Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 597
Send PM
Re: Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou [#permalink]
Don't you think

" ---- changed suddenly from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegitated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, "

would be better than the original? Is it OK to separate them that much?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 794 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
Send PM
Geologists have found that ... streams ... changed ... , from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold
(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding
(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold

1)from X to Y -B -C -D -E
Easiest way to eliminate is to see that only A has correct parallel structure from A found in X to B found in Y

Others I am not so sure about:
2) typically found in > typical in
-- going by ear here... adverb "typically" correctly modifies verb "found" and sounds like what where are trying to convey that 'the plant is commonly found here'
"typical in" just sounds weird, 'typical of' sounds better

3) to hold > for holding
-- going by ear here too but infinitive sounds way better
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Was thrown off on the commas here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Quote:
Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold

(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding

(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold

HI GMATNinja, EMPOWERgmatVerbal, generis, GMATRockstar, MentorTutoring

Can you help with options D & E. It is true that comma + shifting in Choice D and E is the comma + verb-ing modifier that modifies the preceding action.

In this case, the action that precedes comma + shifting is changed. And should make sense with Subject but here it doesn't make sense with subject.(Geologists)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
NandishSS wrote:
Quote:
Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

HI GMATNinja, EMPOWERgmatVerbal, generis, GMATRockstar, MentorTutoring

Can you help with options D & E. It is true that comma + shifting in Choice D and E is the comma + verb-ing modifier that modifies the preceding action.

In this case, the action that precedes comma + shifting is changed. And should make sense with Subject but here it doesn't make sense with subject.(Geologists)

Hello, NandishSS. Although it is true that the subject of the main clause is geologists, the subject of the embedded clause, the one that begins with that and acts as the direct object of the main clause, is streams. The -ing phrase connects logically to this subject:

streams in the Karoo basin of South Africa changed suddenly at the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, shifting from the meandering shape...

I will admit that the question took me a minute and a half to work out, in part because I thought, based on your query, that (D) or (E) might be the answer and you simply did not understand the justification. There were other issues in each of those choices that prevented me from choosing them: it and being, respectively. I ultimately settled on (A) because I knew it was the one that I had the hardest time arguing against.

I hope that helps. Thank you for bringing the question to my attention.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [0]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
MentorTutoring Thank you for your wonderful explanation :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Idiomatically:
From X to Y

So it appears that only A holds this, while the other options fail to do so.
Also the meaning is clear in A.
Hope this helps
:D
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM

(A) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold -- Correct

(B) from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding -- should be 'to hold'; not clear what 'it' is referring to here.

(C) from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding -- should be 'to hold'; not clear what 'it' is referring to here.

(D) shifting from the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas where it is without deep-rooted vegetation for holding -- should be 'to hold'; not clear what 'it' is referring to here.

(E) shifting from the meandering shape that is typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern being found in areas without deep-rooted vegetation to hold -- 'that is' is unnecessary'
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Geologists have found that streams in the Karoo basin of Sou [#permalink]
Can someone please explain the parallelism between X and Y here. I am not able to understand why are elements X (meandering..) and Y (braided pattern) not parallel in answer choices B, C, D and E. All of them are structurally nouns.

Is it the fact that (in choice B for example) when we add "that" after a noun (braided pattern), then we are comparing a noun entity (meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones) with a full clause (braided pattern that they find in areas without deep-rooted vegetation for holding)?

Similarly, in C, when we use "meandering shape typical in well vegetated zones" (noun) with "braided pattern found in areas where" (noun). I'm confused what's the issue with parallelism here. IF there is any. :-/

Please ignore the pronoun and other errors for now since I just want to understand the elimination on purely parallelism issue. Struggling with analysing the parallel entities in various idioms from a "structurally parallel" lens.

daagh IanStewart AndrewN mikemcgarry
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You can't really use parallelism alone to get the right answer here. But I think you're only focusing on the start of each phrase ("meandering shape" and "braided pattern"), which are certainly parallel in isolation. But the units the sentence is comparing are not always parallel. We have one unit:

"the meandering shape typically found in well-vegetated zones"

For perfect parallelism, you'd want the second unit to have the same structure as the first:

"the braided pattern typically found in areas without vegetation"

say, is almost perfectly parallel. You don't often find this perfect parallelism in real GMAT questions, and it's not a grammatical requirement -- there are lots of minor deviations from strict parallelism that don't affect the clarity of a sentence. But if you changed the second unit to, say:

"the braided pattern areas without vegetation typically contain"

the comparison then becomes confusing (and "contain" is a strange word choice, but I won't concern myself with finding the perfect word just to illustrate the point), and you'd generally prefer clearer wording on a GMAT SC question. In this question though, you need to investigate the pronouns and the meaning of the second half of the sentence to decide among the answer choices; parallelism alone doesn't get you there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
ksung84 wrote:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg16722563-900-wipe-out/

IN BRIEF
16 September 2000
Wipe out

TRACES of ancient river beds in the Karoo basin of South Africa show that land plants took a heavy hit during Earth’s greatest mass extinction.

At the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, 95 per cent of species were wiped out and Europe became a desert (New Scientist, 4 December 1999, p 17). Now geologists have found that streams in the Karoo changed suddenly at the same time, from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas lacking deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

Something killed plants throughout the region, causing rapid soil erosion, Peter Ward of the University of Washington reports in Science (vol 289, p 1740). He suggests extinctions on land may have preceded those at sea, but the underlying cause remains a mystery.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle MartyTargetTestPrep

What is the role of "to hold the soil together" in the sentence? What is it modifying?

Thanks in advance!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ashmit99 wrote:
ksung84 wrote:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg16722563-900-wipe-out/

IN BRIEF
16 September 2000
Wipe out

TRACES of ancient river beds in the Karoo basin of South Africa show that land plants took a heavy hit during Earth’s greatest mass extinction.

At the end of the Permian period 250 million years ago, 95 per cent of species were wiped out and Europe became a desert (New Scientist, 4 December 1999, p 17). Now geologists have found that streams in the Karoo changed suddenly at the same time, from the meandering shape typical in well-vegetated zones to the braided pattern found in areas lacking deep-rooted vegetation to hold the soil together.

Something killed plants throughout the region, causing rapid soil erosion, Peter Ward of the University of Washington reports in Science (vol 289, p 1740). He suggests extinctions on land may have preceded those at sea, but the underlying cause remains a mystery.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma EducationAisle MartyTargetTestPrep

What is the role of "to hold the soil together" in the sentence? What is it modifying?

Thanks in advance!

"to hold the soil together" gives the purpose of deep-rooted vegetation. It is an infinitive of purpose.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
I prefer drinking coffee to drinking tea to keep me awake at night.
I prefer drinking coffee to drinking tea for keeping me awake at night.

2nd option doesn't provide the intent hence for keeping is not the correct usage. This is one more issue with "For holding" in Option B,C and D.

Actually this is an interesting observation. While infinitives express intent is generally true, did you notice that you actually used prefer drinking and not prefer to drink.

When two verbs (or verb forms) appear together, the first verb determines whether the second verb will be in the gerund form (-ing form of the verb) or in the infinitive form (to + the basic form of the verb).

For example, let us take the word enjoy. We would always say:

I enjoy swimming.

And not

I enjoy to swim.

p.s. This topic has been discussed in detail in our book. If you can PM me your mail id, I can send the corresponding section to you.

What about the modifier issue? "shifting......" should modify streams, which it does in(D) and (E), but in the modifier "from......" in (A), (B), and (C) is far apart from streams and seems like a run on run sentence or modifying something else.?.?.?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts