GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 05:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

CMU Tepper MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
VP
VP
Round One Decisions: It’s a Wrap!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2018, 14:01
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Round One Decisions: It’s a Wrap!

It’s finally Dec. 12! And that means that our round one decisions have been released! I think I can hear a collective deep breath being taken across our office and I imagine you have taken one as well.

If you were offered admission to the Tepper School, we want to celebrate with you! Tag @TepperCMU on Instagram in your celebration selfies to be shared.

I am excited to think about those of you who will choose to become some of the first students in our incoming class! I also want to personally have the chance to welcome you (our newly admitted students!) to our Welcome Weekend, April 5-6, 2019. Be sure to stay tuned for more information about that weekend if you were just admitted.

So, what is next? No matter the outcome of your admission decision, know that we seriously consider every application and appreciate your hard work and thoughtfulness in submitting your application. For those of you who are currently on our waitlist, I’ll have some words for you in early January about some steps you might take to stay engaged with the Admissions team. If you were offered admission, stay tuned to the Countdown website. There you’ll find a lot of exciting and important information that we will post in the coming months.

For those of you reading who will be submitting your application in round two – now is your time! I’ll be sharing a post next week with some tips for your final application touches. I imagine you are putting the finishing touches on your application and getting ready to submit.

Please know that the university will be closed from Dec. 1 through Jan. 1. We will be back in the office on Wednesday, Jan. 2. If you have any last-minute questions about submitting your application, be sure to send them by Dec. 21 (or sooner). Be kind to Judy who answers our main Admissions number.

Back to the MBA Admissions Blog
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
VP
VP
The Round Two Application Deadline Is Almost Here  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2018, 08:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: The Round Two Application Deadline Is Almost Here

Winter greetings from Pittsburgh! While we are taking a breath after releasing the round one admission decisions, and before we head home for some rest over the holidays, I wanted to take a moment to let you know that our round two application deadline is quickly approaching!

I’ve written this before, but I think it’s worth providing again. If you are planning to submit your application by Jan. 5 for the round two deadline (I can’t believe it’s almost January!), make sure you’ve done a few things:

• Read the application instructions. This is a comprehensive list of everything we need from you in order to ensure your application is complete and the Admissions committee can begin their review. Note, for this year: We have diploma and grading scale guides if you need a little extra help figuring out what we want.
  • Make sure your recommender knows the application deadline. Too often, I see applications that can’t be forwarded for review because the recommender hasn’t yet submitted. Especially given that many recommenders may be taking vacation over the holidays, be sure to give plenty of advanced notice and urge your recommender to circle Jan. 5 on her/his calendar in red pen!
  • Proofread, proofread, proofread. You’ve got your transcripts ready to upload, your GMAT score have been sent to us, and your recommender is ready to submit – now, make sure you’ve proofread your essay (we only require one!) and your career goals. You want to put your best, most-proofread foot forward!
As in the previous round, shortly after the application deadline, we will begin the first of several waves of interview invitations. Don’t worry if you aren’t among those who receive an invitation in the early wave. We send interview invitations all the way until a few days prior to the decision notification date. Try to be patient and keep checking your email (even the junk mail folder). Also, our campus visit calendar is available and we’d love to see you visit campus this winter.

Good luck with your application!

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
VP
VP
My New Year's Resolution  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2019, 09:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: My New Year's Resolution

First, I want to wish all of you and your families my warmest holiday wishes. Life between Thanksgiving and the new year is usually a blur for me – and this year was no different.

As we cross into the new year, I find myself reflecting on 2018 and looking forward to all that 2019 will bring. I am often asked if I’ve made any new year’s resolutions. This year, I thought I’d share some:

• Continue to be amazed at the candidates who visit our office. I mean it! One of the best parts of my job is when I talk with you about your plans for the future and how the Tepper School fits into those plans. It makes me excited for Welcome Weekend, when we get the first glimpse of the class coming together. It may be only a couple days into January, but I look forward to this important event every spring.
  • Explore more of the Tepper Quad. With such a dynamic (and big!) space, I feel like I’m still learning about all that the Quad offers. What I can assure you is we have some of the best coffee and treats on campus – and it’s right outside our office door!
  • Enjoy our team. We have some really great new staff and some pretty good seasoned staff, too. I look forward to continuing to watch this team work together and enjoy the work they are passionate about – working with you! As we enter the new year, I am reminded of the importance of having a strong, dedicated Admissions team and am thankful for each of them.
While many folks make resolutions and aren’t able (or forget!) to keep, I’m excited to be able to fulfill mine. Cheers to 2019!

VP
VP
2019 Leadership Conference Hosted by Tepper Women in Business: Will We  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2019, 11:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: 2019 Leadership Conference Hosted by Tepper Women in Business: Will We See You There?

An exciting event for our community is quickly approaching! On Sunday, Feb. 17, it is time for the 2019 Leadership Conference hosted by Tepper Women in Business (TWIB).  While this isn’t an Admissions-specific event, I’d highly encourage you to attend. I received a note from TWIB leaders that provides a lot of great context.

The event provides the opportunity for current MBA students, prospective MBA students, early career professional women, and male allies to engage in professional and leadership development and participate in a forum to discuss the unique opportunities and challenges women face in their careers. This year’s conference will focus on negotiation and advocacy.

What else can you expect from this conference? Our MBA students, alumni, and conference sponsors will share their professional journeys and the impact of business school on their leadership development. Additionally, our Accelerate Leadership Center will present and discuss ways to grow as a leader in the workplace. Our faculty keynotes will highlight research on challenges women face at work and how women can serve as advocates for themselves and others. If any of this sounds like an opportunity you’d like to explore, then I recommend that you register to attend.

What else do you need to know? First, there is no cost to attend. Second, breakfast and lunch (and lots of coffee!) will be provided. Last, the dress code is smart casual. The conference, hosted in the brand new Tepper Quad, takes place Sunday, Feb. 17, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

I hope that you will join us for this excellent professional development and networking opportunity.

VP
VP
The Round Three Application Deadline Is Coming  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2019, 08:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: The Round Three Application Deadline Is Coming

Hello from somewhat warm (or at least, not very cold!) and sunny Pittsburgh! While we are hard at work finishing the review of all of our round two applications, I wanted to take a moment to share that our round three application deadline is quickly approaching!

If you hadn’t heard, Punxsutawney Phil (Google him if you don’t know him!) told us a few weeks ago that we only had six more weeks of winter. As we look forward to consistently warmer weather, I want to share that we only have one more week until the round three application deadline! At this point in the year, we’ve got some really excited round one deposited students, some eager round two candidates hoping for admission, and now you – those still considering applying for Fall 2019 admission in round three.

As I’ve written this before (and it can’t be overstated), if you are planning to submit your application by March 7 for the round three deadline, make sure you’ve done a few things:

• Read the application instructions. This is a comprehensive list of everything we need from you in order to ensure your application is complete and the Admissions Committee can begin their review – to note for this year, we have diploma and grading scale guides if you need a little extra help figuring out what we want.
  • Make sure your recommender knows the application deadline. Too often, I see applications that can’t be forwarded for review because the recommender hasn’t yet submitted. Let your recommender know to circle March 7 on her/his calendar in red pen.
  • Proofread, proofread, proofread. You’ve got your transcripts ready to upload, your GMAT score have been sent to us, and your recommender is ready to submit – now, make sure you’ve proofread your essay (we only require one) and your career goals. You want to put your best, most proofread foot forward.
As in all previous rounds, shortly after the application deadline, we will begin the first of several waves of interview invitations. Don’t sweat it if you aren’t among those who receive an early invitation. We send interview invitations all the way until a few days prior to the decision notification date. (We just sent out some round two interview invitations today.) Try to be patient and keep checking your email (even the junk mail folder).

VP
VP
Round Two Decisions Are Released  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 07:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Round Two Decisions Are Released

It’s warm here in Pittsburgh on March 14. Last week it was snowing and cold. That’s the truest indicator that it’s March!

The next biggest indicator is that round two decisions have been released! If you are a recently admitted round two candidate (or one of our round one deposited folks!), I look forward to seeing you (and your partner) at Welcome Weekend, taking place April 5-6. We’ll send an email shortly to provide the registration link.

I want to thank each of you who submitted an application in round two. Your thoughtful responses and all of your dedication and effort in making your application as competitive as possible did not go unnoticed. Our team spent the last three months immersed in application review and they are just as excited as I am to welcome everyone to campus.

I hope everyone (including us) can now take a moment to catch their breath and begin to look forward to the next several months. For us, we’ve got round three and four, as well as Welcome Weekend (our favorite weekend) – for you, it’s preparing for the next two or three years of your life as a Tepper student.

Welcome!

VP
VP
Welcome Weekend for Admitted Candidates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2019, 07:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Welcome Weekend for Admitted Candidates

There is so much happening in the Tepper Masters Admissions office these days. Just yesterday, we released round two decisions; last week we began our round three application reviews, interviews, invitations; and soon we will host one of my favorite events – Welcome Weekend!

I always use this event as a bit of a marker of time. This event usually means that we’ve made it through much of our busy season and it will soon be time to welcome new students to the Tepper Quad! For those of you who have been admitted in round one and two, I want to share a bit more about Welcome Weekend for full-time MBA candidates.

Taking place Friday, April 5 and Saturday, April 6, Welcome Weekend is an admitted student weekend devoted entirely to our incoming full-time students. Whether rain or shine (fingers crossed for sunshine!), Friday provides an opportunity to connect with your future classmates, learn about student clubs and life in Pittsburgh (Let’s Go Pens!), and hear more about becoming part of our Tepper community.

Dinner Friday night is in conjunction with a favorite Tepper tradition —  B**rs — where we’ll gather to enjoy some good food and drinks and some even better company! Saturday brings a day filled with information specific to our MBA program and curriculum. We’ll have sessions that highlight how we prepare you to lead at the intersection of business technology, and analytics, and you’ll hear more directly from our deans and faculty. We end the weekend, and pull out all the stops, with a cocktail reception and dinner at Heinz Field.

If you’ve been admitted to in round one or two, we’d love to see you in Pittsburgh. Partners are welcome, so save the date and plan to spend your weekend getting more excited about your life at the Tepper School! I hope to see you there.

P.S.: if you are a part-time admitted candidate, know that we’ve got an equally exciting and special admitted student weekend for you, coming up in May. Stay tuned for details!

VP
VP
Tuesday Tips: Mapping the Road Ahead  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 08:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tuesday Tips: Mapping the Road Ahead

Happy Tuesday, everyone! As we head into the spring and summer, I’m sure those of you who will be joining us this fall have started to prep your to-do list. Our Admissions team is a resource for you. So, how can you best prepare for the road ahead?

• Review your online Admission letter for any specific pre-matriculation requirements you need to meet. Everyone needs to complete the ReVera verification registration by your deposit deadline (you’ll be hearing from us if you still need to do this), sign up for any required preparatory courses, and complete any outstanding items – all listed in your admission letter! You’ll also see the best contact person for each requirement, should you have any questions.
  • Check out the MBA Countdown website and revisit regularly for updates. This is our official vehicle for communication for you. We’ll send some emails along the way, but you’ll want to keep an eye on the Countdown site. Among other information, this is where you’ll find our address for sending your official transcripts (those are due to us by July 1), the Financial Aid Policy, the Academic Calendar, and the Student Handbook. This is also where we will eventually post the BaseCamp schedule, important notes from our Computing office, and any other important information you will need. Bookmark this page!
  • Incoming international students: Be sure to download and complete your financial forms and have them sent to us. We facilitate these forms but you will hear directly from our Office of International Education (OIE) once your I-20 Form has been issued. This can take up to six weeks, so you’ll want to get your financial forms to us as soon as possible. (You can find them on the Countdown site.)
  • Attend an admitted student webinar (or several). Every few weeks, a member of our staff hosts a webinar that will focus on Financial Aid, Student Services, Career Opportunities, or the Accelerate Leadership Center. These hour-long virtual presentations will be facilitated by us but will feature our colleagues in each of the mentioned offices. Their staff will walk you through the steps you need to take to be ready to start BaseCamp in August. Missed a webinar or weren’t able to attend? We’ve got you covered. All of these webinars are recorded and placed on the Countdown site for your benefit. See how important it will be to bookmark the Countdown site!
  • Become a Pittsburgher! Whether you are moving here, joining us for Access Weekends, or already working in the city, immerse yourself in the city and our culture! If you’re a runner, the Pittsburgh Marathon is in May and is a great chance to see the city. I also recommend checking out the baseball schedule, the arts and music performances (take in a show Downtown), and our awesome restaurants. You will be plenty busy during your time here, but I definitely recommend checking out all Pittsburgh has to offer.

VP
VP
We’re Approaching the Round Four Application Deadline  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 08:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: We’re Approaching the Round Four Application Deadline

I can hardly believe the title of this post! Life in Admissions moves quite quickly after round two. As we are looking forward to Spring in Pittsburgh, we are also looking forward to this fast approaching application deadline. If you’ve been thinking of submitting an MBA application for Fall 2019 and have not yet done so, you’ll want to submit an application in round four.

While round four is typically reserved for our part-time program applicants, if you are interested in our full-time program, schedule some time to chat with one of our Admission officers. (Give us a call at 412-268-5687.)

If you are planning to submit your application by April 18 by the round-four deadline, make sure you’ve done a few things:

• Register to take the GMAT (or have your official scores sent to the Tepper School). For folks who decide around this time of year that they’d still like to submit their application, the biggest logistical roadblock they face is our receipt of official test scores. Know that you must have taken your GMAT (or GRE) at the time of your application submission and that it can take up to 10 business days for us to receive your official score.
  • Read the application instructions! This is a comprehensive list of everything we need from you in order to ensure your application is complete and the Admissions Committee can begin their review.
  • Make sure your recommender knows the application deadline. Too often applications can’t be forwarded for review because the recommender hasn’t yet submitted. Urge your recommender to circle April 18 on her/his calendar in red pen.
  • Proofread, proofread, proofread! You’ve got your transcripts ready to upload, your GMAT score has been sent to us, and your recommender is ready to submit – now, make sure you’ve proofread your essay (we only require one) and your career goals. You want to put your best, most proofread foot forward.

VP
VP
Tuesday Tips: Download a Weather App  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 06:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tuesday Tips: Download a Weather App

I am writing today’s post after the country’s late winter weather moved through the Pittsburgh region. Luckily, we just had some cold and no snow. The next few days look very promising, so I’m hopeful that was the last of winter!

As I was thinking about this post and our great city, I wanted to pass along some tips as our deposited full-time students prepare to move here in just a few short months and our part-time students prepare to spend Admitted Student Weekend with us in a couple of weeks!

• Even though you will be moving here in the beautiful days of summer, you may want to plan ahead and bring a coat. Once we move into fall, you will notice that we experience all four seasons (sometimes in one week!) so a warm, water-resistant coat will be a worthy investment. The Admissions team suggests that you dress in layers— you might start your day with snow on the ground and arrive home in the evening to sunshine and blue skies. If you are coming from a tropical climate, don’t worry, there are lots of places to buy coats as we move into the fall.
  • Give some thought to how you’ll get around the city (from campus and shops to Thursday night socials). As a student at the Tepper School, your student ID is your pass to ride the city bus. It is super convenient and this app — Transit: Real-Time Transit App — allows you to track the arrival times at your nearest stop. Pittsburgh has a small, light rail system Downtown, but you can plan your commute by bus, bike, or good ol’ foot! You certainly can get around the city without a car, but you’ll want to know your options. If we can help, give us a call or post a question in the Facebook group!
  • Get to know the city. Pittsburghers are proud of our city. The renaissance we’ve seen over the last 20 years has been exciting. We love our sports teams (no matter what!), our culture, our history, and also where we’re headed. If you have the flexibility, plan your move to be early in the summer so that you have some free time to explore the city. Catch a game, explore some of the restaurants, take your pet to one of our awesome parks — really get to know what makes us proud!
I’ve lived much of my life in this great city and I’m excited to share all it has to offer with you. Now, get to planning your move!

VP
VP
Tuesday Tips: Five Things to Do at MBA Fairs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2019, 08:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tuesday Tips: Five Things to Do at MBA Fairs

MBA fairs are an early opportunity for you to get in front of admissions officers from schools across the globe, many whom travel to your city in the hopes of meeting well-prepared MBA prospects.

Don’t quite know how to get the most out of an MBA fair? Here is a list of five things to do:

1. Be generous with the programs you will consider early on in the process.
Remember, there are a number of programs that may be a good fit for you. Be careful not to limit yourself early in the process.

Take time to think about what you are looking for in an MBA program. Are you looking for a full-time or part-time program? Would having the best of both worlds — an online hybrid program — fit the bill? Is there a world region that best suits your needs?

2. Prepare for the event.
Review the website of your priority list of schools. Have a basic understanding of how the unique selling proposition for a school fits with your wish list.

For instance, when reading the Tepper School’s website, you will come away knowing that we focus on leadership and analytics, have a small community that is a little different than others, and that we offer a full-time, part-time, and online hybrid option for delivering our MBA program.

3. Dress the part.
Experts say that first impressions are formed within seconds of meeting someone. To be sure that you are making a good first impression with admissions officers, dress appropriately for the event. There is no dress code, per se. However, you don’t want to be remembered for wearing inappropriate attire. That doesn’t mean you need to wear a suit; most often, a pair of slacks or skirt for women and a collared shirt for men will be just fine.

4. Take advantage of the opportunity to talk with alumni at recruiting events.
Alumni have unique perspectives. Not only have they gone through the MBA program, they have moved on to the next stage of their career and have a real appreciation for the impact their program has had on their professional journey.

They will have insights into not only their experience but the experience of their classmates and they are happy to share the information with you. Don’t be surprised if an alum hands you their business card and invites you to stay in touch with them. Remember, they are part of our recruiting team and are invested in each MBA class the follows them.

5. Engage in a conversation and let the admissions officer know why you are targeting their school.
A polished introduction that clearly states why you want to attend B-school, what skill gaps you are looking to fill, and how you believe their program will help you to be successful will get the conversation started.

From an admissions officer’s perspective, we take particular note of candidates who arrive prepared, are knowledgeable about our program, and are able to articulate why they are interested in the Tepper School. This approach signals that you are serious about your MBA search and we’ll remember you for this reason.

My colleagues and I look for you on the road this summer and throughout the fall!

VP
VP
Tuesday Tips: Network Your Way Through the Admissions Process  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2019, 08:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Tuesday Tips: Network Your Way Through the Admissions Process

Attending an MBA fair at the start of the MBA recruiting season is a good first step – just don’t stop there. We make networking easy by providing various ways you can connect with members of the Tepper School community. Here are some opportunities:

Reach Out to Student Ambassadors
Student Ambassadors remember what it is like being in our shoes and are eager to share their experiences with you. When you reach out, you will be how willing they are to share. Don’t be surprised if they suggest setting up a call to talk and offer to introduce you to their classmates.

Campus Visits
Register for a campus visit and indicate if you’d to be connected with any of the following student organizations:

• Black Business Association
  • Latin American Business Association
  • Women in Business
  • Military Veterans Association
  • Out and Allied
  • Graduate Business Association (student government)
You will be connected with a leader within the student organization and can schedule a time to meet with them or one of the organization’s members. If there are social activities happening during your time in Pittsburgh, they will be certain to let you know.

A campus visit provides you with a personal connection to students. You will interact with 5-10 MBA students just through the activities during the visit. Take advantage of being in the Tepper Quad and schedule coffee with someone who has similar career interests or has something in common with you.

Tepper Talks
During Tepper Talks, the Admissions team hosts an event that includes hearing from the Masters Career Center (MCC) and an alumni panel. Get a sense of how you should be thinking of your career from the MCC and then hear how the Tepper MBA prepared our alumni to make an impact at their company.

Diversity and Community Events
Two other opportunities that are “not-to-miss” are Diversity Weekend and our Discover the Difference at Tepper webinar series. You will hear directly from students about their Tepper experience.

The webinar series features students from the following populations:

• LGBTQ Community
  • Underrepresented U.S. Minorities
  • Women
  • Military and Veterans
  • Partners & Families
  • Those with non-traditional backgrounds
Additionally, you can hear from European, Latin American, East Asian, and South Asian students about why they chose Tepper and what being a part of this community means to them.The more you network within the community, the more you will appreciate the excitement among the students about helping admissions recruit the next incoming class. They make networking easy for you!

Getting to know Tepper MBAs through the coming months will not only help you see yourself as a contributing member of the Tepper School, but it will give you context and information to draw on as you prepare your application. Networking is a skill that you can put to good use through this process and we hope we’ve provided some easy ways for you to begin.

VP
VP
Network Your Way Through the Admissions Process  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2019, 09:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Network Your Way Through the Admissions Process

Attending an MBA fair at the start of the MBA recruiting season is a good first step – just don’t stop there. We make networking easy by providing various ways you can connect with members of the Tepper School community. Here are some opportunities:

Reach Out to Student Ambassadors
Student Ambassadors remember what it is like being in our shoes and are eager to share their experiences with you. When you reach out, you will be how willing they are to share. Don’t be surprised if they suggest setting up a call to talk and offer to introduce you to their classmates.

Campus Visits
Register for a campus visit and indicate if you’d to be connected with any of the following student organizations:

• Black Business Association
  • Latin American Business Association
  • Women in Business
  • Military Veterans Association
  • Out and Allied
  • Graduate Business Association (student government)
You will be connected with a leader within the student organization and can schedule a time to meet with them or one of the organization’s members. If there are social activities happening during your time in Pittsburgh, they will be certain to let you know.

A campus visit provides you with a personal connection to students. You will interact with 5-10 MBA students just through the activities during the visit. Take advantage of being in the Tepper Quad and schedule coffee with someone who has similar career interests or has something in common with you.

Tepper Talks
During Tepper Talks, the Admissions team hosts an event that includes hearing from the Masters Career Center (MCC) and an alumni panel. Get a sense of how you should be thinking of your career from the MCC and then hear how the Tepper MBA prepared our alumni to make an impact at their company.

Diversity and Community Events
Two other opportunities that are “not-to-miss” are Diversity Weekend and our Discover the Difference at Tepper webinar series. You will hear directly from students about their Tepper experience.

The webinar series features students from the following populations:

• LGBTQ Community
  • Underrepresented U.S. Minorities
  • Women
  • Military and Veterans
  • Partners & Families
  • Those with non-traditional backgrounds
Additionally, you can hear from European, Latin American, East Asian, and South Asian students about why they chose Tepper and what being a part of this community means to them.The more you network within the community, the more you will appreciate the excitement among the students about helping admissions recruit the next incoming class. They make networking easy for you!

Getting to know Tepper MBAs through the coming months will not only help you see yourself as a contributing member of the Tepper School, but it will give you context and information to draw on as you prepare your application. Networking is a skill that you can put to good use through this process and we hope we’ve provided some easy ways for you to begin.

VP
VP
Explore the Tepper MBA Journey, From Admission to Graduation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 08:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: Explore the Tepper MBA Journey, From Admission to Graduation

The best way to find out what it's like to be a Tepper MBA is to hear the stories of those who lived it.

We asked our students to think about their experience at Tepper and share what made an impact on them along the way. Through our Tepper MBA Journey digital experience, students provide you with insight into their time at Tepper, from the moment they learned of their admission and attended Welcome Weekend, to the strength of our community, which comes to life at BaseCamp orientation.

For instance, you'll hear students share about their internship experience and how they leveraged resources to achieve their goals. “Down-to-earth” is a term that is often used to describe our MBA students, and you’ll see why as you gain insight into how they engaged with one another outside of the classroom to support each other. You'll follow their journey all the way to graduation — the culmination of their academic and professional achievements — as they look ahead to the next exciting career opportunity.

Check out the Tepper MBA Journey and see for yourself what it's like to be a Tepper MBA!

VP
VP
End of Summer Brings New MBAs to Tepper!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2019, 08:02
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: End of Summer Brings New MBAs to Tepper!

As someone who loves the warm weather, it might seem odd to look forward to August — the end of the summer. But I do because this is when we welcome our incoming MBAs to campus. There is nothing more satisfying that standing in front of the group and welcoming them to Pittsburgh, to Tepper, to our community.

A review of the accomplishments of the incoming class never disappoints. These are individuals who are willing to take risks, enjoy life, are high-achievers, and are prepared for their next challenge. It reveals the essence of the individuals who come together to make up the spirit of their MBA class at Tepper.

We welcomed 273 MBAs to campus in August in our Full-Time, Part-Time Online Hybrid, and Part-Time Flex MBA programs. Take a few minutes to view the class profiles. They are a good resource as you gather information about the MBA programs at Tepper.

VP
VP
An MBA Book Club? Only at Tepper  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2019, 07:37
FROM CMU Tepper MBA Admission Blog: An MBA Book Club? Only at Tepper

From time-to-time, we like to feature guest posts from others in the Tepper community. Today’s guest post is from Matthew Stewart, operations manager for Tepper's Accelerate Leadership Center and SHIFT program manager. 

Enjoy!Kelly

Last year the Accelerate Leadership Center at the Tepper School launched SHIFT programming to complement our standard leadership programming.

SHIFT offers additional pathways to leadership development through exposure to the Arts. Good art asks questions. And it’s through inquiry that we learn more about ourselves and those around us. The primary goals of SHIFT are to enhance students’ empathy, critical thinking, and self-awareness.

Sharpen Skills and Foster Community Through Reading
One program under the SHIFT umbrella is Tepper Reads, a community reading project where we get as many MBAs as we can to read the same novel together as a means of sharpening the skills mentioned above, and also to foster community in the student body. Tepper Reads starts with a kick-off party, there are online touchpoints and in-person meet-ups along the way, and the whole project culminates with a visit from the author.

Last year we read Zinzi Clemmons’ novel What We Lose. What We Lose is the story of a young woman named Thandi as she processes the loss of her mother to cancer. The book blends history and autofiction, and travels across the United States and to South Africa, and backward and forward in time. It’s a book that’s slight in size but rich in thematic content, and it really captivated the students who participated. Around 35% of Tepper MBAs are not from the U.S., and this book about a life lived between two cultures — Thandi’s mother was South African, and her father is African-American — really spoke to them.

Meet-Ups Create Space for Questions
For one of our meet-ups, we had an “African Diaspora Dinner” hosted by Leanne Meyer, the Executive Director of Accelerate, who also hails from South Africa. Some of our African students got a chance to talk about their lives prior to coming to the U.S., and how this related to the novel. We also had a local restaurant cater the event with South African food. It was a chance to eat, talk, learn about each other, and ask questions of one another that might have never been asked had we not been experiencing the same book together. The next day, another of our students wrote to me and thanked Accelerate for making the event happen saying that it was the most “human” part of his MBA experience so far.

Another meet-up was led by an Associate Professor of English here at Carnegie Mellon, Dr. Rich Purcell. Dr. Purcell is an expert on race in American fiction, and race relations in America are another major theme of What We Lose. Dr. Purcell held his version of a Reddit AMA, an ARA (Ask Rich Anything), in which he fielded questions from students from the many diverse backgrounds that make up the Tepper student body. It was a safe space, where there was truly no such thing as a stupid question, and participants walked away feeling as if we understood each other more than before.

Project Culminates in Author Visit
And of course Zinzi’s visit was great. Students had a chance to meet with her in a small, intimate setting to ask questions about how she wrote the book, her sociopolitical views, and more. She then participated in a panel discussion that was open to the public and was focused on literature, leadership, and empathy; Dr. Purcell and Leanne rounded out the panel, with me as moderator.

It was a truly unique experience—having denizens of the literary world and business world in the same place, talking and sharing ideas together, is something that almost never happens. This cross-cultural, cross-campus, interdisciplinary discussion is a hallmark of SHIFT programming, and really appeals to the whole student.

Though all of our students hold the title of “MBA student,” there’s so much more to each of us than any one label can hold, and SHIFT programming helps students discover the many facets of their peers, while developing the leadership skills crucial to their future success. SHIFT is a win-win for everyone involved.

Tepper Reads 2020
We just announced this year’s Tepper Reads book a few weeks ago, and well over 100 students have registered for this year’s iteration of the program. For Tepper Reads 2020 we’ll be reading Exit West by Mohsin Hamid, a Pakistani author and something of an international literary superstar.

Exit West is the story of Nadia and Saeed, two young people who meet in a business course in an unnamed country. When their home country erupts into civil war, they find an unconventional means of escape that takes them on a journey all over the globe. Immigration, love, relationships, family, religion, and the loss of one’s home are all themes covered in this slender, but magical, novel. Once again, I believe this book will be a springboard for discussion for our students, and will act as a means of learning more about each other, and bringing us closer together.

Matthew Stewart is a SHIFT program manager in Tepper’s Accelerate Leadership Center. He has worked in higher education for a decade, in positions as wide-ranging as faculty member, registrar, and administrator. He holds a bachelor of science in creative writing from SUNY Brockport and a master of fine art in creative writing from The New School, where he specialized in creative nonfiction.

GMAT Club Bot
An MBA Book Club? Only at Tepper   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2019, 07:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 56 posts ] 

CMU Tepper MBA Admissions and Related Blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: abhimahna, chanjaso