It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT in 2 weeks - should I reschedule? Advice please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT in 2 weeks - should I reschedule? Advice please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 08:20
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice/input on whether it's best for me to take my scheduled GMAT exam on Nov 16th (in roughly 2 weeks) even though I haven't finished my prep or if I should reschedule to December.

I started my study plan in middle August 2017 and was initially studying about 2-3hrs on weeknights and 5hrs on weekends. I ended up falling way behind as some of the study-load took me longer than expected and felt I was always playing catch up. More recently, I wasn't able to study at all for 3 consecutive weeks due to work & personal commitments.

That being said, I don't feel prepared to sit the exam in 2 weeks. I completed the Manhattan Prep Foundations of Math book but haven't gotten to the Advanced Quant book or Foundations of Verbal books yet. As I'm working full-time (and often overtime), I know 2 weeks is not enough time to get up to speed.

I've practiced some questions (Quant & Verbal) from the OG but have not yet done a full practice test - (have access to the Manhattan CATs & PowerPrep). I also still have to study the IR section and write a practice Essay. I would like to study full time on weeknights and then more time on the weekends - however - strict deadlines have been set at work for the SAME week of my GMAT - (week ending Nov 17) as well as the rest of Nov & 1st week in December (REALLY bad timing :( ) adding to my stress & time constraints.

My initial plan when scheduling my exam was to have the opportunity to take it twice (once in November & again in December) before applying for Round 2 (earliest application deadline is 1st week of January). My target score is at minimum 650 but ideally 700, however, I'm still getting some easy questions wrong in Quant. My Verbal is generally stronger except for RC where I need more work. I was doing fairly well on hard SC & CR but overall my pacing is way off what it should be for both Quant & Verbal.

I'm therefore unsure if I should stick with Nov16th exam and use it as a trial to see how I do with little prep or reschedule to December 7th or 14th (which are the only 2 dates available in December at my test centre). My issue with this is that I will only have 1 shot to write the exam as there would be no option for a retake before January.

Looking forward to any advice please...:?

Thank you.

D

Kudos [?]: 487 [0], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GMAT in 2 weeks - should I reschedule? Advice please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 08:55
JAE18 wrote:
Hi there,
My target score is at minimum 650 but ideally 700, however, I'm still getting some easy questions wrong in Quant. My Verbal is generally stronger except for RC where I need more work. I was doing fairly well on hard SC & CR but overall my pacing is way off what it should be for both Quant & Verbal.

My issue with this is that I will only have 1 shot to write the exam as there would be no option for a retake before January.

Thank you.

First of all you have not mentioned what are your GMATPrep scores at present. if you have not been taking GMATPrep then take one and see where do you stand.

You can take GMAT at the interval of 16 days. so even if you take the exam in nov or 7th dec, you can try in december itself but that you should do when something terribly goes wrong in first attempt while you feel your CATs scores were better.

Though there is no harm in taking real exam as a learning but if one is really far from the target score then what is the point of wasting dollars. it is better to use them in buying exam packs and question pack.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 10:13
HKD1710 wrote:
JAE18 wrote:
Hi there,
My target score is at minimum 650 but ideally 700, however, I'm still getting some easy questions wrong in Quant. My Verbal is generally stronger except for RC where I need more work. I was doing fairly well on hard SC & CR but overall my pacing is way off what it should be for both Quant & Verbal.

My issue with this is that I will only have 1 shot to write the exam as there would be no option for a retake before January.

Thank you.

First of all you have not mentioned what are your GMATPrep scores at present. if you have not been taking GMATPrep then take one and see where do you stand.

You can take GMAT at the interval of 16 days. so even if you take the exam in nov or 7th dec, you can try in december itself but that you should do when something terribly goes wrong in first attempt while you feel your CATs scores were better.

Though there is no harm in taking real exam as a learning but if one is really far from the target score then what is the point of wasting dollars. it is better to use them in buying exam packs and question pack.

Thank you for the reply! I mentioned I haven't taken a practice test yet so don't have any scores to report at the moment. I will take one to see how far off I am.

The issue with rescheduling to December is that, even though i can take the exam every 16 days, the only available dates after Nov 16th are - Nov 30th, Dec 7th & Dec 14th - none of which are 16 days apart. This is why I scheduled my first exam on Nov 16th so to have the chance to retake in December if needed.

D

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 10:33
JAE18 wrote:
Thank you for the reply! I mentioned I haven't taken a practice test yet so don't have any scores to report at the moment. I will take one to see how far off I am.

The issue with rescheduling to December is that, even though i can take the exam every 16 days, the only available dates after Nov 16th are - Nov 30th, Dec 7th & Dec 14th - none of which are 16 days apart. This is why I scheduled my first exam on Nov 16th so to have the chance to retake in December if needed.

You must take the GMATPrep-1 tomorrow and then after 5-6 days. if these scores are consistent and near to the target score, and you feel confident when taking CATs then you go ahead as scheduled otherwise reschedule for December-14 because that gives you ample amount of time to make some progress.

Please update here the gmatprep score here and then we can discuss.

P.S. - keep an eye on rescheduling time window :)

Target - 720-740

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 12:19
HKD1710 wrote:
You must take the GMATPrep-1 tomorrow and then after 5-6 days. if these scores are consistent and near to the target score, and you feel confident when taking CATs then you go ahead as scheduled otherwise reschedule for December-14 because that gives you ample amount of time to make some progress.

Thank you, will do. I'm leaning toward rescheduling as I don't feel confident even with practice questions and also need to work on pacing.

If I do reschedule for December 14th though, I was concerned if that would be enough time for my Official Score Report to be sent to my target schools (assuming I accept the score) - particularly Tepper whose deadline is January 4th (21 days from 12/14).

It's my understanding that it takes up to 20 calendar days for scores to be sent but can take longer if the school requires the scores are sent by mail? Is this something I should be worried about and/or how can I find out if the school's preference is electronic (in which case 20 days should be enough time) or if its mail?

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3679 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 16:27
Hi JAE18,

Until you have a CAT score for reference, we really have no idea what your current 'ability level' is, much less whether you should reschedule your Official GMAT or not. Given everything that you've described - and the recent inconsistencies in your studies - I suspect that you will want to push back your Test Date (so you can save some money and avoid some aggravation).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your application plans:

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) What are the exact application deadlines that you're facing?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3679 [0], given: 173

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 16:57
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi JAE18,

Until you have a CAT score for reference, we really have no idea what your current 'ability level' is, much less whether you should reschedule your Official GMAT or not. Given everything that you've described - and the recent inconsistencies in your studies - I suspect that you will want to push back your Test Date (so you can save some money and avoid some aggravation).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your application plans:

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) What are the exact application deadlines that you're facing?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your reply! I will post my CAT score once I take it this week. I am leaning toward rescheduling at this point but I'm a bit confused as how to proceed w/ my studies. What areas to study next or prioritize etc.

To answer your questions:

1. I'm planning to apply round 2 (depending on my GMAT score in December) to Tepper, UofT, NorthEastern and possibly MIT/NYU (these would be even more dependent on my GMAT performance IMO).

2. The Round 2 deadlines for these schools are as follows:
Jan 4th - Tepper - (concerned about official scores being ready in time for this date if I take the exam on Dec 14th)
Jan 8th - UofT
Jan 15th - NorthEastern & NYU
Jan 17th MIT

D

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 20:38
JAE18 wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:

Thank you, will do. I'm leaning toward rescheduling as I don't feel confident even with practice questions and also need to work on pacing.

If I do reschedule for December 14th though, I was concerned if that would be enough time for my Official Score Report to be sent to my target schools (assuming I accept the score) - particularly Tepper whose deadline is January 4th (21 days from 12/14).

It's my understanding that it takes up to 20 calendar days for scores to be sent but can take longer if the school requires the scores are sent by mail? Is this something I should be worried about and/or how can I find out if the school's preference is electronic (in which case 20 days should be enough time) or if its mail?

Most of the schools do not demand the OFFICIAL SCORE upfront. you must read this thread to be clear of this confusion of sending official score before deadline:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/official-gma ... 74573.html

Target - 720-740

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 04:43
HKD1710 wrote:
Most of the schools do not demand the OFFICIAL SCORE upfront. you must read this thread to be clear of this confusion of sending official score before deadline:

Hi HKD,

Thanks, I'll check out that thread! My concern was specifically for Tepper who states that they need to receive the official score report by the application deadline - which is Jan4th for Round 2.

D

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2017, 05:05
JAE18 wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:

Hi HKD,

Thanks, I'll check out that thread! My concern was specifically for Tepper who states that they need to receive the official score report by the application deadline - which is Jan4th for Round 2.

Hi,

Please post any Tepper specific query on this thread or you might just get an answer on the thread itself.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 41975.html

Target - 720-740

Re: GMAT in 2 weeks - should I reschedule? Advice please   [#permalink] 01 Nov 2017, 05:05

GMAT in 2 weeks - should I reschedule? Advice please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap