Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:38 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
School Moderator - INSEAD Masters
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 147
GMAT 1: 460 Q31 V21 (Online)
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [2]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 138
Schools: Tepper '26
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
souravdash
The new change in exam pattern is inevitable.
What can be done at this moment is prepare well as the existing format is going to exist until early 2024 say March 24.
So considering that you have not given gmat exam before then you have 5 attempts available on rolling calendar basis .

Also note that its highly possible that new gmat Focus might be only available as an online exam.. so far there is little or no clarity about anything except speculation..
I guess it's best to wait for new OG to release and also wait for official announcement about what exactly Gmat Focus is and how can one give it (at center/online or both)..

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by Archit3110 on 10 Mar 2023, 09:54.
Last edited by Archit3110 on 10 Mar 2023, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4156 [1]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos
Archit3110 wrote:
So considering that you have not given gmat exam before then you have 5 attempts for 2023 and 3 attempts for 2024 ..

A small correction to these numbers

GMAC doesn't consider calendar year to consider the limits.

Ex: if a person gives his / her 5th attempt in the month of Dec'23, he/she will not be able to give the 6th attempt in Jan'24 (just because the year has changed).

The attempt limits are 5 in a rolling 12-month period.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
Send PM
Thanks for correcting.. gmatophobia

Yes its 5 attempts in a rolling year (out of which 2 can be online ) rescheduling possible after 16 days.

gmatophobia wrote:
Archit3110 wrote:
So considering that you have not given gmat exam before then you have 5 attempts for 2023 and 3 attempts for 2024 ..

A small correction to these numbers

GMAC doesn't consider calendar year to consider the limits.

Ex: if a person gives his / her 5th attempt in the month of Dec'23, he/she will not be able to give the 6th attempt in Jan'24 (just because the year has changed).

The attempt limits are 5 in a rolling 12-month period.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29996 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I don't think anyone has mentioned the underlined part of the official statement:

It seems that "homing in on data literacy" will be accomplished by the GMAT's new Data Insights (aka IR+DS) section, but what about "higher-order critical reasoning skills"?
If the test-makers intend to continue asking the same types of Critical Reasoning questions, they wouldn't bother adding this line to their press release.

I have a feeling that higher-order critical reasoning skills is referring to the new sections titled Inductive Reasoning and Deductive Reasoning that were introduced in the 2022 OG. You can find them on pages 399 to 423 of the OG2022.

Historically, most of the GMAT'S CR questions require inductive reasoning.
The new Deductive Reasoning section of the OG2022 covers a lot of formal logic (e.g., If A then B is logically equivalent to if not B then not A), and I have a hunch we will be seeing a greater proportion of CR questions requiring deductive reasoning in the OG2023.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32898 [1]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
I don't think anyone has mentioned the underlined part of the official statement:

It seems that "homing in on data literacy" will be accomplished by the GMAT's new Data Insights (aka IR+DS) section, but what about "higher-order critical reasoning skills"?
If the test-makers intend to continue asking the same types of Critical Reasoning questions, they wouldn't bother adding this line to their press release.

I have a feeling that higher-order critical reasoning skills is referring to the new sections titled Inductive Reasoning and Deductive Reasoning that were introduced in the 2022 OG. You can find them on pages 399 to 423 of the OG2022.

The new Deductive Reasoning section of the OG2022 covers a lot of formal logic (e.g., If A then B is logically equivalent to if not B then not A), and I have a hunch we will be seeing a greater proportion of CR questions requiring deductive reasoning in the OG2023.

Those fans of the LSAT questions should say "wooohooooo"""
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Kudos
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:

In that case, Verbal will be more similar to LSAT. So higher level of CR will mean most of the logic test type LSAT CR will be now in GMAT CR. Also LSAT Logic game might also be part of the equation ....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
Send PM
Kudos
Hi BrentGMATPrepNow
Isn't so that the OG 2022 had no new questions?

By page numbers you referring to CR questions?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-officia ... l#p2733439

BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
Send PM
It would very inappropriate for GMAC to introduce LSAT kinda CR question in GMAT Focus..

Lets wait for OG to be released no point speculating about something which isn't official yet... 🤔

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29996 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Archit3110 wrote:
Hi BrentGMATPrepNow
Isn't so that the OG 2022 had no new questions?

By page numbers you referring to CR questions?

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-officia ... l#p2733439

The OG2021 and OG2022 had the same CR questions, but the OG2021 never had the Inductive Reasoning and Deductive Reasoning sections.

The Inductive Reasoning and Deductive Reasoning sections are on pages 399 to 423 of the OG2022.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29996 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Archit3110 wrote:
Lets wait for OG to be released no point speculating about something which isn't official yet... 🤔

I plan to continue speculating if it's okay with you :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [1]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you so much for pointing this out. I feel like every time I go through the announcement I keep noticing something new and every time I go through the table of contents I’m noticing some thing you as well. First time, I did not spot the geometry has been cut.

I can see this being an attempt to win some market share from both GRE and LSAT and potentially consolidate executive assessment into this product as well. It would make G max job easier if they don’t have to administer two tests…

BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [5]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Archit3110 wrote:

Me too! What’s the fun of reading the facts ? 😂 it is the puzzle and the mystery solving that is more entertaining
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
This is also an economic measure. Lengthier tests cost them more money, now it will be much cheaper for GMAC to administer, a move forward amidst the economic downturn ....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
Send PM
Kudos
BrentGMATPrepNow
Yeah sure :)
Let me make one as well..

Hope the new version is not limited to be an only online exam :shock: that way GMAC can save some more cost of renting centers :|

BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:
Archit3110 wrote:

Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4156 [1]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos
Archit3110 wrote:
BrentGMATPrepNow
Yeah sure :)
Let me make one as well..

Hope the new version is not limited to be an only online exam :shock: that way GMAC can save some more cost of renting centers :|

I thought we are speculating stuff that is not published :dontknow:

The fact that the exam will continue in both modes has already been clarified by GMAC :lol:

You can now select programs after you receive your scores at both test centers and online, and each Official Score report will only contain one exam score, which means you decide if you want to share previous scores with schools.

Source: https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-focus-edition

P.S - My apologies if I bursted your "speculation bubble" too soon :eh:
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32898 [1]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
they are not speculations. It is called hype

And it is so much fun :lol: :lol: :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
BrentGMATPrepNow wrote:

Hi BrentGMATPrepNow,

GMAC has (for > 10 years) used the phrase "higher-order reasoning skills" to describe what the GMAT tests. That is, while we may see quant/verbal questions on the GMAT, the exam is actually designed to test the (underlying) higher-order reasoning skills of test takers.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30