Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I say Chicago, due to the prestige & flexibility of the program.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, I wish I was bothered by such problems. I would say go with Darden, they are very strong for consulting and not having to worry about $ is a huge plus. At any of those schools you will be able to land the job you want, so my opinion is Darden.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is a bit different though - what does the prestige matter so much when you are planning on running a family business.

Looking for (probably) small class size, very progressive ideas; you must have a clear idea what courses you want to cover, so look into which school has what and whether it is best suited.

It is a difficult angle to come from, and one so different from my own I think it is difficult to advise. From any of those schools you should be able to get into a consultants, from Chicago obviously the field widens somewhat.

Depends which of your goals has more drive from the MBA really. It is a question I don't think anyone can answer, but maybe give ideas what to look into more.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
Wow, I wish I was bothered by such problems. I would say go with Darden, they are very strong for consulting and not having to worry about $ is a huge plus. At any of those schools you will be able to land the job you want, so my opinion is Darden.

I agree with this. If you're plan is to work for 2 years then return to your family business in a country where (as you say) prestige of these schools is unknown, you should probably go with the money. Darden and Michigan are both well respected with consulting companies and as a merit scholarship holder you will be an attractive candidate.

In fact, I have wondered which is better a generic resume from an ultra-elite or a resume from a merit scholarship holder at an elite. But given your situation, and especially given the substantial sum of money that Darden (and Michigan) have awarded, I'd advise going with one of these. Like you, I also like the college town atmosphere.

I was actually waiting for my notification letter as well. Can you tell me how you were notified of your Darden scholarship? Phone call, email, letter? Thanks.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A couple thoughts:

You did not mention the alumni network as a factor in your the decision, but its pretty important. You should see how many European alumni each school has. I suspect that GSB and Ross will be decent, but that Darden will be poor in this area.

For M/B/B GSB will give you the best shot. Ross will be petty good and Darden will be more of a long-shot. About 30% of Ross students who go into MC get into the big 3. For GSB the figure is 40%. Not sure about Darden. But as you say, your chances may improve if you try to work for these firms in Europe.

What gets lost in all the prestige and brand discussion is the fact that high performers will do well with a degree from any top school. If you have a choice between two top 10 schools and you're really not happy with the culture or location of one of them, then don't make yourself miserable by going to a school simply for its prestige. Personally, I think you should go with Ross.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree with squali. I think it would be silly to pass up a free ride at Darden to go to Chicago. And not just for fiancial reasons (though that is the main thing). Consider this:
the fact that you received a full tuition scholarship is in itself an INCREADIBLY strong market signal to your future employer. Companies recruit at top programs because the schools have already pre-screened the candidates for them. In your case, not only has a top school accepted you, but also it has set you appart from 99% of other students who did not get a free ride. IMHO, I imagine that the scholarship would make any recruiter slightly biased in your favor over an equal candidate but without a scholarship at Chicago.

Congratulations on your outstanding achievements and good luck with your decision! as someone said, it sure is a good problem to have. :-D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Certainly an enviable position. I would go with Darden b/c graduating at 26/27 with no debt and a 100k (probably more in 2 years) salary is a thing of beauty. Also, don't get too enamored with Chicago. It's a terrific school, but it's prestige has fluctuated in the past. Ross would be a good middle ground, but Darden is very good for consulting.

I think it's a winning combo.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I concur with taking the money and going to Darden.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys...thanks a lot for all your replies...I learned something from reading each one, but I am not closer to my decision

I will call up Ross and Chicago tomorrow and explain the situation, and see where it takes me

I love all 3 of those schools, for different reasons, so its a win-win situation

Pelihu: they called me up about the scholarship today

One of the directors of the Batten Institute at Darden (Enterprenuership) called me up to tell me I received the Batten Fellowship

He said he has been calling people since this morning, but had 7 or so calls to make, so it took him awhile

however, if i understand corectly they have given up more full rides and scholarships, because every department kind a has a pool it can award

so i would call them up and check it out

best
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
lxa wrote:
Guys...thanks a lot for all your replies...I learned something from reading each one, but I am not closer to my decision

I will call up Ross and Chicago tomorrow and explain the situation, and see where it takes me

I love all 3 of those schools, for different reasons, so its a win-win situation

Pelihu: they called me up about the scholarship today

One of the directors of the Batten Institute at Darden (Enterprenuership) called me up to tell me I received the Batten Fellowship

He said he has been calling people since this morning, but had 7 or so calls to make, so it took him awhile

however, if i understand corectly they have given up more full rides and scholarships, because every department kind a has a pool it can award

so i would call them up and check it out

best

LXA, thanks for the info. Actually, I didn't need to call them up, I needed to turn the ringer on for my phone! I have a message from Mr. P. S. (I don't know if I should give out his name on a public forum) of the Batten Institute asking me to give him a call. I just called but got his voicemail - didn't want to leave a message so I'll try him again in a bit. I'm hopeful of getting the same treatment as you. . . please please please.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I respectfully abstain from voting....

Well no seriously, I would agree that a full ride at Darden is hard to pass up, very veyr hard to pass up. Personally, I would use that as leverage against Chicago, get them to throw me some cash and then go to Chicago if they threw me at least $20K a year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
well pelihu...seems like we both got royal treatment from darden

are you coming for the admit week then?

so given that you got a full ride at darden, what are you plans now?
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!

I got it, I got it! Like lxa, I've been offered the Batten Institute scholarship at Darden:

"Batten Entrepreneurial Scholarships -3–full-tuition–scholarships are available to candidates who demonstrate experience in past entrepreneurial ventures, an entrepreneurial spirit, strong leadership skills, and a drive for innovation. Selected by faculty within the Batten Institute.

The institute also runs the business concept competition, business plan competition, their own VC internship, a national VC compatition and the Darden incubator. As some of you know, Darden was already in the lead for me personally, and this really seals the deal.

I think I'm going to draft a ding letter to Stanford. Of course, since they haven't invited me to interview, it surely means that they have dinged me already, but I'm going to beat them to the punch and send a letter first. Why does that make me feel so giddy?

Originally posted by pelihu on 29 Mar 2007, 14:18.
Last edited by pelihu on 29 Mar 2007, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, congrats, that's amazing!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thats awesome! Congrats.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
lxa wrote:
well pelihu...seems like we both got royal treatment from darden

are you coming for the admit week then?

so given that you got a full ride at darden, what are you plans now?

Was in the middle of posting my last message when yours was posted. Originally, I wasn't planning to go to the admit weekend because I was just there 2 weeks ago - I'm thinking it over now.

I believe I'm going to Darden. Unlike you, I don't have an admit at Chicago, and only a WL at Columbia. Darden was already in the lead, and with the full scholarship it's a pretty easy choice for me. I'm torn over whether to wait for Berkeley - but I can't imagine being lucky enough to get a similar scholarship there.

I really like the idea of being able to put on my resume "full tuition merit scholarship from the Batten Institute for Entrepreneurship" when I start my job hunt. I think that might be very attractive to PE/VC firms interested in investing in China (my area of experience), and Ibanks interested in starting/expanding their businesses there as well.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Excellent pelihu ! :D :D :)

Congratulations ! :D :).... Very glad for u ! :D :)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3