GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jul 2018
Posts: 63
GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 00:12
2
I gave my GMAT exam on 13th November, 2018. I started preparing for GMAT in September, 2018. For verbal, I would say, GMAT official guide is the best source for preparation. The verbal part was in line with the official guide. However, the quant section was a little shocking for me. I was getting 49 in quant in each of gmat prep exam 1,2 3 and 4. But in actual exam , I got a score of 44. The questions in the actual exam were a lot differnt from the prep exam and the official guide. Some questions were like what appears in IR section. I didnt find those kind of questions even in 7-8 GMAT club tests which i practiced. I got similiar response form on of my friend who gave the exam with me.

I am little depressed with the score. I expected 680-690. Now I am planning to retake the exam. I will be focussing on my weak points . But in both the prep exam and actual exam, I am stuck at 31 in verbal. I need to improve it to get good score. Any guidance in that will be really helpful.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Oct 2014
Posts: 9
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2018, 01:07
My experience is difficulty of real test 's quant is quite close to level of 500-600 of Kaplan's, Manhattan's and gmatclub's. However, I think you will need to get correct answers on most of few hard questions to score above 48. It's quite tricky because there are very few difficult questions during the test and if you make a mistake on a couple of hard questions, it seems algorithm just no longer offer hard questions. Then after that even if you answer rest of medium-level questions correctly, your score will still be stuck below 46.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1484
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 03:33
Hi Ritu, how have you been preparing (which resources)?

Also, since you have been consistently getting around V31, you must have a fair sense of which section in Verbal bothers you the most?
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jul 2018
Posts: 63
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 03:49
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi Ritu, how have you been preparing (which resources)?

Also, since you have been consistently getting around V31, you must have a fair sense of which section in Verbal bothers you the most?


Sentence correction and critical reasoning are bothering me. In sentence correction, modifiers and in critical reasoning, finding assumptions is difficult . Though I easily attempt the easy questions, and about 60% of medium questions ,I am having difficulty in hard questions. Most of the time I mark them wrong.
e-GMAT Representative
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Nov 2011
Posts: 2870
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 04:01
Hi ritu1009,

Your approach seems to be more focused on practice than building ability. Practice is important but it is the second step. First step is to develop conceptual and process clarity. Your score plateau in Verbal or score drop in Quant indicate lack of conceptual and process clarity. I would recommend that you focus on these aspects to build your ability before the next GMAT. I think you will find this article on Retake Strategy to be useful in preparing for the next attempt.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to get in touch with us at support@e-gmat.com for any further queries.

Regards,
Aditee
_________________
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
User avatar
V
Status: GMAT Assassin/Co-Founder
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Joined: 19 Dec 2014
Posts: 15300
Location: United States (CA)
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2018, 15:28
Hi ritu1009,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) What was your Official GMAT Score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
_________________
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Image


The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Schools: Johnson '21 (WL)
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2019, 11:53
ritu1009 wrote:
I gave my GMAT exam on 13th November, 2018. I started preparing for GMAT in September, 2018. For verbal, I would say, GMAT official guide is the best source for preparation. The verbal part was in line with the official guide. However, the quant section was a little shocking for me. I was getting 49 in quant in each of gmat prep exam 1,2 3 and 4. But in actual exam , I got a score of 44. The questions in the actual exam were a lot differnt from the prep exam and the official guide. Some questions were like what appears in IR section. I didnt find those kind of questions even in 7-8 GMAT club tests which i practiced. I got similiar response form on of my friend who gave the exam with me.

I am little depressed with the score. I expected 680-690. Now I am planning to retake the exam. I will be focussing on my weak points . But in both the prep exam and actual exam, I am stuck at 31 in verbal. I need to improve it to get good score. Any guidance in that will be really helpful.

Thanks


I am in the exact same boat as you. I did all 6 mock exams Quant score:
51,51,50,51,51,50
Official quant score Q47.
I feel shattered. The exam questions are on an entirely different level than what we have been preparing.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
D
Status: Founder & CEO
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 14 Oct 2015
Posts: 8117
Location: United States (CA)
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 20:23
Hi KomalSg,

Do you plan to retake the GMAT? Are you looking for some advice regarding your study plan?
_________________

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1484
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 05:18
KomalSg wrote:
I am in the exact same boat as you. I did all 6 mock exams Quant score:
51,51,50,51,51,50
Official quant score Q47.
I feel shattered. The exam questions are on an entirely different level than what we have been preparing.

Hi KomalSg, what was your Verbal score and overall score?

Also, in which sequence did you attempt the sections?
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Jan 2014
Posts: 31
Schools: Johnson '21 (WL)
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 11:58
EducationAisle wrote:
KomalSg wrote:
I am in the exact same boat as you. I did all 6 mock exams Quant score:
51,51,50,51,51,50
Official quant score Q47.
I feel shattered. The exam questions are on an entirely different level than what we have been preparing.

Hi KomalSg, what was your Verbal score and overall score?

Also, in which sequence did you attempt the sections?

I scored :
Q47 V39
Score 700
Quant then verbal, followed by IR and AWA
VP
VP
User avatar
P
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 1484
Location: India
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 21:53
Hi Komal, you already have a score of 700, which is a good score to apply to any school, though I can understand that you would have been expecting 30-40 points more, had you hit your typical score in Quant.

Since you started your exam with Quant, was wondering if butterflies in the stomach (at the beginning of the exam) could be a reason for your performance dip in the first section.
_________________
Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Contact us for Classroom sessions in Bangalore and Private Tutoring worldwide
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2019, 21:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

GMAT PREP and Actual GMAT

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne