GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Prep Questions Repeated? (Entire IR Section)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT Prep Questions Repeated? (Entire IR Section)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 10:03
Hey guys, my exam is August 2nd and I planned it before the change but since the change in section order was offered I figured I'd try it, so I updated my GMAT Prep software. If anyone asks if I've reset, I have 'reset' it before because I started one practice test before the update but like 5 minutes into the essay a family thing came up so I ended it and reset it but that's it. I took the first exam before the change was announced and before the software was updated, and had the one free one left. I took the second free one today and I double checked afterwards to make sure it was definitely the second attempt and I hadn't reset it again because a lot of the questions looked familiar to me, especially in quant but there were definitely a few in verbal, and the ENTIRE IR section was the same as the first practice test (I don't mind since none of the schools I'm looking at for my MAcc care, so I'm planning on putting IR at the end and not really putting a ton of effort into it). I'm bad at doing detailed reviews of reading the explanation for every question, so I don't think it impacted my practice score too much, but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue? I'm wondering if maybe the GMAT Prep software uses the same questions as the OG? I bought the OG 17 and have been doing a decent amount of the questions on the GMAT Wiley website that goes with the code lately, so I was wondering if maybe that was where the overlap was from. I didn't really feel like the questions looked familiar when I took the first GMAT Prep test, but then again at that time I was just doing the questions in the book so I was focusing on one section (like RC for half the week then CR) instead of doing a variety of questions.

Edited to add:
So I guess my main question is does anyone else feel like a lot of the GMAT Prep questions are repeats/look familiar? And then follow up questions would be (if you did think they looked familiar and you have already taken the exam) did you find your GMAT Prep score to be really inflated because of this?
If anyone is curious I took the first one on 06/28/17 and got a 560 (Q35 V31) and the one I just took today (07/21/2017) was a 630 (Q36 V40). I only need in the 600s to have an appealing/competitive GMAT score for the MAcc programs I'm looking at, and I have been focusing on verbal a lot as I'm hoping since my reading/verbal carried me on my SAT/ACTs in high school that maybe it'll do the same now, so hopefully the familiar questions in verbal weren't inflating it.
Current Student
P
Concentration: Leadership, Accounting
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Reviews Badge
Re: GMAT Prep Questions Repeated? (Entire IR Section)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 10:20
Yes definitely there is some overlap for sure. Alot of the questions seem very similar so its feel like you have done them before. The jump from v31 to v40 is a huge jump so unless you did something very wrong in v31 test, i would look at why such a huge difference? Did you get some friendly rolls or passages on topics you are familiar with etc.... Dont worry too much about IR. You can get IR5 by getting 4-5 out of 12 questions correct. To get IR6+ you have to get 7-8 correct. Not super hard.

350--> 700

https://gmatclub.com/forum/700-q47-v39-ir-7-awa-246682.html
Intern
Intern
B
Re: GMAT Prep Questions Repeated? (Entire IR Section)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 10:28
jkolachi wrote:
Yes definitely there is some overlap for sure. Alot of the questions seem very similar so its feel like you have done them before. The jump from v31 to v40 is a huge jump so unless you did something very wrong in v31 test, i would look at why such a huge difference? Did you get some friendly rolls or passages on topics you are familiar with etc.... Dont worry too much about IR. You can get IR5 by getting 4-5 out of 12 questions correct. To get IR6+ you have to get 7-8 correct. Not super hard.

I had done the MGMAT free CAT in between the GMAT Prep test I did in June and the one I did today and on that one I think my verbal was either like 35 or 36, and I'd done a little bit of extra focus on verbal before that, so since I took that CAT 2 weeks ago I'd say I've split my study time like 75% verbal 25% quant, so I expected some increase but there were definitely a couple of familiar CR questions. I'm personally not super worried about inflation myself because quant is where I saw the most familiar questions and it didn't improve much at all (because I don't record my errors and read every explanation, like I should be doing) I was just curious if others saw the overlap. I'm not concerned with my IR score at all as none of the schools I want to go to care about them, I just though it was weird for the entire IR section to be the same as the first tests.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT Prep Questions Repeated? (Entire IR Section)   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2017, 10:28

GMAT Prep Questions Repeated? (Entire IR Section)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap