It is currently 16 Aug 2017, 14:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

facing time problem while doing RC

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
facing time problem while doing RC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 00:59
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am facing a great problem while doing RC question .... i am taking notes while studying the paragraph n it's so time consuming that it make makes me end up doing rc in 10 minutes.

If I don't take notes in between then it affects my accuracy.

Kindly suggests wat to do ?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Expert Post
Top Contributor
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 1097 [4] , given: 343

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: facing time problem while doing RC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2017, 17:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a pretty sticky issue that probably deserves a long answer... and, well, the best I can do here is a relatively short answer. :)

First, there's some good advice in the RC section of the GMAT Club Ultimate Verbal Study Plan: https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-ver ... 33279.html. Some of it should be relevant to your timing struggles, too.

Beyond that, you can think of RC timing problems as coming from two sources: 1) you're fundamentally a slow reader, or 2) you're not optimizing your approach to questions. Or a combination of both is possible, too. To be honest, your reading speed is probably pretty "baked in" by the time you reach adulthood, so there might not be a ton that can you do about issue #1 in the short run -- though if you read enough difficult material over the long haul, you might become a faster reader, as well as becoming a better one. But if #2 is the problem, it can definitely be improved.

The most common error I see is that some GMAT test-takers will get stuck in the details of RC passages. And that's really not what you want to do: the details are always going to be there on the screen, and you can always look back at them. When you first read the passage, your goal should always be to understand the big picture: how is the passage structured, and what is the author trying to accomplish? Notice that most GMAT questions are going to be contextual: main idea, or primary purpose, or something about what the author's view might be on a particular issue. They rarely ask you to just regurgitate details, right?

As a baseline piece of advice -- which isn't necessarily right for everybody, but I'll say more about that in a moment -- I'd recommend stopping at the end of each paragraph to ask yourself: WHY is the author writing this? What's the point, what's the big picture, what's the goal? The author is introducing some sort of controversy in a field? Taking a particular stance on an argument? If you don't understand every detail, that's fine, as long as you understand the paragraph's purpose. For most people, writing a few words per paragraph -- just enough to keep you engaged in the big picture -- is enough.

And then keep doing the same thing with the rest of the paragraphs. Ask yourself why the paragraph is there, and how it connects with the previous paragraph. Write a few words, just to keep yourself on track. And if you find yourself writing reams of notes about the details of the passage, you're probably missing the point: you can always look back at those later.

Here's the big caveat: everybody is different. Some people simply read better when their hands are moving, and those people need to take TONS of notes to stay engaged. Different strokes for different folks. But the point of note-taking is to help you be an engaged, active, conscious reader. If the current way you're taking notes isn't helping you do that, then you'll need to try something different.

And keep practicing! That's often the best way to become more efficient.

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1097 [4] , given: 343

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 126

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.65
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: facing time problem while doing RC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2017, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks GMATNinja for your guidance. Actually I am facing the same problem! Spent almost 4 minutes to read the passage, write down the notes but shockingly did not use the notes at all. Will try your approach to improve my score in RC.

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 126

Re: facing time problem while doing RC   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2017, 18:46