GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 09:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IMD '21
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 17:37
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo
I have a doubt concerned with option D, option d asks us to evaluate if Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

If the answer yes then our belief in the conclusion is strengthened since the executives were finding it difficult to keep up with all the developments. Hence reorganisation helped.

However if the answer is NO then i get a broad scope of conclusion in which before the reorganisation executives found it difficult to keep up with not all developments. Now here not all could mean (0-99)

So if before the reorganisation executives found it difficult to keep up with not all developments.(ie if not all means 0) then it shows that reorganisation was not the cause.
However, if before the reorganisation executives found it difficult to keep up with not all developments.(ie if not all means 99) then reorganisation could still be the cause. Since in the other part of evaluation we dont get a clear direction.
I think this option does not help us to evaluate.

Instead if in the option instead of not all some were written then it would have helped us to evaluate.
Pl correct me.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 17:36
hassu13 wrote:
GMATNinjaGMATNinjaTwo
I have a doubt concerned with option D, option d asks us to evaluate if Before the reorganization, had sales representatives found it difficult to keep up with relevant developments in all types of businesses to which they are assigned?

If the answer yes then our belief in the conclusion is strengthened since the executives were finding it difficult to keep up with all the developments. Hence reorganisation helped.

However if the answer is NO then i get a broad scope of conclusion in which before the reorganisation executives found it difficult to keep up with not all developments. Now here not all could mean (0-99)

So if before the reorganisation executives found it difficult to keep up with not all developments.(ie if not all means 0) then it shows that reorganisation was not the cause.
However, if before the reorganisation executives found it difficult to keep up with not all developments.(ie if not all means 99) then reorganisation could still be the cause. Since in the other part of evaluation we dont get a clear direction.
I think this option does not help us to evaluate.

Instead if in the option instead of not all some were written then it would have helped us to evaluate.
Pl correct me.

The key is in the question stem:

Quote:
In assessing whether the improvement in advertising sales can properly be attributed to the reorganization, it would be most helpful to find out which of the following EXCEPT:

The GMAT is asking us to eliminate the four choices that would be most helpful to find out and select the one answer choice that would be least helpful to find out.

In order to eliminate an answer choice, we don't need that choice to be a perfect, unshakable strengthener or weakener. We just need it to be helpful in assessing the conclusion.

More specifically, we need it to be more helpful than the correct answer choice. So, just like we've done with choice (E), it boils down to a single question: is (D) more helpful than (A)? Yes, it definitely is.

It's really that simple. We don't need to explore multiple interpretations of choice (D) to recognize that it is not the least helpful answer choice. That's why we keep (A), eliminate (D), and move on to the next question.

I hope this helps!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: Series 1: SC & CR Fundamentals | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset | Series 3: Word Problem Bootcamp + Next-Level SC & CR

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 17:48
I am a little confused with the answer to this question because the OG says the answer is B because "This statement provides another possible explanation for increased revenue of advertising sales, and so the answer to this question would help to clarify the reason for the increased revenue."
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2018, 17:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 23 posts ] 

Following several years of declining advertising sales, the Greenville

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics