GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 21:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

17 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Sep 2017, 18:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:21) correct 36% (01:24) wrong based on 3621 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 739
Page: 696

In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

(A) a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well

(B) a thick needle layer protects buds from where new growth proceeds, so that they can withstand forest fires relatively well

(C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires

(D) since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well

(E) because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively easily as a result

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Originally posted by AbdurRakib on 15 Jun 2016, 11:43.
Last edited by hazelnut on 28 Sep 2017, 18:53, edited 4 times in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
34 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 00:57
A vs. B: from which vs from where -----> from where is used from places and from which is used for items or things . From which is correct .

A vs. C a thick layer (singular) thus protects is needed .

A vs D D is passive . Also "therefore" used is redundant when since/because is used .

Thus A is the best answer.

way to victory .....

General Discussion
6 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2016, 09:05
AbdurRakib wrote:
In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the buds form which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

A) a thick layer of needles, protects the buds form which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well
B) a thick needle layer protects buds from where new growth proceeds, so that they can withstand forest fires relatively well
C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires
D) since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well
E) because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively easily as a result

OG 2017 New Question

There are two types of modifiers in the sentence- 'which' and 'where'

Where can only refer to place and not to thing. Hence 'where' can not refer to buds. B and E are out.

C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires. 'withstand relatively well any forest fires' must be 'withstand forest fires relatively well '
D) In some types of pine tree,since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well. run on sentence

A is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V38
Re: In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 21:26
First split - protects vs protect
Since in all the answer choices we are referring to “thick layer” hence the verb should be singular i.e. protects
Eliminate -> C

Second split - thick layer or needles vs thick needle layer
First one looks better to me as the sentence implies thick layer (it could also imply thick layer of “thin” needles here )
Eliminate -> B

Option to consider A, D and E
Option E -> where is generally used to refer to the geographical place and hence looks wrong to me when it modifies buds (in which could have been used).

Between A and D, whenever two independent clauses are joined by conjunctive adverb (consequently in this case) semi-colon is used. Hence D can be eliminated.

Option A looks best of all.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 05:35
Keats wrote:
Konstantin1983 wrote:
D and E lack verbs. C has S-V agreement problem. Between A and B the former is correct. B distorts intended meaning

Konstantin1983 Can you point out the verbs missing in D and E?

Yes i can.

This is an original sentence - In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

What do we have in D and E?

D) since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well
E) because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively easily as a result

So if you paste D in origal sentence you get - In some types of pine tree, since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well If you eliminate bolded part there is no verb,right?

In E we have this - In some types of pine tree,because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively easily as a result Yes there is a verb for "they" but there is subject-verb agreement problem. "They" is about something else. There is no verb for pine tree

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 07:36
Ok per your analysis what is verb in D? Is it non-run-on sentence per your analysis?

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 07:43
Konstantin1983 wrote:
Ok per your analysis what is verb in D? Is it non-run-on sentence per your analysis?

In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well.

Option D)

In some types of pine tree, since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well

The structure that D follows is as below:
Prepositional Modifier, Since [Dependent Clause], Independent Clause

Also, the part in bold represents the subject-verb pair in both the clauses!
1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 07:43
Konstantin1983 wrote:

In D and E , I don't find any subject verb problem.

But remember, GMAC usually prefers sentences which are

1. in Active form
2. Clear and short(meaning Not Awkward)

Both D and E are in passive form while we have an answer choice in active form which is not incorrect grammatically and logically. Hence, A is preferred over D and E.

Also, E has 'where' and as per GMAC rules, where is used only for Places.

Always find the BEST answer out of those given, if not 100% accurate.

o, A is the BEST answer choice out of 5 given

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Expert Post
Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 21:37
Top Contributor

D’s most serious problem arises the redundancy of two adverbs namely consequently and therefore. In addition, the use of the subordinate conjunction since and the adverb ‘consequently’ is jarring. Furthermore, one can notice some weird structure in D. While in C, the proceeds is a verb meaning follows’ in D, because the verb -are protected- is placed next to the word ‘proceeds’, proceeds tends to become a plural noun meaning --the resultant products or outcome--. The correct way of presenting the structure would have been to set off the modifier part-- from which new growth proceeds – within a pair of commas as follows. - since the buds, from which new growth proceeds, are protected by a thick layer needle ….

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 08:13
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well
B) a thick needle layer protects buds from where new growth proceeds, so that they can withstand forest fires relatively well
C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires

OG 2017 New Question(Book Question: 739)

A) seems fine
B) POE SVA issue [a thick...] singular subject must agree with a singular verb [protects] not [protect]
C) POE Same issue as B
D) POE Since, consequently, therefore - makes the sentence very redundant.
E) POE [where from new growth happens] should be which because buds are not a place [relatively well as a result] sounds a lot more redundant than [relatively well]

My GMAT Journey From 550 - 740

My application debrief to Kellogg '19

My MBA Blog

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 11:11
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well

Correct
-- Use of where is wrong
-- A thick layer(Singular)..... Protect(Plural) SV number agreement error
-- Therefore is redundant
-- use of where is wrong.

Am i correct , pls comment
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 11:00
AbdurRakib wrote:

I think this is a rather decent questions because I initially disregarded option A only to come back and realize it is the best option.

Reasons:

A - Thought the semi colon was awkward at first but came to realize that 1) it is grammatically correct because the clause that follows in an independent clause 2) the ending of the sentence is very elegant

B - Changes the meaning. the original sentence states that the growth of the needs is a consequence not the reason why they grow

C - The ending of the sentence they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires is incredibly awkward

D - D is even more awkward than C

E - What is the antecedent for they? very ambiguous. Also the ending easily as a result gives me nightmares.

Hope this helps. I know it helps me personally by writing out my explanations.

Gmat prep 1 600
Veritas 1 650
Veritas 2 680
Gmat prep 2 690 (48Q 37V)
Gmat prep 5 730 (47Q 42V)
Gmat prep 6 720 (48Q 41V)

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Insead Sept '17
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 21:03
I saw the "well" is moving around.
Can explain what's wrong with "withstand forest fires relatively well" and "withstand relatively well forest fires).
I thought "well" is an adjective, modifying the word forest fire.
Relatively is adverb, modifying well.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2017, 11:31
RUSDI wrote:
I saw the "well" is moving around.
Can explain what's wrong with "withstand forest fires relatively well" and "withstand relatively well forest fires).
I thought "well" is an adjective, modifying the word forest fire.
Relatively is adverb, modifying well.

"Well" is an adverb here, modifying the verb phrase "withstand forest fires." "Well" is always an adverb, unless we're talking about health. (Example: "After a long struggle with hemorrhoids, Mike is well again." "Well" is an adjective in this case, describing Mike -- but you're very unlikely to see this usage on the GMAT.) Here's another example that gets into the difference between "good" (an adjective) and "well" (usually an adverb): https://gmatclub.com/forum/on-the-tourn ... 21371.html

In this question, the placement of "well" is clearer when it comes after "forest fires." In A, B, and D, it's clear that "well" modifies the entire phrase "withstand forest fires"; in C, it's a little bit less clear, because it's harder to figure out what, exactly, the pine trees withstand.

But the placement of "well" really isn't a big deal, to be honest. Notice that there's really no good reason to care about the placement of "well" in this question. C is the only answer choice that puts the word "well" in an awkward location, but C also has a terrible subject-verb error. So the placement of "well" really isn't the deciding factor.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q42 V20
GPA: 2.9

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 03:39
Hi,

Is it correct use "from which" instead of "from where" to modifies "buds"?
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 04:47
brightandamen wrote:
Hi,

Is it correct use "from which" instead of "from where" to modifies "buds"?

Hi brightandamen ,

GMAT is very strict with the use of 'where'.

'Where' MUST always be used to refer to physical places.

Hence, where usage in this sentence is 100% incorrect.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Director
Director
S
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 16:10
AbdurRakib wrote:

OG2017, SC739, P696

The subject is "a thick layer" therefore the verb must be singular- "protects." Why? In order to have consistency we could have

A thick layer of sponge protects
A thicker layer of grass protects
A thicker layer of fences protects

A is fine
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 21:06
Can someone please help me understand what sentence correction topic "from which" applies to? As a native English speaker, I've spent hours trying to figure out why this is correct: "a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds". I thought the phrase is "x protects y from z". I still don't understand what the buds are being protected from. Are the buds being protected from "which new growth proceeds"? If I said, "The armor protects the man from danger", that makes sense. If I said, "The armor protects the man from which new hope proceeds", the meaning of the sentence is not clear.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Dec 2017, 22:56
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2017

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 739
Page: 696

(A) a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds; consequently they are able to withstand forest fires relatively well

(B) a thick needle layer protects buds from where new growth proceeds, so that they can withstand forest fires relatively well

(C) a thick layer of needles protect the buds from which new growth proceeds; thus, they are able to withstand relatively well any forest fires

(D) since the buds from which new growth proceeds are protected by a thick layer needle layer, consequently they can therefore withstand forest fires relatively well

(E) because the buds where new growth happens are protected by a thick layer of needles, they are able to withstand forest fires relatively easily as a result

Dear GMATNinja , need your help here.

I remember your lesson about pronoun in two clauses : GMAT always follows a pattern that pronoun as a Subject in the second clause must have an antecedent in the form of Subject in the first clause.

Using this reasoning, I eliminated A and chose D. Is my reasoning wrong here?

Thank you!

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2017, 12:12
atr0038 wrote:
Can someone please help me understand what sentence correction topic "from which" applies to? As a native English speaker, I've spent hours trying to figure out why this is correct: "a thick layer of needles protects the buds from which new growth proceeds". I thought the phrase is "x protects y from z". I still don't understand what the buds are being protected from. Are the buds being protected from "which new growth proceeds"? If I said, "The armor protects the man from danger", that makes sense. If I said, "The armor protects the man from which new hope proceeds", the meaning of the sentence is not clear.

Sure, you could say that "x protects y from z." You could also say "new growth proceeds from buds" -- so then it would be completely fine to say "the buds from which new growth proceeds."

In other words: there's no reason to assume that the word "from" has anything at all to do with "protects" in this particular construction.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Re: In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2017, 12:12

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

In some types of pine tree, a thick layer of needles, protects the bud

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap