Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 11:06 It is currently 17 May 2024, 11:06
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V38 (Online)
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 970 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22252 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11684 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT & Pre-MBA Coursework Question [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi tydsheets,

Your immediate questions are ultimately Admissions-based questions, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement.

There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Beyond that, before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying so far and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi tydsheets,

First off, 620 after just a few weeks of prep is a great start! Regarding how to move forward, I think because it will take some time to improve your GMAT score, it may be best to JUST focus on the GMAT for now, so you can ensure that you effectively hit your goal score. You know what I mean? Of course, if you want some advice regarding your study plan, feel free to reach out. Also, you may find it helpful to read the following article:

Scott, thanks for your response. I appreciate the input on focusing on the GMAT to hit my goal score before taking on any additional coursework. My only worry here is that I am quickly running out of time, but that's on me.
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tydsheets,

Your immediate questions are ultimately Admissions-based questions, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement.

There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

Beyond that, before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying so far and your goals:

Studies:
1) How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Appreciate the link, will check that forum out. To answer your questions:
1 - I'm hitting 15 hours per week, and I could probably hit 20 with a bit of stretching.
2 - I have a premium Magoosh subscription, which is my primary resource. I've also got the 2019 OG, and the most recent Manhattan books.
3 - I've only taken one practice GMAT, which was last week - Q35 V40
4 - I know I want to break 700. An increase of 100 to 720 would be ideal, if not higher. But I think 720 would achieve most of my goals.
5 - Yale SOM, Darden, Ross, Haas, Kenan-Flagler, and perhaps Fuqua. Will also put an app out to HBS, but that's pie-in-the-sky. :)

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11684 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi tydsheets,

Since you've taken just one CAT - and you're currently working through a Course right now - it would make sense for you to continue with your current study routine. In 1-2 weeks, you should plan to take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT (and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion that matches what you will face on Test Day). Once you have that Score, you should post back here and we can discuss the results and how you might best adjust your studies going forward.

Going forward, it's worth noting that a CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Rich
Current Student
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tydsheets,

Since you've taken just one CAT - and you're currently working through a Course right now - it would make sense for you to continue with your current study routine. In 1-2 weeks, you should plan to take a NEW, FULL-LENGTH CAT (and make sure to take it in a realistic fashion that matches what you will face on Test Day). Once you have that Score, you should post back here and we can discuss the results and how you might best adjust your studies going forward.

Going forward, it's worth noting that a CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. As such, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Rich

Really helpful- thank you for the advice.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22252 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
tydsheets wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi tydsheets,

First off, 620 after just a few weeks of prep is a great start! Regarding how to move forward, I think because it will take some time to improve your GMAT score, it may be best to JUST focus on the GMAT for now, so you can ensure that you effectively hit your goal score. You know what I mean? Of course, if you want some advice regarding your study plan, feel free to reach out. Also, you may find it helpful to read the following article:

Scott, thanks for your response. I appreciate the input on focusing on the GMAT to hit my goal score before taking on any additional coursework. My only worry here is that I am quickly running out of time, but that's on me.

Just do the best you can, OK? Also, if you need any additional advice, feel free to reach out.
Current Student
Send PM
GMAT & Pre-MBA Coursework Question [#permalink]
Hi all,

I just took another official practice exam, scored 710 (Q42 V45). This comes about 6 weeks after my first test, which was a 620 (Q35 V40). I am planning to continue bulking up on quant and do a few things to get my verbal even higher, but I'm pretty pleased with my progress so far. I have an in-person test scheduled for mid-September, but I might also try a GMAT online if they change to allow folks to retake it. I don't want to hinge my score on a once-only GMAT online test and then not be able to retake in person if/when COVID closes test centers again.

I will say, though, that the practice tests are SO buggy. Every 4-5 questions, the system would freeze on "Please Wait - evaluating your answer." I'd have to refresh, and it would take me to a different question. And it took about 12 hours for the system to give me my score after I completed the practice test. I'm not sure if this should undermine my confidence in this score. Does anyone have experience with this? I also have access to the GMAT Club tests and 6 Manhattan CATs. My goal will be to take one CAT each weekend for at least the next 6 weeks to closely track my progress and because I have access to them.

Appreciate this forum!
GMAT Club Bot
GMAT & Pre-MBA Coursework Question [#permalink]