GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Gave my GMAT today, scored a 610 Q47 V28! Need advise on applications

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Gave my GMAT today, scored a 610 Q47 V28! Need advise on applications [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 08:33
Hi all, I gave my GMAT today and scored a 610, Q47 V28 IR 3. Deeply disappointed in myself. I had prepared rigorously from 1st November onwards. My initial MGMAT score was 540, V32 Q33. Thanks to GMAT club, I was able to improve my score from Q33 to Q47. However, my target score for this attempt was 650-670. This is just a brief background, now I need all your help in determining whether I should apply to B-schools or not.

Target B-schools :

1st Pref - ISB Hyderabad/Mohali
2nd Pref - INSEAD, IE Business School, EDHEC

This is my present profile as of now:

Work experience 3.8 years

- Associate in one of the top global investment banks
- Working presently in business intelligence and engineering (Transitioned from ops based role to a tech and data analytics based role)
- Saved over 150 hours of work through my efforts in the same space.
- Consistently been a top performer through out my career.

Educational qualification

- Certified Alteryx Designer
- Passed CFA level 2
- GPA 3.0 from Christ University, Bangalore, India
- Bachelors in business management, majored in Finance
- 75% in my class 12th Board examinations (CBSE Board)

Leadership roles

- President of my corporate toastmaster club.
- Backstage head for college production house.

Apart from this my interests lie in automation, robotics and fintech. I want to do MBA to rebrand myself as a fintech person. My hobbies include home automation projects, gaming etc.

Honestly, guys I feel defeated. I know I am going to get up dust myself and get a better score, atleast a 100 point improvement, but as of now, I really need to understand what should I do? Some people feel that I have a good profile and I should go ahead and apply, others are telling me my probability of acceptance is less than .1

I really could use some help and motivation!

Thank you in advance
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Gave my GMAT today, scored a 610 Q47 V28! Need advise on applications [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 03 Jan 2018, 09:31
1st try may not give you the best, you need one/two more attempts to make. Good Luck :)

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Originally posted by nahid78 on 02 Jan 2018, 10:07.
Last edited by nahid78 on 03 Jan 2018, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Gave my GMAT today, scored a 610 Q47 V28! Need advise on applications [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 18:44
Hi adityan92,

To start, your 610 is a nice improvement over your initial 540 CAT score - it shows that you have the capacity to learn and improve. Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet to have scored higher. The Verbal section of the GMAT is as consistent and predictable as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. That having been said, to raise this score 100+ points, you're going to have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Goals:
4) What is your exact goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Gave my GMAT today, scored a 610 Q47 V28! Need advise on applications [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 20:30
adityan92 wrote:
Hi all, I gave my GMAT today and scored a 610, Q47 V28 IR 3. Deeply disappointed in myself. I had prepared rigorously from 1st November onwards. My initial MGMAT score was 540, V32 Q33. Thanks to GMAT club, I was able to improve my score from Q33 to Q47. However, my target score for this attempt was 650-670. This is just a brief background, now I need all your help in determining whether I should apply to B-schools or not.

Target B-schools :

1st Pref - ISB Hyderabad/Mohali
2nd Pref - INSEAD, IE Business School, EDHEC

This is my present profile as of now:

Work experience 3.8 years

- Associate in one of the top global investment banks
- Working presently in business intelligence and engineering (Transitioned from ops based role to a tech and data analytics based role)
- Saved over 150 hours of work through my efforts in the same space.
- Consistently been a top performer through out my career.

Educational qualification

- Certified Alteryx Designer
- Passed CFA level 2
- GPA 3.0 from Christ University, Bangalore, India
- Bachelors in business management, majored in Finance
- 75% in my class 12th Board examinations (CBSE Board)

Leadership roles

- President of my corporate toastmaster club.
- Backstage head for college production house.

Apart from this my interests lie in automation, robotics and fintech. I want to do MBA to rebrand myself as a fintech person. My hobbies include home automation projects, gaming etc.

Honestly, guys I feel defeated. I know I am going to get up dust myself and get a better score, atleast a 100 point improvement, but as of now, I really need to understand what should I do? Some people feel that I have a good profile and I should go ahead and apply, others are telling me my probability of acceptance is less than .1

I really could use some help and motivation!

Thank you in advance
It's likely to be an uphill battle, at least for the top schools. There are just too many people applying with great profiles. Taking the GMAT again and getting a better score would make the whole process a lot easier.

Ascore Prep | Online | Bangalore

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 20:49
EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks for your response , below is the answer to your questions:

Study materials for quants :

GMATClub posts and practiced from OG and GMAT club tests. I feel these are more than enough for quant, as mainly it is application and understanding which helped me come so far. Additionally I feel improving from Q47 to Q49 Q50 will be way more difficult than Q33 to Q47. (Could really use some experts advise here)

Study materials for Verbal
E-Gmat verbal, it has helped me a lot, however given I had a major shortage of time, I devoted around 40 days to quants and remaining to verbal, so I could only complete their modules however couldn't work on my weak areas. I have been using their scholarium, but scoring very poorly, only 56% accuracy (weighted). I haven't completed OG for verbal, so I know for a fact I can complete verbal, however I want a proper schedule and guidance on this. I am giving myself 45 days to re-appear.

My scores so far :

MGMAT 1 - 540 Q33 V32
Veritas Prep 1 - 590 Q42 V29
GMAC Prep test 1 - 560 Q42 V25
GMAC Prep test 3 - 560 Q44 V24
MGMAT 2 - 580 Q40 V30
MGMAT 3 - 580 Q43 V26
GMAC Test 4 - 640 Q46 V33
GMAC Test 5 - 620 Q44 V31
GMAC Test 6 - 640 Q47 V32

As you can see the trend in my quant paper is linearly upward, however my verbal is very shaky, sometimes I score 33 other times 24. There are definitely gaps, and I do struggle with CR, RC and SC as a whole. However, I feel like I can conquer SC faster and more efficiently than I can do CR and RC.

Please help me in chartering out my plan ! I would really appreciate this!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 20:54
AjiteshArun

Thanks for your reply Ajitesh. Yes it is going to be an uphill battle. I guess its better I re-do my GMAT.
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 13:16
Hi adityan92,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your last 4 CAT score results - along with your Official GMAT Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 610 +/- a few points). From what you've described, you didn't put much time and effort into your Verbal studies (and you've studied just 2 months), so you could potentially improve simply by continuing to study with your current materials over the next 6 weeks. Thus, you have to decide whether to continue with your current plan/materials or invest in some new Tactics/materials.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Gave my GMAT today, scored a 610 Q47 V28! Need advise on applications   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2018, 13:16

Gave my GMAT today, scored a 610 Q47 V28! Need advise on applications

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR JULY
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap