GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 25 Feb 2020, 14:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT Scores--On Par or Should I Retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Mensa, Intertel
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GPA: 2.73
GMAT Scores--On Par or Should I Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 20:10
Hi!

I just got my official scores, and most of the schools I'm applying to are in the elite cluster (Dartmouth/ Carnegie Mellon/ Cornell). Please offer advice on whether I should consider a retake.

Q 42 (51st %)
V 42 (96th %)
AWA 6.0 (perfect score)
IR 8.0 (perfect score)
T 690 (87th %)

I understand there is a lot more to the application than just test scores, but please give advice if you can on these scores.

Thank you!! :)
Intern
Intern
Re: GMAT Scores--On Par or Should I Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2014, 20:51
I think your Quant score may cause an issue, but as you rightly said there is more to applications than just GMAT, so may skip out giving the test again.

The deadlines are close so giving the test again may cause you harm in term of delays.

But in case you are sure that you can show significant improvement in quant , then you may opt for a second attempt. I'd suggest work on your problem areas in quant for a week and appear for a mock test, preferably GMATprep, in case your final score is greater than 720, then book your test date and go ahead. But if your score is around 710 then it does not make much of a difference as compared to 690, and thus utilize your time on applications because 690 is not a bad score after all. Rather is very close to the mean scores in your dream schools!
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: GMAT Scores--On Par or Should I Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 06:07
somelegislator wrote:
Hi!

I just got my official scores, and most of the schools I'm applying to are in the elite cluster (Dartmouth/ Carnegie Mellon/ Cornell). Please offer advice on whether I should consider a retake.

Q 42 (51st %)
V 42 (96th %)
AWA 6.0 (perfect score)
IR 8.0 (perfect score)
T 690 (87th %)

I understand there is a lot more to the application than just test scores, but please give advice if you can on these scores.

Thank you!! :)

I think, 51st percentile in Quant may raise some concerns. You will need to provide strong evidence to convince Adcoms that you have the ability to handle Business Mathematics. GMAT Score, though not the only one, is indeed a crucial factor of MBA application.
IMO, its better to go for retake.

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
MBA Admissions Consultant
B
GMAT Scores--On Par or Should I Retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 13:38
With that split, it's clear verbal has carried you. You should look to retake the test if at all possible. That's a pretty alarming Quant score for those programs. You also have a pretty low GPA based on your profile off to the left and your GMAT score is below or just at the median of the programs you've listed.

Bhavik

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

GMAT Club Bot
GMAT Scores--On Par or Should I Retake?   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2014, 13:38

GMAT Scores--On Par or Should I Retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi