GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

GMAT 740- 1st Attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
GMAT 740- 1st Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2017, 22:48
Hey everyone,

I took the GMAT 2 days ago and scored 740 (Q51, V39, IR 8 ). First of all I want to make it clear that I will not be using this for MBA admission but for PhD admissions. I have decided to give GMAT after a few attempts at GRE and I was never able cross the 320 mark. My quant was relatively strong and Verbal was very week , I simply couldn't get a hang of the GRE words and was always scoring between 315-320 but never crossed the 320 mark. My friends suggested me to give shot at GMAT and after reviewing the verbal format and question types , I was confident that I can do a better job in GMAT verbal in comparison to GRE verbal. Also I had two prep buddies who were travelling with me in the same boat and discussions with them helped me a lot in terms of focusing my effort and to keep the tempo high.

I wanted to see where I stand before starting my prep and took GMAT Prep Exam 1 to gauge my self. I scored 710(Q50 , v35)(21st May). This gave some confidence , I can score well. As most of the mistakes in verbal were in SC , my friends suggested that I should focus on SC and try to improve my Verbal score.

After this I got busy with my work and couldn't focus much on prep. I figured that until I have a deadline set , I will not study hard. I scheduled my test for 5th August. I purchased the Manhattan SC Guide and enrolled myself in the E-GMAT Verbal program. The E-GMAT subscription gave me access to GMAT club tests.

In the next two weeks , I started preparing from the Manhattan book and E-GMAT material . I was spending around 4 hours a day on my prep. For quant I was just working on the OG questions which were pretty easy(baring a few questions). On June 30th I decided to test my self again and took the Manhattan GMAT Test which I got for free with the book. I scored 620(Q41 , V34) (2nd July). I was quite surprised with the result. I was under the impression that quant is my strong forte and this test result was an eye opener for me. I also made no real progress in terms of my Verbal score , most of my mistakes were still in SC. My advice for guys take MGMAT test is not to panic if you score low , I realized that the quant questions are way more tough than the actual GMAT and the scoring algorithm also doesn't seem right.

I figured that it is important to keep practicing quant as well if I want to score well. From then on I started taking GMAT club quant CAT's every alternate day. I took a total of 16 GMAT club quant tests and scored 47 in 4 tests , 48 in 2 tests , 49 in 5 tests and 50 in 5 tests. These are the best quant questions you can practice and these tests are the only reason for my Q51. I constantly kept adding the questions I was doing wrong into a collection(its a really cool feature) and kept revisiting them to revise those concepts. Even on the day before my test I just revised these questions (in the collection). Along with these I was doing GMAT Prep Qustion Pack 1 questions.(QP1 has some really good medium and hard questions for quant).

For Verbal I kept practicing OG and Verbal review questions starting with OG 12 and from there on I kept looking for next questions added in subsequent editions. GMAT Club was really helpful in this regard. Only problem I was facing was that some questions don't have clear solutions in GMAT Club posts so I had to refer to the books again for clarifications. Working in an academic institution was handy as all the OG books were available in the library.

Along with this preparation , I started taking GMAT Prep EP1 and EP2 tests every weekend. Below mentioned are the score for the same.

GMAT Prep Exam 2 : 730 (Q50 , V39) (16th July)
GMAT Prep Exam 3 : 700 (Q49 , V35)(22nd July)
GMAT Prep Exam 4 : 710 (Q49 , V38)(30th July)
(I got only 3 mistakes in this test in quant and I was surprised to see 49)
GMAT Prep Exam 5 : 700 (Q50 , V33)(1st Aug)

Final test
GMAT Prep Exam 6: 720(Q50 , V 38)(3rd Aug)

With these results I was confident that I can score some where around 700 mark and wanted to cross that 700 mark coz if I dont , it will be similar to my GRE story. By the way I never practiced IR till my exam. I felt that if I one is good in CR and Quant , IR will not be a problem. On the day before test dday , I just looked up a template for AWA on GMAT Club and revised the quant questions from my mistakes pool. For verbal I downloaded SlingFox's SC , CR and RC notes and reviewed the same.

Test Day: Aug 5th. I opted for the order stating with Quant. I kept a good pace while solving quant but I was getting some very very easy questions (distributed through out the test) and those questions were making me nervous , I was not sure if those were experimental questions or if i screwed up my test and I am getting such questions. I finished Quant 2 minutes before time. Took a 4 minute break and started Verbal , all through out the test I was never confident. When I was giving mock test , I was very confident about my CR and RC answers but I the main exam the RC's were toughest I have ever solved and CR questions were also very confusing. SC's as usual I was not confident. When I finished the verbal section , I felt that I screwed it up badly. Another 4 minutes break and started IR section which was very easy and by the time I started my AWA , I felt exhausted. I was depressed to some extent about the Verbal section and didnt write the essay well(need to see how much I will score).

The moment I pressed submit on my AWA section , the unofficial score popped up and I couldn't believe my own eyes. 740 with 51 in Quant and 39 in Verbal and 8 in IR. I felt good , really good, mainly because of my failure to score well in GRE.

My advise for fellow test takers: Keep practicing and keep a log of every error you make. GMAt club stores all your responses and you can revisit them again. Maintain a list of learnings from your mistake and just make sure you don't ever repeat the same mistake.

Resources I used :
OG (finishing all OG questions is a must to do well in verbal)
E-GMAT - For SC
Manhattan SC Guide
GMAT Prep Question Pack(Really helpful for Verbal)

CAT's and Mock Test:
GMAT Prep - 6 Tests
GMAT Club - Quant CAT's ( a must if you want to score 50/51 in quant)

In the end I would like to than the GMAT Club community for the resources provided.

PS: Sorry for such a long post :oops:
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Re: GMAT 740- 1st Attempt  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2018, 01:19
muzeeb1408 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I took the GMAT 2 days ago and scored 740 (Q51, V39, IR 8 ). First of all I want to make it clear that I will not be using this for MBA admission but for PhD admissions. I have decided to give GMAT after a few attempts at GRE and I was never able cross the 320 mark. My quant was relatively strong and Verbal was very week , I simply couldn't get a hang of the GRE words and was always scoring between 315-320 but never crossed the 320 mark. My friends suggested me to give shot at GMAT and after reviewing the verbal format and question types , I was confident that I can do a better job in GMAT verbal in comparison to GRE verbal. Also I had two prep buddies who were travelling with me in the same boat and discussions with them helped me a lot in terms of focusing my effort and to keep the tempo high.

I wanted to see where I stand before starting my prep and took GMAT Prep Exam 1 to gauge my self. I scored 710(Q50 , v35)(21st May). This gave some confidence , I can score well. As most of the mistakes in verbal were in SC , my friends suggested that I should focus on SC and try to improve my Verbal score.

After this I got busy with my work and couldn't focus much on prep. I figured that until I have a deadline set , I will not study hard. I scheduled my test for 5th August. I purchased the Manhattan SC Guide and enrolled myself in the E-GMAT Verbal program. The E-GMAT subscription gave me access to GMAT club tests.

In the next two weeks , I started preparing from the Manhattan book and E-GMAT material . I was spending around 4 hours a day on my prep. For quant I was just working on the OG questions which were pretty easy(baring a few questions). On June 30th I decided to test my self again and took the Manhattan GMAT Test which I got for free with the book. I scored 620(Q41 , V34) (2nd July). I was quite surprised with the result. I was under the impression that quant is my strong forte and this test result was an eye opener for me. I also made no real progress in terms of my Verbal score , most of my mistakes were still in SC. My advice for guys take MGMAT test is not to panic if you score low , I realized that the quant questions are way more tough than the actual GMAT and the scoring algorithm also doesn't seem right.

I figured that it is important to keep practicing quant as well if I want to score well. From then on I started taking GMAT club quant CAT's every alternate day. I took a total of 16 GMAT club quant tests and scored 47 in 4 tests , 48 in 2 tests , 49 in 5 tests and 50 in 5 tests. These are the best quant questions you can practice and these tests are the only reason for my Q51. I constantly kept adding the questions I was doing wrong into a collection(its a really cool feature) and kept revisiting them to revise those concepts. Even on the day before my test I just revised these questions (in the collection). Along with these I was doing GMAT Prep Qustion Pack 1 questions.(QP1 has some really good medium and hard questions for quant).

For Verbal I kept practicing OG and Verbal review questions starting with OG 12 and from there on I kept looking for next questions added in subsequent editions. GMAT Club was really helpful in this regard. Only problem I was facing was that some questions don't have clear solutions in GMAT Club posts so I had to refer to the books again for clarifications. Working in an academic institution was handy as all the OG books were available in the library.

Along with this preparation , I started taking GMAT Prep EP1 and EP2 tests every weekend. Below mentioned are the score for the same.

GMAT Prep Exam 2 : 730 (Q50 , V39) (16th July)
GMAT Prep Exam 3 : 700 (Q49 , V35)(22nd July)
GMAT Prep Exam 4 : 710 (Q49 , V38)(30th July)
(I got only 3 mistakes in this test in quant and I was surprised to see 49)
GMAT Prep Exam 5 : 700 (Q50 , V33)(1st Aug)

Final test
GMAT Prep Exam 6: 720(Q50 , V 38)(3rd Aug)

With these results I was confident that I can score some where around 700 mark and wanted to cross that 700 mark coz if I dont , it will be similar to my GRE story. By the way I never practiced IR till my exam. I felt that if I one is good in CR and Quant , IR will not be a problem. On the day before test dday , I just looked up a template for AWA on GMAT Club and revised the quant questions from my mistakes pool. For verbal I downloaded SlingFox's SC , CR and RC notes and reviewed the same.

Test Day: Aug 5th. I opted for the order stating with Quant. I kept a good pace while solving quant but I was getting some very very easy questions (distributed through out the test) and those questions were making me nervous , I was not sure if those were experimental questions or if i screwed up my test and I am getting such questions. I finished Quant 2 minutes before time. Took a 4 minute break and started Verbal , all through out the test I was never confident. When I was giving mock test , I was very confident about my CR and RC answers but I the main exam the RC's were toughest I have ever solved and CR questions were also very confusing. SC's as usual I was not confident. When I finished the verbal section , I felt that I screwed it up badly. Another 4 minutes break and started IR section which was very easy and by the time I started my AWA , I felt exhausted. I was depressed to some extent about the Verbal section and didnt write the essay well(need to see how much I will score).

The moment I pressed submit on my AWA section , the unofficial score popped up and I couldn't believe my own eyes. 740 with 51 in Quant and 39 in Verbal and 8 in IR. I felt good , really good, mainly because of my failure to score well in GRE.

My advise for fellow test takers: Keep practicing and keep a log of every error you make. GMAt club stores all your responses and you can revisit them again. Maintain a list of learnings from your mistake and just make sure you don't ever repeat the same mistake.

Resources I used :
OG (finishing all OG questions is a must to do well in verbal)
E-GMAT - For SC
Manhattan SC Guide
GMAT Prep Question Pack(Really helpful for Verbal)

CAT's and Mock Test:
GMAT Prep - 6 Tests
GMAT Club - Quant CAT's ( a must if you want to score 50/51 in quant)

In the end I would like to than the GMAT Club community for the resources provided.

PS: Sorry for such a long post :oops:

Congratulations..!! Although from your story it's pretty clear that you are/were already good in standardized tests like GRE/GMAT and for improvement you did NOt have to take any special strategy. However, I will, still, make a takeway from it. Use GMAT clb tests. :)

Thanks.

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 22:16
Just went through your de-brief, very helpful indeed.

Your quant was super strong, I'm in the middle of gmat prep, and have a month left before i take my attempt. There are too many resources to study from and it's a bit overwhelming. Could you please advice if the following resources I have picked to work on quant are sufficient:
1. Gmat OG
2. Magoosh software.
3. Gmat prep question bank.

I dont think I have the time for the gmatclub questions, else would have factored those in.

How does this list seem to you? any idea would be super helpful.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 23:01
It's funny how you felt so terrible about your Quant performance yet scored the highest you ever did. Further evidence that the level of difficulty of questions tends to increase when you're doing very well. Congratulations on the job well done!

Are you aiming for a 700+ GMAT score and a top 10 MBA?
If you are, we should talk. I specialize in ambitious students.

$80/hour as of May 2018.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GPA: 3.56
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 09:44
Amorino wrote:
Just went through your de-brief, very helpful indeed.

Your quant was super strong, I'm in the middle of gmat prep, and have a month left before i take my attempt. There are too many resources to study from and it's a bit overwhelming. Could you please advice if the following resources I have picked to work on quant are sufficient:
1. Gmat OG
2. Magoosh software.
3. Gmat prep question bank.

I dont think I have the time for the gmatclub questions, else would have factored those in.

How does this list seem to you? any idea would be super helpful.

Thanks

Have you taken any mock test? If not please do. there are plenty available free, I would recommend GMATprep test 1 or Veritas prep. This will help you to assess your weak areas.
And focus on building concepts with some reource (course or books). Take Free trial to see if that suits your needs.
OG questions are advised to be used in the final phase of preparation.

Please press kudos, if this has helped you, at least in some way.

The Graceful
----------------------------------------------------------
Every EXPERT was a beginner once...
Don't look at the clock. Do what it does, keep going
To achieve great things, two things are needed:a plan and not quite enough time - Leonard Bernstein.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT 740- 1st Attempt &nbs [#permalink] 28 Sep 2018, 09:44

GMAT 740- 1st Attempt

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap