GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

QOTD: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
QOTD: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 09:01
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:02) correct 52% (01:57) wrong based on 452 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 254: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough

(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements

(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently

(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently

(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 09:05
This one is one of my all-time favorites, partly because sloths are kind of awesome. Plus, it’s a good illustration of something we discussed in this YouTube video (which, sadly, does not contain any sloths): if you don’t notice the tasty stuff in the non-underlined portions of the sentence, you might waste a ton of time on this question.

With that in mind...

Quote:
(A) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough

This sounds great. But it’s wrong.

Hopefully, you noticed the word “its” at the end of the sentence. That means that “sloth” needs to be singular. So (A) is spectacularly wrong because of the non-underlined pronouns buried at the end of the sentence.

Quote:
(B) sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements

(B) has exactly the same error as (A): “its toes” and “its coat” need to refer to a singular sloth, and (B) only gives us the plural “sloths.”

The parallelism is also pretty wackball in (B). (And no, “wackball” isn’t a word. But it should be.) We have: “…sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements…” So we have a verb (“hang”), a noun with a verb (“they sleep"), and a weird prepositional phrase (“with such infrequent movements…”). That’s very much not parallel.

So (B) is out.

Quote:
(C) sloths use their long rubbery limbs to hang from trees, sleep fifteen hours a day, and move so infrequently

The parallelism is defensible in (C). Sloths use their limbs to do three things: “hang from trees”, “sleep 15 hours a day” (I'm totally jealous!!), and “move so infrequently…”. Not bad.

Trouble is, “its coat” and “its toes” still require a singular referent, and “sloths” is plural in (C). So (C) can be eliminated.

Let’s compare our last two options side-by-side:
Quote:
(D) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently
(E) the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs, sleeps fifteen hours a day, and it moves infrequently enough

“Sloth” is singular in both, so the pronouns are cool now. That’s nice.

So then the only real difference is the parallelism. In (E), we have “the sloth hangs from trees…, sleeps 15 hours a day, and it moves…” Nope, that’s wrong: we have a verb, a verb, and then a noun and a verb. That’s not parallel.

But what about (D)? People like to tell me that it’s not parallel, either. But (D) is structured differently than (E): it’s a nice clause (“the sloth hangs from trees…”), followed by two parallel “-ing” modifiers (“sleeping” and “moving”). That’s great: “sleeping 15 hours a day” and “moving infrequently” both make perfect sense as modifiers for “the sloth hangs from trees”, since both of those “-ing” words tell us more about what happens when the sloth hangs from trees.

So (D) might not SOUND parallel, but it is. And it’s the best answer.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: QOTD: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 09:33
I think its D

A,B,C dont agree in "ïts" with Solths
between D & E, E has unnecessary "and ït moves....."
D correct , also sleeping || moving

If this post helped you learn something pls give kudos

Intern
Intern
S
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 10:01
Found throughout Central and South America, sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs and sleep fifteen hours a day, moving infrequently enough that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes.

sloths is not agreeing in number with its

sleeping fifteen hours a day and moving so infrequently maintains parallelism with Found throughout Central and South America

it moves infrequently enough is not parallel to the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs
Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 06:44
GMATNinja , I get why E is wrong. Now suppose we modify E to remove "it" after ",and". Which among D and E would be better ? Pl excuse me for this hypothetical question , but I often analyze different cases when I study. It helps me gain clarity !

Thanks in advance :)

" The few , the fearless "

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 08:21
spetznaz wrote:
GMATNinja , I get why E is wrong. Now suppose we modify E to remove "it" after ",and". Which among D and E would be better ? Pl excuse me for this hypothetical question , but I often analyze different cases when I study. It helps me gain clarity !

"comma and" would make the sentence look like a list of 3 items { "the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs", "sleeps fifteen hours a day", and "moves infrequently enough"} and these 3 items in sync causes "that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes". However per the intended meaning of sentence it is "infrequent movement" that cause "algae to grow"

Just tried answering it(I know it is asked from GMATNinja)

All egmat SC Resource for FREE

Like = +Kudos

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 09:33
Mark two splits: sloths vs. the sloth (plural/singular) and ,moving vs. and move/moving (parallelism/modifier)

We can tell that towards the sentence, "its" marks that the subject is a singular noun

Also notice the "so ... that" construction
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.17

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2018, 21:28
GMATNinja wrote:
This one is one of my all-time favorites, partly because sloths are kind of awesome. Plus, it’s a good illustration of something we discussed in this YouTube video (which, sadly, does not contain any sloths): if you don’t notice the tasty stuff in the non-underlined portions of the sentence, you might waste a ton of time on this question.

With that in mind...

Quote:

This sounds great. But it’s wrong.

Hopefully, you noticed the word “its” at the end of the sentence. That means that “sloth” needs to be singular. So (A) is spectacularly wrong because of the non-underlined pronouns buried at the end of the sentence.

Quote:

(B) has exactly the same error as (A): “its toes” and “its coat” need to refer to a singular sloth, and (B) only gives us the plural “sloths.”

The parallelism is also pretty wackball in (B). (And no, “wackball” isn’t a word. But it should be.) We have: “…sloths hang from trees by long rubbery limbs, they sleep fifteen hours a day, and with such infrequent movements…” So we have a verb (“hang”), a noun with a verb (“they sleep"), and a weird prepositional phrase (“with such infrequent movements…”). That’s very much not parallel.

So (B) is out.

Quote:

The parallelism is defensible in (C). Sloths use their limbs to do three things: “hang from trees”, “sleep 15 hours a day” (I'm totally jealous!!), and “move so infrequently…”. Not bad.

Trouble is, “its coat” and “its toes” still require a singular referent, and “sloths” is plural in (C). So (C) can be eliminated.

Let’s compare our last two options side-by-side:
Quote:

“Sloth” is singular in both, so the pronouns are cool now. That’s nice.

So then the only real difference is the parallelism. In (E), we have “the sloth hangs from trees…, sleeps 15 hours a day, and it moves…” Nope, that’s wrong: we have a verb, a verb, and then a noun and a verb. That’s not parallel.

But what about (D)? People like to tell me that it’s not parallel, either. But (D) is structured differently than (E): it’s a nice clause (“the sloth hangs from trees…”), followed by two parallel “-ing” modifiers (“sleeping” and “moving”). That’s great: “sleeping 15 hours a day” and “moving infrequently” both make perfect sense as modifiers for “the sloth hangs from trees”, since both of those “-ing” words tell us more about what happens when the sloth hangs from trees.

So (D) might not SOUND parallel, but it is. And it’s the best answer.

I am a bit curious about the "it's" used in D & E. Doesn't it sound ambiguous as it could refer to either the sloth or the trees and on that fact alone the two options in question can be negated?
Director
Director
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 05:24
aggvipul wrote:
spetznaz wrote:

"comma and" would make the sentence look like a list of 3 items { "the sloth hangs from trees by its long rubbery limbs", "sleeps fifteen hours a day", and "moves infrequently enough"} and these 3 items in sync causes "that two species of algae grow on its coat and between its toes". However per the intended meaning of sentence it is "infrequent movement" that cause "algae to grow"

Thanks for the response. Does the "that" part qualify the list or just the last element of the list ?

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Operations (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 08:57
spetznaz wrote:
aggvipul wrote:
spetznaz wrote:

Thanks for the response. Does the "that" part qualify the list or just the last element of the list ?

Supposedly you are asking 1. whether "that" is included in the list? 2. does "that" marks the end of the following list? (Pls let me know if I have accounted correctly)

To: 1. No, here particularly "that" is not part of the list
2. Here, "that" shows the beginning of a dependent clause and is providing additional information about the list of the independent clause

Hope this helps, if yes, let me know it by kudos :-)

All egmat SC Resource for FREE

Like = +Kudos

Director
Director
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 09:56
aggvipul

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I meant the first. That is - sloth hangs , sleeps , and moves infrequently enough that < ..... > In such a case that qualifies moves infrequently ...

Pl correct me if I am missing out on something ...

BTW gave you a kudos ;)

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2018, 10:23
abhigulia3006 wrote:
I am a bit curious about the "it's" used in D & E. Doesn't it sound ambiguous as it could refer to either the sloth or the trees and on that fact alone the two options in question can be negated?

Hi abhigulia3006, its can only refer to something singular and so, trees cannot be an antecedent of its.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: QOTD: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths &nbs [#permalink] 31 Mar 2018, 10:23

QOTD: Found throughout Central and South America, sloths

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap