GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Status: Impossible is just an opinion
Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Posts: 47
Location: Ukraine
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User
Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 01:33
1
8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (00:50) correct 63% (00:50) wrong based on 436 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the meeting due to the severity of the snow storm, so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time.
a) so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time
b) therefore I suggest that the meeting should be cancelled until another time
c) and my suggestion is to be postponing the meeting until a better time
d) for which at another time we can be having it
e) thereby it ought to be postponed until a more safe time

Source: GMAT Club Ultimate Grammar
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 154
Location: Poland
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the m  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 03:13
1
lucbesson wrote:
Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the meeting due to the severity of the snow storm, so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time.
a) so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time
b) therefore I suggest that the meeting should be cancelled until another time
c) and my suggestion is to be postponing the meeting until a better time
d) for which at another time we can be having it
e) thereby it ought to be postponed until a more safe time

Source: GMAT Club Ultimate Grammar



OA is WRONG!

A is correct: Command Subjunctive, "so" is correctly used in the meaning of "therefore", "postpone sh until" is idiomatic!

B is 100% WRONG: you never use "I suggest that sh should" - this is terrible. "To be cancelled until another time" is no less nonsensical: Unlike postponing, cancellation cannot be upheld continuously. Cancellation is not durative action, it is punctual action!

A is the correct answer.
_________________

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 359
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the m  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 03:29
lucbesson wrote:
Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the meeting due to the severity of the snow storm, so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time.
a) so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time
b) therefore I suggest that the meeting should be cancelled until another time
c) and my suggestion is to be postponing the meeting until a better time
d) for which at another time we can be having it
e) thereby it ought to be postponed until a more safe time

Source: GMAT Club Ultimate Grammar

A) What is to be posponed? snow storm or meeting? "it" has modifier problem. Wrong.
B) Meaningful and error free. Correct.
C) So the postponement will be continuously ongoing activity! Changes the meaning. Wrong.
D) No clear reference for "which" and "it". Wrong.
E) No clear reference for "it". Wrong.

Correct answer is B.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 154
Location: Poland
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the m  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2013, 04:36
B contains a grammatical howler, is unidiomatic and illogical.
A contains one grammatical ambiguity easy to eliminate by logic.
No chance an answer like B to be correct on the GMAT.
I disagree with a question from this source one more time.
_________________

If I answered your question with this post, use the motivating power of kudos!

VP
VP
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1054
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 21:34
MDK wrote:
Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the meeting due to the severity of the snow storm, so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time.
a) so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time
b) therefore I suggest that the meeting should be cancelled until another time
c) and my suggestion is to be postponing the meeting until a better time
d) for which at another time we can be having it
e) thereby it ought to be postponed until a more safe time

Source: GMAT Club Ultimate Grammar


the question outside official sourse such as og or gmatprep is used for practice logic /meaning analysis . we should not follow the unofficial .

A is best though "it" is ambiguous
_________________

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2692
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 07:59
1
this is an example of why questions from unknown sources are bad for preparation.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 02:36
1
Yes, the OA should be A. "It" is only technically ambiguous. No one's going to think that we're suggesting that the storm be postponed, so A works.

But no, this is not really a GMAT-like question. For instance, the GMAT never uses the first person ("I").
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 11 Dec 2016
Posts: 7
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 00:21
DmitryFarber wrote:
Yes, the OA should be A. "It" is only technically ambiguous. No one's going to think that we're suggesting that the storm be postponed, so A works.

But no, this is not really a GMAT-like question. For instance, the GMAT never uses the first person ("I").



'It' is used in option A.....but what is the antecedent of IT? Snow Storm / Meeting? a genuine ambiguity........Option B has no such issue.....other options are trash...
Manhattan Prep Instructor
User avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 1302
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 00:45
B doesn't work. As HumptyDumpty stated, we can't use "should" with "suggest." B also has a comma splice: the portion after the comma is an independent clause, so we'd need a semicolon. Additionally, you can't cancel something "until another time." The meeting is either cancelled or it isn't. We can postpone a meeting, but then the phrase "until another time" would be redundant.

As for A, all I can do is reiterate that there is no lack of clarity about the intended antecedent. Many official GMAT SC questions feature pronouns with more than one possible antecedent, but only one logical one. A few examples:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-late-1997 ... 85840.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/congress-is- ... 67594.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-professor- ... 22418.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/in-some-type ... 20379.html
_________________


Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Dec 2016
Posts: 250
Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 10:19
I don't think the answer is B. The reason is that B is a comma splice. A comma splice is the use of a comma to join two independent clauses.

Comma Splice: My family bakes together nearly every night, we then get to enjoy everything we make together.

Correction : My family bakes together nearly every night. We then get to enjoy everything we make together.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Aug 2016
Posts: 56
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V36
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V40
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2017, 13:48
It is really dangerous when such posts pop up!

Posts must be representative of the GMAT and nothing else!

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jun 2016
Posts: 66
Location: India
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V21
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 12:10
OA must be corrected to A...
Useless question...
_________________

If you appreciate my post then please click +1Kudos :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Status: preparing for GMAT
Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Posts: 23
GPA: 3.55
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 14:23
Any time a pronoun is used to describe a noun in a previous clause, we run into issues of ambiguity.

This is a very simple question when considered through the lens of the GMAT test makers. They are testing whether or not we can identify the fact the ambiguity in the second clause.

We can and we alter the sentence to remove the ambiguity by adding the "meeting" to the second clause.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Aug 2018
Posts: 4
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2018, 02:52
victory47 wrote:
MDK wrote:
Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the meeting due to the severity of the snow storm, so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time.
a) so I suggest that it be postponed until a later time
b) therefore I suggest that the meeting should be cancelled until another time
c) and my suggestion is to be postponing the meeting until a better time
d) for which at another time we can be having it
e) thereby it ought to be postponed until a more safe time

Source: GMAT Club Ultimate Grammar


the question outside official sourse such as og or gmatprep is used for practice logic /meaning analysis . we should not follow the unofficial .

A is best though "it" is ambiguous


thought it was ambiguous. but i doubt it cos if only fits for the meeting.

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the &nbs [#permalink] 10 Aug 2018, 02:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Five of the committee members will be unable to attend the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.