It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 22:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

CMU Tepper MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 0

CMU Tepper MBA Admissions and Related Blogs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2015, 18:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ImageBy Adam Hoff, Amerasia Consulting Group

Time to break out an annual PSA here.  I'm talking all alarms ringing, sirens, whatever it takes to get your attention.  By "you" I mean: anyone applying to business school.  You need to stop doing something immediately.  Here it is:
STOP TRYING TO "DIFFERENTIATE" YOURSELF.  [/b]
Or at least, stop doing it without a professional by your side.  Let's dive into the 4 Rules of Differentiation before someone gets hurt.

Rule #1 - Do not "differentiate yourself" with a panicked career change.  [/b]Throwing a Hail Mary at the last second is not a good idea.  Trying to scramble to a cooler or sexier or "more noble" company is not going to make you stand out as a candidate - it's going to make you look directionless or (worse) fake.  Now, some people change jobs (even right before applying) and that is fine, as long as there is a logical reason for it - ranging from "I hate my current job and may walk into traffic unless I leave it" to "this is a unique opportunity that I have to take."  However, don't change just to change under some faulty logic that they are going to see "Adam Hoff, SpaceX" rather than "Adam Hoff, J.P. Morgan" and start doing backflips.  If there is no logical reason to go work at SpaceX, then don't go work there.  They look at your whole resume - and mainly to see what skills you have, not what brands you racked up - so it's not like changing the "current employer" line is going to change the formula for who you are. This is all risk, no reward.  Would you do anything else in your life that is "all risk, no reward"?  I am guessing not.

Rule #2 - Listing a hard job to get as your short-term goal is not "differentiating."  If you only read one rule, read this one.  Please!  Read it again. Done?  Read it again.  Okay, you get the point.  I have heard many, many times the past two years the idea from candidates that they want to pick post-MBA job X or Y because it will help "differentiate" them.  In basically every case, the job in question is somewhere between "insanely hard" and "impossible" to get after graduating from business school.  I'm talking hedge funds, VC, luxury retail, etc.  I've even heard the quote, "What I really want to do is work in management consulting so I can really see what works and what doesn't and build towards my dream of starting company Z - but I feel like everyone puts management consulting so I want to find something else."  Well, yeah, everyone puts it because management consulting firms hire lots of MBA grads.  And they do that because they need talent and energy to feed an "up or out" machine - and the reason that grads take those jobs is because they can indeed learn what works and what doesn't as they make some good money and build towards the next step.  It's a win for both parties ... so if that is what you want to do and it makes sense, why fight it?  Either way, the worst thing to do is list a job you pretty much can't get, all in some misguided attempt to stand out.  You will stand out all right -for your cratering effect on their employment stats.  Insta-ding.

Rule #3 - The "quick and easy" place to differentiate is in the WHY of your long-term career goal.  I have probably written more about MBA career goals than any subject on earth, so I won't belabor the point now, except to say that you can use your long-term goal to share parts of yourself that are deeply held, introspective, and unique.  That's how you differentiate yourself.  Not "hey, look at how I left Goldman to go work at an oil company for no reason" and not "all these other guys may want to take the slam dunk of management consulting, but I want a c-suite job at Prada!" - no, it's "what I want to do for the rest of my life is X, and the reason is [something that is unique and specific and deeply personal to you.]  That is how you do it.  If you need a mental shifting device, try this: most admissions officers would much rather read a great novel or watch a great TV show than hear a business pitch or dial up a TED Talk.  Don't try to stand out ("differentiate") with your ambition, win them with your humanity.
Rule #4 - The real, pure way to differentiate yourself is to do the app right.  Do you know how many people submit truly great apps?  No joke, my guess from what I've seen is about 1% of the applicant pool.  I'm talking about: 1) a strong baseline profile (3.3 and above, 700 and above, solid impact in the workplace), 2) a really good resume (a sales document that advertises that impact in different contexts), 3) essays that are easy to read, 4) essays that are structured correctly, 5) essays with thesis statements, 6) essays that are introspective (see Rule #3), and 7) essays that nail the DNA of the school in question.  If you check all seven boxes, you just differentiated yourself.  Rather than searching for some magic bullet, just do a really good job.  If you had to read dozens of files each day and only a few were really good, you'd be pumped when you read the handful that were.  I know it's boring and self-serving to lay this out for you, but that doesn't make the advice any less true, so there you have it.

If you need help differentiating yourself in a way that does good rather than harm to your app, email us at mba@amerasiaconsulting.com or visit us at http://www.amerasiaconsulting.com/contact.  You aren't going to hear buzz words or lame gimmicks, just a breakdown of the hard, steady work required for a great app.  

Director
Director

Re: CMU Tepper MBA Admissions and Related Blogs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 09:58

Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business has posted the following full-time MBA application deadlines for the 2016-2017 admissions season.
Round 1
Application due: October 2, 2016
Decision released: December 14, 2016
Round 2
Application due: January 2, 2017
Decision released: March 15, 2017
Round 3
Application due: March 12, 2017
Decision released: May 10, 2017

For additional information, please visit the MBA admissions page of the CMU Tepper website.Image

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2016, 10:37

Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business has posted the updated MBA essay questions for the 2016-2017 admissions season. This year, there is only one required essay—down from two in the last cycle. They are:
Required Essay
Imagine that you meet up with a member of the admission committee at an airport while on a layover. You have an opportunity to make a memorable impression. Use this essay to introduce yourself. Include any information that you believe is important for the committee member to know about you both professionally and personally. (Maximum 300-350 words, 12-point font, double-spaced)
Optional Essay
  • Use this essay to convey important information that you may not have been otherwise able to convey. This may include unexplained resume gaps, context for recommender selection, etc.
  • If you are a re-applicant, explain how your candidacy has strengthened since your last application.

For more information about applying to CMU Tepper, please visit the Tepper MBA admissions website.
You may also be interested in:
Tepper School of Business Fall 2017 MBA Application Deadlines

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2016, 17:49
Carnegie Mellon University’s Tepper School of Business has posted the essay questions for the 2016-2017 application, which includes only one required essay.

Tepper offers several options for completing your MBA, from Full-Time MBA to Part-Time On-Campus MBA to Part-Time Online Hybrid MBA. The Tepper community is diverse with various goals, and Tepper is not looking for one particular profile, but rather candidates who are willing to engage with a tight-knit community and are interested in a highly analytical course structure.

Questions about your Tepper MBA application? Contact us to learn more about how Stacy Blackman Consulting can help.

REQUIRED ESSAY
Imagine that you meet up with a member of the admission committee at an airport while on a layover. You have an opportunity to make a memorable impression. Use this essay to introduce yourself. Include any information that you believe is important for the committee member to know about you both professionally and personally. (Maximum 300-350 words, 12-point font, double-spaced)

This is the only required essay for CMU Tepper’s MBA application, and it will be important to explain anything about your personal and professional background that can enhance the data Tepper’s admissions committee has already received from your resume, academic scores and recommendations.

Think about describing the key moments that have been formative in your path thus far, and that are relevant to your pursuit of an MBA now.

As you consider what to describe about your professional background you should focus on accomplishments and filter your experiences with your future goals. For example, if you are seeking an MBA to make a career switch in either function or industry, focus on career stories that show a transferable element to the way you work.

You may want to highlight your analytical skills or how much you enjoy tackling tough issues at work. If you are looking for an MBA to enhance your current career path then you may want to highlight the moments you are most proud of in your career history.

On the personal side, CMU Tepper has a small and close-knit community, and your personality and background will be of interest to the admissions committee. What would your future classmates and professors want to know about you? How might you contribute to Tepper both while in school and after graduation? To add a solid example, think about the formative experiences in your life that might illustrate how you think and behave in a community.

OPTIONAL ESSAY
• Use this essay to convey important information that you may not have been otherwise able to convey. This may include unexplained resume gaps, context for recommender selection, etc.

• If you are a re-applicant, explain how your candidacy has strengthened since your last application.

CMU Tepper’s optional essay provides room to explain any important context to potential issues in your application. As outlined, resume gaps, a recommendation that is from someone other than a current or former supervisor, etc.

Other possible explanations may include academic issues like low grades in quantitative classes or academic probation. A low GMAT score or other profile issue may be worth addressing if applicable.

Re-applicants should always use this space to showcase a strengthened candidacy. If you have improved your profile with a stronger GMAT score or new grades from quantitative classes, that is great information to highlight. If you have increased your responsibilities at work, refined career goals or added new extracurricular activities those are also valid updates to communicate.

CMU Tepper is not asking for you to explain anything you want in this essay, and it will be wisest to stick with the two categories of information specifically outlined. The required essay is open-ended enough to provide the space to offer all other information needed for an admissions decision.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 234 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
CMU Tepper 2016-17 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

You know how you’re always reading that “all MBA programs are different” but after you’ve spent weeks and even months reading all of their websites, they can start to seem like they are pretty much the same? Well, not Carnegie Mellon Tepper. Tepper continues to march to the beat of its own drummer. CMU is committed to the rhythm produced by a combination of analytical skills and leadership education. Unlike many other MBA programs that now allow students to enroll in electives from their first semester on campus, Tepper stands firm in its belief that students are better served by having a common and fixed foundation in the fundamentals for the entire first half of that first year.

Tepper’s class composition is also significantly different from many of its peer programs. Tepper has just 200 students in its class, while Wharton has 860 and HBS has 942. Moreover, while only 25% of Wharton’s class and 38% of HBS’s comprises former STEM undergraduates, a whopping 48% of Tepper students majored in STEM subjects in college. And the flip side of that: while 42% of Wharton’s MBA class and 21% of HBS’s class studied humanities subjects in their undergraduate degrees, only 9% of Tepper’s class did. Does that mean that Tepper isn’t interested in people from humanities backgrounds? No! It means that any applicant from a humanities background had better demonstrate their facility with complex analyses to prove capable of handling the challenging Tepper curriculum.

Tepper has only one required essay and one optional essay in its application:

Essay:

Imagine that you meet up with a member of the admission committee at an airport while on a layover. You have an opportunity to make a memorable impression. Use this essay to introduce yourself. Include any information that you believe is important for the committee member to know about you both professionally and personally. (Maximum 300-350 words, 12-point font, double-spaced)

350 words is a very short essay, approximately 3 paragraphs in length. Since the Tepper online application form contains a small section to discuss your career goals – the industry and function you are targeting and 150 words each about your target role and your plan B if that goal proves elusive – you do not need to address goals in this essay. Instead, strong answers to this essay prompt would include examples of situations in which you demonstrated the ambition and talent that Tepper is seeking in its MBA candidates. In addition, since Tepper’s class is so small, applicants who demonstrate their fit with a small, tight-knit community will pique their interest.

Optional Essay:

With only one required essay of 350 words, I highly recommend using this space to share more about your background. You can use this essay to demonstrate your potential or experience in a particular field or even to share an example of your analytical and leadership skills.

If you would like professional guidance with your CMU Tepper MBA application, check out Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Tepper application.

***Disclaimer: Information is subject to change. Please check with individual programs to verify the essay questions, instructions and deadlines.***

CMU Tepper MBA 2016-17 Application Deadlines:

Jennifer Bloom has been a consultant with Accepted for 17 years and a Certified Professional Resume Writer since 2005. She is an expert at crafting application materials that truly differentiate you from the rest of the driven applicant pool. If you would like help with your applications, Jennifer can suggest a number of options that work with any budget.

Related Resources:

Best MBA Programs, A Guide to Selecting the Right One
2016-17 MBA Application Essay Tips
• Ten Do’s and Don’ts for Your Application Essay

This article originally appeared on blog.accepted.com

Applying to a top b­-school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where to apply, writing your application essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away.

Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Kudos [?]: 234 [1] , given: 0

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 13:11
Hey everybody! We’re back with another installment of “Ask the AdCom,” where we share a wide range of tips and advice from admissions team members from a dozen top business schools. Since AdCom members are human, too, we know our readers will enjoy seeing  a different side of what makes these guys tick.

This fun space is not really about the application process but more about real-life topics, like what’s a good book to readbest place to study, where you can find a killer meal near campus, and all the fun stuff happening at b-school that creates those lifelong, cherished memories for MBA students.

We hope you become inspired, too!
Today’s question is: Tell us about a popular annual activity on campus.
Virginie Fougea, Associate Director of Admissions at INSEAD, says: National Weeks. With more than 70 nationalities represented on our campuses, everyone is a minority at INSEAD. National weeks are events that set the INSEAD MBA experience apart from other business schools; it is the celebration of diversity.

Ten times a year, students from various countries showcase their cultural traditions to the class during a week-long celebration (food, traditional costumes, music, etc.). National Weeks happen simultaneously in Fontainebleau and Singapore.

Judi Byers, Executive Director of Admissions and Financial Aid at Cornell’s Johnson Graduate School of Management, asked her students to share their favorites:
  • Peter Su, MBA ’17: Spring Formal
  • Sydney Chernish, MBA ’16: Some of our most entertaining events include Diwali, a variety show put on by the South Asian Business Club. Another is the annual Charity Auction, which raises thousands of dollars for local charities and brings out donations and bids from faculty, staff, students, and partners.
  • Najeen Riazi, MBA ’17: SO MANY.  Carnivale. Holi. Slope Day and Battle of the Brands.G
  • Daniel Greenhaw, MBA ’16: Slope Day
Rodrigo Malta, Director of Admissions at UT McCombs School of Business, says: Texas MBA International NightEach year the International MBA Student Association (IMBASA) and the Texas MBA+ Leadership Program host the largest MBA event of the year, International Night.

With almost 1,000 attendees, this event gives MBAs from all over the world an opportunity to open the doors to their culture for their classmates with a night of food, dancing, traditional games and entertainment. The evening is a multicultural celebration featuring an exciting blend of representatives from more than 20 countries. The popular event gives MBAs an opportunity to take a break from their academic rigors and discover the diversity of McCombs.

Also, Texas MBA @ SXSW: Every year, McCombs hosts a booth at SXSW Interactive and our annual McCombs E-Ship Night at this great event.  This is just another way for our alumni, current students and the Austin/tech community to connect and learn more about start ups from McCombs alumni.

Shari Hubert, Associate Dean of MBA Admissions at Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business, says:
  • International Student Festival – Our MBA students host an event that celebrates the many cultures found within our student body with a day of culture, dance, and food.
  • McDonough Cup – MBA cohorts compete against one another in a weeklong series of competitions, ranging from a scavenger hunt to a cookoff to sports. The winner earns their place on the coveted McDonough Cup trophy.
  • McDonough Sippy Cup – Launched last year, this event celebrates the many families with small children within our MBA program.

Morgan Bernstein, Executive Director of Full-Time MBA Admissions at UC Berkeley-Haas School of Business, says: Some of the most popular events among our students include the annual Haas Gala in San Francisco, the Haas Talent Show which showcases the musical talent of our Dean (as well as the hidden talents of our students!); and the Dean’s Scotch Tasting fundraiser, which calls on our favorite faculty and staff to guest bartend for the evening for a good cause. From an admissions perspective, we always look forward to Days at Haas, when we get to meet our newly-admitted students and their partners.

John Roeder, Assistant Dean Graduate Admissions at SMU Cox School of Business, says: Each spring, the Cox Business Leadership Center’s Nonprofit Consulting Program pairs 35 MBA students with one of four local nonprofit organizations. Student teams work over a six-week period researching and benchmarking, gathering and analyzing data, and ultimately generating plans to solve core business challenges. At the conclusion of the program, students present these plans to staff and board members at each of the organizations.

Kelly R. Wilson, Executive Director of Admissions at CMU Tepper School of Business, says: Student-lead Global Treks often provide social networking opportunities with students, local executives, alumni and faculty. Recent Global Trek regions include: China, Dubai, Japan, India, Israel, Peru, South Africa and Morocco.

Melissa Fogerty, Director of Admissions  at Yale School of Management, says:  At Yale SOM, we host an annual celebration of our community’s cultural diversity called International Week. During this week, students enjoy global food at International Food Fest, and participate in #OneSOM activities like Global Trivia, What Not to Do in a Business Setting, and Travel Etiquette.

Isser Gallogly, Assistant Dean of MBA Admissions at NYU Stern School of Business, says: Each spring, Stern’s student government hosts “International Passport Day” — students share their country’s unique heritage through cuisine, costumes and performances in a festival on Gould Plaza.
Look out for the #AskAdCom in our social media channels, and we’ll see you again next week when we check in to Ask the AdCom who are the “must meet” professors.
Image credit: Flickr user Elitatt, CC by 2.0

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Director
Director

Round Four Application Deadline [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 00:38
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Round Four Application Deadline
I hope this post will get the attention of those of you who have been diligently working over the past months to be ready to submit your application for the final round of admissions at the Tepper School.

Planning to submit your application by April 23? If so, we will make sure you will receive an email on May 24 with the Admission Committee’s admission decision.

While we may offer rolling admission through early summer, Round Four is our last, guaranteed application round, so you won’t want to wait!

A tip to get you started: Begin by reading the application instructions.

Of special note is our move to one essay this year. What makes it interesting is that it is a fairly open-ended essay and we can’t wait to see what you tell us about yourselves!

Also, Carnegie Mellon was one of a number of schools that worked directly with the Graduate Management Admissions Council over the last year and a half to develop a Common Letter of Recommendation. We join a number of other top MBA programs in adopting the common questions in an effort to help lessen the burden for you and those you seek to write your recommendation for B-School.

Shortly after the application deadline, we will begin the first of several waves of interview invitations. Don’t sweat it if you aren’t among those who receive an early invitation. We need to start somewhere with the process, and literally conduct interviews up through a few days prior to the decision notification date. Keep checking your email!

Good luck with your applications!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Director
Director

Round Four Admissions Decisions Are Out! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 00:38
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Round Four Admissions Decisions Are Out!
This is a quick post to let you know that our round four admissions decisions have been released. If you are a round four applicant or a waitlisted candidate from an earlier round, you’ll find an email from us telling you to log into your account to view your decision letter.

Congratulations to all who have been admitted to the Tepper School’s MBA program!

There is a lot of good information in your admission letter and on the Countdown site (our admitted MBA student portal) that you won’t want to miss.

We are excited to welcome you to the Tepper School!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Director
Director

Fall 2018 Application to Go Live Mid-August [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 13:01
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Fall 2018 Application to Go Live Mid-August
We know you’ve been waiting to learn when our Fall 2018 application is live. We’re almost there!

The Admissions team will be working hard over the next few weeks to make sure the application is in tip-top shape for the Fall 2018 cycle. We want it to be easy to navigate, informative and even a little bit fun for you to complete – all in hopes of learning as much as we can about you and your background.

Be on the lookout for our application to go live in mid-August and spend the next few weeks getting excited to take this next step!

Fall 2018 Application to Go Live Mid-August   [#permalink] 30 Jun 2017, 13:01