It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

8 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 161 [8], given: 52

Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:06) correct 28% (01:16) wrong based on 619 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold

(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 161 [8], given: 52

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [1], given: 36

Re: Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 12:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ksung84 wrote:
Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold
(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold

+1 if you like the question :-D

A is the correct answer

2 points are tested in this question i.e. Idiom (From X To Y) and Parallelism

B, C, & E use the correct idiom From X to Y but violate parallelism. X & Y are not parallel.

D has modifier error. The verb-inf modifier "Shifting from ...." either has to present the result of the first statement or provide additional information about the first clause. It does neither rather explain how the transformation took place.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Kudos [?]: 55 [1], given: 36

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2013, 19:55

best

they is ambiguous

wordy and not parallel

wordy

wordy

+1 if you like the question :-D

Vietnam's number one online service on thit bo nhap khau

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 272 [0], given: 87

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2014, 05:43
Is there any difference in meaning among the following sentences?

Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

Kudos [?]: 272 [0], given: 87

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1062 [3], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2014, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold - Looks good.

(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding - Parallelism issue - From X to Y. X and Y should be parallel.

(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding - it is makes the option more wordy. It doesn't have an antecedent and acts as a placeholder which is not really required. - Incorrect

(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding -
Same issue as that of Option C)

(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold - being - Indicates that it is happening right now. incorrect.

One more thing.
I prefer drinking coffee to drinking tea to keep me awake at night.
I prefer drinking coffee to drinking tea for keeping me awake at night.

2nd option doesn't provide the intent hence for keeping is not the correct usage. This is one more issue with "For holding" in Option B,C and D.

I am not sure if shifting is incorrect.

I changed my books orientation, shifting from bookshelf placed in my bedroom to bookshelf placed in my living room.

Shifting is verbing modifier provides more info about I changed my books.

And If I break the sentences in clauses:

Geologists have found
that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago
shifting from X to Y.
So the subject of the verbing modifier is still streams and shifting can be tagged to the subject and it makes sense.

I don't think "shifting" is a issue here.

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1062 [3], given: 548

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 888 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2014, 05:28
I was stumped too on this one.

Verb modifiers can be placed anywhere.

From X to Y is a verb modifier modifying 'changed suddenly' how streams changed?

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 888 [0], given: 322

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1856 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2014, 08:40
applying POE to get the answer.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1856 [0], given: 229

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 57

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 02:15
kinjiGC wrote:

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold - Looks good.

(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding - Parallelism issue - From X to Y. X and Y should be parallel.

(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding - it is makes the option more wordy. It doesn't have an antecedent and acts as a placeholder which is not really required. - Incorrect

(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding -
Same issue as that of Option C)

(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold - being - Indicates that it is happening right now. incorrect.

One more thing.

2nd option doesn't provide the intent hence for keeping is not the correct usage. This is one more issue with "For holding" in Option B,C and D.

I am not sure if shifting is incorrect.

I changed my books orientation, shifting from bookshelf placed in my bedroom to bookshelf placed in my living room.

Shifting is verbing modifier provides more info about I changed my books.

And If I break the sentences in clauses:

Geologists have found
that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago
shifting from X to Y.
So the subject of the verbing modifier is still streams and shifting can be tagged to the subject and it makes sense.

I don't think "shifting" is a issue here.

Shifting is incorrect because is it redundant. Change is already mentioned earlier, so that makes the addtion of shifting unnecessarily wordy.

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 57

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2014, 22:27
kinjiGC wrote:

Actually this is an interesting observation. While infinitives express intent is generally true, did you notice that you actually used prefer drinking and not prefer to drink.

When two verbs (or verb forms) appear together, the first verb determines whether the second verb will be in the gerund form (-ing form of the verb) or in the infinitive form (to + the basic form of the verb).

For example, let us take the word enjoy. We would always say:

I enjoy swimming.

And not

I enjoy to swim.

p.s. This topic has been discussed in detail in our book. If you can PM me your mail id, I can send the corresponding section to you.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 11

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 03:12
Is there a difference between the usage of "from" and "shifting from". If option E was copy paste of option A and had the word shifting in addition, which option would be the correct answer?

Cheers!!

JA
If you like my post, let me know. Give me a kudos! :)

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 403

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3483 [2], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2014, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
joseph0alexander wrote:
Is there a difference between the usage of "from" and "shifting from". If option E was copy paste of option A and had the word shifting in addition, which option would be the correct answer?

Hello joseph0alexander.

D and E are wrong because of redundancy. "shifting" is not necessary. You can look back to the non-underlined portion: ".......streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago......., shifting from X to Y....."

"change" means "shift". In fact, it's a very classical trick used by GMAT. It uses a same meaning word in the non-underlined portion, so if read too fast, we will ignore a small but important point.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3483 [2], given: 123

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2015, 19:36
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1193 [0], given: 417

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 20:42
ksung84 wrote:

GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain the different of "to hold" (A) and "for holding" (B) in this problem?

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1193 [0], given: 417

Expert Post
Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1621 [1], given: 404

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Top Contributor
Quote:
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain the different of "to hold" (A) and "for holding" (B) in this problem?

Ziyuen, I don't think it's a major issue here. That particular part of the sentence describes the usefulness of the deep-rooted vegetation, and I don't think that "for holding" is necessarily wrong in this case. "To hold" is probably a little bit better, since "for holding" seems to imply some sort of specific design or intent -- and that's probably not ideal here. But I wouldn't automatically dismiss "for holding" in this particular sentence.

Not coincidentally, it's a non-issue in the sentence. The GMAT gives us very clear errors (pronouns and redundancies) in the other answer choices -- so there's no real reason to even worry about the idiom. That's classic GMAT SC: distract us with a split that doesn't matter much, while the real issues lie elsewhere. :)

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1621 [1], given: 404

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 19:00
wouldn't answer choice D and E be considered participle phrases since it contains the ,ing structure at the end? If so, wouldn't it modify the subject Geologists?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 11:32
The first thing I realized after reading this sentence is that after "comma", there shud be somethng that modifies "changed suddenly" (how did it changed suddenly is the first question that i asked myself). So i started looking for somethng with "ing". So i directly went to 4th and 5th option. But i found "areas where" and "for holding" in option 4 as incorrect. So i went to option 5. Here also i didnt like "being". So i discared. I had taken for granted that when you try to modify preceding clause you should use "comma+ing" or "comma+with". I was confused. But anyhow i selected the correct ansr(which is "a"). But i didnt understand why a? So after thinking for some time I figured out that "at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago" is just a prepositional phrase and "from" in option a can be used to modify "changed" in the previous sentence. Is my interpretation correct ? Does this sentence give us any extra takeawy (beside the one which we know that except "comma+with" all "comma+prepositions" are used to modify somethng just before the comma? Does "comma+from" in this sentence work like "comma+with" type of sentences?).

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9074 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 15:04
mogarza08 wrote:
wouldn't answer choice D and E be considered participle phrases since it contains the ,ing structure at the end? If so, wouldn't it modify the subject Geologists?

Hello mogarza08,

I am not sure whether you still have this doubt. Here are my two cents anyway. :-)

It is true that comma + shifting in Choice D and E is the comma + verb-ing modifier that modifies the preceding action.

In this case, the action that precedes comma + shifting is changed. So comma + shifting modifies the action changed and hence associates with streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa, the doer of the modified action.

Since the modification is logical and the modifier makes sense with the doer of the modified action, use of comma + shifting is correct in Choice D and E.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 15:14
sambit66 wrote:
The first thing I realized after reading this sentence is that after "comma", there shud be somethng that modifies "changed suddenly" (how did it changed suddenly is the first question that i asked myself). So i started looking for somethng with "ing". So i directly went to 4th and 5th option. But i found "areas where" and "for holding" in option 4 as incorrect. So i went to option 5. Here also i didnt like "being". So i discared. I had taken for granted that when you try to modify preceding clause you should use "comma+ing" or "comma+with". I was confused. But anyhow i selected the correct ansr(which is "a"). But i didnt understand why a? So after thinking for some time I figured out that "at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago" is just a prepositional phrase and "from" in option a can be used to modify "changed" in the previous sentence. Is my interpretation correct ? Does this sentence give us any extra takeawy (beside the one which we know that except "comma+with" all "comma+prepositions" are used to modify somethng just before the comma? Does "comma+from" in this sentence work like "comma+with" type of sentences?).

Hello sambit66,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

IMHO, your analysis is very grammar oriented and looks a little inorganic, something that you are arriving at to justify the correct answer choice.

This is how I looked at the sentence. The sentence intends to say that some streams changed from X to Y to do something. Rest everything is additional information about some entity or the other.

I also do not give undue importance to the usage of comma in a sentence. I did not in this one too. For me, the comma before form just presents the necessary pause in the sentence so that I can understand well what this long sentence is actually trying to convey.

I only went by the context and the meaning conveyed by the original sentence. I did check for the grammatical nuances, but the very basic ones, nothing too complicated. But for me, the conveyed meaning makes it clear what the sentence is all about. That's our approach at e-GMAT.

Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 19

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 11:12

Correct : from X to Y (parallel) ; Infinitive form "to hold' is correct

Change in meaning : Incorrect

"For holding " is In correct , "To hold" indicates purpose correctly

Verb -ing modifier "shifting...holding" modifies verb in preceding clause : Incorrect

Same as D

Manager
Manager
B

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 11:23
egmat wrote:
mogarza08 wrote:

Hello mogarza08,

I am not sure whether you still have this doubt. Here are my two cents anyway. :-)

It is true that comma + shifting in Choice D and E is the comma + verb-ing modifier that modifies the preceding action.

In this case, the action that precedes comma + shifting is changed. So comma + shifting modifies the action changed and hence associates with streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa, the doer of the modified action.

Since the modification is logical and the modifier makes sense with the doer of the modified action, use of comma + shifting is correct in Choice D and E.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Geologist have found (something) , shifting from X to Y
This seems nonsensical .
Did geologist shift ?

Pls suggest.

Re: Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2017, 11:23

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap