GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 21 Feb 2020, 10:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Foster vs McDonough for Consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Foster vs McDonough for Consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2020, 22:54
Hi Guys,
I am an Indian national (living in the US for the last 4 years) and have 7 years of work experience. I have worked in international sales for 5 years and corporate communications/strategy for the last 2 years in a small tech firm. I am now looking to pivot into consulting (any top 20 firm sponsoring visas for internationals) with a focus on international business expansion. I have been accepted into both McDonough and Foster and the more I research the more confused I become.
Suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Gatt
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Foster vs McDonough for Consulting  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2020, 09:31
Congratulations!!!

Hm... neither program is really known for consulting placements for international students. Gnpth - any input? Or Norgay?

Posted from my mobile device
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2020, 08:49
Top Contributor
Congrats on the admit. I'll be honest here regarding consulting placements for Internationals at MSB. As of last year, we had EY and Deloitte sponsoring H1B for Internationals. From 2019, only EY sponsors H1B. They do hire a lot of internationals. But all big-4 recruit heavily here. We also have few students getting into Bain and BCG, though the number is small it is increasing YoY. If your GMAT is above 710, you maintain a strong GPA, and you are good at networking you shouldn't have a problem in getting into these consulting firms.

As you mentioned, you have some Strategy experience it should give you some edge when comes to MBB recruiting provided you have the above-mentioned criteria.

As bb pointed out, I guess even Foster is in the same category. All the best. PM me if you need to discuss it.

Check Update Below- https://gmatclub.com/forum/foster-vs-mcdonough-for-consulting-313566.html#p2437177

MBA, Class of 2020,
McDonough School of Business
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 16:59
Either school is fine and students in both interview for consulting firms as long as you have done your networking and facetime with the companies. Foster might have an edge with tech recruiting (if that is your plan B, and BTW plan Bs are super important to have).

Have you tried negotiating with either school for some scholarship?
Schools: Foster '21 (M)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2020, 17:05
Congratulations on the admit.
For Foster, consulting recruitment for Internationals has not been great. MBBs hire 1 or 2 students each year, who usually are domestic. They interview about 10 students, both domestic and international. But they usually end up hiring Internationals. Deloitte is not sponsoring VISAs for internationals this year, and they keep changing their criteria so you never know. You probably will have a better shot at EY and Accenture, but I would say that Foster is not the best school to come to if consulting is your top choice. It will be hard, you might get through, but if you don't you will have to work on a backup plan and be satisfied with it. I cannot think of any immediate international senior getting hired by MBB from Foster, all of them have been domestic students. Although there are international alumni from India that were hired very recently from Foster in companies such as Deloitte, EnY, and PWC, but then again the number is very very low. As per what Gnpth shared above, I would suggest going to Mcdonough if you are decided on recruiting for consulting.
Current Student
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2020, 12:33
Top Contributor
An Update: I just got back to MSB Campus last week after 3 months abroad. I got the following information regarding Consulting at MSB.

We currently have Bain and BCG on Campus. They used to recruit few students until last year but I heard they both are now officially on Campus for the recruitment. We also have AlixPartners. So currently 4 Consulting firms(EY, Bain, BCG, and AlixPartners) sponsoring for internationals.

Even Tech is currently on the rise here for the past two years- We have huge % of students going to Amazon, Google, and Microsoft.

MBA, Class of 2020,
McDonough School of Business
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Foster vs McDonough for Consulting   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2020, 12:33

Foster vs McDonough for Consulting

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste