Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:10 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 721 [64]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [17]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [4]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou [#permalink]
Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold
best

(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
they is ambiguous

(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
wordy and not parallel

(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
wordy

(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold
wordy

+1 if you like the question :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1217 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Is there any difference in meaning among the following sentences?

Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3157 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I was stumped too on this one.

Verb modifiers can be placed anywhere.

From X to Y is a verb modifier modifying 'changed suddenly' how streams changed?
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4598 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
applying POE to get the answer.

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold
(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
kinjiGC wrote:

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold - Looks good.

(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding - Parallelism issue - From X to Y. X and Y should be parallel.

(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding - it is makes the option more wordy. It doesn't have an antecedent and acts as a placeholder which is not really required. - Incorrect

(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding -
Same issue as that of Option C)

(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold - being - Indicates that it is happening right now. incorrect.

One more thing.
I prefer drinking coffee to drinking tea to keep me awake at night.
I prefer drinking coffee to drinking tea for keeping me awake at night.

2nd option doesn't provide the intent hence for keeping is not the correct usage. This is one more issue with "For holding" in Option B,C and D.

I am not sure if shifting is incorrect.

I changed my books orientation, shifting from bookshelf placed in my bedroom to bookshelf placed in my living room.

Shifting is verbing modifier provides more info about I changed my books.

And If I break the sentences in clauses:

Geologists have found
that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago
shifting from X to Y.
So the subject of the verbing modifier is still streams and shifting can be tagged to the subject and it makes sense.

I don't think "shifting" is a issue here.

Shifting is incorrect because is it redundant. Change is already mentioned earlier, so that makes the addtion of shifting unnecessarily wordy.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kinjiGC wrote:
I prefer drinking coffee to drinking tea to keep me awake at night.
I prefer drinking coffee to drinking tea for keeping me awake at night.

2nd option doesn't provide the intent hence for keeping is not the correct usage. This is one more issue with "For holding" in Option B,C and D.

Actually this is an interesting observation. While infinitives express intent is generally true, did you notice that you actually used prefer drinking and not prefer to drink.

When two verbs (or verb forms) appear together, the first verb determines whether the second verb will be in the gerund form (-ing form of the verb) or in the infinitive form (to + the basic form of the verb).

For example, let us take the word enjoy. We would always say:

I enjoy swimming.

And not

I enjoy to swim.

p.s. This topic has been discussed in detail in our book. If you can PM me your mail id, I can send the corresponding section to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1137 [0]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Is there a difference between the usage of "from" and "shifting from". If option E was copy paste of option A and had the word shifting in addition, which option would be the correct answer?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8557 [4]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
joseph0alexander wrote:
Is there a difference between the usage of "from" and "shifting from". If option E was copy paste of option A and had the word shifting in addition, which option would be the correct answer?

Hello joseph0alexander.

D and E are wrong because of redundancy. "shifting" is not necessary. You can look back to the non-underlined portion: ".......streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago......., shifting from X to Y....."

"change" means "shift". In fact, it's a very classical trick used by GMAT. It uses a same meaning word in the non-underlined portion, so if read too fast, we will ignore a small but important point.

Hope it helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20726 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
ksung84 wrote:

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain the different of "to hold" (A) and "for holding" (B) in this problem?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain the different of "to hold" (A) and "for holding" (B) in this problem?

Ziyuen, I don't think it's a major issue here. That particular part of the sentence describes the usefulness of the deep-rooted vegetation, and I don't think that "for holding" is necessarily wrong in this case. "To hold" is probably a little bit better, since "for holding" seems to imply some sort of specific design or intent -- and that's probably not ideal here. But I wouldn't automatically dismiss "for holding" in this particular sentence.

Not coincidentally, it's a non-issue in the sentence. The GMAT gives us very clear errors (pronouns and redundancies) in the other answer choices -- so there's no real reason to even worry about the idiom. That's classic GMAT SC: distract us with a split that doesn't matter much, while the real issues lie elsewhere. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
wouldn't answer choice D and E be considered participle phrases since it contains the ,ing structure at the end? If so, wouldn't it modify the subject Geologists?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
The first thing I realized after reading this sentence is that after "comma", there shud be somethng that modifies "changed suddenly" (how did it changed suddenly is the first question that i asked myself). So i started looking for somethng with "ing". So i directly went to 4th and 5th option. But i found "areas where" and "for holding" in option 4 as incorrect. So i went to option 5. Here also i didnt like "being". So i discared. I had taken for granted that when you try to modify preceding clause you should use "comma+ing" or "comma+with". I was confused. But anyhow i selected the correct ansr(which is "a"). But i didnt understand why a? So after thinking for some time I figured out that "at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago" is just a prepositional phrase and "from" in option a can be used to modify "changed" in the previous sentence. Is my interpretation correct ? Does this sentence give us any extra takeawy (beside the one which we know that except "comma+with" all "comma+prepositions" are used to modify somethng just before the comma? Does "comma+from" in this sentence work like "comma+with" type of sentences?).
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30815 [4]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos