GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 08:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CMU Tepper MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
Giving Thanks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 08:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Giving Thanks
Given that Thanksgiving is upon us, it’s only fitting that I use my latest post to provide some of the things for which I give thanks.

First, I give thanks for you! I have been in higher education a long time and every year I am energized by the talented and interesting prospective students that I meet. Please keep introducing yourself to me when you see me at an event! I enjoy getting to know you and I am excited about what potential contributions you could make to the Tepper School.

Second, I give thanks for our admissions team. I love working alongside such a hard-working, talented and fun team. Some of my favorite stories come from their great interactions with all of you! I hope that in your life – whether personal or professional – you are able to surround yourself with people who are passionate about what they do and who push you to be better. I am thankful to have a family (both at home and in admissions) who does just that.

Lastly, I give thanks for rest. I think we all should. In the busyness of life – for us it’s recruitment travel around the world and reviewing applicants – I believe it’s important to take a pause and recharge. For you, it may be taking a moment to rest from working on your B-school application or thinking about your admission decision (after you read this post, of course!) to appreciate where you are in your career and the exciting possibility of what comes next! We all need some downtime and I am looking forward to spending a few days with my family to recharge.
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Director
Director
Round Two Application Deadline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2017, 11:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Round Two Application Deadline
It is hard to believe December is already here! In addition to preparing for the busy holiday season ahead, many of you are preparing to submit your application to meet the January 4 second-round application deadline. Round two candidates will receive an admission decision on March 14. Candidates applying through the Consortium by January 5 will be included into our second round as well.

I know that once you submit your application that waiting is the hardest part of the process! I encourage you to keep in touch with our office and keep an eye on the admission blog for updates. To give you a sense of what to expect, within a week of the application deadline we will extend the first of a series of interview invitations for round two. For us, the interview is a pivotal part of the application and we want to utilize our interview resource capacity as early in the round as possible. 

Don’t sweat it if you aren’t among those who receive an early invitation. We need to start the process somewhere and literally conduct interviews up through a few days prior to the decision notification date. Check your email regularly!

Good luck with your applications!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
Director
Director
Tuesday Tips: Stay Calm  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 07:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tuesday Tips: Stay Calm
I write my tips to you today knowing that we are just a few days before releasing round one admission decisions. While this is an exciting time in our office, I certainly acknowledge that waiting for a decision can be nerve-wracking.

I also know that some of you are planning to apply in round two and may be nervous about the road ahead. (P.S.: The application deadline for round two is January 4, so you still have plenty of time to prepare.) So, wherever you are in the admission process, I have some tips for keeping calm:

• Be confident. Take heart in the preparation you took (or are taking) to submit your application and all of its components. We can tell the hard work you put into your application and promise that we are reviewing everything very thoroughly. 
  • Be prepared. We are still reaching out to candidates to invite them to interview, so don’t stop checking your email or answering your phone. Often times, we are still conducting interviews a few days before we release decisions. Stay prepared and be ready if that invitation comes. (Read my previous Tuesday Tips for some interview notes!)
  • Be flexible. While I wish that we had the ability to admit every one of you, the reality is that sometimes we need some more time to assess the competitiveness of our applicant pool. As such, you may receive a waitlist decision for round one. That does not mean it’s the end of the Tepper road for you. We review (and possibly invite to interview) our waitlisted candidates in each new round, so stay engaged with the admission committee and keep us updated with anything regarding your candidacy. Just because we weren’t able to provide an admission decision in round one doesn’t mean we won’t be able to in future rounds!
  • Be present. This is a hard one for all of us! To get your mind off of the impending admission decision, take a walk, meet with friends or cook a good dinner — these are things you can control today. I promise that our admission committee takes our responsibility very seriously. We have enjoyed — and will enjoy if you plan to submit in round two — getting to know you through the application process, but we won’t show our cards before December 13. 
I hope that this helps you stay calm during this waiting period.

Director
Director
Round One Decisions: In the Books!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 14:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Round One Decisions: In the Books!
It’s finally December 13 and our round one decisions have been released! I think I can hear a collective deep breath being taken across the admissions suite and I imagine you have taken one as well. I have written about our round one busyness over the past several months and it’s hard to believe that here we are with the first round behind us. While I look forward to some quieter days over the holidays, I am also looking forward to starting right back up with round two in January.

So, what happens next? No matter the outcome of your admission decision, know that we seriously consider every application and appreciate your hard work and thoughtfulness in submitting your application. For those of you who are currently on our waitlist, I’ll have some words for you in early January about some steps you might take to stay engaged with the Admissions team. If you were offered admission, stay tuned through the Countdown website. A lot of exciting and important information will be posted in the coming months. Also, be sure to mark your calendar for Welcome Weekend, which will be held April 13-14, 2018.

For those of you who plan to apply in round two, now is your time! I imagine you are putting the finishing touches on your application and getting ready to submit. Please know that the university will be closed December 23- January 2. If you have any last minute questions about submitting your application, be sure to email or call by December 22 if you need a reply before we leave for the holiday.  Otherwise, Judy Nardiello will be busy getting back to you on Wednesday, January 3 – just in time to hit the submit button.

Director
Director
Thoughts on the Waitlist  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 12:01
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Thoughts on the Waitlist
Happy New Year from wintery, beautiful Pittsburgh! Our round one decisions were released almost one month ago, and I wanted to take some time today to write to anyone who received a waitlist decision. While I suspect you were hoping for some finality to this stage of the admission process, I do want to offer some encouragement and next steps as you begin this waiting period.

• You presented a competitive application. As such, there is a chance that you may be admitted in a later round. We will review your application each round and provide you an updated decision on the day of our subsequent decision notification dates. 
  • We may want to interview you (if you haven’t already been interviewed). Be prepared; a phone call or email may be sent asking for you to schedule an interview. This is your opportunity to speak with an admissions officer regarding your professional background and experience. Keep your business suit nearby! 
  • We do consider admitting candidates from the waitlist in each round. While it’s not a requirement, your completion of the priority waitlist form lets us know that you are still highly interested in joining the Tepper MBA program.
  • Read the FAQs on the priority waitlist form. You are able to upload many new or updated documents to your application record, including updated GMAT scores, updated resume, grades from any courses you have taken or anything else you think would boost the competitiveness of your application. 
  • Stay patient! I am a big planner. If you are anything like me, I know you want to plan what the next several years of your life will look like. I promise that we are working diligently to provide you with a decision. Be sure to also check your email, as we will be sending out monthly emails about the Tepper School so that you can stay current with everything that is happening on campus. 
Director
Director
Tuesday Tips: Network and Connect with Your Classmates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2018, 12:01
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tuesday Tips: Network and Connect with Your Classmates
As I write today’s tips, there are some familiar sounds in our hallways again.  Our students are back from break! The new semester brings with it a renewed energy for both classes and recruiting -- and that’s the motivation for my tips today.

As you look to begin the Tepper MBA program, I want to stress the importance of networking and getting to know your (potential) future classmates. These are the individuals with whom you may be spending more time over the next two (or three for part-timers) years than you’ve ever spent with anyone else. You’ll want to get to know them! So, how can you do that?

• To get to know each other, you need to meet each other! Schedule a campus visit, attend any of our special events and meet your classmates! (Welcome Weekend, for our admitted candidates, is April 13-14.)
  • Meet your classmates virtually. I don’t pretend to know all of the newest messaging apps, but I know there are plenty! So, whether it’s our Admitted Student Facebook group (if you’ve been admitted, make sure to join), Slack, WhatsApp or old-school letters and postcards, keep in touch! Exchange contact information and see if someone in your city or town is also planning on attending the Tepper School and wants to meet up for dinner.
  • Put yourself out there. If you are headed to the Tepper School and are looking for a 1-bedroom apartment, consider a renting a two-bedroom apartment and find a roommate who is also a future Tepper student. (I promise I’m not a realtor on the side!) You’ll need support a network; what better way to build a support system than through sharing a dinner table while working on Optimization homework?
  • Ask us how to connect! Our office is happy to connect you with your classmates. The best vehicle might be our Facebook group, but we may also have a classmate in mind whom we think you’d enjoy getting to know. Perhaps your partner or family are also making the move to Tepper with you; we can provide resources so that you know the best ways for your family to connect with others. 
Whichever way you prefer to connect, the important piece is that you do! While there will be many opportunities to get to know classmates during BaseCamp, it never hurts to know a few friendly faces and share resources before you begin your first class.
Director
Director
Tepper Women in Business Conference  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 15:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tepper Women in Business Conference
I want to take some time today to share information about our upcoming  (pdf), which will be held Sunday, February 18, here in Pittsburgh.

As I reflect on my own career and the opportunities for professional growth that I enjoy, I can’t help but be excited about this conference. This year’s conference focuses on practical skills that encourage women to support women in the workplace.  The sessions will provide strategies to interrupt the stories we tell ourselves and to effectively use feedback from others so we all rise together.

As a partnership between the Tepper Women in Business Club, Tepper School Forté Fellows, and our Accelerate Leadership Center, this conference is designed for women but open to all current students who are eager to build a stronger network and develop professionally.

(pdf).

Director
Director
Tepper Women in Business Conference  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 08:01
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tepper Women in Business Conference
In light of Valentine’s Day, I thought it would only be fitting to share some tips on maintaining your relationships. That’s right, relationships! I promise that I’m not changing this blog into an advice column. What I’d like to spend today’s tips discussing is the importance of making sure those who have provided assistance throughout your admission process know they are appreciated.

Chances are, in addition to meeting with your recommender, you also had some guidance in the MBA admission process along the way. Whether your partner offered to read your essay, your co-worker gave feedback on your resume or your mentor provided sage advice, I think there’s merit in making sure the people who were integral in your MBA admission preparation know that you are grateful! So, treat them to a lunch, write a personal note of thanks or send some flowers -- it is Valentine’s Day after all -- and let them know you appreciate their guidance.

Those whom we surround ourselves with quickly become our network; this is something you will experience in b-school. The classmates who turn into friends will be the ones you call to ask to prep for an interview and the professors who offer their mentorship will be the resources you consult years from now when you want their expertise on a project.

A strong network is something that can continue to grow as you make this transition into b-school. While this growth is exciting, I would recommend that you blend it with your current network as well – after all, they are the ones who helped get you to where you are today.

Director
Director
Tuesday Tips: Maintain Your Relationships  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 14:01
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tuesday Tips: Maintain Your Relationships
In light of Valentine’s Day, I thought it would only be fitting to share some tips on maintaining your relationships. That’s right, relationships! I promise that I’m not changing this blog into an advice column. What I’d like to spend today’s tips discussing is the importance of making sure those who have provided assistance throughout your admission process know they are appreciated.

Chances are, in addition to meeting with your recommender, you also had some guidance in the MBA admission process along the way. Whether your partner offered to read your essay, your co-worker gave feedback on your resume or your mentor provided sage advice, I think there’s merit in making sure the people who were integral in your MBA admission preparation know that you are grateful! So, treat them to a lunch, write a personal note of thanks or send some flowers — it is Valentine's Day after all — and let them know you appreciate their guidance.

Those whom we surround ourselves with quickly become our network; this is something you will experience in b-school. The classmates who turn into friends will be the ones you call to ask to prep for an interview and the professors who offer their mentorship will be the resources you consult years from now when you want their expertise on a project.

A strong network is something that can continue to grow as you make this transition into b-school. While this growth is exciting, I would recommend that you blend it with your current network as well – after all, they are the ones who helped get you to where you are today.

Director
Director
Admitted Student Welcome Weekend  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 09:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Admitted Student Welcome Weekend
I’ve been working in higher education for almost 20 years, and I’ve learned a lot about multi-tasking. It is imperative to keeping everything straight! We are about to head into a stretch of weeks here in Admissions that often makes my head spin. Within the next month or so, we will finish up round two application reviews, release round two decisions, begin round three application reviews and interview invitations and host our biggest event – Welcome Weekend.

I always use Welcome Weekend as a bit of an anchor. I know that when it arrives, it means we’ve made it through much of our busy season and its almost time for new students to join us on campus. For those of you who have been admitted in round one (and our round two hopefuls), I want to share a bit more about this special weekend – Welcome Weekend.

Taking place Friday, April 13 and Saturday, April 14, Welcome Weekend is an admitted student weekend devoted entirely to our incoming students. Friday provides an opportunity to connect with your future classmates, learn about student clubs and life in Pittsburgh (Let’s Go Pens!) and hear more about becoming part of our Tepper community. Dinner Friday night is a cocktail reception at Heinz Field, overlooking the field.

Saturday brings a day filled with information specific to our MBA program and curriculum. We’ll have sessions that highlight leadership and analytics, and you’ll get hear more directly from our deans and our faculty. We end Saturday with our favorite tradition, B**rs, where we’ll gather to enjoy some good food and drinks and some even better company. Rumor has it that our current students will be hosting some of their own festivities Saturday evening.

If you’ve been admitted to the Tepper School in round one and if you are admitted in round two (on March 14), we’d love to see you in Pittsburgh. Partners are welcome, so save the date and plan to spend your weekend getting more excited about your life at Tepper. I hope to see you there!
Director
Director
Round Two Decisions: Released to All!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 12:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Round Two Decisions: Released to All!
The weather is alternating between snow and bright blue skies here in Pittsburgh on March 14; that’s the truest indicator that it’s March. The second biggest indicator is that round two decisions have been released! If you are a recently admitted round two candidate (or one of our round one deposited folks), I look forward to seeing you at Welcome Weekend, April 13-14!

I want to thank each of you who submitted an application in round two. We thank you for your thoughtful responses and all of your effort to make your applications as competitive as possible. Our team spent the last three months immersed in application reviews and they are just as excited as I am to welcome everyone to campus.

I hope that everyone (me, included) can now take a moment to catch their breath and begin to look forward to the next several months. For us, we’ve got rounds three and four, as well as Welcome Weekend (our favorite weekend) to look forward to. For you, it’s preparing for the next two or three years of your life as a Tepper MBA student!

Welcome!

Director
Director
The In-between Time  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 14:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: The In-between Time

Here we are in the in-between time. Our incoming students arrive in less than two weeks and our first application deadline is Oct. 3. Being in-between our new students joining and the first application deadline, the admissions team has transitioned its work to meeting prospective students who are looking to start the MBA program next fall. You will find us on the road in major U.S. cities as well as Latin America, Europe, East Asia, and India. We are also eager to invite you to come to campus to meet our students and check out our new home at the Tepper Quad! Can’t travel to an event or to campus? No worries. We offer regular virtual events to get you connected to the Tepper School! In the early fall, make sure you join us for Discover the Difference@Tepper, our webinar series that highlights the experiences of various groups within the Tepper School community. (A full fall schedule will be available in mid-August.) We look forward to sharing information about the Tepper MBA program and provide some tips for preparing your application. Speaking of applying, the Tepper MBA application will be available in mid-August. For those who wish to get a head start, new essay questions are available and we eagerly anticipate reading your responses! We invite re-applicants to join us for a webinar on Aug. 17 and monthly application workshops will begin in September. For insights into preparing your strongest application, please join us to learn more about how the Tepper Admissions Committee considers and evaluates each component of the application. In-between your decision to pursue an MBA and applying, we look forward to meeting you – at an event near you, on campus, or virtually. Take advantage of the opportunity to connect with alumni and current students who are excited to share their Tepper School experience!

Back to the MBA Admissions Blog
Director
Director
Now Presenting Our Fall 2019 Application!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 14:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Now Presenting Our Fall 2019 Application!

Hello from hot and sunny Pittsburgh! This has been an exciting few weeks here in Pittsburgh. We officially moved into our new home, The Tepper Quad, a few weeks ago.  Our full-time students have arrived and our part-time students will be here in a few short weeks. I’ll be writing more about life in the Tepper Quad in a few weeks; as excited as I am about our new home and the students who are filling it, I’m equally excited to let everyone know that our Fall 2019 application is live! I’ve written this before, but it’s worth saying again that we really love this time of year and the anticipation that a new application cycle brings. Whether you know exactly when you will apply or whether you are still thinking about your next steps, I’d like to encourage you to do a few things:

• Visit the Tepper School - Our campus visit registration for Mini 1 is now available, so take some time and come get to know us! If you are interested in our Online Hybrid program and would like to join a class, you can sign up to virtually attend as well.
  • Check out our Class Profiles - Wondering if there is a “typical” Tepper profile we’d like to see? Take a look at our current students to see that, for us, there is no such thing as typical!
  • Use our website as a resource - We’ve loaded the website with application tips – from providing the one required essay prompt to detailing more about the interview invitation process and providing detailed application instructions, our goal is to keep you informed.
  • Attend an online Application Workshop - Spend an hour of your time listening to tips and insights on our application. We walk you through our expectations and how you can make your application as competitive (and clearly presented) as possible!
As we continue to welcome new and returning Tepper students to the Tepper Quad, we also look forward to getting to know you over the next year! Keep in touch with our office and stay tuned for more blog updates throughout the year. Happy applying!

Director
Director
Tuesday Tips: Use Our Class Profiles  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 11:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tuesday Tips: Use Our Class Profiles

Welcome to the first edition of Tuesday Tips for the Fall 2019 application cycle! Our MBA Class Profiles for the Fall 2018 incoming class were recently completed and I want to provide some insight on why they matter and how you should use them.

In general, the class profiles are meant to provide information and insight into the backgrounds of our current students. Below are some additional dos and don’ts for using our class profiles.

Do:

• Read through the class profiles to learn more about the backgrounds of our current students. There are separate profiles for each incoming class: Full-Time, Part-Time Online, and Part-Time On-Campus.
  • Use the class profiles for guidance when trying to determine your fit with the Tepper MBA. Look at the country and regions from which our students come; do you see your home country or region? Check the academic backgrounds and industry experience of our students; is there something similar to what you have done? Use this as just one more resource to learning more about the Tepper School and who we are.
  • Talk to current students about these profiles. They are the ones whose backgrounds informed these facts! Our website has a great feature which highlights our current students and provides their background information – check it out!
Do not:

• Get discouraged or count yourself out of the admission process if your background doesn’t match what you see in our class profiles. We value diversity and different backgrounds are just one way in which we believe the class can be enriched.
  • Spend too much time worrying about our "averages." They are averages for a reason! The Admission process is holistic and we value every component of your application equally. While you can use our GMAT and GPA numbers to guide your process, do not think that the Admission committee has the numbers posted to their computer monitors and you are automatically counted out if you don’t meet them.
Ultimately, we provide these class profiles because we know that you want to know more about our current students and their backgrounds. Our hope is that you find some information that is useful.

Director
Director
It’s Almost Time for Diversity Weekend, Nov. 2-4  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 12:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: It’s Almost Time for Diversity Weekend, Nov. 2-4

I can hardly believe I just wrote that sentence! Fall has definitely arrived in Pittsburgh. For us, that means application reading, interviewing, and the anticipation of hosting our Diversity Weekend!

If you’ve had a chance to speak with any of us in MBA Admissions (hopefully you’ve met us on the road or come to campus) or any of our students, I hope we’ve been able to share with you what a vibrant community we have at the Tepper School. We truly believe that a diverse student body, staff, and faculty all help to create a richer, more valuable experience for you.

As planning is in full swing for Diversity Weekend, taking place Nov. 2-4, we are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to host you in our new Tepper Quad! I especially want to take a moment to highlight some of what you can expect during this exciting few days:

• A highlight of the value of a Tepper MBA and the strengths of our program
  • A showcase of the differences and advantages of our diverse community
  • Application and funding tips for your MBA
  • Time spent picturing yourself attending class in the Tepper Quad
If you are intrigued but are unsure if you should attend, I encourage you to check out our Diversity Weekend information. This is the headquarters for the weekend! On the page, you’ll find more information about this weekend, including which student groups will be available and what organizations we partner with – all in hopes of promoting a diverse and dynamic community here at the Tepper School! You can also give us a call (412.268.5687). We’d love to share more about the weekend.

Registration for Diversity Weekend is still open and we are adding more folks to the list each day. We are excited to see everyone who will be attending and I encourage you to consider spending the first weekend in November with us!

GMAT Club Bot
It’s Almost Time for Diversity Weekend, Nov. 2-4 &nbs [#permalink] 16 Oct 2018, 12:02

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

CMU Tepper MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: abhimahna

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap