GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 15:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Finally, it's my turn! 760 Q51 V41, seven weeks after 690!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Finally, it's my turn! 760 Q51 V41, seven weeks after 690!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 19:08
Hellozzz!

I must admit that reading the success stories on this forum was a great deal of inspiration during the depressing patches in my prep. On the 7th heaven, I hope that this post will give back to the forum, inspiring others in the same position as I was until 2 days ago :)

Here is my debrief...

First attempt...

Started with official guide
Revised my CAT (Indian entrance for MBA) notes and books
Completed Manhattan sentence correction
Took GMATPREP
Revised official guide
Completed verbal and math review
Took free Manhattan, Veritas tests. Found them off the GMAT so did not proceed.
Exam pack 1
Repeated GMATPREP; scored 740, 760 here.
Exam day- the test seemed more difficult, I struggled for time. Had to mark the last 2 questions in Quant as well as Verbal blindly.
690- disappointed.
Coming from the common Indian IT pool, I need a high score.

Second attempt...

Took a few days break from studies.
Took 5 weeks off from office.
Revised all I did in the first attempt.
Took Experts Gobal's online course. They have a 14 weeks x 20 hours per week study plan, I completed almost everything in 4 weeks as I studied virtually all day.
I solved 2 exercises of RC per day (4 RCs) on a GMAT like interface of Experts' Global. This really helped.
Completed all theory videos (100+, each approx 15 mins average) of Experts' Gobal's and solved all their exercises (2000 plus questions I think) as well as their 15 mocks. Also completed their 200 short 1-minute videos, a great tool for revision.
Revised everything and emphasised on analysing everything carefully.
Completed EP2- 770, 750. Scores in last three Experts Global mocks were 750, 760, 750. In these 5 mocks, Quant score kept at 50-51 and verbal score varied between 40 and 44.
One day before exam, revised a few things, slept for 10 hours :)
Exam day- found myself more confident, the test got really difficult towards the end but I told myself that I must be doing well :)
Turned out, I was doing well :)

Happy score, great end to all the hard work and leaves from office.

A special mention for Experts' Global here- your videos are great, the short videos that you call GMAT Shots are awesome- I took several shots each night before sleeping :), the GMAT like interface for all thousands of questions really help in getting used to GMAT, the SC Book is really detailed, and one of the best things is your mocks- in great sync with GMAT and great in depth and variety of concepts. The analytics are amazing and they make identifying the weaknesses really easy. Great platform! I am having a very fine experience so far with my applications also with you- a lot to cover in the coming weeks but that's for later. Sincere thanks for the GMAT help!

Key learnings from my GMAT preparation...

Do not underestimate quant. Q48 to Q51 was great help in lifting my score.
Before practicing dedicatedly, as far as possible, master the concepts.
RC is the king, especially on the shorter test; mastering RCs makes the test easy.
Take a lot of tests. After GMATPrep, Experts Global's tests are the closest to GMAT.
Don't repeat the mocks, the inflated scores harm!
Spend a lot of time on analysing the performance and the mistakes.
Have a plan for your preparation (Experts' Global's program did that for me), else it can get overwhelming.
Very important- GMAT can be very interesting, have fun...don't be bored or too serious in your preparation. Enjoy the process.

Thank you all, guys. I have long been a passive contributor, happy to be posting of late. Happiest for this post :)

Go, win the GMAT!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
WE: Advertising (Advertising and PR)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Finally, it's my turn! 760 Q51 V41, seven weeks after 690!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 21:25
hi smritisingh8

congratulations on the fantastic score! will you please share your verbal scores for your first and last attempt...and subsection scores, if you had ordered an ESR.

Thank you.

If you find my post useful, please give me a kudos.

Thank you.
Regards,
ENEM

If you wish to spend wisely on your gmat prep material, check my post titled: How to Spend Money On GMAT Material Wisely, link: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-buy-gmat-material-wisely-tag-free-gmat-resources-236174.html

Simple and handy template for CR: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-and-handy-template-for-cr-242255.html

simple template for more vs greater and fewer vs less: https://gmatclub.com/forum/simple-template-for-more-vs-greater-and-fewer-vs-less-242216.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 16 May 2018, 01:45
smritisingh8

Congrats for your great score.
For verbal, did you solely rely upon expert global's material and Manhattan sentence correction?

Good, good Let the kudos flow through you

Originally posted by Princ on 15 May 2018, 22:00.
Last edited by Princ on 16 May 2018, 01:45, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 00:57
ENEM wrote:
hi smritisingh8

congratulations on the fantastic score! will you please share your verbal scores for your first and last attempt...and subsection scores, if you had ordered an ESR.

Thank you.
Hi ENEM,

Thank you.

It was V36 in the last attempt. Sorry, I don't have the ESR...didn't ask for it last time as I think I knew where I lacked and no incentive for ordering it now as I will not be taking the test again :)

Sent from my SM-T285 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 00:05
Princ wrote:
smritisingh8

Congrats for your great score.
For verbal, did you solely rely upon expert global's material and Manhattan sentence correction?

Hello Princ,

Thank you!

Yes, I relied on Experts Global for all concept building, Quant as well as Verbal.

Manhattan sentence correction was helpful and later, Experts Global's sentence correction material really made a difference; apart from a bunch of well structured videos and exercises, they have a very exhaustive set of sentence correction ebooks. Just that these books are quite a lot, some 10 sets with 60 or so slides each. As I really wanted to go deep into sentence correction, it really helped.

Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 00:40
Hi! Congratulations on the great score! You mentioned you completed the 14*20 = 280 hours of classes in 4 weeks, so must be around 10 hours everyday of classes. So did you spend more time beyond that to solve the 2000 plus questions and 15 mocks? And also, since you revised and analysed everything so how did you find time for that? Sorry, I am asking since I am finding it very difficult to retain my lessons and practice and analyse and give mocks, any insights on schedule-making/time-management without getting burn-out might be very useful.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 01:07
urvashis09 wrote:
Hi! Congratulations on the great score! You mentioned you completed the 14*20 = 280 hours of classes in 4 weeks, so must be around 10 hours everyday of classes. So did you spend more time beyond that to solve the 2000 plus questions and 15 mocks? And also, since you revised and analysed everything so how did you find time for that? Sorry, I am asking since I am finding it very difficult to retain my lessons and practice and analyse and give mocks, any insights on schedule-making/time-management without getting burn-out might be very useful.

Hey Urvashi,

Thanks a ton.

Great question.

The plan includes everything (concept building, practice, revision etc) and watching videos (there are no live classes, just recorded videon lessons) was a small part, probably 25% of the entire preparation. As it was a retake for me with the intention of taking 690 to 750 plus and I was on a sabbatical, I took a mock every second day, sometimes on consecutive days. I did skip some of the stage 2 exercises. Overall, I studied for 2 sittings of 4 hours each and watched a lot of videos before sleeping.

From my experience, I will suggest that it will be great if you can...

Study in sitting of 3 hours plus as GMAT is a long test. I am not sure whether you have all day for preparation; if so, try to do 2 such long sittings, else one.
Have separate buckets of time for concept building and practice.
Analyze the practiced stuff then and there, don't leave it for later.
Keep revising, revisiting the videos (or whatever source you are using) in spare time. You are right, concepts are difficult to retain so don't wait for all to complete, keep revising alongside, especially the topics that you find challenging.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck with your prep.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 01:15
Thank you so much, I used to put practicing on hold and never differentiated between concept building and practice sessions. I was looking for strategies to pull my score since I am stuck at a very average score. These insights will definitely help. All the best for your MBA journey! :-)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2018, 08:47
smritisingh8

First of all congratulations for the stellar score.

I was about to ask about strategy followed and other aspects about your prep, but you have given answers to all my questions in your previous replies.

8 hours of prep per day plus few shots at
night is a grilling schedule. Your dedication can be seem from the score.

All the best for your application.

Posted from my mobile device

Please give kudos if it helps

Resources
Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT ! ! ! | SC Blogs by Magoosh | How to improve your verbal score | Things i wish i could've done earlier | Ultimate Q51 Guide

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2018, 09:12
akadiyan wrote:
smritisingh8

First of all congratulations for the stellar score.

I was about to ask about strategy followed and other aspects about your prep, but you have given answers to all my questions in your previous replies.

8 hours of prep per day plus few shots at
night is a grilling schedule. Your dedication can be seem from the score.

All the best for your application

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks urvashis09, good luck with your prep. Keep giving it your best, the test eventually likes you back :)

akadiyan

Happy that the post helped. Please feel free to ask any particular questions you may have. Happy to help :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Finally, it's my turn! 760 Q51 V41, seven weeks after 690! &nbs [#permalink] 22 May 2018, 09:12

Finally, it's my turn! 760 Q51 V41, seven weeks after 690!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap