Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 449 [4]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31870 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [3]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i [#permalink]
What is the problem with option D? The passage concludes that vaccination is safer but doesn't conclude anything about the reduction of death toll. So if the rabbies is the side effect then vaccination is not safer. So it is an important information required for the argument.
Please let me know what I missed to understand?

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i [#permalink]
rashwiniyer wrote:
What is the problem with option D? The passage concludes that vaccination is safer but doesn't conclude anything about the reduction of death toll. So if the rabbies is the side effect then vaccination is not safer. So it is an important information required for the argument.
Please let me know what I missed to understand?

You are assuming that the side effects will be > the benefits ...

However take into consideration the last sentence " it is therefore safer for a dog to receive the vaccine than not to receive it. " The speaker talks about vaccination as a form of preventive measure....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Abhisek. I understand why option E is right. But I don't get why D is wrong. If Rabbies is the side effect of the vaccination, then it is an important information for the argument right?

Is it that option E is better than D and hence we chose E?

ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
rashwiniyer wrote:
Thanks Abhisek. I understand why option E is right. But I don't get why D is wrong. If Rabbies is the side effect of the vaccination, then it is an important information for the argument right?

Is it that option E is better than D and hence we chose E?

rashwiniyer, It's great that you know why Option E is correct.
Let's have a 2nd look at OptionD:

(D) the likelihood that a dog will contract another disease such as rabies
Even if the dog catches another disease such as rabies, do we know, for sure, from the argument that Rabbies is the side effect of the vaccination?

You have causated two completely different correlated events:
    Vaccination and Catching Rabies.

Moreover, we have absolutely NO idea what's the death rate of dogs affected with rabies.
Maybe, the death rate of dogs affected with rabies is insignificant enough to EVEN make a mark: let's say less than 1 in 10000.

To even consider OptionD, a batch of further assumptions needs to in the picture.
Thus, OptionD is not irrelevant but highly dicey at best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i [#permalink]
Kudos
From manhattan prep's website:

"Here's the argument core:

Premise: 1/50 dogs who contract a disease die.
Premise: A vaccine is almost 100% effective in preventing the disease.
Premise: The risk of death from the vaccine is 1/5000.
Conclusion: It is safer for a dog to receive the vaccine than not.

It's easy to focus on the facts that we're given and not notice what we haven't been told. The first premise only tells us what happens to dogs who contract the disease. We have no idea how likely it is for a dog to contract the disease. What if any given dog has a 1/1,000,000 chance of contracting the disease? If that's true, receiving the vaccine is not safer. This is why choice (E) is correct: that information could very directly tell us whether it's safer for a dog to get the vaccine or not.

Choice (C) is tempting, but it doesn't address the difference between receiving the vaccine or not receiving it as directly as choice (E) does."
GMAT Club Bot
For every 50 dogs that contract a certain disease, one will die from i [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts