Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:23 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4101 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [2]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition - Everything You Need to Know [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
I do not know if this information was reported before in this discussion

Exam Structure

Exam Overview

The GMAT™ Focus Edition is 2 hours and 15 minutes long (with one optional 10-minute break) with 64 questions in total:

Quantitative Reasoning: 21 questions, 45 minutes

Verbal Reasoning: 23 questions, 45 minutes

Data Insights: 20 questions, 45 minutes
New! The exam no longer includes an essay section.

New Exam Features

Question Review & Edit: Bookmark and review as many questions as you want, and you can change up to three answers per section.

Select Section Order: Take the exam in whatever section order you prefer.

Improved Score Report: Detailed performance insights included with each exam.

Easier Score Sending: You can now select programs after you receive your scores at both test centers and online, and each Official Score report will only contain one exam score.

How does Question Review & Edit work?

As you move through a section, you can bookmark questions that you would like to review later.

When you have answered all questions in a section, you will proceed to the Question Review & Edit screen for that section. Note: If there is no time remaining in the section, you will NOT proceed to the Question Review & Edit screen and you will automatically be moved to your optional break screen or the next section (if you have already taken your optional break).

Each Question Review & Edit screen includes a numbered list of the questions in that section and indicates the questions you bookmarked.

Clicking a question number will take you to that specific question.

What does the exam cover?

Quantitative Reasoning

New for GMAT™ Focus Edition! This section no longer contains Data Sufficiency questions.
This section measures your algebraic and arithmetic foundational knowledge and how you apply this knowledge to solve problems. It is composed of 21 Problem Solving questions.

These types of questions require some knowledge of arithmetic and elementary algebra. Answering these questions correctly relies on logic and analytical skills, not the underlying math skills. You cannot use a calculator while working on this section.

Verbal Reasoning

New for GMAT™ Focus Edition! This section no longer contains Sentence Correction questions.
This section measures your ability to read and comprehend written material and to reason and evaluate arguments. It is composed of 23 Reading Comprehension and Critical Reasoning questions.

Reading Comprehension questions measure your ability to understand words and statements, understand logical relationships between significant points, draw inferences, and follow the development of quantitative concepts. Specifically, the following reading skills will be tested: main idea, supporting idea, inference, application, logical structure, and style.

Critical Reasoning questions measure your ability to make arguments, evaluate arguments, and formulate or evaluate a plan of action. Critical Reasoning questions are based on a short reading passage, usually fewer than 100 words. Typically, the short text comes with a question that asks you which of the five answer options strengthens or weakens an argument, tells why the argument is flawed, or strongly supports or damages the argument. You will not need specialized knowledge of the subject matter to answer the questions.

Data Insights

New for GMAT™ Focus Edition!
The Data Insights section measures candidates’ ability to analyze and interpret data and apply it to real-world business scenarios. With the GMAT™ Focus Edition’s updated test design, Data Insights leverages Integrated Reasoning and Data Sufficiency question types to measure a newly calibrated digital and data literacy dimension—one of the most relevant and in-demand skills in business today.

It is composed of 20 questions that ask you to assess how multiple sources and types of information – including graphic, numeric, and verbal – relate to one another and can be leveraged to make informed decisions. Questions may require math, data analysis, verbal reasoning, or all three. You can use an on-screen calculator while working on this section.

The question types you'll find on this section are:

Data Sufficiency: Measures your ability to analyze a quantitative problem, recognize which data is relevant, and determine at what point there is enough data to solve the problem.

Multi-Source Reasoning: Measures your ability to examine data from multiple sources including text passages, tables, graphics, or some combination of the three—and to analyze each source of data carefully to answer multiple questions. Some questions will require you to recognize discrepancies among different sources of data, while others will ask you to draw inferences, or require you to determine whether data is relevant.

Table Analysis: Measures your ability to sort and analyze a table of data, similar to a spreadsheet, in order to determine what information is relevant or meets certain conditions.

Graphics Interpretation: Measures your ability to interpret the information presented in a graph or other graphical image (scatter plot, x/y graph, bar chart, pie chart, or statistical curve distribution) to discern relationships, and make inferences.

Two-Part Analysis: Measures your ability to solve complex problems. They could be quantitative, verbal, or some combination of both. The format is intentionally versatile to cover a wide range of content. Your ability to evaluate trade-offs, solve simultaneous equations, and discern relationships between two entities is measured.

You can review as many questions as you would like and can edit up to three (3) answers.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 430 [0]
Given Kudos: 1197
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

Just want to confirm that the current version of Gmat will be in place till January 2024. Since, I have been preparing for the test from a long time. Please clarify.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72919 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Just want to confirm that the current version of Gmat will be in place till January 2024. Since, I have been preparing for the test from a long time. Please clarify.

Well… what does the official site have?
I’m pretty sure it will be available well into 2024 😇

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
bb wrote:
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Well… what does the official site have?
I’m pretty sure it will be available well into 2024 😇

Thanks for the response, BB!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q80 V79 DI76
Send PM
bb do we know for sure Geometry is dropped from the new focused format? Kaplan released a blog 3 days back saying Geometry is dropped.

Here is the link - https://www.kaptest.com/study/gmat/what ... s-edition/
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
RahulJain293 wrote:
bb do we know for sure Geometry is dropped from the new focused format? Kaplan released a blog 3 days back saying Geometry is dropped.

Here is the link - https://www.kaptest.com/study/gmat/what ... s-edition/

Ultimately, it probably won't be definitively confirmed until the Focus Edition prep becomes available.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2414 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I wonder how many of the 20 questions in the new "Data Insights" section will be in the Data Sufficiency format. Also, having an on-screen calculator for those questions will certainly require a modified approach.

There's still no word from GMAC regarding any potential changes to the lifetime (8) and annual (5) testing limits as they pertain to the GMAT Focus—so for now, it's safe to assume that the current rules will remain in place.
Director
Director
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a few queries regarding current version of Gmat test.

1) Are the universities accept the current version score even in the next year i.e. 2024?

2) And, is the validity of scores of current version will remain for 5 years?

Please clarify..

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

1) Are the universities accept the current version score even in the next year i.e. 2024?

Please clarify..

Thanks!

Hi poojaarora1818,

The current version of the GMAT will almost certainly be accepted in 2024. GMAT scores will also remain valid for 5 years, although some programs may ask specifically for GMAT Focus Edition scores. I don't think that will happen any time soon though.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72919 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don’t see a situation where a School would specifically ask for the GMAT focus edition of the test scores. At least with the information we know right now.

This opinion comes from the fact that GMAT focus does not actually add anything new to the test. Instead, it removes content… see if you can handle the traditional classic GMAT, you can definitely handle the focus version.

I’m not sure how accurate analogy is but this is almost like somebody who’s able to lift 200 pounds and now the school removed some plates off the bar and now they’re asking if you can lift the new weight. That would be silly of them esp in the world where people can get a test waiver 🤔

AjiteshArun wrote:
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Please clarify..

Thanks!

Hi poojaarora1818,

The current version of the GMAT will almost certainly be accepted in 2024. GMAT scores will also remain valid for 5 years, although some programs may ask specifically for GMAT Focus Edition scores. I don't think that will happen any time soon though.

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72919 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PS. I guess one good news I’m reading from the updated information is that we will no longer have to deal with canceling scores and reinstating them and all that junk. That cost money and creates confusion and reading the description, it seems that you can report specific scores, just like you do with the online version of the test so that is a positive and one of the few rare instances where the test to become cheaper in an indirect way … unless of course they raise the test price 😂

PS. There should be a savings for the test provider as well since the test is now shorter 🤷‍♂️

Director
Director
Send PM
bb wrote:
I don’t see a situation where a School would specifically ask for the GMAT focus edition of the test scores. At least with the information we know right now.

This opinion comes from the fact that GMAT focus does not actually add anything new to the test. Instead, it removes content… see if you can handle the traditional classic GMAT, you can definitely handle the focus version.

I’m not sure how accurate analogy is but this is almost like somebody who’s able to lift 200 pounds and now the school removed some plates off the bar and now they’re asking if you can lift the new weight. That would be silly of them esp in the world where people can get a test waiver 🤔

AjiteshArun wrote:
poojaarora1818 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Please clarify..

Thanks!

Hi poojaarora1818,

Thank you so much BB and AjiteshArun for the clarification. As you can see there is so much of noise and distractions regarding this test. GMAC had vaguely made these announcements.
Thank you so much for your support and guidence.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
… unless of course they raise the test price 😂

Is it too much to ask for a price drop? Now that I think of it, everything should be cheaper, including the OGs. :)

On a more serious note, I don't see why GMAC shouldn't compete on price as well. The GRE is currently cheaper (~ $220).
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4150 [1]
Given Kudos: 1851
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos
I believe a couple of Official Books (Chinese Versions) are already in circulation in the US market. Not sure if these books throw any additional information on the pattern - specifically w.r.t number of experimental questions and data insights.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GMAT-Officia ... 2220350963

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GMAT-Officia ... 2998732385
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72919 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatophobia wrote:
I believe a couple of Official Books (Chinese Versions) are already in circulation in the US market. Not sure if these books throw any additional information on the pattern - specifically w.r.t number of experimental questions and data insights.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GMAT-Officia ... 2220350963

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GMAT-Officia ... 2998732385

Thank you. I will buy one now and see if I get some thing 🤔

Placed the order.
It says April 19 delivery date. 🤷‍♂️

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [0]
Given Kudos: 4456
Send PM
Top Contributor
I believe by the time the books will be delivered to your eagle nest, we will have the English version :fingers_crossed: :geek:

ISBN: 9781394200214
ISBN-10: 1394200218
Publisher: Wiley
Publication Date: April 11th, 2023
Pages: 409
Language: Chinese

GMAT Official Guide Data Insights Review 2023-2024: Book + Online Question Bank (Chinese Version) (Paperback)

PS: I did not know that there will be OG data Insights...........All is becoming hilarious :lol: :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [1]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
Amazon India says the books will be available on 6-June-2023

GMAT Official Guide Verbal Review 2023-2024: Book + Online Question Bank
https://amzn.eu/d/dgETUre

GMAT Official Quantitative Review: Data Sufficiency 2023-2024, Book + Online Question Bank
https://amzn.eu/d/cv8CGxn

Data Sufficiency and Problem Solving are still in the same book, though they are in different sections of the exam.
Wondering whether there will be something more for the rest of Data Insights
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  30