Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Re: explaining low salary in the optional essay [#permalink]
ManhattanReview wrote:

I would tend not to volunteer information about your salary to admissions -- sometimes volunteering information is really not necessary and showcases an aspect of your candidacy that might not have been an issue.

Its not wise to reveal your salary to B Schools unless you work in typical feeder profile like I-Banking/Consulting/High Tech. I believe its an optional information in most cases.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
Its not wise to reveal your salary to B Schools unless you work in typical feeder profile like I-Banking/Consulting/High Tech.

What is the logic behind that?

I meant low salary compared to peers in the industry.

AbhiJ wrote:
I believe its an optional information in most cases.

I'm not sure, but I think it is mandatory.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
adCON wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
Its not wise to reveal your salary to B Schools unless you work in typical feeder profile like I-Banking/Consulting/High Tech.

What is the logic behind that?

I meant low salary compared to peers in the industry.

AbhiJ wrote:
I believe its an optional information in most cases.

I'm not sure, but I think it is mandatory.

Adcoms are humans and donot know the exact circumstances of your work experience. For example if you were discriminated unfairly which has led to a lower salary, you would not want to disclose the salary because it will raise questions which you might want to avoid.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
ManhattanReview wrote:
I would tend not to volunteer information about your salary to admissions -- sometimes volunteering information is really not necessary and showcases an aspect of your candidacy that might not have been an issue.

Good luck

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Don't most schools ask for your salary information at some point during the application anyway? While I agree that volunteering information that may be harmful is a bad idea, it seems that they'll have this data at one point anyway.

The fact is, you can't change it, and you definitely shouldn't lie about it. It is what it is, and shouldn't be a reason for a ding.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
hamm0 wrote:
ManhattanReview wrote:

Good luck

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Don't most schools ask for your salary information at some point during the application anyway? While I agree that volunteering information that may be harmful is a bad idea, it seems that they'll have this data at one point anyway.

The fact is, you can't change it, and you definitely shouldn't lie about it. It is what it is, and shouldn't be a reason for a ding.

You are right. Everyone is pretty much expected to report the salary (and I don't think it's optional). And even if it is, it isn't.

@adCon: You right that if you have a lower salary than the industry average, it can look less than great. Whether or not you should bother to address this issue should depend on many things, one of them being HOW much lower it is than industry averages, and how good the reasons are. My reasoning is because for "issues" you explain int he optional essay you are still always bringing attention to something. So, if you are 5-10$ lower than the industry average, and the Adcom wouldn't notice so much anyhow, then maybe it's better if you don't explain. However if the difference is huge and you have a good reason (company underperforming or salary based on firm-wide profits, etc.) then it might be a good idea to explain it. But be careful of sounding like you are "making excuses."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'd probably opt for the tactic of emphasising that instead of merely looking to maximise your income you were instead focusing on broadening your skills set / gain valuable experience in your sector of choice. This might be viewed as a sign of strength and clear intent - in the early stages of a management career it's no bad thing to put personal and professional development ahead of filthy lucre (this can come later). Don't be apologetic, don't make excuses, don't dwell on it - and turn it into a strength.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hamm0 wrote:

Yes, they will have it anyway. I'm not trying to hide or lie about it. My question was should I explain it in the optional essay.

JonAdmissionado wrote:
@adCon: You right that if you have a lower salary than the industry average, it can look less than great. Whether or not you should bother to address this issue should depend on many things, one of them being HOW much lower it is than industry averages, and how good the reasons are. My reasoning is because for "issues" you explain int he optional essay you are still always bringing attention to something. So, if you are 5-10$ lower than the industry average, and the Adcom wouldn't notice so much anyhow, then maybe it's better if you don't explain. However if the difference is huge and you have a good reason (company underperforming or salary based on firm-wide profits, etc.) then it might be a good idea to explain it. But be careful of sounding like you are "making excuses."

There is absolutely no way of finding 'objectively' that how low one's salary is compared to rest of the pool :)
Though I agree, I should not bring unwarranted attention to a negative/neutral point by writing an optional essay.

Flashman wrote:
I'd probably opt for the tactic of emphasising that instead of merely looking to maximise your income you were instead focusing on broadening your skills set / gain valuable experience in your sector of choice. This might be viewed as a sign of strength and clear intent - in the early stages of a management career it's no bad thing to put personal and professional development ahead of filthy lucre (this can come later). Don't be apologetic, don't make excuses, don't dwell on it - and turn it into a strength.

I can relate to this and is probably the best way to go about the situation. I'll have to push it into the main essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Looks like this issue is largely resolved, but I was in a similar position (maybe worse since I work for a large, well-known company, so it's easy to verify that my salary is in fact "below average").

I didn't dare draw any more attention to it than need be, and I'm very happy with how things turned out. As others have said, an optional essay on this topic has the potential to do more harm than help.

FWIW, I don't think salary is a deal-breaker, anyhow.
GMAT Club Bot