GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 15:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
P
Schools: Tuck '21, ISB '20, NTU '20
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
CAT Tests
For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 04:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:35) correct 17% (02:08) wrong based on 143 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from it. A vaccine exists that is virtually 100 percent effective in preventing this disease. Since the risk of death from complications of vaccination is one death per 5,000 vaccinations, it is therefore safer for a dog to receive the vaccine than not to receive it.

Which one of the following would it be most helpful to know in order to evaluate the argument?

(A) the total number of dogs that die each year from all causes taken together

(B) whether the vaccine is effective against the disease in household pets other than dogs

(C) the number of dogs that die each year from diseases other than the disease in question

(D) the likelihood that a dog will contract another disease such as rabies

(E) the likelihood that an unvaccinated dog will contract the disease in question

V
Re: For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 06:06
For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from it. A vaccine exists that is virtually 100 percent effective in preventing this disease. Since the risk of death from complications of vaccination is one death per 5,000 vaccinations, it is therefore safer for a dog to receive the vaccine than not to receive it.

The para states 1 out of 50 dogs that contract a certain disease will die. If the dogs are vaccinated, these1 life can be saved, but the process of vaccination can lead to 1 death in 5000 vaccination.So we are talking of TWO different groups, one talkso f all dogs and other talks of just the dogs with the disease.
There has to be something connecting these two groups.

Which one of the following would it be most helpful to know in order to evaluate the argument?

(B) whether the vaccine is effective against the disease in household pets other than dogs
(C) the number of dogs that die each year from diseases other than the disease in question
All the above choices talk of some other disease or different groups, so shifts the scope of th equestion, and, therefore, are not likely to help in evaluating the argument.

(E) the likelihood that an unvaccinated dog will contract the disease in question
Now, this choice talks of bridging the gap. Say chances of dogs contracting the disease is 1 in 1000 dogs, so there will be 1 death in 50*1000 or 50,000 dogs, while there is a chance of 1 in 5000 during vaccinations. So, it is better without vaccinations.
But say 1 out of every 10 dog is likely to contract disease, so there will be 1 death in 50*10 or 500 dogs, while there is a chance of 1 in 5000 during vaccinations. So, it is better with vaccinations.

E
S
For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 06:38

Quote:
--- Out of Scope

Quote:
-- Out of scope

Quote:
-- out of scope

Quote:
-- out of scope

Quote:
-- Correct, Just try to negate it, if say out of 100 unvaccinated dogs all of them will contract the disease then one of them will die, thus it strengthens the conclusion that we need to Vaccinate them, Now in other case if say out of 100 unvaccinated dogs 0 dog contract the disease then there is no need of Vaccination thus this weakens the conclusion

B
Re: For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 06:57
What is the problem with option D? The passage concludes that vaccination is safer but doesn't conclude anything about the reduction of death toll. So if the rabbies is the side effect then vaccination is not safer. So it is an important information required for the argument.
Please let me know what I missed to understand?

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
D
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 08:07
rashwiniyer wrote:
What is the problem with option D? The passage concludes that vaccination is safer but doesn't conclude anything about the reduction of death toll. So if the rabbies is the side effect then vaccination is not safer. So it is an important information required for the argument.
Please let me know what I missed to understand?

You are assuming that the side effects will be > the benefits ...

However take into consideration the last sentence " it is therefore safer for a dog to receive the vaccine than not to receive it. " The speaker talks about vaccination as a form of preventive measure....

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 22:33
Thanks Abhisek. I understand why option E is right. But I don't get why D is wrong. If Rabbies is the side effect of the vaccination, then it is an important information for the argument right?

Is it that option E is better than D and hence we chose E?

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2019, 14:15
rashwiniyer wrote:
Thanks Abhisek. I understand why option E is right. But I don't get why D is wrong. If Rabbies is the side effect of the vaccination, then it is an important information for the argument right?

Is it that option E is better than D and hence we chose E?

rashwiniyer, It's great that you know why Option E is correct.
Let's have a 2nd look at OptionD:

Even if the dog catches another disease such as rabies, do we know, for sure, from the argument that Rabbies is the side effect of the vaccination?

You have causated two completely different correlated events:
    Vaccination and Catching Rabies.

Moreover, we have absolutely NO idea what's the death rate of dogs affected with rabies.
Maybe, the death rate of dogs affected with rabies is insignificant enough to EVEN make a mark: let's say less than 1 in 10000.

To even consider OptionD, a batch of further assumptions needs to in the picture.
Thus, OptionD is not irrelevant but highly dicey at best.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2019, 14:15

For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics