GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jul 2018, 17:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Genetic engineering sometimes entails plant or animal genes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Genetic engineering sometimes entails plant or animal genes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 14:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (00:41) correct 14% (00:51) wrong based on 478 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Genetic engineering sometimes entails plant or animal genes’ getting spliced into other species’ DNA, either to improve crop yields or for warding off insects or disease.

A. plant or animal genes’ getting spliced into other species’ DNA, either to improve crop yields or for warding off
B. plant or animal genes that get spliced into the DNA of other species, either for improving crop yields or the warding off of
C. the splicing of plant or animal genes into other species’ DNA, to either improve crop yields or to ward off
D. splicing plant or animal genes into the DNA of other species, either to improve crop yields or to ward off
E. splicing of plant or animal genes into the DNA of other species, for either the improvement of crop yields or to ward off
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Wharton
Re: Genetic engineering sometimes entails plant or animal genes  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 14:51
abhijit_sen wrote:
Genetic engineering sometimes entails plant or animal genes’ getting spliced into other species’ DNA, either to improve crop yields or for warding off insects or disease.

A. plant or animal genes’ getting spliced into other species’ DNA, either to improve crop yields or for warding off
B. plant or animal genes that get spliced into the DNA of other species, either for improving crop yields or the warding off of
C. the splicing of plant or animal genes into other species’ DNA, to either improve crop yields or to ward off
D. splicing plant or animal genes into the DNA of other species, either to improve crop yields or to ward off
E. splicing of plant or animal genes into the DNA of other species, for either the improvement of crop yields or to ward off

I go D.

A: either to improve...or for warding off -- not parallel
B: either for improving...or the warding off -- not parallel and awkward
C: the splicing of plant or animal genes -- awkward
D: correct
E: either the improvement...or to ward off -- not parallel
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 20:35
abhijit_sen wrote:

D. splicing plant or animal genes into the DNA of other species, either to improve crop yields or to ward off -> perfect usage of either => IMO D

Clearly it D since correct usage of either is in this option only

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2008, 21:57
D for me as well. It uses either ..or and parallelism properly
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Tuck, Michigan (Ross), Darden, MBS

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2008, 01:22
zoinnk wrote:
abhijit_sen wrote:

I go D.

A: either to improve...or for warding off -- not parallel
B: either for improving...or the warding off -- not parallel and awkward
C: the splicing of plant or animal genes -- awkward
D: correct
E: either the improvement...or to ward off -- not parallel

nicely explained +1

:)

-----------------------------------------------------------
'It's not the ride, it's the rider'

VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2010, 11:45
abhijit_sen wrote:

Isn't a run-off setnce is created in all answer choices?
please advise /

thansk

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2010, 12:42
For a run-on, you need ideally two independent sentences with two working verbs but those two sentences will not be connected either by a conjunction, or by a right punctuation such as a semicolon or a period.

In the given case, all the choices are single clauses and there is no second sentence. Engineering is the subject and entails is the verb while the rest is all the object

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2010, 15:15
D

A. warding off is not parallel
B. get spliced (believe GMAT doesn't allow get+passive phrase) and the warding off of is not parallel
D. wordy, and to ward off should be ward off since either is placed after to
E. splicing of is awkward, and to ward off is not parallel.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 02:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Genetic engineering sometimes entails plant or animal genes &nbs [#permalink] 22 Aug 2017, 02:01

Genetic engineering sometimes entails plant or animal genes

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap