GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1242
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2008, 19:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (00:52) correct 40% (00:56) wrong based on 104 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.
Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?
(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 384
Re: SC-exports  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2008, 19:48
1
spriya wrote:
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.
Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?
(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.


IMO C)

A) does not gurantee Japan and Europe will only buy from US due to increase in paper product.
B) does not gurantee that adequate quality will mean rise in exports for US
C) clearly tells that cost is factor otherwise preference is US
D) does not effect
E) does not effect
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2008
Posts: 384
Re: SC-exports  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2008, 23:21
spriya wrote:
nmohindru wrote:
spriya wrote:
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.
Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?
(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.


IMO C)

A) does not gurantee Japan and Europe will only buy from US due to increase in paper product.
B) does not gurantee that adequate quality will mean rise in exports for US
C) clearly tells that cost is factor otherwise preference is US
D) does not effect
E) does not effect

even i marked C but its not the OA try again


In that case I will got with D). The only reason for increase in US is because of drop in dollar value
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 238
Re: SC-exports  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2008, 00:56
1
spriya wrote:
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.
Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?
(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.



B - the argument states that the exports will grow because Japan and Western Europe will buy more from US than from other places. So, this assumes that the quality of the US pulp is good enough to be used in the factories. (you won't buy junk even for less if you can't use it).

B should be it.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1242
Re: SC-exports  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2008, 10:16
sanjay_gmat wrote:
spriya wrote:
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.
Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?
(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.



B - the argument states that the exports will grow because Japan and Western Europe will buy more from US than from other places. So, this assumes that the quality of the US pulp is good enough to be used in the factories. (you won't buy junk even for less if you can't use it).

B should be it.


rightly said if we negate (B) then the argument falls apart hence this is the assumption

regarding D it weakens the argument and is not an assumption

OA is B
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2010
Posts: 3
Re: SC-exports  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2010, 15:03
spriya wrote:
sanjay_gmat wrote:
spriya wrote:
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.
Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?
(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.



B - the argument states that the exports will grow because Japan and Western Europe will buy more from US than from other places. So, this assumes that the quality of the US pulp is good enough to be used in the factories. (you won't buy junk even for less if you can't use it).

B should be it.


rightly said if we negate (B) then the argument falls apart hence this is the assumption

regarding D it weakens the argument and is not an assumption

OA is B


Ain't rightly said .. If you say negation then option C also weakens the argument when negated ...

It's obvious that the quality of the pulp was good enough and that's why japan and western europe were using it earlier , the point is whether they'll prefer buy more because of the falling value of dollar ..

And even if you argue about the basic criteria of quality to be satisfied before one thinks of buying the pulp .. then too option C states that Japan and europe would prefer to use pulp (for its quality (or any other god damn reason) but the pulp suites them )

Moreover, option C also states the cost factor , which is the very basis of the argument .

Answer is undoubtedly C .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2010
Posts: 359
Re: SC-exports  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2010, 17:50
1
absoluteapoorv wrote:

Ain't rightly said .. If you say negation then option C also weakens the argument when negated ...

Answer is undoubtedly C .


Let me add my 2 cents...

The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.

In the argument itself, it is saying that the wood pulp of America will be cheaper for Japan and Western Europe to buy. And C is also saying the same thing - Japan and Western Europe would like to buy the pulp if they are cheap to them.

Hope this helps
_________________

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 370
Location: United States
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Re: SC-exports  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2011, 08:40
The option c looks the best........imo C
_________________

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Apr 2011
Posts: 87
Re: SC-exports  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2011, 04:58
spriya wrote:
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.
Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?
(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.


I felt that B and C are close.

Conclusion: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year.

Premise: The falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.

So we know that exports are inversely related to cost, the assumption would be that although the pulp is cheaper it is still adequate for usage by Japan and W Europe. B wins.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 49
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4
Re: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2012, 21:49
1
what is the correct answer b or c

C seems like a better option
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 68
Re: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2012, 05:22
(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.- Factory out increase in japan does means japan will import from US only. It can have others sources too
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.- No information available on Quality
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.- if cost is not factor - Conclusion will fall apart if it is not correct
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.- No Information available on Demand
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year- United States not mentioned in the paragraph
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 152
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Re: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2013, 01:46
IMO C ... Can anyone explain why C is wrong??
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 51
Re: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2013, 02:20
roopika2990 wrote:
IMO C ... Can anyone explain why C is wrong??


B and C both strengthen the argument but the problem with C is that I think it strengthens it "too much". The conclusion could still stand even if C were false. At equal cost japanese guys might prefer the japanese wood pulp, but if the dollar decreases so much and the cost for the US wood pulp is so low compared to the Japanese one it could still increases the export of Us products because the gap in the price is very large. For example if we are talking about Iphone5 and Samsung Galaxy S3, Japanese might prefer at equal cost the Samsung Galaxy S3 BUT STILL if the dollar decreases and the price of the Iphone5 is now 10 times less than that of the Samsung Galaxy S3 one could expect the exports of the Iphone to increase sharply to Japon.

On the other side if US wood pulp is not adequate to Western Europe and Japanese factories then whatever the cost is they won't export any. B is an assumption absolutely necessary for the conclusion to hold whereas C is an assumption which strengthens the argument but is not absolutely necessary for the conclusion to hold.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 52
Re: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2015, 00:31
May I know what is the source of this question and other sub-600 level questions?
_________________

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

http://www.EnglishForEveryone.in

http://www.facebook.com/KnowYourEnglish

GMAT Prep : Critical Reasoning Decoded

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Posts: 2
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
Re: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2015, 12:46
spriya wrote:
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably during this year. The reason for the rise is that the falling value of the dollar will make it cheaper for paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe to buy American wood pulp than to get it from any other source.
Which of the following is an assumption made in drawing the conclusion above?
(A) Factory output of paper products in Japan and Western Europe will increase sharply during this year.
(B) The quality of the wood pulp produced in the United States would be adequate for the purposes of Japanese and Western European paper manufacturers.
(C) Paper manufacturers in Japan and Western Europe would prefer to use wood pulp produced in the United States if cost were not a factor.
(D) Demand for paper products made in Japan and Western Europe will not increase sharply during this year.
(E) Production of wood pulp by United States companies will not increase sharply during this year.



Whats the official answer ? The 1000 series says its B. But C also seems correct. Negating both weakens the argument.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Dec 2017
Posts: 21
Re: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2018, 12:03
roopika2990 wrote:
IMO C ... Can anyone explain why C is wrong??

So ... regarding choice C, is it really an issue if PAPER manufacturers don't want to but the wood pulp? Is this the only industry that uses WOOD PULP? There a lot of other industries actually rather than PAPER ... so IMA B. If you negate B, the quality will NOT be adequate then Japan and Western Europe will not but the wood pulp from USA. Hence, it is an assumption.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jul 2018
Posts: 3
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2018, 13:52
This is a tricky question whose correct answer may seem to have no logical connection with the premise. However, with Negation Technique it can be easily solved. Firstly, when negated, the correct answer choice will destroy the conclusion making it unjustifiable. Secondly, negated or not, the correct answer to ‘Assumption’ question must not contradict the premise or call it into question. Premise is a principle and should be taken as a universal truth.

Conclusion: Exports of United States wood pulp will rise
Premise: Japan and EU will buy only this pulp because of its cheaper price.

Now let’s see whether the negation of answer choices will destroy the conclusion.

A. Negated: Paper related production will not increase in Japan and EU.
Does this negation destroy the conclusion? No, does not. Although there is no production increase, Japan and EU paper product manufacturers may prefer to buy a lot of cheap wood pulp for their reserve and later use it or resell it to other manufacturers when the prices go up. So even if A is negated the conclusion is still justifiable.

C. Negated: If cost were a factor Japan and EU would use United States wood pulp.
Does this negation destroy the conclusion? No, does not. Rather this negation makes the conclusion even more justifiable repeating the premise that the cheaper price is a driving force or factor. So even if C is negated the conclusion is still justifiable.

Not negated: If cost were not a factor Japan and EU would use United States wood pulp.
As I aforementioned, even not negated or in its original form, the correct answer choice must not contradict the premise. C says that price is not a factor and therefore Japan and EU would buy the pulp regardless of its high or cheap price. C clearly contradicts the premise and therefore is not correct.

D. Negated: Demand for Japanese and EU paper products will increase sharply.
Does this negation destroy the conclusion? No, does not. Rather this negation makes the conclusion even more justifiable. If the price of United States wood pulp decreases and demand for Japanese and EU products increases, Japan and EU will be motivated to buy the wood pulp. So even if D is negated the conclusion is still justifiable.

E. Negated: United States wood pulp production will sharply increase.
Does this negation destroy the conclusion? No, does not. This increase will not prevent export from rising. Rather it may stimulate the export rise by increasing supply and resulting in even cheaper price for the wood pulp. So even if E is negated the conclusion is still justifiable.

B. Negated: The quality of United States wood pulp is not adequate for the purpose of Japan and EU manufacturers.
Does this negation destroy the conclusion? Let’s see. If the quality of the cheaper wood pulp is not adequate for the purpose of Japan and EU manufactures, then the wood pulp does not help them to accomplish their purpose. Hence there is no need to buy it. This means that exports will not rise due to demand from Japan and EU. The conclusion is destroyed. Correct.
GMAT Club Bot
Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably &nbs [#permalink] 06 Aug 2018, 13:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Exports of United States wood pulp will rise considerably

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.