It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 00:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT 730 - Oxford R1 Admit - Strategy & Tips

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 32 [3], given: 64

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.14
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT 730 - Oxford R1 Admit - Strategy & Tips [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This is a summary of my GMAT preparation and B-school application strategy. Its applicability will, of course, not be universal. Feel free to use what tips sound right and in the end please experiment enough in the early stages to find a system that works for you.

My profile details are as under:

- Male
- Indian
- BEng (Hons), Sheffield University UK, 3.14 GPA
- 26 years old
- GMAT: 730 (Q-49, V-40, IR-8, AWA-6.0)
- 52 months WE at matriculation: 8 months IT consultancy (UK), 20 months Operations management, Steel industry (India), 24 months Sales & Marketing, FMCD industry (India)

GMAT

Preparation material:

- Quant material: OG, GMATClub questions, mock tests
- Verbal material: OG, Manhattan Guide (especially for SC), GMATClub questions, mock tests
- IR: mock tests
- AWA: GMATClub user chineseburned’s AWA template
- Mock tests: GMAT Prep 1-4, Manhattan Guide, Veritas Prep

Note: I found that no material has CR questions that are as well constructed as in the OG. Each official question is prepared after a lot of research and testing. By the same logic, the Verbal section of the official GMAT Prep software gave the most accurate representation of the actual test difficulty and marking algorithm.

General advice:

- Practice in timed conditions: the ticking clock on D-Day jacks up the pressure level by a few notches. GMATClub question banks with the timer facility are a great resource for timed practice.
- Practice must be on a consistent basis, with a fixed study time each day for at least 3-4 months.
- After finishing one round of basic preparation, it is a good idea to immediately jump into mocks and to attempt one full mock test (including AWA and IR as well as timed breaks as per official rules) at least once per week.
- Mock test sessions should be followed up with a section and sub-section wise analysis of time taken to answer and type of mistake(s) made (silly error/conceptual lacking).
- Stress levels can skyrocket as one nears D-Day so learning a relaxation technique is bound to be handy. Light meditation, balanced diet and sufficient sleep worked for me.
- Experiment (well in advance) with how sugared-up/caffeinated you want to be on exam day, lest there should be some unwanted surprises!
- Plan enough buffer time to give a retake, if required. Having the mental security of this option also helps calm the nerves a bit, especially since now you can cancel scores without reporting them if you so desire.

APPLICATION STRATEGY

- I was interested mainly in one year courses and had a vague idea of why I wanted to do an MBA. But I struggled to a) define my motives clearly and b) select relevant B-schools.
- I hired MBA Crystal Ball to help me prepare a coherent motive for doing an MBA, discuss the pros and cons of various post MBA career options, give me feedback on my essays and, finally, to prepare for interviews.
- Don’t cast your net of advisors too wide – it can become a bit confusing. I would recommend choosing one or two mentors. These need not necessarily be different from your referees but having a neutral and informed party to assess your application is extremely helpful.
- Plan to take at least 2 weeks per application (first few will naturally take longer). Best to avoid overlapping GMAT prep and application to have better focus.

OUTCOMES

- In the end, based on an assessment conducted by my consultant, (taking into consideration factors including but not limited to: my nationality, work ex, education and GMAT score) I narrowed down on the following B-schools to apply to: AGSM, Oxford (Saïd), Cambridge (Judge), ISB & Insead.
- I got interview calls from all of the above schools except Insead, received an admit from AGSM with a substantial scholarship, and an admit from Oxford (Saïd).
- After careful consideration and much deliberation I have decided to accept the offer from Oxford and I will be starting at Saïd Business School next year (matriculating in 2016).

If anyone has further questions for me, please feel free to ask and good luck to all aspirants on GMATClub :)

Last edited by rohitkumar1 on 29 Dec 2015, 11:15, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 32 [3], given: 64

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesEMPOWERgmat Discount CodesEconomist GMAT Tutor Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: GMAT 730 - Oxford R1 Admit - Strategy & Tips [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 10:23
Congrats on the admit and the score buddy !! What about financial funding ? Would be very helpful if you could shed some light on it.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 64

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.14
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Re: GMAT 730 - Oxford R1 Admit - Strategy & Tips [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 11:08
I will be funding partly through savings and partly through loans.

There's also a number of merit-based scholarships on offer though I haven't received any.

Prodigy finance gives a collateral and cosigner independent loan to Oxford admits. More info on their website https://prodigyfinance.com.

PM me if you want to discuss further :)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 64

Re: GMAT 730 - Oxford R1 Admit - Strategy & Tips   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2015, 11:08

GMAT 730 - Oxford R1 Admit - Strategy & Tips

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap