Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 14:26 It is currently 21 May 2024, 14:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8  ...  31   
Board of Directors
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 4462
Own Kudos [?]: 33101 [0]
Given Kudos: 4482
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37464
Own Kudos [?]: 73305 [0]
Given Kudos: 19002
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Board of Directors
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 4462
Own Kudos [?]: 33101 [1]
Given Kudos: 4482
Send PM
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Aug 2021
Posts: 3
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Location: Israel
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Hi,

I am planning on taking the current test format of the GMAT in 3 months.

I will be purchasing an Official Guide as part of my preparation for the current GMAT test format.

Given that the GMAT Focus Edition in the Official Guide 2023-2024 will be excluding Geometry and Sentence Correction, do you think I should purchase the 2022 Official Guide or should I purchase the 2023-2024 Official Guide once released?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Ariel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Status:GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Posts: 21843
Own Kudos [?]: 11690 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
1
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi ArielSlama,

If you are planning to take the current version of the Official GMAT, then you should certainly purchase one of the recent versions of the Official Guide (for example, the GMAT 2022 version of that book). Have you actually started your studies yet or are you planning to do so soon?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Status:Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Posts: 18886
Own Kudos [?]: 22287 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Location: United States (CA)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ArielSlama wrote:
Hi,

I am planning on taking the current test format of the GMAT in 3 months.

I will be purchasing an Official Guide as part of my preparation for the current GMAT test format.

Given that the GMAT Focus Edition in the Official Guide 2023-2024 will be excluding Geometry and Sentence Correction, do you think I should purchase the 2022 Official Guide or should I purchase the 2023-2024 Official Guide once released?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Ariel


Hi Ariel,

You can stick with the 2022 version of the OG. If you need any additional advice, feel free to reach out!
Director
Director
Joined: 01 Mar 2015
Posts: 532
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [5]
Given Kudos: 759
Location: India
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
5
Kudos
carcass wrote:
We are becoming better and better in doing so, improving our quant skills but maybe less and less apt to write something good or understand the meaning of a sentence.

Just my humble and , maybe, off-topic consideration.

Continuing the off-topic considerations ...
Verbal skills are certainty needed. Managers (and everyone else) should learn to write clearly and to understand sentences. I just doubt whether preparing for GMAT SC helps much to build those abilities. Extensive reading certainly does help- hence the importance of RC.

The discussions and queries on topics such as 'what can a -ing modifier modify' are often strange or ridiculous: in the sense that nobody in the non-GMAT world is bothered about such topics and no clear rules exist for them.
We sometimes find experts disagreeing about the justification for answers. That does not happen for Quant or CR or RC.


Posted from my mobile device
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Aug 2021
Posts: 3
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Location: Israel
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Much appreciated. Thank you!

I started my studies last year but had to put them aside due to other obligations.

For the last couple of weeks, I have been getting back to the swing of things by reviewing my notes.

Just to make sure I fully understand - you don't think I should wait ~10 days for the 2023-2024 Official Guide to come out?

Thanks again!

Ariel
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37464
Own Kudos [?]: 73305 [0]
Given Kudos: 19002
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Wait for what purpose? To start reviewing your notes? To take a course/buy study books? What do you expect it to find in the Official Guide?


ArielSlama wrote:
Much appreciated. Thank you!

I started my studies last year but had to put them aside due to other obligations.

For the last couple of weeks, I have been getting back to the swing of things by reviewing my notes.

Just to make sure I fully understand - you don't think I should wait ~10 days for the 2023-2024 Official Guide to come out?

Thanks again!

Ariel
User avatar
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Aug 2021
Posts: 3
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Location: Israel
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Hi, bb

Wait to purchase the 2023-2024 Official Guide instead of purchasing the 2022 Official Guide.

Thank you,

Ariel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 5198
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 639
Location: India
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ArielSlama wrote:
Hi, bb

Wait to purchase the 2023-2024 Official Guide instead of purchasing the 2022 Official Guide.

Thank you,

Ariel

Hi ArielSlama,

I'd get the 2022 if I were you. There's a lot that we still don't know about the 2023 (no confirmed release date, as far as I know), and you're taking the (current) GMAT in 3 months.

You could always get the new edition later if you think it could be useful. And instead of the 2022, you could get one of the older editions right now, like the 2019, 2020, or 2021. There were relatively few changes 2019 → 2020 and 2020 → 2021. The 2021 edition is, for all practical purposes, the same as the 2022.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 20 Mar 2020
Posts: 92
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [1]
Given Kudos: 95
Location: India
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Update -

GMAT focus edition will be available after 15 months. Also, the current format of the GMAT will be available for 2 more years after the release of the GMAT Focus as confirmed by GMAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdFTlTs79w
Quant Chat Moderator
Joined: 22 Dec 2016
Posts: 3138
Own Kudos [?]: 4449 [0]
Given Kudos: 1856
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
BIGDAMNGOD wrote:
Update -

GMAT focus edition will be available after 15 months. Also, the current format of the GMAT will be available for 2 more years after the release of the GMAT Focus as confirmed by GMAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdFTlTs79w


I hope Sandeep Gupta stands to this version in case the rollout happens this year :)
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37464
Own Kudos [?]: 73305 [0]
Given Kudos: 19002
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Expert Reply
BIGDAMNGOD wrote:
Update -

GMAT focus edition will be available after 15 months. Also, the current format of the GMAT will be available for 2 more years after the release of the GMAT Focus as confirmed by GMAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdFTlTs79w



Very interesting. That's not what mba.com says....
https://www.mba.com/exams/gmat-focus-edition
Quote:
The current version of the GMAT™ exam will continue to be available until early next year to facilitate your in-progress preparation and applications for business school. Rest assured, GMAT™ Official Prep will be available to support you in achieving success on either version of the GMAT.


Not that I doubt that the GMAC will not have delays but that's not what they are planning/announced. I hope we will know a lot more next week - March 28th was one of the potential dates to watch.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Feb 2023
Posts: 16
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
2
Kudos
BIGDAMNGOD wrote:
Update -

GMAT focus edition will be available after 15 months. Also, the current format of the GMAT will be available for 2 more years after the release of the GMAT Focus as confirmed by GMAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdFTlTs79w


Source: Watsapp university of India?

Also, the video has been removed.
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37464
Own Kudos [?]: 73305 [1]
Given Kudos: 19002
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
1
Kudos
Expert Reply
blackswan33 wrote:
BIGDAMNGOD wrote:
Update -

GMAT focus edition will be available after 15 months. Also, the current format of the GMAT will be available for 2 more years after the release of the GMAT Focus as confirmed by GMAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdFTlTs79w


Source: Watsapp university of India?

Also, the video has been removed.


Thx. Interesting. I wonder it was removed because it was incorrect or it was removed because it was correct 😱😱😱😂

I guess time will tell but I would suspect that even if the new GMAT was coming next year, I see no reason why GMAT would lead us into confusion and say it will be available this year… so perhaps someone misread some things or maybe there is indeed a conspiracy 🥴

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Joined: 10 Feb 2023
Posts: 16
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
1
Kudos
bb wrote:
blackswan33 wrote:
BIGDAMNGOD wrote:
Update -

GMAT focus edition will be available after 15 months. Also, the current format of the GMAT will be available for 2 more years after the release of the GMAT Focus as confirmed by GMAC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxdFTlTs79w


Source: Watsapp university of India?

Also, the video has been removed.


Thx. Interesting. I wonder it was removed because it was incorrect or it was removed because it was correct 😱😱😱😂

I guess time will tell but I would suspect that even if the new GMAT was coming next year, I see no reason why GMAT would lead us into confusion and say it will be available this year… so perhaps someone misread some things or maybe there is indeed a conspiracy 🥴

Posted from my mobile device


I think the video was removed because the author didn't have enough evidence to support his/her claim :lol:

Conspiracy theorists, huddle! :lol: :lol:

TBH, BB, I think GMAT should've broken the news after providing everyone with enough information instead of sending updates that leave room for speculation. It was interesting in the beginning, maybe, but it feels like forever now that there aren't any updates yet :facepalm:
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37464
Own Kudos [?]: 73305 [0]
Given Kudos: 19002
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Expert Reply
vv65 wrote:
One change/improvement I hope to see is the ability to highlight and annotate text on screen. That would be really useful for Reading Comprehension.

Posted from my mobile device


I think it would be awesome but I strongly doubt it is an option :cry:
Founder
Founder
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 37464
Own Kudos [?]: 73305 [2]
Given Kudos: 19002
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
2
Kudos
Expert Reply
Totally agree about the announcement rollout. I wonder if the Amazon glitch has significantly accelerated the rollout process and was basically not intended to be communicated for a while? We won't know this for a little while...

Meanwhile the official guide is back on Amazon Italy with the publication date of May 23
https://www.amazon.it/Official-Graduate ... 273&sr=8-1

And Amazon Sweeden has Quantitative Guide with the release date of April 11
https://www.amazon.se/GMAT-Official-Gui ... =8-2-fkmr1

I am thinking these are WRONG old carryover-placeholder dates but who knows :dontknow:

blackswan33 wrote:

I think the video was removed because the author didn't have enough evidence to support his/her claim :lol:

Conspiracy theorists, huddle! :lol: :lol:

TBH, BB, I think GMAT should've broken the news after providing everyone with enough information instead of sending updates that leave room for speculation. It was interesting in the beginning, maybe, but it feels like forever now that there aren't any updates yet :facepalm:
Board of Directors
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 4462
Own Kudos [?]: 33101 [0]
Given Kudos: 4482
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
Totally agree about the announcement rollout. I wonder if the Amazon glitch has significantly accelerated the rollout process and was basically not intended to be communicated for a while? We won't know this for a little while...

Meanwhile the official guide is back on Amazon Italy with the publication date of May 23
https://www.amazon.it/Official-Graduate ... 273&sr=8-1

And Amazon Sweeden has Quantitative Guide with the release date of April 11
https://www.amazon.se/GMAT-Official-Gui ... =8-2-fkmr1

I am thinking these are WRONG old carryover-placeholder dates but who knows :dontknow:



That is relevant :cool:

However, at this point, I believe is meaningless (sort of) to stay behind and see when the OGs will be released. They change dates faster than Dave Mustaine changing riffs on the fretboard of his guitar

Gmat Official Guide 2023 Copertina flessibile – 21 maggio (May) 2023
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8  ...  31