GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 01:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Fifty years ago this November, Lyndon B. Johnson

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Fifty years ago this November, Lyndon B. Johnson [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 05 Jun 2017, 04:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (01:45) correct 43% (01:29) wrong based on 462 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Fifty years ago this November, Lyndon B. Johnson signed into law a bill that aimed to transform American higher education and that promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through federal grants, work-study jobs, and low-interest loans

A. that aimed to transform American higher education and that promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through
B. ,aimed to transform American higher education and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans by providing
C. that aimed to transform American higher education and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans providing
D. that aimed to transform American higher education promising to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through
E. that aims to transform American higher education and make a college education more accessible to more Americans through

OA and OE after three responses.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 07 Nov 2015, 04:58.
Last edited by broall on 05 Jun 2017, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.
OA added
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Re: Fifty years ago this November, Lyndon B. Johnson [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 05:42
daagh wrote:
Fifty years ago this November, Lyndon B. Johnson signed into law a bill that aimed to transform American higher education and that promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through federal grants, work-study jobs, and low-interest loans

A. that aimed to transform American higher education and that promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through
B. ,aimed to transform American higher education and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans by providing
C. that aimed to transform American higher education and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans providing
D. that aimed to transform American higher education promising to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through
E. that aims to transform American higher education and make a college education more accessible to more Americans through

A... sentence is correct as it is.. however i think 'a' is incorrect in 'a college education'.

That is required
C, D and E change meaning by change in construction

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 06:08
A seems best: that aimed to transform American higher education and that promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through

faults in bold:
B. ,aimed to transform American higher education and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans by providing ----->faulty parallelism
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 08:46
aditya8062 wrote:
A seems best: that aimed to transform American higher education and that promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through

Hello, isn't the correct idiom "aimed at"?
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 09:49
A. that aimed to transform American higher education and that promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through --- Correct

B. ,aimed to transform American higher education and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans by providing -----, aimed is a participle and ‘promised’ is a past tense verb; so unparallel; In addition it is missing the ‘that’

C. that aimed to transform American higher education and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans providing –- ‘that’ is missing; in addition, Moe Americans providing distorts the meaning that it is the Americans who are providing

D. that aimed to transform American higher education promising to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through ----‘Higher education promising’ implies wrongly that it is the education is promising rather than the bill. There should be a comma before promising for it to modify the bill

E. that aims to transform American higher education and make a college education more accessible to more Americans through – ---- ‘aims’, a present tense verb is wrong in the context; ‘aimed’ is more fitting to denote something started at a particular time in the past. ‘aims’ will render it eternal, which is not true since the bill did not exist before 1965.

With regard to the use of 'a collegiate education', this is adopted from an article that appeared under the given URL,

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1233 ... rld-stoner

The cited article says –– ‘to make a college education’ -. If that usage is good enough, we may as well take it, I believe.

Regarding idiom 'aim at' or 'aim to'

Aim to and aim at or even aim for or aim with are all ok depending upon the context.

1. Aim to is used as infinitive; followed by a verb to indicate a purpose. --- Every student aims to score 700+
2. aim at --- aim at something like a place or a thing; usually followed by a noun or gerund. ---- Arjuna aimed at the head of the bird.
3. aim with: The killer aimed with a gun; followed by a noun
4. aim for: He aimed for the Himalayas; followed by a noun

HTH

Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 20:25
daagh wrote:
Regarding idiom 'aim at' or 'aim to'

Aim to and aim at or even aim for or aim with are all ok depending upon the context.

Thanks daagh. I have an idiom list (which I downloaded from somewhere long time back, so I don't remember from where). In that list, "aim at" is given as the correct idiom.

I searched on the net for an official question and found this: The Baldrick Manufacturing Company has for several years followed a policy aimed at decreasing operating costs and improving the efficiency of its distribution system.

So, by any chance, have you come across an official example where "aim to" is correct? This will remove my confusion.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 21:43
gmatgrl

I will tell when I find one.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 22:09
daagh wrote:
gmatgrl

I will tell when I find one.

Hi,
gmatgrl may be correct in her assessment..
although in the avail choices, only 'aim to' was used..
the explanation by OG on the Q mentioned above is..
the infinitives to decrease and to improve, while parallel, are less idiomatic
than the prepositional phrase of decreasing ... and improving in modifying the noun aim.
it says that infinitive used with 'aim' is less idiomatic..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 22:12
chetan

Avail choices ? which OG question are you referring to? can u pl give me the link?

Narendran +9198845 44509

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 22:48
hi daagh,
the q is
212. The Baldrick Manufacturing Company has for
several years followed a policy aimed at decreasing operating costs and improving the efficiency of its
distribution system.
(A) aimed at decreasing operating costs and improving
(B) aimed at the decreasing of operating costs and to improve
(C) aiming at the decreasing of operating costs and improving
(D) the aim of which is the decreasing of operating costs and improving
(E) with the aim to decrease operating costs and to improve

the OE is..
The best choice, A, offers an adjective phrase unequivocally modifying policy and exhibiting grammatical
parallelism (decreasing ... and improving). In choice B, the gerund the decreasing is not grammatically
parallel with the infinitive to improve. Likewise, in C and D, the decreasing of... costs is not parallel with
improving the efficiency. In E, the infinitives to decrease and to improve, while parallel, are less idiomatic
than the prepositional phrase of decreasing ... and improving in modifying the noun aim. Also, with the aim...
improve can easily be construed as referring to the Baldrick Manufacturing Company and so does not refer
unequivocally to policy.

GMAT online Tutor

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2015, 23:36
chetan@

Incidentally, can you see the following threads to know MGMAT'sview on this.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t4331.html
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t4627.html

The logical question is whether if one form of an idiom is only good in a particular context on OG, then should we consider the forms of idioms incorrect?
In other words, should we never use in GMAT anything other than 'aim at", whatever be the context? This process may lead us to de-learning I feel. Why the magazine used ' 'aim to' is beside the point. But the larger picture is about meaning and modification and parallelism.

Coming to the Baldrick Manufacturing Company, E in the given choice is definitely wrong. because of using the prepositional phrase ‘with' to start the modifier. When we use a preposition with, the noun that follows does not go well with the infinitive. May be ‘with the aim of ‘ will be more appropriate. In the fifty years case, all the choices use 'aim' in the meaning of a verb or participle. That is the reason I insist, we look at the context and decide

In addition as the OE says --- 'Also, with the aim... to improve' can easily be construed as referring to the Baldrick Manufacturing Company and so does not refer unequivocally to policy'. So there is a more serious grammatical error of ambiguous modification in the choice.

We cannot a compare wrong choice with the text under context.

Narendran +9198845 44509

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 03:13
daagh wrote:
chetan@

Incidentally, can you see the following threads to know MGMAT'sview on this.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t4331.html
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t4627.html

The logical question is whether if one form of an idiom is only good in a particular context on OG, then should we consider the forms of idioms incorrect?
In other words, should we never use in GMAT anything other than 'aim at", whatever be the context? This process may lead us to de-learning I feel. Why the magazine used ' 'aim to' is beside the point. But the larger picture is about meaning and modification and parallelism.

Coming to the Baldrick Manufacturing Company, E in the given choice is definitely wrong. because of using the prepositional phrase ‘with' to start the modifier. When we use a preposition with, the noun that follows does not go well with the infinitive. May be ‘with the aim of ‘ will be more appropriate. In the fifty years case, all the choices use 'aim' in the meaning of a verb or participle. That is the reason I insist, we look at the context and decide

In addition as the OE says --- 'Also, with the aim... to improve' can easily be construed as referring to the Baldrick Manufacturing Company and so does not refer unequivocally to policy'. So there is a more serious grammatical error of ambiguous modification in the choice.

We cannot a compare wrong choice with the text under context.

Hi daagh,
I take the point and did go through the links fwd..
However, Can the MGMAT tell in this very example, what does aim at refer to as meaning: intend to or focused at..
"The Baldrick Manufacturing Company has for
several years followed a policy aimed at focused at decreasing operating costs and improving the efficiency of its
distribution system." or
The Baldrick Manufacturing Company has for
several years followed a policy aimed at intended to decrease operating costs and improve the efficiency of its
distribution system...
So aren't focused at and intended to interchangable... and thus aim at/to..
I did go through few more usage of aim to/at in OG, if not in SC, in CR and RC..
yes, both are being used and at places depend on the construction say..
The passage aims to provide...
The passage is aimed at providing..

GMAT online Tutor

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 05:49
blayel
Thanks for your deep research delving into British Dictionaries such Cambridge and Oxford. Your point of view that one should be careful about the voice of the verb before using ‘aimed at’ or ‘aimed to’ is understood. With that experience, now you should be able to confirm whether in the correct choice A in the “Fifty years case ago” case, the phrase ‘a bill that aimed to’ is used in the active voice or passive voice

Narendran +9198845 44509

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 22:34
Hi GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma generis

Is this sentence testing parallelism?
A bill that did X and Y.

In (C) why are AIMED and PROMISED (both in simple past tense) not make sense and why we can't ASSUME 'THAT' before promised?

C Says:
Fifty years ago this November, Lyndon B. Johnson signed into law a bill
that aimed to transform American higher education ( that correctly refers to bill)
and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans providing federal grants, work-study jobs, and low-interest loans

I agree that providing is an incorrect modifier for Americans.

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 03:57
daagh wrote:

Not really a great question IMO-atleast not GMAT like. In A, how can a bill promise to make college education more accessible?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 05:36
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja VeritasPrepKarishma generis

Is this sentence testing parallelism?
A bill that did X and Y.

In (C) why are AIMED and PROMISED (both in simple past tense) not make sense and why we can't ASSUME 'THAT' before promised?

C Says:
Fifty years ago this November, Lyndon B. Johnson signed into law a bill
that aimed to transform American higher education ( that correctly refers to bill)
and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans providing federal grants, work-study jobs, and low-interest loans

I agree that providing is an incorrect modifier for Americans.

The second "that" is not essential.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 06:16
daagh wrote:
A. that aimed to transform American higher education and that promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans through --- Correct

B. ,aimed to transform American higher education and promised to make a college education more accessible to more Americans by providing -----, aimed is a participle and ‘promised’ is a past tense verb; so unparallel; In addition it is missing the ‘that’

HI Daagh,

Please clarify,
1. How did you reach the conclusion that "promised" used here is a verb and not a participle?
2. Why cant we treat this option as a "Noun modifier"

Thanks
Teja
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 00:54
VeritasPrepKarishma

I chose option A and it looks like it is the correct option. But i am not sure whether the 'a college education' is correct in the option A.

Please advise.

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 22:52
akadiyan wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma

I chose option A and it looks like it is the correct option. But i am not sure whether the 'a college education' is correct in the option A.

Please advise.

Many abstract nouns can be used in countable as well as uncountable forms. They are most often used as countable nouns when speaking about a specific entity that is not abstract.
We often use "a good education" too.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Fifty years ago this November, Lyndon B. Johnson   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2018, 22:52

Fifty years ago this November, Lyndon B. Johnson

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap