GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 17:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

For all his managerial and executive ability , President

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
For all his managerial and executive ability , President  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2012, 02:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (00:48) correct 54% (01:03) wrong based on 504 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For all his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.

a)

b) For all that he was an able manager and executive

c) Despite him being an able manager and executive

d) Able as he was in being a manager and executive

e) Even having managerial and executive abilities

She is pretty for her age.
Does "for" in this question have the same meaning as the example above?
If it doesn't, what does it mean in the context of the sentence?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: PT #16 SC 13  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2012, 02:27
'For' in your example is a conjunction and 'for' in the question you posted acts as a preposition. Its a prepositional phrase and an idiom as well.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Intern
Intern
Re: PT #16 SC 13  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2012, 03:17
Can someone please explain why A is right.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GRE 1: Q163 V157
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: For all his managerial and executive ability , President  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 06:55
"For all his executive and managerial ability"...
I was stuck between A and D. The only reason I chose D, despite it being wordy was that I thought "ability" should be "abilities".
Can someone please clarify this?
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 11:28
eybrj2 wrote:
For all his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.

a)

b) For all that he was an able manager and executive

c) Despite him being an able manager and executive

d) Able as he was in being a manager and executive

e) Even having managerial and executive abilities

She is pretty for her age.
Does "for" in this question have the same meaning as the example above?
If it doesn't, what does it mean in the context of the sentence?

Yes, for has the same meaning as your example sentence. You could substitue the word "Despite" and the meaning would be the same.

Even though this is an old question (paper test), it has some good meaning elements.

A - This option is grammatically correct and has sensible meaning - "Despite managerial strenghts, Hoover was awkward with people".
B - This phrase really doesn't have a sensible meaning at all.
C - I like the word "Despite" more than "for", but the GMAT threw in "being" to invalidate the answer. This choice comes in an old test when "being" was always wrong on the GMAT.
D - Different construction that could work out from a meaning standpoint, but we have the same issue with "being" as we see in C.
E - "Even" doesn't convey the same meaning as "for" or "despite". It's close, but "even" doesn't show the sharp contract between ability and awkwardness.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 11:49
KyleWiddison wrote:
Yes, for has the same meaning as your example sentence. You could substitue the word "Despite" and the meaning would be the same.

Even though this is an old question (paper test), it has some good meaning elements.

A - This option is grammatically correct and has sensible meaning - "Despite managerial strenghts, Hoover was awkward with people".
B - This phrase really doesn't have a sensible meaning at all.
C - I like the word "Despite" more than "for", but the GMAT threw in "being" to invalidate the answer. This choice comes in an old test when "being" was always wrong on the GMAT.
D - Different construction that could work out from a meaning standpoint, but we have the same issue with "being" as we see in C.
E - "Even" doesn't convey the same meaning as "for" or "despite". It's close, but "even" doesn't show the sharp contract between ability and awkwardness.

KW

A and C both looked good for me and I went with C somehow... Can you please educate me why C is deemed to be wrong? Thanks.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2013, 22:08
Amateur wrote:
A and C both looked good for me and I went with C somehow... Can you please educate me why C is deemed to be wrong? Thanks.

C totally changes the meaning of the original sentence. The original sentence never says that he was "manager and executive"; he just had those "abilities".
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2013, 06:58
saumya12 wrote:
Amateur wrote:

C totally changes the meaning of the original sentence. The original sentence never says that he was "manager and executive"; he just had those "abilities".

Many mention that 'being' is an automatic disqualifier in most of the cases... In other posts a few were mentioning 'being' is not wrong in all the cases..... When can we expect the use of 'being'? Do you have any idea?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2015, 01:52
This post might help

when-you-should-eliminate-being-the-answer-is-here-141086.html

Amateur wrote:
saumya12 wrote:
Amateur wrote:

Many mention that 'being' is an automatic disqualifier in most of the cases... In other posts a few were mentioning 'being' is not wrong in all the cases..... When can we expect the use of 'being'? Do you have any idea?

Middle of nowhere!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 560 Q38 V29

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 13:13
Mr @mikemcgarry I'm looking for help on this question, I hope you can give me your opinion and perspective regarding the official answer and is explanation.

Allegedly the meaning of the sentence is the most important factor after: Grammar and stylistic and redundancy, but in this case, the phrase is shocking, I've never seen a phrase like this where the meaning seams flawed...
My choice was E, as changes the meaning (for the better in my opinion) and is grammatically correct.
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 13:53
PaterD wrote:
Mr @mikemcgarry I'm looking for help on this question, I hope you can give me your opinion and perspective regarding the official answer and is explanation.

Allegedly the meaning of the sentence is the most important factor after: Grammar and stylistic and redundancy, but in this case, the phrase is shocking, I've never seen a phrase like this where the meaning seams flawed...
My choice was E, as changes the meaning (for the better in my opinion) and is grammatically correct.

Hello PaterD,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

There is no doubt that this official sentence is pretty mind-boggling, literally. :grin:

We do not come across such sentences very often. But yes, the original sentence is absolutely grammatical.

Meaning Analysis]: First thing first. Let's understand the intended meaning of the sentence. The first part of the sentence says that President Hoover had managerial and executive ability. The second part of the sentence says that often, he was awkward and uncomfortable when it came to dealing with people.

So apparently, the sentence presents contrasting characteristics of President Hoover.

Error Analysis: The sentence does not use any contrasting word although it presents a contrast.

However, the phrase for all his managerial and executive ability is an expression that suggests that inherent contrast in the sentence. The phrase for all his xyz is generally followed by the information pretty contrasting in nature to what has been presented through the for phrase.

So we will hold on to this answer choice, unless we find a better choice that expresses the contrast in a better way.

Process of Elimination: So let's begin this step to see if option A really is the correct answer choice.

B) For all that he was an able manager and executive: Incorrect The phrase for all that... does not mean anything.

C) Despite him being an able manager and executive: Incorrect Use of the word despite is definitely more precise and direct to present the intended contrast. But the word being has been used incorrectly in this option.

D) Able as he was in being a manager and executive: Incorrect Same error as we saw in Choice B.

E) Even having managerial and executive abilities: Incorrect If there were Despite in place of Even, this choice would have been a contender for correct answer. The word even fails to present the contrast effectively.

Hence. Choice A indeed is the correct answer.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 560 Q38 V29

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 15:14
egmat wrote:
PaterD wrote:

Hello PaterD,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

There is no doubt that this official sentence is pretty mind-boggling, literally. :grin:

We do not come across such sentences very often. But yes, the original sentence is absolutely grammatical.

Meaning Analysis]: First thing first. Let's understand the intended meaning of the sentence. The first part of the sentence says that President Hoover had managerial and executive ability. The second part of the sentence says that often, he was awkward and uncomfortable when it came to dealing with people.

So apparently, the sentence presents contrasting characteristics of President Hoover.

Error Analysis: The sentence does not use any contrasting word although it presents a contrast.

However, the phrase for all his managerial and executive ability is an expression that suggests that inherent contrast in the sentence. The phrase for all his xyz is generally followed by the information pretty contrasting in nature to what has been presented through the for phrase.

So we will hold on to this answer choice, unless we find a better choice that expresses the contrast in a better way.

Process of Elimination: So let's begin this step to see if option A really is the correct answer choice.

B) For all that he was an able manager and executive: Incorrect The phrase for all that... does not mean anything.

C) Despite him being an able manager and executive: Incorrect Use of the word despite is definitely more precise and direct to present the intended contrast. But the word being has been used incorrectly in this option.

D) Able as he was in being a manager and executive: Incorrect Same error as we saw in Choice B.

E) Even having managerial and executive abilities: Incorrect If there were Despite in place of Even, this choice would have been a contender for correct answer. The word even fails to present the contrast effectively.

Hence. Choice A indeed is the correct answer.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Dear Shraddha egmat
Thanks for the answer

As you highlight there is a contrast in the the sentence but is not directly mentioned.
A - For all his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.
Because/Despite/For A then B. Awkward... but still grammatically correct. We agree.

E - Even having managerial and executive abilities, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.
However/Despite/In Spite of/ Even A then B. Would not neglect the contrast but highlight it in a direct way.
http://www.wordreference.com/synonyms/even Marks it as a Synonym of Despite

In this sense, the only explanation I find, is that the idea is a paradox... So Even changes the intented meaning and so the answer is flawed.

egmat Thanks for the kind reply
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 15:36
PaterD wrote:

Dear Shraddha egmat
Thanks for the answer

As you highlight there is a contrast in the the sentence but is not directly mentioned.
A - For all his managerial and executive ability, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.
Because/Despite/For A then B. Awkward... but still grammatically correct. We agree.

E - Even having managerial and executive abilities, President Hoover was often awkward and uncomfortable in his dealings with people.
However/Despite/In Spite of/ Even A then B. Would not neglect the contrast but highlight it in a direct way.
http://www.wordreference.com/synonyms/even Marks it as a Synonym of Despite

In this sense, the only explanation I find, is that the idea is a paradox... So Even changes the intented meaning and so the answer is flawed.

egmat Thanks for the kind reply

Hello PaterD,

IMHO, the expression even though does a better job in expressing contrast than just the word even. Even though is used quite frequently to present contrast in official sentences.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2018, 09:08
I almost never see any gmat theory ever covers such grammar point.
Lesson: each official gmat question is a gmat theory.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For all his managerial and executive ability , President &nbs [#permalink] 27 Feb 2018, 09:08

For all his managerial and executive ability , President

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap