trip as Rolex sponsors the majority of other costs. To join the sailing club, either email current president Melinda Aulie or Mihai Speteanu, or join during the next Welcome Week in January. With places for the trip next year being in hot demand, be sure to apply early!

The post Students Sail to Victory in the Rolex Regatta appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: At Ease With That Awkward Question

MBA student Benoit Savignac authored a book about teaching soft skills in undergraduate school

The room feels bigger than it actually is. You are seated in a typical conference room, a space occupied by 20 dark shaded chairs, a bare whiteboard and a teleconference unit perfectly positioned in the middle of a giant table. In this corporate environment, you are having an interesting conversation: a job interview.

So far, so good. The analytic questions and the case study were easier to solve than you had anticipated. In hindsight, it was the right move to put all those hours into cracking cases.

Everything is going exactly as planned. Then, one simple question and you lose control of the situation:

“So, what are your salary expectations?”

Silent, you face the dilemma that everyone faces during the recruiting process: be aggressive and burn your chances of getting the job, or aim too low and settle for less than you are worth?

Salary discussions are never easy. In fact, a recent survey by Salary.com reveals that an estimated 41 percent of North Americans didn’t negotiate their salaries before accepting a job offer. Even with lots of experience, a salary negotiation is one of the most complex situations you’re likely to find yourself in before starting a new job.

Here’s a few tips to help you successfully navigate your next job offer:

It’s all about the 3 P’s: Preparation, Preparation and Preparation
  • Gather information BEFORE the interview.

What is the average compensation in your industry for the position that you are applying for? Do you have a connection in your network that has years of experience in the industry that can help you realistically define your expectations? Have you researched similar positions on job boards and websites specialized in salary comparisons for the city in which you will be working? Good research is the key to setting your salary expectations.
  • Define a salary range.

People tend to focus too much on a single salary number. Remember, your compensation package can include much more than just your salary (e.g., sign-on bonus, annual sales bonus, insurance, food per diems, reimbursement of gym expenses, vehicle use, etc.). Hence, define a bargaining range within which you would accept an offer, taking into account all of the different types of compensation offered.
  • Be reasonable but confident.

Reality check: there’s hundreds of new graduates or unemployed workers that would kill for this job. That doesn’t mean that you should accept to work at any price, even if a difficult economy means that job offers are scarce and candidates are plentiful. Define your expectations in a way that is fair to yourself and to the company making the offer. If the salary range is acceptable for both parties, then you can start negotiating confidently.
  •  Offer something.

It’s not only about what you want and the price tag of your skills, it is also about what you will bring to the table. If the negotiations are in a deadlock, explore what more you can offer to the company. Do you have a large network that the company could leverage? Remember: having the company’s interests in mind can help identify how you could help it to thrive and thus, bring more to the table to help you negotiate your compensation.
A satisfying walk in the park
The salary question is not something to avoid. After all, you want to be fairly compensated for the work you do for a company. You do a great job, you should strive to be properly paid. Therefore, instead of fearing that awkward moment when the bottom line is discussed, prepare yourself before the interview. There are several ways to tackle this discussion without appearing aggressive. Remember: it’s a discussion, not a monologue. If the salary doesn’t match to your expectations, explore other negotiation avenues such as benefits and bonuses.

You are worth something. Be creative, be bold and a salary agreement will be within reach.

The post At Ease With That Awkward Question appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: At Ease With That Awkward Question

MBA student Benoit Savignac authored a book about teaching soft skills in undergraduate school

The room feels bigger than it actually is. You are seated in a typical conference room, a space occupied by 20 dark shaded chairs, a bare whiteboard and a teleconference unit perfectly positioned in the middle of a giant table. In this corporate environment, you are having an interesting conversation: a job interview.

So far, so good. The analytic questions and the case study were easier to solve than you had anticipated. In hindsight, it was the right move to put all those hours into cracking cases.

Everything is going exactly as planned. Then, one simple question and you lose control of the situation:

“So, what are your salary expectations?”

Silent, you face the dilemma that everyone faces during the recruiting process: be aggressive and burn your chances of getting the job, or aim too low and settle for less than you are worth?

Salary discussions are never easy. In fact, a recent survey by Salary.com reveals that an estimated 41 percent of North Americans didn’t negotiate their salaries before accepting a job offer. Even with lots of experience, a salary negotiation is one of the most complex situations you’re likely to find yourself in before starting a new job.

Here’s a few tips to help you successfully navigate your next job offer:

It’s all about the 3 P’s: Preparation, Preparation and Preparation
  • Gather information BEFORE the interview.

What is the average compensation in your industry for the position that you are applying for? Do you have a connection in your network that has years of experience in the industry that can help you realistically define your expectations? Have you researched similar positions on job boards and websites specialized in salary comparisons for the city in which you will be working? Good research is the key to setting your salary expectations.
  • Define a salary range.

People tend to focus too much on a single salary number. Remember, your compensation package can include much more than just your salary (e.g., sign-on bonus, annual sales bonus, insurance, food per diems, reimbursement of gym expenses, vehicle use, etc.). Hence, define a bargaining range within which you would accept an offer, taking into account all of the different types of compensation offered.
  • Be reasonable but confident.

Reality check: there’s hundreds of new graduates or unemployed workers that would kill for this job. That doesn’t mean that you should accept to work at any price, even if a difficult economy means that job offers are scarce and candidates are plentiful. Define your expectations in a way that is fair to yourself and to the company making the offer. If the salary range is acceptable for both parties, then you can start negotiating confidently.
  •  Offer something.

It’s not only about what you want and the price tag of your skills, it is also about what you will bring to the table. If the negotiations are in a deadlock, explore what more you can offer to the company. Do you have a large network that the company could leverage? Remember: having the company’s interests in mind can help identify how you could help it to thrive and thus, bring more to the table to help you negotiate your compensation.
A satisfying walk in the park
The salary question is not something to avoid. After all, you want to be fairly compensated for the work you do for a company. You do a great job, you should strive to be properly paid. Therefore, instead of fearing that awkward moment when the bottom line is discussed, prepare yourself before the interview. There are several ways to tackle this discussion without appearing aggressive. Remember: it’s a discussion, not a monologue. If the salary doesn’t match to your expectations, explore other negotiation avenues such as benefits and bonuses.

You are worth something. Be creative, be bold and a salary agreement will be within reach.

The post At Ease With That Awkward Question appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: Getting Immersed in the French Culture

Claude Martinez, the CEO of Parfums Dior, chats with Sumana Khound

Visiting a place as a tourist is totally different from living there. I realized this very soon after moving to the HEC Paris campus for the MBA program. Having visited France twice before, I thought I was well versed in the French culture. What little did I know back then…

During the first month of our program, the MBA’s French Connection Club organized a French Cultural Week designed to give us a local’s view of the country. Who could imagine that a trip to Louvre could help us better understand HEC values? If you had told me beforehand that having a face-to-face conversation with the CEO of Parfums Christian Dior would be easy, I would’ve never believed you.

We started the week with a “Talk on Hidden Paris” given by Dr. Jennifer Wallace. Jennifer introduced us to a historical side of Paris that is almost unknown to tourists. She recommended visiting areas that perfectly embody the changes the city has undergone. Her presentation was so inspiring that a group of us explored the places she recommended the following weekend.

Wine and cheese is the “heart and soul” of France, so the MBA’s Wine and Spirits Club organized an evening wine-tasting event. Participants learned about unique wines from different regions of France. The next morning, a typical French breakfast was served, including four viennoiseries: croissants, pains au chocolat, pain aux raisins and chausson aux pommes with fresh juice.

At La Belle Époque

That evening, Claude Martinez, the CEO of Parfums Christian Dior and an HEC Paris alumnus, came to campus as part of the HEC Global Leaders Series. It was very motivating to learn about his career journey from wanting to be a professional footballer to becoming the CEO of one of the biggest luxury perfume brands in the world. He spoke about the company’s current focus, which helped students envision global career opportunities, and discussed its innovative “Dior Love Chain” campaign. He also brought 30 LMVH employees with him to network with us. The icing on the cake was that each attendee received a bottle of Miss Dior perfume as a gift.

The next day was a culinary extravaganza. We had a food truck from Brittany offering delicious crepes at lunch, then chef Philippe Delaune prepared a 4-course French menu especially for us at his La Belle Époque restaurant.

A private tour of the Louvre

On Thursday, thematic visits were organized in different parts of Paris. We could choose between Passages Couverts de Paris, Street Art in Paris and Tour of the Louvre: Symbols of Power and Leadership. The trip to Louvre was my personal favorite. Our tour guide made the link between great artworks housed at the museum and the leadership themes that encompass HEC Paris MBA’s values. The visit was a unique, once-in-a-lifetime learning experience.

To end the eventful week, we had a party in our very own P-bar in Expansiel, the on-campus, MBA residence. We celebrated with French craft beers, wine, champagne and music.

I want to thank the French Connection Club and all the other organizers for making us feel part of the French culture. With the bar set so high, we now have big expectations for the Indian and American Cultural Weeks coming up. No pressure for the organizers, just saying!

The post Getting Immersed in the French Culture appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: Getting Immersed in the French Culture

Claude Martinez, the CEO of Parfums Dior, chats with Sumana Khound

Visiting a place as a tourist is totally different from living there. I realized this very soon after moving to the HEC Paris campus for the MBA program. Having visited France twice before, I thought I was well versed in the French culture. What little did I know back then…

During the first month of our program, the MBA’s French Connection Club organized a French Cultural Week designed to give us a local’s view of the country. Who could imagine that a trip to Louvre could help us better understand HEC values? If you had told me beforehand that having a face-to-face conversation with the CEO of Parfums Christian Dior would be easy, I would’ve never believed you.

We started the week with a “Talk on Hidden Paris” given by Dr. Jennifer Wallace. Jennifer introduced us to a historical side of Paris that is almost unknown to tourists. She recommended visiting areas that perfectly embody the changes the city has undergone. Her presentation was so inspiring that a group of us explored the places she recommended the following weekend.

Wine and cheese is the “heart and soul” of France, so the MBA’s Wine and Spirits Club organized an evening wine-tasting event. Participants learned about unique wines from different regions of France. The next morning, a typical French breakfast was served, including four viennoiseries: croissants, pains au chocolat, pain aux raisins and chausson aux pommes with fresh juice.

At La Belle Époque

That evening, Claude Martinez, the CEO of Parfums Christian Dior and an HEC Paris alumnus, came to campus as part of the HEC Global Leaders Series. It was very motivating to learn about his career journey from wanting to be a professional footballer to becoming the CEO of one of the biggest luxury perfume brands in the world. He spoke about the company’s current focus, which helped students envision global career opportunities, and discussed its innovative “Dior Love Chain” campaign. He also brought 30 LMVH employees with him to network with us. The icing on the cake was that each attendee received a bottle of Miss Dior perfume as a gift.

The next day was a culinary extravaganza. We had a food truck from Brittany offering delicious crepes at lunch, then chef Philippe Delaune prepared a 4-course French menu especially for us at his La Belle Époque restaurant.

A private tour of the Louvre

On Thursday, thematic visits were organized in different parts of Paris. We could choose between Passages Couverts de Paris, Street Art in Paris and Tour of the Louvre: Symbols of Power and Leadership. The trip to Louvre was my personal favorite. Our tour guide made the link between great artworks housed at the museum and the leadership themes that encompass HEC Paris MBA’s values. The visit was a unique, once-in-a-lifetime learning experience.

To end the eventful week, we had a party in our very own P-bar in Expansiel, the on-campus, MBA residence. We celebrated with French craft beers, wine, champagne and music.

I want to thank the French Connection Club and all the other organizers for making us feel part of the French culture. With the bar set so high, we now have big expectations for the Indian and American Cultural Weeks coming up. No pressure for the organizers, just saying!

The post Getting Immersed in the French Culture appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: MBA Fair Dishes Up International Foods

Siddharth Gurnani, one of the event’s organizers

In its role as the MBA’s favorite way of ordering fresh, home-cooked meals, Our Kitchen has served up delicious dishes from far-flung corners of the world. Last week’s event hosted by the student-run startup proved no exception: on the menu for “Around the World in Many Plates” were countless tantalizing and traditional dishes from students’ homelands, including Bobotie and rice from South Africa, Gua Bao from Taiwan and Hainanese Chicken Rice from Singapore. In all, 24 students and their partners came together to cook for more than 100 members of the MBA community, in an evening-long party that included drinks, music and raffle prizes. 

“Having held a food-fair event when we launched Our Kitchen earlier this year, it felt like just the thing to do to bring all the MBA intakes and partners together,” explained Siddharth Gurnani, MBA ’18, one of Our Kitchen’s founders. “This was the vision behind the startup – a community that creates real-life connections among people, with home-cooked food being the primary vehicle.”

Siddharth added that the Wednesday, November 8th event was also designed to continue the Our Kitchen legacy, by identifying individuals who would be interested in cooking and sharing meals with other students after the startup’s founders graduate. In total, the event raised more than 1,500 euros, with the profits going to the individual chefs, or “kitchens” in Our Kitchen lingo, who participated.

To learn more about the event, visit Siddharth’s blog.

All photos courtesy of Antonio Mont’Alverne, MBA ’18

The post MBA Fair Dishes Up International Foods appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog1: MBA Fair Dishes Up International Foods

Siddharth Gurnani, one of the event’s organizers

In its role as the MBA’s favorite way of ordering fresh, home-cooked meals, Our Kitchen has served up delicious dishes from far-flung corners of the world. Last week’s event hosted by the student-run startup proved no exception: on the menu for “Around the World in Many Plates” were countless tantalizing and traditional dishes from students’ homelands, including Bobotie and rice from South Africa, Gua Bao from Taiwan and Hainanese Chicken Rice from Singapore. In all, 24 students and their partners came together to cook for more than 100 members of the MBA community, in an evening-long party that included drinks, music and raffle prizes. 

“Having held a food-fair event when we launched Our Kitchen earlier this year, it felt like just the thing to do to bring all the MBA intakes and partners together,” explained Siddharth Gurnani, MBA ’18, one of Our Kitchen’s founders. “This was the vision behind the startup – a community that creates real-life connections among people, with home-cooked food being the primary vehicle.”

Siddharth added that the Wednesday, November 8th event was also designed to continue the Our Kitchen legacy, by identifying individuals who would be interested in cooking and sharing meals with other students after the startup’s founders graduate. In total, the event raised more than 1,500 euros, with the profits going to the individual chefs, or “kitchens” in Our Kitchen lingo, who participated.

To learn more about the event, visit Siddharth’s blog.

All photos courtesy of Antonio Mont’Alverne, MBA ’18

The post MBA Fair Dishes Up International Foods appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM HEC Paris Admissions Blog: HEC Paris MBA Ranks No. 3 in the World for Global MBA Programs
The HEC Paris MBA is proud to announce it is No. 2 in Europe, and No. 3 in world, out of 232 schools, in the QS Global MBA Rankings 2018 .

“I am pleased that the program has done so well in such an analytical, statistically based ranking,” said Andrea Masini, Associate Dean of the HEC Paris MBA. “The MBA worldwide marketplace is extremely competitive, and the QS placement shows that our continuing efforts to ensure that our program and our graduates stand out are paying off.”

The rankings report, the first of its kind, rates the HEC Paris MBA an impressive 89.9 out of a possible 100 points overall. It gives the program a perfect 100-point score in the category of “employability,” which surveys 158,000 global employers across all sectors and industries, and also takes into account the number of students who accept job offers three months after graduation.

One of the most heavily weighted sections of the ranking looks at MBA programs’ Return on Investment. The ROI is calculated by balancing tuition fees, forgone salary and cost-of-living expenses incurred while pursuing the degree with the annual salary and bonus earned after the program. In this category, the HEC Paris MBA scores markedly higher than its 70 European counterparts. It achieves a score of 83.8 compared to the European mean of 59.3. It also earns a substantially better score in ROI than the global average, in which the mean is 53 among the 232 schools included in the ranking.

These rankings represent a growing number of accolades for the HEC Paris MBA. The Economist’s 2017 Full-Time MBA ranking named the program the No. 1 MBA program in Europe, and the Times Higher Education Alma Mater Index, recognized it in 2017 as the top business school in Europe for educating the CEOs of Fortune Global 500 companies.

The full rankings can be found on the QS GLOBAL MBA website.

To download the QS Fact File for the HEC Paris MBA, click here.

The post HEC Paris MBA Ranks No. 3 in the World for Global MBA Programs appeared first on HEC Paris MBA News.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts