GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Apr 2019, 13:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT prep: Compared to Vs Compared with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT prep: Compared to Vs Compared with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 14:03
In the United States, while the number of foreign-born residents and their children is higher than ever, the percentage of the population they represent is not, in 1910 this group made up 35 percent of the population when compared to 20 percent in 2000.
A. population when compared to 20 percent in 2000
B. population as compared to 2000, when it was 20 percent
C. population, comparing it with 20 percent in 2000
D. population, unlike 2000, with 20 percent
E. population, compared with 20 percent in 2000
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: GMAT prep: Compared to Vs Compared with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 16:01
IMO A....B is wrong compariosion
bigfernhead wrote:
B?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 22:46
OA is E.
Can anyone explain this?
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 02:27
sandipchowdhury wrote:
In the United States, while the number of foreign-born residents and their children is higher than ever, the percentage of the population they represent is not, in 1910 this group made up 35 percent of the population when compared to 20 percent in 2000.
D. population, unlike 2000, with 20 percent

sandipchowdhury wrote:
OA is E.
Can anyone explain this?

1. "when" + a subordinate clause, so A out
2. B suggests "the group" is compared to "2000", making B awkard. Furthermore, no reference is for "it", B out
3. No reference is for "it", C out
4. D has the same error as B, D out

E wins the game. "compared with..." correctly modifies "this group", suggesting that " in 1910 this group made up 35 percent of population and 20 percent in 2000"

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 02:31
yes E . here we are comparing similar things so compare with should be used. compare to is used when comparing different things. hence A and B are out. C and D have their issues as given in red highlightying. E is the best choice.
sandipchowdhury wrote:
D. population, unlike 2000, with 20 percent wrong comparison
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2009, 22:03
ritula wrote:
yes E .here we are comparing similar things so compare with should be used. compare to is used when comparing different things.hence A and B are out. C and D have their issues as given in red highlightying. E is the best choice.
sandipchowdhury wrote:

compared to: He compared me to a tiger.
compared with: He compared the fake writing with the real one.
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2014, 11:10
vscid wrote:
ritula wrote:
yes E .here we are comparing similar things so compare with should be used. compare to is used when comparing different things.hence A and B are out. C and D have their issues as given in red highlightying. E is the best choice.
sandipchowdhury wrote:

compared to: He compared me to a tiger.
compared with: He compared the fake writing with the real one.

I know this is an old discussion, but 'compared to' and 'compared with' are still common sources of confusion. Some of the explanations here overcomplicate things a little. The example that vscid has posted above is a good one. Simply put, 'compared to' highlights a similarity, whereas 'compared with' highlights a difference.
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 10:43
For purposes of the GMAT exam, the distinction between COMPARED TO vs COMPARED WITH is meaningless. Both can be used correctly - it depends more on the context of the structure of the sentence surrounding the phrase. For example, two sentences that are exactly the same - but one says TO and the other says WITH -- this kind of scenario will never happen on the exam.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 20:25
I am not exactly sure now of the standards of correct answers given by the test forums and the confidence of answers.

Till date all books said "with" implies difference and "to" implies similarity. But suddenly this forum discussion states just the opposite, along with a veritas question such as below:

He was less successful after he had signed with the Washington Bullets "compared to" the New York Knicks, small forward Bernard King nevertheless earned a steadfast group of admirers who consider him one of the greatest scorers in basketball history.

In the above "compared to" is absolutely fine - two teams are being compared - except Veritas thinks its "compared with"

Its almost like I want a 720 score - god please and god will modify the answers according to my wishes and depends on which god I am praying to and in case its a god with some vengeance - then forbid me lord!

Are the answers standardized or it will also depend on a proctor for a region? For me definitely a Chinese speaking proctor is being given, with very little knowledge of how "concise-to the point -grammatically correct english" works....
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT prep: Compared to Vs Compared with   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2019, 20:25

GMAT prep: Compared to Vs Compared with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap