GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     November 20, 2018

     November 20, 2018

     06:00 PM EST

     07:00 PM EST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1145
Location: Taiwan
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2005, 04:47
11
84
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (00:47) correct 31% (00:44) wrong based on 1758 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

(A) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

(B) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,

(C) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

(D) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,

(E) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he
Most Helpful Expert Reply
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
G
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2743
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2012, 14:57
27
8
Hi all.

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

Since it is not difficult to understand the meaning of this sentence, let’s quickly get into the error analysis:

1. Use of past perfect tense is correct because 1609, the telescope had been already made and after that Galileo made his own version of the instrument. So there are two past events and “had been” correctly denotes that telescope was first made and then Galileo came up with his own version.
2. “but” correctly presents the contrast.
3. No errors.

PoE:

a) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he: Correct for reasons stated above.

b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made, Incorrect.
1. Use of “had not invented” is incorrect because the sentence here just presents a general fact that should be written in simple past tense.
2. Use of “having been made” is also incorrect in this choice.
3. This choice also misses the subject “he” for the verb “built”.

c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he: Incorrect.
1. Same verb tense error as in Choice B.
2. Use of pronoun “he” after “even though” is incorrect because Galileo has already been mentioned in the beginning of the sentence. This construction makes Galileo hanging without a verb.
3. Use of “even though” is incorrect. This expression is used to present contrast in that it denotes two opposite situations. For example:
Even though he is poor, he has managed to go to a good B school.
However, this choice does not present opposite situations. It simply says that Galileo did not invent telescope but he later developed one. There is co opposite things going on in here.

d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,: Incorrect.
1. Use of “even though” is incorrect as in Choice C.
2. Absence of “he” before “built” leaves this verb without any subject.

e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he: Incorrect.
1. Use of “even though” is incorrect.
2. Use of “but” is redundant because “even though” already presents the contrast.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
_________________












| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Most Helpful Community Reply
Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
User avatar
B
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 311
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 14:36
18
4
Hey guys,

I've always liked this question. My approach:

First, whenever I see a question with a large portion underlined and without a clear (to me) decision point in that underline, I like to look at the first and last word of the answer choices to see if I can find a quick decision point. Very frequently the first or last words are different and you can determine whether you need one or the other.

Here, three use the last word "he" and two do not, so that became a first decision point for me. You'd need "he" in this case to refer back to Galileo unless the verb that follows "quickly built" is set up as a parallel verb to another past tense event before it. Because that doesn't happen in B or D, they're both incorrect.

The first words, either "Galileo" or "Even though Galileo", also note a decision to be made - here, you have to set up a transition between "did not invent the telescope" and "built one quickly after it was invented (paraphrase)". That can be done either with "Even though" at the beginning or "but" halfway through, but not with both. Therefore, E, which does both, is incorrect.

Keeping on that theme, check C for that transition - C uses "even though", but does so as a modifier to describe Galileo. Because modifiers separated by commas are nonessential information, you can remove them to check the rest of the sentence. Here, you'd then have:

Galileo he quickly built...

That's a redundant, unnecessary use of a pronoun and it's used without separation, so it's incorrect. A, although incredibly awkward to the ear, is the only one left standing without error, and is therefore correct.
_________________

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Veritas Prep Reviews

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 67
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2005, 15:54
2
2
The answer is A .
But for the qn what is wrong with two hads..
The invention is a one time activity and so past perfect tense shouldn't be used.
It should be ..he didn't invent..but not he had not invented(Its not continuing).
We are talking abt an instance of an event(invention), which didn't take place.

Thanks,
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 2128
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2005, 20:47
But if it happened even before something else in the past (hearing the news in this case), shouldn't past perfect be used? For example, "I had thought that he was wrong before he explained." Would it be wrong to say "He had already invented it when other people started to think about it"? If no, why would it be wrong to say "He had not invented when other people started to think about it"? Is it because it in fact did not happen, rather than "happened before something else in the past"?
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 14 Sep 2005
Posts: 945
Location: South Korea
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2005, 01:18
7
1
2
B. no reason to use past perfect tense.
C. redundant subject - Galileo and he
D. subject not present
E. 1609 is wrong. we need a preposition.
_________________

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2005
Posts: 1789
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2005, 02:38
7
5
nakib77 wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

A. Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

B. Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,

C. Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

D. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,

E. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he


E: "even though" together with " but" is redundant--> out
D: "even though" forms two related clauses, we can't find the subject for th 2nd clause in D--> out.
B: yup, the use of past perfect is unsuitable here-->out
C: every part is disorderly displaced---> out.
A it is.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2378
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2008, 19:57
6
1
GMAT TIGER wrote:
neelesh wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

(A) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
(B) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made, he
(C) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
(D) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
(E) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he


A. sequence of tense.


Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

1. "Galileo did not invent the telescope" is an independent clause.
2. "but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made" is a dependent clause.
3. "he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses" is an independent clause.

Sequense of events: "such an optical instrument had been made" occured before "Galileo did not invent the telescope" and "he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses". so

1. "Galileo did not invent the telescope" is in past perfect tense.
2. "but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made" is in simple past tense.
3. "he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses" is in simple past tense.

so choices other than A violets these rules and are incorrect....
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 507
Schools: Wharton
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 14:36
1
1
abhijit_sen wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

A. Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
B. Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
C. Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
D. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
E. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he


I would go with A.

A: Correct
B: wrong use of verb tenses -- had not invented implies that he will invent the telescope in the future
C: Galileo, on hearing that such an optical instrument had been made, he -- totally wrong
D: missing "he" at the end
E: "even though" and "but" are redundant
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1682
Location: New York
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 20:13
1
abhijit_sen wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

A. Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
B. Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
C. Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
D. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
E. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he


B, D -- are out.. "he" is missing before "quicklly"
C -- Galileo,...,he .. he is redundant
E. eventhough .. but --> redundant and "being made" --> wrong

A -- looks better.

Galileo didn't invednted (pastense),... optical instrument had been made.(past perfect -- passive voice.)

pefect..
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1225
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 20:31
abhijit_sen wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

A. Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
B. Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
C. Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
D. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
E. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he


To be frank i found it tough :(

Did not invent should be correct since invention is one time event
had not invnted deviates us thinkin he had not invented but can invent later .So eliminate B,C
NOw remains A,D,E :
E is eliminated since even though... but usage is not suggested
D is eliminated since HE is missing here statement apopears incomplete
A is perfect => IMO A
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Posts: 200
Location: India
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2009, 06:59
Attachment:
SC.jpg
SC.jpg [ 33.42 KiB | Viewed 23868 times ]
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2007
Posts: 209
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2009, 09:22
Use if "but"in E, when "Even though" is already there is not required.
In C, Wrong use of pronoun in the modifier.
Verb tense error in B
D has missiong pronoun.
So IMO A
_________________

Choose Life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 262
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 16:20
1
Lets use POE

You need had been -because instrument was built first and then Galileo heard
so, B and E - gone

OK , A,C and D

D - I like D if there was a ' he ' in the end , without that this sentence goes for a toss

C is no good as well , if you remove all non-required clauses - you are left with Galileo and he . Also , this sentence uses two had been - not a good way to describe sequence of events - gone

A is the answer
_________________

Always tag your question

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 772
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2010, 06:35
noboru,

I think if there is some contrast in the sentence and conjuction is present then we need a subject. For example,
Although X...., subject
x........, but (pronoun-x)/y.........
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2010
Posts: 190
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2010, 15:20
3
1
A.

I had a slightly different approach.

Besides C, D and E having all sorts of errors, I would eliminate C, D and E because even though would change the context slightly.
The original sentence emphasizes the fact that he wasn't the first person to invent the telescope. Inserting even though instead of but, the passage seems to emphasize the fact he did made the telescope and sounds more forgiving about the fact he wasn't the first.

Having been made on B is obviously wrong. so I went with A.

Does my reasoning make sense or valid? let me know.
_________________

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: what we want to do, do it as soon as possible
Joined: 24 May 2010
Posts: 83
Location: Vietnam
WE 1: 5.0
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2011, 00:29
1
noboru wrote:
Hi,
But in D, there is actually a || between did not invent and built, so I dont follow you when you say that "he" is needed there.
Could you clarify?
Thanks!


hi noboru,
Let me try to work out your concern about (D).
First Look at "even though blah blah blah"
1. When we have a sentence beginning with "even though,...",the clause following "even though" is subordinate clause and we need the main clause which have S + V --> that why we need "he" working as a S here
2. "even though" is different in meaning with "but. "Even though" shows something paradox so it is not appropriate when applying in the meaning of this sc.
Hope it helps. Please correct me if i'm wrong
_________________

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2010
Posts: 222
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2011, 06:01
daryayurlova wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.
(a)
(b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
(c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
(d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
(e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, o such an optical instrument being made, he


Here your ability to notice redundancy is being tested.
In E the idea of contrast is already expressed in but or even though so you don't need both to express that idea. E is out.
In D we want to express that there is a contrast but the way eventhough is used here kind of alters the meaning of the sentence. Even though also means in spite of the fact that, and that is not the idea that we want to express (according to the original sentence).
D is out.
In C, for the same reason as D you can eliminate C.
In B, the verb tenses used are not correct. "Galileo had not invented the telescope" the words in red should have been written in the simple past tense because what Galileo did was in fact in the past. "of such an optical instrument having been made" the words in blue should have been in the past perfect tense b/c that occurrence happened before an occurrence (Galileo did not invent the telescope) that took place in the past.

A is correct. On hearing is like saying upon hearing or right after he heard. That is the correct idiom.
_________________

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!


"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Feb 2011
Posts: 232
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2011, 21:34
The question statement, regardless of being correct or not, implies that Galileo did NOT invent the telescope. This implies that when Galileo made his own device, there was in existence some version of a telescope already.
On this logic we can straight eliminate b and d even without looking at their other grammatical errors- they talk of telescope having been made/ being made- that is the other version of telescope is still in process of making. But that leaves a chance that Galileo did invent the telescope- which is in contradiction to the question statement.
c. wrong placement of 'on hearing', sentence is not structured correctly- skeleton says - Galileo, on hearing, he quickly built..incorrect
d. even though brings in cause effect connotation - makes it sound like galileo built his device, DESPITE not inventing telescope- As if inventig telescope is a cause and building device an effect- not logically correct. Incorrect option
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1151
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 22:45
1
1
nikhilsrl wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

a) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he

OA is provided

Why not D?

The modifiers CANNOT modify across "and", "but" etc.
The modifier in the status quo is "but on hearing". So it will modify the clause that comes just after this modifier WHEREAS without "but" in modifier, it seems that "on hearing" can modify either side of it, creating ambiguity.
B implies that Galileo WAS the inventer because the other device was being made; lacks the subject; is a run on.
C and D have modifier ambiguity.; D lacks the subject.
E changes the meaning by implying that the other device was still being made WHEREAS the original intent says that the other device had already been made.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su &nbs [#permalink] 18 Dec 2012, 22:45

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.