Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - Running External Monitor Only [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes. This will be easy to do and the proctor won’t know it is a laptop 😎

So yes. A few people have done the setup this way. Nobody reported it not working. And while I am not the GMAC and can’t issue you a 100% assurance, based on history, it should be just fine with a 99% certainty 😎

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
GMAT Online - Running External Monitor Only [#permalink]
I get what you are trying to say. I used to use similar set-up for office where I used to connect laptop with docking station and use external monitors for display. I doubt that you will be allowed to do so, specially if you are going to use mounted camera. I am not an expert on this, but I think proctor may get doubt if she/he sees two system on your desk (Laptop+ external Monitor) and mounted external camera. These are my views only.

Bahubali06 wrote:
Hi bb,
Yes I would be using all the external peripherals and the laptop will be effectively converted to a cpu while I facing the camera mounted on the monitor, as would be done in case of a desktop pc. so will this be allowed?

bb wrote:
This has been discussed several times in the gmat online topic.

It is pretty easy if you have an external webcam, keyboard and a mouse. It is more tricky if you are simply trying to replace the monitor. That means you will be looking to a side, etc. in that case I would be wondering why...

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
Send PM
Bahubali06 - Were you able to use external monitor without any glitches or objections by the proctor?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PrakharR wrote:
Bahubali06 - Were you able to use external monitor without any glitches or objections by the proctor?

The previous version of GMAT online allowed to use a laptop but it was closed with an external monitor attached.

So far we have gotten reports from several people that they were not able to use the same approach with the new version of GMAT online. The system check errors out and does not like having an external monitor and as far as I know I have not seen reports of successfully accomplishing that.

Anyone been able to use it successfully?

B.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, I wanted to try this external monitor thing, but after lot of research and analysis, I concluded that the trouble/distraction/risk is not worth it; I bought a PC, which is the best solution for this.

bb wrote:
PrakharR wrote:

The previous version of GMAT online allowed to use a laptop but it was closed with an external monitor attached.

So far we have gotten reports from several people that they were not able to use the same approach with the new version of GMAT online. The system check errors out and does not like having an external monitor and as far as I know I have not seen reports of successfully accomplishing that.

Anyone been able to use it successfully?

B.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Kudos
I am feeling very frustrated! I have practiced using my laptop shut closed and using a monitor for my screen, I even took an exam like this. However, now I am trying to retake the exam tomorrow like this BUT it seems impossible.

If I can demonstrate that my laptop is shut, which I can, it shows in the windows control settings, then there is no difference to a normal PC. I do not own a PC and it seem too much money to buy a PC only for this reason. The reason this is important to me is that my laptops screen is relatively small and therefore it would for sure impact my ability to successfully complete the exam.

In general, I am very frustrated with the GMAT! I have done well on the GMAT practice exams with 700+ on most of them. BUT on my actual exam the proctor stopped responding so that I had to change to proctor, but this proctor was very late so that the exam started an hour late, and he interrupted me many times when I was slightly out of the frame (looking down on my whiteboard). All of this made me incredibly uncomfortable (he almost made me cry) and I scored very poorly. Therefore, I bought a wide-angle webcam so that I would not have this problem again and was planning on using the same setup. BUT now they changed their policy again, discriminate all people who do not own a traditional PC/ all who only own a laptop.

Moreover, I have had technical issues. I tried to book my online exam, but I couldn't because in their internal system the information was not saved properly (even though it was correct on the MBA.com website). To resolve this, I had to both contact GMAC, PEARSON and EXAMITY and each would hold another organization accountable but never themselves. I also read that this bug had existed for other people weeks and even months ago, but it had not been resolved.

I tried to contact the support of GMAT directly, but none of their European phone numbers which they list on the MBA.com website seem to be in use (I live in Europe). More and more the GMAT seems like a scam.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
The only solution is to start practicing using laptop screen only, if buying a PC is not an option.
Trying to attach monitor is too much a technical trouble,
you do not want to get into technical trouble, arguments with the GMAC during the exam, when you should focus on exam.
Taking one more trouble during the exam will affect the performance.

GMATE1 wrote:
I am feeling very frustrated! I have practiced using my laptop shut closed and using a monitor for my screen, I even took an exam like this. However, now I am trying to retake the exam tomorrow like this BUT it seems impossible.

If I can demonstrate that my laptop is shut, which I can, it shows in the windows control settings, then there is no difference to a normal PC. I do not own a PC and it seem too much money to buy a PC only for this reason. The reason this is important to me is that my laptops screen is relatively small and therefore it would for sure impact my ability to successfully complete the exam.

In general, I am very frustrated with the GMAT! I have done well on the GMAT practice exams with 700+ on most of them. BUT on my actual exam the proctor stopped responding so that I had to change to proctor, but this proctor was very late so that the exam started an hour late, and he interrupted me many times when I was slightly out of the frame (looking down on my whiteboard). All of this made me incredibly uncomfortable (he almost made me cry) and I scored very poorly. Therefore, I bought a wide-angle webcam so that I would not have this problem again and was planning on using the same setup. BUT now they changed their policy again, discriminate all people who do not own a traditional PC/ all who only own a laptop.

Moreover, I have had technical issues. I tried to book my online exam, but I couldn't because in their internal system the information was not saved properly (even though it was correct on the MBA.com website). To resolve this, I had to both contact GMAC, PEARSON and EXAMITY and each would hold another organization accountable but never themselves. I also read that this bug had existed for other people weeks and even months ago, but it had not been resolved.

I tried to contact the support of GMAT directly, but none of their European phone numbers which they list on the MBA.com website seem to be in use (I live in Europe). More and more the GMAT seems like a scam.
GMAT Club Bot