GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 04:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 168
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2011, 09:28
2
11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (02:24) correct 36% (02:13) wrong based on 235 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power

Attachments

gear X nd Y.JPG
gear X nd Y.JPG [ 23.47 KiB | Viewed 5580 times ]


_________________
The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9704
Location: Pune, India
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2011, 19:16
6
7
GMATD11 wrote:
How to approach such type of question?


Such questions are based on the concept of variation.

The no of revolutions made depends on the circumference of the circle. Circumference depends on the radius of the circle.
If radius is greater, lesser number of revolutions will be completed in the same time if the gears are interconnected.
Since ratio of radius of X:Y is 4:10 = 2:5, No of revolutions made by X and Y will be in the ratio 5:2 (revolutions made are inversely proportional to the radius)

3000 revolutions/min = 50 revolutions/sec
So gear Y will make 20 revolutions/sec
Difference = 30
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: -=Given to Fly=-
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 788
Location: India
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Haas '18, Kelley '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2011, 11:09
1
Such problems can be quickly solved with a little visualization!

Gear X:

Circumference = 8 pi

Revolutions per minute = 3000
Revolutions per second = 3000/60 = 50

For any point x on the circumference of gear x, distance travelled in one second = 50 * 8 pi

Gear Y:

Circumferenec = 20 pi
For any point y on the circumference of gear y, the distance travelled in one second = 50 * 8 pi

Therefore, revolutions per second = 50 * 8 pi / 20 pi = 20

Question: What is the difference between the number of revolutions per second...

Ans: 50 - 20 = 30

Therefore, 'E'
_________________
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1572
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2011, 11:46
1 min:
4 inches-> 3000 rev
1 inch-> 3000* 4 rev
10 inch -> 3000*4/10 = 1200 rev

4 inch:
1 min -> 3000 rev
1 sec-> 3000/60 = 50 rev

10 inch:
1 min -> 1200 rev
1 sec -> 1200/60 = 20 rev

Diff: 50-20 = 30

Ans: "E"
_________________
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 654
Reviews Badge
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2011, 21:18
Let y be the number of revs / sec by gear Y. The assumption is revs are inversely proportional to the diameter of the wheel. ---------(1)
3000 revs/sec = 50 revs / sec
From (1) 50 * 4 = y * 10
y = 20
Difference = 50 - 20 = 30 revs / sec
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2015
Posts: 4
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2015, 18:49
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
GMATD11 wrote:
How to approach such type of question?


Such questions are based on the concept of variation.

The no of revolutions made depends on the circumference of the circle. Circumference depends on the radius of the circle.
If radius is greater, lesser number of revolutions will be completed in the same time if the gears are interconnected.
Since ratio of radius of X:Y is 4:10 = 2:5, No of revolutions made by X and Y will be in the ratio 5:2 (revolutions made are inversely proportional to the radius)

3000 revolutions/min = 50 revolutions/sec
So gear Y will make 20 revolutions/sec
Difference = 30



Doesn't this state that the diameters of X and Y are 4 and 10, respectively? So shouldn't we be using 2 and 5 for the radii?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Posts: 18
Location: Italy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.7
Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Mar 2015, 07:24
First convert the frequency from revolutions per minute to revolutions per second.

\(\frac{3000}{60 seconds}=\frac{50}{second}\)

Since the diameter is directly proportional to the length of the circumference, and the circumference is inversely proportional to the frequency, the diameter is inversely proportional to the frequency

\(\frac{1}{4}:50=\frac{1}{10}:X \Rightarrow X=20\)

The difference of the two frequencies is \(50-20=30\)

Answer E

Originally posted by ngie on 21 Mar 2015, 03:29.
Last edited by ngie on 21 Mar 2015, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 199
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 04:01
Simple question. I dont think this can be 700 questions especially when compared to several 700 levels questions that I saw in GMAT club.

the solution

4 inches gear makes- 3000
10 inches gear makes- X

apply chain rule.

you will 4X3000/10 = 1200 (number of revs that 10 inch gear makes)


Finally divide 3000 and 1200 by 60, you will get 50 and 20 respectively answer= 30.


The only that I doubt in this question is, Is there a valid reason to think that a larger gear makes fewer revolutions.


GMATD11 wrote:
Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power

_________________
Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15287
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 12:07
Hi shriramvelamuri,

This prompt is based on multi-shape Geometry, which is a category that consistently ranks at the 'higher end' of the difficulty spectrum on the GMAT. If you think that it's easy, then that's great, but most Test Takers would NOT find this question to be so simple.

The prompt also involves rates; since the larger gear has a larger circumference, it has to turn through "more space" to complete a full rotation. By definition it will have fewer revolutions because its rate is based on the rate of the smaller gear (which has a smaller circumference and has to turn through "less space" to complete a full rotation).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9704
Location: Pune, India
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2015, 02:20
1
metskj127 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
GMATD11 wrote:
How to approach such type of question?


Such questions are based on the concept of variation.

The no of revolutions made depends on the circumference of the circle. Circumference depends on the radius of the circle.
If radius is greater, lesser number of revolutions will be completed in the same time if the gears are interconnected.
Since ratio of radius of X:Y is 4:10 = 2:5, No of revolutions made by X and Y will be in the ratio 5:2 (revolutions made are inversely proportional to the radius)

3000 revolutions/min = 50 revolutions/sec
So gear Y will make 20 revolutions/sec
Difference = 30



Doesn't this state that the diameters of X and Y are 4 and 10, respectively? So shouldn't we be using 2 and 5 for the radii?


Note that we are talking about the RATIO of the radii. The ratio of the radii will be the same as the ratio of the diameters. If the diameter of one circle is twice the diameter of another, then its radius will also be twice the radius of the other.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: The Final Countdown
Joined: 07 Mar 2013
Posts: 280
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2015, 23:35
shriramvelamuri wrote:
Simple question. I dont think this can be 700 questions especially when compared to several 700 levels questions that I saw in GMAT club.

the solution

4 inches gear makes- 3000
10 inches gear makes- X

apply chain rule.

you will 4X3000/10 = 1200 (number of revs that 10 inch gear makes)


Finally divide 3000 and 1200 by 60, you will get 50 and 20 respectively answer= 30.


The only that I doubt in this question is, Is there a valid reason to think that a larger gear makes fewer revolutions.


GMATD11 wrote:
Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power


what is the chain rule here?I am messing up the calculation when i use the normal unitary method to find the number of revolutions made by 10 inch wheel and ending up with (3000*10)/4.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9704
Location: Pune, India
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2015, 03:42
Ralphcuisak wrote:
shriramvelamuri wrote:
Simple question. I dont think this can be 700 questions especially when compared to several 700 levels questions that I saw in GMAT club.

the solution

4 inches gear makes- 3000
10 inches gear makes- X

apply chain rule.

you will 4X3000/10 = 1200 (number of revs that 10 inch gear makes)


Finally divide 3000 and 1200 by 60, you will get 50 and 20 respectively answer= 30.


The only that I doubt in this question is, Is there a valid reason to think that a larger gear makes fewer revolutions.


GMATD11 wrote:
Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power


what is the chain rule here?I am messing up the calculation when i use the normal unitary method to find the number of revolutions made by 10 inch wheel and ending up with (3000*10)/4.


You will multiply 3000 by 4/10 because a larger gear will make fewer revolutions. Since you want to reduce 3000, you will multiply it by 4/10 (a number smaller than 1).

For more on this, check: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/02 ... variation/
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Board of Directors
User avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jul 2014
Posts: 2509
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2015, 07:38
tricky one!
X makes 3000/60 -> 50 revolutions
Circumference is 2pi * r => circumference for gear X is 8pi and for Y is 20pi
now we know that gear x makes 50 revolutions per second, or a total distance of 8pi*50, and this is the total distance gear y makes. to find how many revolutions gear y makes, divide 8pi*50/20pi -> simplify pi's, 10,s and 2 with 4, and get 20. Gear Y makes 20 revolutions. Difference is thus 50-20=30.

P.S. the proportion way of solving the problem is very interesting!!!
VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2014
Posts: 1224
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2015, 17:26
gear X makes 50 rps
ratio of gear X to gear Y circumferences=4⫪/10⫪= 2/5
(2/5)(50)=20
50-20=30 rps difference between gear X and Y
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 22 Sep 2018
Posts: 240
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2019, 17:12
GMATD11 wrote:
Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power


My reasoning if it helps anyone:

The stem says the two gears are interconnected. This means that the distance covered by both gears will be equal to each other.

Gear 1 travels 4pi units every revolution and rotates at \(\frac{50 revolutions}{second}\)
Gear 2 travels 10pi units every revolution and rotates a \(\frac{x revolutions}{second}\)

We can divide out pi and set the equation as such:

\(4 * 50 = 10 *x\)
\(x = 20\)
Thus difference between the two speeds can be solved \(50 - 20 = 30\)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2019, 17:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Gears X and Y are interconnected within and power

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne