It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 16:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 856 [5], given: 0

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2005, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (00:36) correct 32% (00:48) wrong based on 862 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

(A) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

(B) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,

(C) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

(D) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,

(E) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 856 [5], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2005, 16:54
This post received
KUDOS
The answer is A .
But for the qn what is wrong with two hads..
The invention is a one time activity and so past perfect tense shouldn't be used.
It should be ..he didn't invent..but not he had not invented(Its not continuing).
We are talking abt an instance of an event(invention), which didn't take place.

Thanks,

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 0

Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2005, 21:47
But if it happened even before something else in the past (hearing the news in this case), shouldn't past perfect be used? For example, "I had thought that he was wrong before he explained." Would it be wrong to say "He had already invented it when other people started to think about it"? If no, why would it be wrong to say "He had not invented when other people started to think about it"? Is it because it in fact did not happen, rather than "happened before something else in the past"?

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 0

4 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 226 [4], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2005, 02:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
B. no reason to use past perfect tense.
C. redundant subject - Galileo and he
D. subject not present
E. 1609 is wrong. we need a preposition.

Auge um Auge, Zahn um Zahn :twisted: !

Kudos [?]: 226 [4], given: 0

6 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 394 [6], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2005, 03:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nakib77 wrote:
Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses.

A. Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

B. Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,

C. Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he

D. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,

E. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he

E: "even though" together with " but" is redundant--> out
D: "even though" forms two related clauses, we can't find the subject for th 2nd clause in D--> out.
B: yup, the use of past perfect is unsuitable here-->out
C: every part is disorderly displaced---> out.
A it is.

Kudos [?]: 394 [6], given: 0

4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 867 [4], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2008, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT TIGER wrote:
neelesh wrote:

(A) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
(B) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made, he
(C) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
(D) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
(E) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he

A. sequence of tense.

1. "Galileo did not invent the telescope" is an independent clause.
2. "but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made" is a dependent clause.
3. "he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses" is an independent clause.

Sequense of events: "such an optical instrument had been made" occured before "Galileo did not invent the telescope" and "he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses". so

1. "Galileo did not invent the telescope" is in past perfect tense.
2. "but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made" is in simple past tense.
3. "he quickly built his own device from an organ pipe and spectacle lenses" is in simple past tense.

so choices other than A violets these rules and are incorrect....

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 867 [4], given: 19

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 166 [1], given: 0

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
abhijit_sen wrote:

A. Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
B. Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
C. Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
D. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
E. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he

I would go with A.

A: Correct
B: wrong use of verb tenses -- had not invented implies that he will invent the telescope in the future
C: Galileo, on hearing that such an optical instrument had been made, he -- totally wrong
D: missing "he" at the end
E: "even though" and "but" are redundant

Kudos [?]: 166 [1], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1101 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 21:13
abhijit_sen wrote:

E. Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he

B, D -- are out.. "he" is missing before "quicklly"
C -- Galileo,...,he .. he is redundant
E. eventhough .. but --> redundant and "being made" --> wrong

A -- looks better.

Galileo didn't invednted (pastense),... optical instrument had been made.(past perfect -- passive voice.)

pefect..

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Kudos [?]: 1101 [0], given: 5

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 21:31
abhijit_sen wrote:

To be frank i found it tough :(

Did not invent should be correct since invention is one time event
had not invnted deviates us thinkin he had not invented but can invent later .So eliminate B,C
NOw remains A,D,E :
E is eliminated since even though... but usage is not suggested
D is eliminated since HE is missing here statement apopears incomplete
A is perfect => IMO A

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2009, 07:59
Attachment:
SC.jpg
SC.jpg [ 33.42 KiB | Viewed 11016 times ]

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 312 [1], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2009, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
There's a really good explanation for this question here:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-ga ... 34256.html

It's funny, because I've done this sentence more than 5 times, and each time I'm just as hesitant. The link above is probably the most thorough explanation I have read for this particular sentence.

Kudos [?]: 312 [1], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2009, 10:22
Use if "but"in E, when "Even though" is already there is not required.
In C, Wrong use of pronoun in the modifier.
Verb tense error in B
D has missiong pronoun.
So IMO A

Choose Life

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 159 [1], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2010, 17:20
This post received
KUDOS
Lets use POE

You need had been -because instrument was built first and then Galileo heard
so, B and E - gone

OK , A,C and D

D - I like D if there was a ' he ' in the end , without that this sentence goes for a toss

C is no good as well , if you remove all non-required clauses - you are left with Galileo and he . Also , this sentence uses two had been - not a good way to describe sequence of events - gone

A is the answer

Always tag your question

Kudos [?]: 159 [1], given: 14

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1559 [0], given: 40

WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2010, 07:35
noboru,

I think if there is some contrast in the sentence and conjuction is present then we need a subject. For example,
Although X...., subject
x........, but (pronoun-x)/y.........

Kudos [?]: 1559 [0], given: 40

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 249 [3], given: 65

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2010, 16:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A.

I had a slightly different approach.

Besides C, D and E having all sorts of errors, I would eliminate C, D and E because even though would change the context slightly.
The original sentence emphasizes the fact that he wasn't the first person to invent the telescope. Inserting even though instead of but, the passage seems to emphasize the fact he did made the telescope and sounds more forgiving about the fact he wasn't the first.

Having been made on B is obviously wrong. so I went with A.

Does my reasoning make sense or valid? let me know.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Kudos [?]: 249 [3], given: 65

6 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 605 [6], given: 32

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2010, 15:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hey guys,

I've always liked this question. My approach:

First, whenever I see a question with a large portion underlined and without a clear (to me) decision point in that underline, I like to look at the first and last word of the answer choices to see if I can find a quick decision point. Very frequently the first or last words are different and you can determine whether you need one or the other.

Here, three use the last word "he" and two do not, so that became a first decision point for me. You'd need "he" in this case to refer back to Galileo unless the verb that follows "quickly built" is set up as a parallel verb to another past tense event before it. Because that doesn't happen in B or D, they're both incorrect.

The first words, either "Galileo" or "Even though Galileo", also note a decision to be made - here, you have to set up a transition between "did not invent the telescope" and "built one quickly after it was invented (paraphrase)". That can be done either with "Even though" at the beginning or "but" halfway through, but not with both. Therefore, E, which does both, is incorrect.

Keeping on that theme, check C for that transition - C uses "even though", but does so as a modifier to describe Galileo. Because modifiers separated by commas are nonessential information, you can remove them to check the rest of the sentence. Here, you'd then have:

Galileo he quickly built...

That's a redundant, unnecessary use of a pronoun and it's used without separation, so it's incorrect. A, although incredibly awkward to the ear, is the only one left standing without error, and is therefore correct.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 605 [6], given: 32

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 315

WE 1: 5.0

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2011, 01:29
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
Hi,
But in D, there is actually a || between did not invent and built, so I dont follow you when you say that "he" is needed there.
Could you clarify?
Thanks!

hi noboru,
Let me try to work out your concern about (D).
First Look at "even though blah blah blah"
1. When we have a sentence beginning with "even though,...",the clause following "even though" is subordinate clause and we need the main clause which have S + V --> that why we need "he" working as a S here
2. "even though" is different in meaning with "but. "Even though" shows something paradox so it is not appropriate when applying in the meaning of this sc.
Hope it helps. Please correct me if i'm wrong

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Kudos [?]: 75 [1], given: 315

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 66

Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2011, 07:01
daryayurlova wrote:
(a)
(b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
(c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
(d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
(e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, o such an optical instrument being made, he

Here your ability to notice redundancy is being tested.
In E the idea of contrast is already expressed in but or even though so you don't need both to express that idea. E is out.
In D we want to express that there is a contrast but the way eventhough is used here kind of alters the meaning of the sentence. Even though also means in spite of the fact that, and that is not the idea that we want to express (according to the original sentence).
D is out.
In C, for the same reason as D you can eliminate C.
In B, the verb tenses used are not correct. "Galileo had not invented the telescope" the words in red should have been written in the simple past tense because what Galileo did was in fact in the past. "of such an optical instrument having been made" the words in blue should have been in the past perfect tense b/c that occurrence happened before an occurrence (Galileo did not invent the telescope) that took place in the past.

A is correct. On hearing is like saying upon hearing or right after he heard. That is the correct idiom.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 66

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 13

Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2011, 22:34
The question statement, regardless of being correct or not, implies that Galileo did NOT invent the telescope. This implies that when Galileo made his own device, there was in existence some version of a telescope already.
On this logic we can straight eliminate b and d even without looking at their other grammatical errors- they talk of telescope having been made/ being made- that is the other version of telescope is still in process of making. But that leaves a chance that Galileo did invent the telescope- which is in contradiction to the question statement.
c. wrong placement of 'on hearing', sentence is not structured correctly- skeleton says - Galileo, on hearing, he quickly built..incorrect
d. even though brings in cause effect connotation - makes it sound like galileo built his device, DESPITE not inventing telescope- As if inventig telescope is a cause and building device an effect- not logically correct. Incorrect option

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 13

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1720 [1], given: 62

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 23:45
This post received
KUDOS
nikhilsrl wrote:

a) Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
b) Galileo had not invented the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument having been made,
c) Galileo, even though he had not invented the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made, he
d) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, on hearing, in 1609, that such an optical instrument had been made,
e) Even though Galileo did not invent the telescope, but when he heard, in 1609, of such an optical instrument being made, he

OA is provided

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why not D?

The modifiers CANNOT modify across "and", "but" etc.
The modifier in the status quo is "but on hearing". So it will modify the clause that comes just after this modifier WHEREAS without "but" in modifier, it seems that "on hearing" can modify either side of it, creating ambiguity.
B implies that Galileo WAS the inventer because the other device was being made; lacks the subject; is a run on.
C and D have modifier ambiguity.; D lacks the subject.
E changes the meaning by implying that the other device was still being made WHEREAS the original intent says that the other device had already been made.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kudos [?]: 1720 [1], given: 62

Re: Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2012, 23:45

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 40 posts ] 

Galileo did not invent the telescope, but on hearing, in 1609, that su

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap