Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 662 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Re: frustrated beyond belief!!!!! [#permalink]
chamisool wrote:
gmatpunjabi wrote:
What matieral are using to learn the concepts? What approach do you use when you study?

I'm using the 8 MGMAT study books, OG12, and OG Verbal/Quant Review.

The approach is doing a set # of questions in a row timed, then going over each one regardless if I got it right or wrong. Then I start using the error logs to find my weakness and go over the questions again a few days later for additional review. If I don't understand something, I use the forums to find my answers and correlate it with MGMAT.

I looked over my GMATPrep and did the quant section again w/o looking at the answers until the very end. Got 34/37 correct, but then again, since I originally got such a low score, the problems I solved were in the 300-500 level range. Looking over verbal now.

Think about WHY you're getting questions wrong. Is it time? Is it careless mistakes? Is it not knowing the underlying concepts?

"Mental fatigue" could play a role in all this, too. You might need to take a little break, let loose and let everything sink in.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The screen size/resolution of GMAT Prep is the same as you will see at the test center - it is software from 2005 :)

As to your journey and frustration. This can be an indication of fatigue, stretching our your prep too long (studying for a year does not mean 4x result if you study for 3 months). Most of the time (95%+ people will get a higher score studying for 3 months than for a year).

That is worrisome if your score jumps so much.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Why? I usually tell myself it's because I'm dumb. I do see some careless mistakes so I learned to go a little slower. For the concepts, I would say I understand majority of them. When it comes to DS, I am prone to more mistakes, especially questions related to profit/percentage increase/decrease.

I told myself to take 2 weeks off after Monday and start fresh from the beginning. I agree with mental fatigue. I am fortunate to have an easy work schedule from 7-3:30, so I always head over to my local library to study from 5-8. I will tell remind myself to take a day off each week and sleep in on a weekend.

Anyway, I will try posting a screen shot of how the questions are displayed on my monitor. It's really distracting when I answer the questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 662 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
Maybe your rushing through the topics. I would suggest take your time with each topic and understand it. Dont call yourself dumb when you make a mistake. Rather view as a gift to learn from your mistakes. Lastly, DONT BE HARD ON YOURSELF FOR GETTING PROBLEMS WRONG. Its all part of the learning experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
chamisool wrote:
Why? I usually tell myself it's because I'm dumb. I do see some careless mistakes so I learned to go a little slower. For the concepts, I would say I understand majority of them. When it comes to DS, I am prone to more mistakes, especially questions related to profit/percentage increase/decrease.

I told myself to take 2 weeks off after Monday and start fresh from the beginning. I agree with mental fatigue. I am fortunate to have an easy work schedule from 7-3:30, so I always head over to my local library to study from 5-8. I will tell remind myself to take a day off each week and sleep in on a weekend.

Anyway, I will try posting a screen shot of how the questions are displayed on my monitor. It's really distracting when I answer the questions.

It's definitely not a result of being "dumb". You just need to approach your studying the same way you should be approaching these problems - very systematically.

Enjoy the break and when you get back into the swing of things, try to break up your studying a little bit. 50 minutes, take a 10 min break, another 50 min, take a 30min break. Treat it as though you're working out - your mind gets tired, even if you don't realize it.

Try to figure out a clearer idea of what leads to you getting a problem correct/incorrect. Then think of a way/system for how you can replicate your successes, and avoid your pitfalls. And learn to be comfortable with the fact that you won't get every question correct. When I took my GMAT, I had no problem skipping a problem I didn't know/knew would take me a long time.

Don't be too hard on yourself, just make sure you're playing to your strengths and mitigating your weaknesses.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I took the exam yesterday and scored a 490 Q37 V21. The score aligned closely with the GMatprep I took a few days before the exam but the MGMAT scoring is really different. I found the quant portion to be pretty difficult on the real exam. I ran into a few problems where I thought, “What in the world is this?” From what I remember, I had a few coordinate geometry questions, a probability question, several work/rate questions, and two combinatorics/factorial questions. I ran out of time on the last question and couldn’t click on confirm but I read that as long as a choice is selected, the question is counted as being answered.

I thought the verbal was a bit easier but after seeing a V21, geebus! I was way off. I thought I would score better on V than Q. Anyway, I’m not sure where to start now, but I am thinking of starting from the very beginning with the basics again. I scored pretty well on all the chapter review questions on the MGMAT and I do understand the fundamentals but I happen to freeze when it’s tested for some reason.

Overall, I think I pinpointed my weakness to CR and DS. I’m really not fond of DS, regardless of what it’s asking. For CR, I’m usually 50/50 between the right and wrong answer choices.

I will start studying again on Feb 1st and will make some necessary changes. I will take Sundays off, and study in chunked sessions. Studying 3 hours in a row didn’t help me other than build up my study endurance without feeling fatigued. I will also start reading online articles to help prepare for RC. Lastly, I will try posting more frequently on the forums and explain answers rather than reply “straight A” or “+1 on D” that I often see, haha.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Chamisool,
Those are some valid strategies. Keep in mind that you should also focus on speed and efficiency as you answer the questions. If you have a methodical approach, there's less chance your mind is lost during the real test due to panic. THis may explain some of your test freeze. Remember, the test is not ONLY about fundamentals - it's about actual performance on the day of the test. Knowing the fundamentals is not enough to excel on this exam. Internalizing your attack strategies is going to be important.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GMAT Date: 04-02-2012
GPA: 3.79
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I think its because your miserable and psychologically positive about the test so you tend to underperform. Its like a negative confirming bias. Take a weekend off, get back to the easy fundamentals and build up your confidence. Its just like a good basketball player, he knows hes good, but gets in a funk. Sometimes you need to relax, take time off, and get back on the court with a better attitude.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I cant tell you how symmetrical our stories are. Everything you wrote is just me. I gave the exam yesterday and got a 490 and this was after 5 months of preparation. I am so devasted and burned. I was getting a score of 630~650 in MGMAT's and GMATprep. But, 490?? This was far below the numbers, when I first started preparing for the exam. I did a lot of goof-ups in my strategy. Like, i gave all practice tests one week before the exam. I was giving tests and analyzing them, working on my concepts and all this at the same time.
A day before the exam, I wanted to relax, but i could not and i was so exhausted on the day of exam, that i felt like giving up. I had not creativity and mind balance. It took me 5 minutes just to read the AWA section. The first question for Quant on the screen left me dazed as if it was a rocket question.After spending 4 minutes, I answered it wrong. It was just not my day.
Boy, I cant tell you, the most important things in GMAT are stretegy and discipline. I intend to redo the thing, but after break and this time, i am going to take it easy, but with a strategy and discipline.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Avijit wrote:
I cant tell you how symmetrical our stories are. Everything you wrote is just me. I gave the exam yesterday and got a 490 and this was after 5 months of preparation. I am so devasted and burned. I was getting a score of 630~650 in MGMAT's and GMATprep. But, 490?? This was far below the numbers, when I first started preparing for the exam. I did a lot of goof-ups in my strategy. Like, i gave all practice tests one week before the exam. I was giving tests and analyzing them, working on my concepts and all this at the same time.
A day before the exam, I wanted to relax, but i could not and i was so exhausted on the day of exam, that i felt like giving up. I had not creativity and mind balance. It took me 5 minutes just to read the AWA section. The first question for Quant on the screen left me dazed as if it was a rocket question.After spending 4 minutes, I answered it wrong. It was just not my day.
Boy, I cant tell you, the most important things in GMAT are stretegy and discipline. I intend to redo the thing, but after break and this time, i am going to take it easy, but with a strategy and discipline.

Haha, I feel you. I actually just took my second test today and improved but it's not enough to get into the programs I want. I'm happy overall with my improvement, but I know I can improve even more.
GMAT Club Bot