GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 04:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For the coach who manages to keep them uninjured, providing them with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GPA: 3.33
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
For the coach who manages to keep them uninjured, providing them with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 10:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (01:10) correct 61% (01:31) wrong based on 514 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For the coach who manages to keep them uninjured, providing them with the best physical therapists, and training them carefully, Olympic runners are achieving upwards of 30 personal records each year.

(A) providing them with the best physical therapists, and training them carefully, Olympic runners are achieving

(B) providing them with the best physical therapists, and trained carefully, the Olympic runner achieves

(C) providing with the best physical therapists, and training them carefully, Olympic runners are achieving

(D) providing with the best physical therapists, and trained carefully, the Olympic runners achieves

(E) provided with the best physical therapists, and trained carefully, Olympic runners will achieve
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
B
Re: For the coach who manages to keep them uninjured, providing them with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2018, 15:50
Hi aaba,

Another great question! Let's tackle this one problem at a time, and see if we can find the correct answer quickly!

After running through the answers quickly, it looks like their endings are the main difference between each one. So let's figure out which ones work, and which ones don't. Consider things like subject/verb agreement, proper verb tense, and logic.

A: providing them with the best physical therapists, and training them carefully, Olympic runners are achieving

This answer is INCORRECT because it doesn't make logical sense. In the beginning, the phrase "who manages to keep" suggests that the coaches are working in the present to help the Olympic runners set records in the future. Since this phrase says they are currently setting records, this doesn't really make sense.

B: providing them with the best physical therapists, and trained carefully, the Olympic runner achieves

This answer is INCORRECT because it doesn't agree in number with the first part of the sentence. Earlier, it refers to the runners by the plural pronoun "them," but later uses the singular "the Olympic runner."

C: providing with the best physical therapists, and training them carefully, Olympic runners are achieving

This answer is INCORRECT because it doesn't make logical sense. It suggests that coaches still need to help Olympic runners, but they're already achieving their goals?

D: providing with the best physical therapists, and trained carefully, the Olympic runners achieves

This answer is INCORRECT because it doesn't have the right subject/verb agreement. It uses the plural "runners" and the singular "achieves."

E: provided with the best physical therapists, and trained carefully, Olympic runners will achieve

This answer is CORRECT because it makes sense to use the future tense (coaches help runners now, they set more records in the future), and it uses proper subject/verb agreement.

I hope this helps!

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: For the coach who manages to keep them uninjured, providing them with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 03:15
Its still not clear to me why option A is wrong.I think the participle phrases are clearly modifying coaches..
2 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 03:44
techiesam wrote:
Its still not clear to me why option A is wrong.I think the participle phrases are clearly modifying coaches..

Hey techiesam ,

This question is exactly similar to the one here.

You need to understand the sequencing of the events.

As per the meaning of the sentence, coach should first provide the training and then the Olympic runners should achieve the target. So, if you are talking about coaches providing training in present tense, the score should be achieved in the future.

This is what is wrong in option A and correct in option E.

Does that make sense?

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2018, 12:23
would be great of someone can explain the reasoning behind terming choice A as incorrect
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 06:47
Hi, whats the cue to use the future tense? Couldn't the question mean that the runners are already achieving upwards of 30 personal record every year?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 08:22
Hi Shraddha, it's actually a conditional statement in disguise:

If you work hard, you will score well.

Similarly,

If a coach <does something>, Olympic runners will <achieve something>.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Expert Post
Top Contributor
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2018, 07:37
Top Contributor
For the coach who manages to keep them uninjured, providing them with the best physical therapists, and training them carefully, Olympic runners are achieving upwards of 30 personal records each year.

(A) providing them with the best physical therapists, and training them carefully, Olympic runners are achieving

(B) providing them with the best physical therapists, and trained carefully, the Olympic runner achieves

(C) providing with the best physical therapists, and training them carefully, Olympic runners are achieving

(D) providing with the best physical therapists, and trained carefully, the Olympic runners achieves

(E) provided with the best physical therapists, and trained carefully, Olympic runners will achieve

1. I doubt whether this is an official GMAT Prep question. Somebody has plagiarized the original question cited by Abhimana. Will GMAT Prep ever give such a problem with cosmetic changes? A small query to the original poster. What is the real source of this question?

2. The basic tenet of a verb+ing modification that is separated by a comma from the previous part is to modify the subject and its action of the previous clause. If there is no previous clause as in this context, where we find only an introductory prepositional noun phrase, then the "verb+ing" will be modifying the following noun after the end of the modifier. As such, 'the modifiers 'providing' and 'training' are modifying the runners, which is diametrically opposite to what the text says. They are the people who are provided and trained.

That is the reason A, B, C, and D are instantly out. B has the additional problem of subject-pronoun error. D has parallelism problem too. In D, yet again, I wonder what the phrase "runners achieves" is doing in a GMAT Prep question.

That leaves us with E with correct modification and sub-pronoun agreement.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Re: For the coach who manages to keep them uninjured, providing them with   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2018, 07:37

For the coach who manages to keep them uninjured, providing them with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap