It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For over two centuries, no one had been able to make Damascus blades—b

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
S
Re: For over two centuries, no one had been able to make Damascus blades—b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2018, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I am afraid i am still confused.
Honestly speaking, i did picked up B, my reasoning is as following:

The conclusion is : trace impurities in the iron are essential for the production of Damascus blades.
My interpretation of "essential" is necessary, it is impossible to produce Damascus blades without trace impurities. in a short, no trace impurities, no production.

per answer choice B, The iron with which the contemporary sword maker made Damascus blades came from a source of iron that was unknown two centuries ago.
1) if B is true, the source was unknown two centuries ago, in other words, no source,
2) as the prompt says, no one had been able to make Damascus blades, in other words , no production.
based on 1) and 2), no source, no production.

Per answer choice D, Production of Damascus blades by sword makers of the past ceased abruptly after those sword makers' original source of iron became exhausted
it is also "no source, no production".

I know there is impossible have two answer choice on GMAT. So i picked up randomly.
I known i am wrong, but i have no idea where is incorrect
Please help clarify,
Thanks in advance

Have a nice day
>_~

Hi zoezhuyan!

Happy to help :-)

First of all, great job narrowing down the essential parts of the argument! As you said, the key here is "no trace impurities, no production". In order to have those trace impurities, we either need the same source of iron as the original, or a similar source of iron with the same impurities.

Now, choice B says that the source of iron that was used in the new blades was unknown two centuries ago, when the old blades were made. This is actually the opposite of what we want. Remember that in order to make this blade, we need the same source of iron, or a similar one. If the iron used in the new blades was unknown when the original blades were made, then it probably isn't the same source, with the same impurities. So B actually weakens the argument, not strengthens it, since it basically tells us that the iron sources made to create the blades were not the same, and therefore likely did not have the same trace impurities (or at the very least, we don't know whether or not they did).

So D is the correct answer :-)

Does that make sense? If not, let me know! :-)
-Carolyn

Magoosh Test Prep

Magoosh Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Re: For over two centuries, no one had been able to make Damascus blades—b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2018, 06:06
MagooshExpert wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja, MagooshExpert Carolyn, sayantanc2k,
I am afraid i am still confused.
Honestly speaking, i did picked up B, my reasoning is as following:

The conclusion is : trace impurities in the iron are essential for the production of Damascus blades.
My interpretation of "essential" is necessary, it is impossible to produce Damascus blades without trace impurities. in a short, no trace impurities, no production.

per answer choice B, The iron with which the contemporary sword maker made Damascus blades came from a source of iron that was unknown two centuries ago.
1) if B is true, the source was unknown two centuries ago, in other words, no source,
2) as the prompt says, no one had been able to make Damascus blades, in other words , no production.
based on 1) and 2), no source, no production.

Per answer choice D, Production of Damascus blades by sword makers of the past ceased abruptly after those sword makers' original source of iron became exhausted
it is also "no source, no production".

I know there is impossible have two answer choice on GMAT. So i picked up randomly.
I known i am wrong, but i have no idea where is incorrect
Please help clarify,
Thanks in advance

Have a nice day
>_~

Hi zoezhuyan!

Happy to help :-)

First of all, great job narrowing down the essential parts of the argument! As you said, the key here is "no trace impurities, no production". In order to have those trace impurities, we either need the same source of iron as the original, or a similar source of iron with the same impurities.

Now, choice B says that the source of iron that was used in the new blades was unknown two centuries ago, when the old blades were made. This is actually the opposite of what we want. Remember that in order to make this blade, we need the same source of iron, or a similar one. If the iron used in the new blades was unknown when the original blades were made, then it probably isn't the same source, with the same impurities. So B actually weakens the argument, not strengthens it, since it basically tells us that the iron sources made to create the blades were not the same, and therefore likely did not have the same trace impurities (or at the very least, we don't know whether or not they did).

So D is the correct answer :-)

Does that make sense? If not, let me know! :-)
-Carolyn

appreciate it. Carolyn, MagooshExpert
Re: For over two centuries, no one had been able to make Damascus blades—b   [#permalink] 14 Mar 2018, 06:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

For over two centuries, no one had been able to make Damascus blades—b

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap