Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:24 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35503 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: Few ideas are more deeply entrenched in our political culture than tha [#permalink]
generis wrote:
dushyanta wrote:
@generis- Thoughts?

dushyanta - I don't understand the "personalization" thing. What is it?

Please see my response HERE.

I think that Question #3 has no correct answer or that it has been typed incorrectly.
Something is wrong.

The question is not official. I would not worry about it. :)

(I know that "don't worry" is not a satisfactory answer, but it's the only one I can give when a question is not accurate.)

Personalization as in How I am approaching the RCs
By considering if I would be the Political Right person what would I do, given the things presented in the Passage
I would either act indifferent about it showing my reluctance or I would talk about something else which is the problems of landlords who had to leave their lands if any endangered species made its habitat in their lands

Now the latter option is not available I will chose the former.. i ll act indifferently..
Senior SC Moderator
Send PM
Re: Few ideas are more deeply entrenched in our political culture than tha [#permalink]
Expert Reply
dushyanta wrote:
generis wrote:
dushyanta wrote:
@generis- Thoughts?

dushyanta - I don't understand the "personalization" thing. What is it?

Please see my response HERE.

I think that Question #3 has no correct answer or that it has been typed incorrectly.
Something is wrong.

The question is not official. I would not worry about it. :)

(I know that "don't worry" is not a satisfactory answer, but it's the only one I can give when a question is not accurate.)

Personalization as in How I am approaching the RCs
By considering if I would be the Political Right person what would I do, given the things presented in the Passage
I would either act indifferent about it showing my reluctance or I would talk about something else which is the problems of landlords who had to leave their lands if any endangered species made its habitat in their lands

Now the latter option is not available I will chose the former.. i ll act indifferently..

The argument is very sensible and creative but I do not think it has enough support from the passage.
The right has not been indifferent; they've been too afraid of political ramifications to be indifferent.

I would agree with you if the language in option E said that the right would ACT as if they were indifferent (that phrasing is very similar to yours).
I would base my agreement on this very thin evidence from the passage: [the left and right have been] reluctant to acknowledge the good news.

The right has not been (felt) indifferent. The right has been afraid.
In English, the distinction between being indifferent and acting indifferent is quite a difference.

I can be (= feel) afraid or worried or angry but I can act as though I am indifferent.
If I actually am indifferent, I do not care at all. The right cares. They're afraid of regulatory success of any kind.

Your analysis is interesting. Nice work.
I'm still writing this question off as wrong.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33026 [1]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Alpha14 and generis

I have read all the replies, in my opinion C could not be the answer and yes no option could be taken as answer, i will not remove the question from the passage because generis has analyse it thoroughly. I cannot confirm the source and poster of the question was last logged in in 2011 :) so can't contact him/her too. I have added "debatable OA" tag. We have three more questions so don,t need to bother for this one.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Hi Please provide final response for this set , for Qn 3 .... there are many solutions with some saying B and some saying C so please clarify with reasoning
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
SajjadAhmad could you please provide an explanation for question 3?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33026 [0]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:

The OA given here was C which was wrong, the real OA is B instead of C, so i have updated the OA and posted OE of the same. Let me know if you have any questions.

Official Explanation

3. If the claims made in the passage are correct, how would politicians on the political right be expected to react to America‘s program to protect endangered species from extinction?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

What do we know from the passage about protecting endangered species? Only two things: that it‘s been successful but unfair to landowners. Which is the political right more likely to care about? Likely landowners and the right would likely attack the program on this basis. A quick scan of reaction knocks out (A) and (B), and understanding the reasons for that reaction leads immediately to (C).

(A): Opposite. While the right might like a lack of regulation, the program‘s success is only because of regulation.

(B): The correct answer

(C): Out of Scope. The right might enjoy refuting the claims of the left, but not if it comes with heavy governmental regulation.

(D): Distortion. While the right will reject the program, they‘re concerned less with the aspect of its success than its cost. Furthermore, we already know the program has been successful.

(E): They would not be indifferent as described above

Answer: B

Hope it helps
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2771 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Kritisood wrote:

The OA given here was C which was wrong, the real OA is B instead of C, so i have updated the OA and posted OE of the same. Let me know if you have any questions.

Official Explanation

3. If the claims made in the passage are correct, how would politicians on the political right be expected to react to America‘s program to protect endangered species from extinction?

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

What do we know from the passage about protecting endangered species? Only two things: that it‘s been successful but unfair to landowners. Which is the political right more likely to care about? Likely landowners and the right would likely attack the program on this basis. A quick scan of reaction knocks out (A) and (B), and understanding the reasons for that reaction leads immediately to (C).

(A): Opposite. While the right might like a lack of regulation, the program‘s success is only because of regulation.

(B): The correct answer

(C): Out of Scope. The right might enjoy refuting the claims of the left, but not if it comes with heavy governmental regulation.

(D): Distortion. While the right will reject the program, they‘re concerned less with the aspect of its success than its cost. Furthermore, we already know the program has been successful.

(E): They would not be indifferent as described above

Answer: B

Hope it helps

Sir, I still didn't get it why they appraise government action which is refuting there own claims against government.
Aren't we talking about the opposition leaders here?
Kindly explain

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
Dear VeritasKarishma DmitryFarber,

Can you please help with Qn#3 :)

The OA given is B but I think that the OA should be C. Please help.

In the passage about the right-wing politicians, nothing is mentioned related to political rivalry with the left-wing politicians.
But it is mentioned that - "the right is afraid of the good news because it shows that governmental regulations might occasionally amount to something other than wickedness incarnate, and actually produce benefits at an affordable cost."
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64981 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sssanskaar wrote:

In the passage about the right-wing politicians, nothing is mentioned related to political rivalry with the left-wing politicians.
But it is mentioned that - "the right is afraid of the good news because it shows that governmental regulations might occasionally amount to something other than wickedness incarnate, and actually produce benefits at an affordable cost."

Looks like there is a big confusion between (B) and (C) even in the official solution so ignore it all.

Relevant parts:

"Since 1973, when the Endangered Species Act took effect, seven animal species in North America have disappeared. Several hundred others once considered certain to die out continue to exist in the wild. A number of species, including the bald eagle and the Arctic peregrine falcon have been or are being taken off the priority-protection list."
"It‘s true, of course, that some environmental programs are muddled. For instance, the Endangered Species Act can have the unfair effect of penalizing landholders who discover rare creatures on their property, by prohibiting use of the land."
"the right is afraid of the good news because it shows that governmental regulations might occasionally amount to something other than wickedness incarnate, and actually produce benefits at an affordable cost."

This tells us that the Endangered Species Act (ESA) is a success. The ESA has penalised some landholders (so has been expensive to them).
It also tells us that right is afraid of the good news because it shows that Govt regulations could amount to success and that too at low cost.

So what is the right likely to say? They will not extol ESA since they are afraid of good news. They don't want to show that Govt regulations can be successful. They would criticize ESA because its success was due to costly regulations.

Hence option (C) makes the most sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
sssanskaar wrote:

Looks like there is a big confusion between (B) and (C) even in the official solution so ignore it all.

Relevant parts:

"Since 1973, when the Endangered Species Act took effect, seven animal species in North America have disappeared. Several hundred others once considered certain to die out continue to exist in the wild. A number of species, including the bald eagle and the Arctic peregrine falcon have been or are being taken off the priority-protection list."
"It‘s true, of course, that some environmental programs are muddled. For instance, the Endangered Species Act can have the unfair effect of penalizing landholders who discover rare creatures on their property, by prohibiting use of the land."
"the right is afraid of the good news because it shows that governmental regulations might occasionally amount to something other than wickedness incarnate, and actually produce benefits at an affordable cost."

This tells us that the Endangered Species Act (ESA) is a success. The ESA has penalised some landholders (so has been expensive to them).
It also tells us that right is afraid of the good news because it shows that Govt regulations could amount to success and that too at low cost.

So what is the right likely to say? They will not extol ESA since they are afraid of good news. They don't want to show that Govt regulations can be successful. They would criticize ESA because its success was due to costly regulations.

Hence option (C) makes the most sense.

Thanks a lot for the confirmation! You are a savior! :)

Quote:

I picked option C on this thought process. Feels good to know that my approach was correct. Thanks again :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Could somebody please help with the solution of Q3. OE seems to wrong here as indicated by all the replies
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts