It is currently 16 Aug 2017, 14:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GMAT Study Plan - 2016 Edition

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Schools: ISB '17 (D), IIMA
Re: GMAT Study Plan - 2016 Edition [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 22:33
Surbhi17 wrote:
Hi all,

Please suggest me some material from where I can practice the CR and SC questions , I have already finished OG questions.
And I need some very good set of questions for quant too .
I don't have much time left , my exam is after 20 days , so accordingly please suggest some good set of questions , which could help me to gain confidence.

Hi

You could pick up the Official Verbal and Quant guides and practice if you have already not done. Since you have 20 days, you can practice on the GMAT club tests and GMAT prep too, the tests help give you a very good idea of where you stand and areas of improvement.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2016, 22:51
Thanks for it .....
But plz suggest some good material for CR and SC ,so that I could work upon my weak areas ......

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 00:43
Hi all ,

Please suggest me some websites from where I can practice more questions and see the score , where do I stand .
Is it advisable that I should buy the subscription of GMAT CLub ..... Please help me out .!!!

My exam is after 20 days !!

Intern
Intern

Schools: ISB '17 (D), IIMA

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2016, 03:46
Surbhi17 wrote:
Thanks for it .....
But plz suggest some good material for CR and SC ,so that I could work upon my weak areas ......

Manhattan SC/RC guides and Power score CR Bible for CR would be great for strategies.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,
I am appearing for GMAT on 9th July 2016. I sat down for my prep around 1 month back. I gave GMAT Prep Exam 1 without any prior prep and scored a 700 (Q49, V35). Today I wrote GMAT Prep Exam 2 and scored a 710 (Q49, V37). In between I also appeared for two MGMAT tests and scored a 610 and 640 respectively. I have been constantly preparing for a month and an increase of just 10 points on the official exam left me slightly puzzled. I am aiming for a 740 score in GMAT. As I still have two weeks to go, I just wanted some advice on how the score can be further boosted. I believe that DS is a weak area for me so would specifically like to work upon that. Besides this any other advice will also be useful
Thanks

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 16:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Make sure you don't miss ANY "easy" or "medium" questions. You absolutely can't score high if you miss these. Most aspiring 700 scorers focus all their time on the most complex/confusing questions they can find. I would ONLY focus on these once you've MASTERED the easy/medium and regular "hard" questions.

Keep spreading happiness

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 12:26
Can anybody suggest a CR book containing advanced strategies to solve tough problems with ease in a short time without compromising accuracy? I am not looking for basic strategies / strategies to solve easy questions. I am aiming for 700+ score and hence would require the book to teach me strategies to solve 700+ level questions. Also, I would not expect the book to be bulky. I searched the list of books in the forum but am struggling to find the right one that can meet my requirement.

Should I buy Powerscore or Manhattan or any other book? I have the OG books along with OG online question banks (OG + OG Verbal - 2016&2017) already for practice of questions.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 136

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 2.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 23:57
Is it better to study finish the OG before starting online prep courses? When do squeeze time to study when you re working 8 to 6pm?

Manickam

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 51

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT Study Plan - 2016 Edition [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 09:23
bb wrote:
Step 6: Avoid typical GMAT prep mistakes and pitfalls.
Here is the most common one I see - jumping into questions and tests completely unprepared and expecting results/miracles. GMAT consists of several layers and it is important to master each one before moving on to the next - think of it as of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. There is no use in satisfying your social needs before you can take care of basic needs such as safety and food. The same is here, if you don't know the underlying principles that GMAT is testing (such as grammar, arithmetic, etc) there is no use in solving hundreds of questions or taking multiple GMAT tests. This means that if English is not your native language, you should not work on the RC strategies if you can't understand half of the passage - you need to get comfortable reading long passages of text before moving on.

Agreed! I think this is where I differ in experience from other GMAT tutors / instructors, because I usually work with students who already have very good scores on the GMAT, and are now looking to master the test, so the "jump right in" approach is pretty common for me.

However, real questions only help if you first take the time to understand the building blocks of those questions.

If you don't, then take a big step backward and start reviewing your fundamentals first.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 05 Jun 2017, 16:36, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 51

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 426 [1] , given: 51

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
GMAT Study Plan - 2016 Edition [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2016, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
Manick9 wrote:
Is it better to study finish the OG before starting online prep courses? When do squeeze time to study when you re working 8 to 6pm?

Manick9
If you are working from 8 to 6 pm, then a course might be a waste of your time.

Have you taken a diagnostic GMATPrep exam yet? A lot of my advice would have to do with where you currently stand regarding your score:

1) Low-scoring students often benefit greatly from a course.
2) High-scoring students tend to benefit more from self-study and private instruction.

If I were working from 8 to 6, then I would probably try to do 45 minutes of study in the morning before work, and an hour of review afterward. I know that's a lot to ask, though, so I'd settle for an hour combined each day.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 05 Jun 2017, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 426 [1] , given: 51

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 2.8
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2016, 18:48
Hi mcelroy,

I took 2 Prep test using London Business School Online GMAT Test without any preparation. I got a score in range 480-500. Quant 42-44 and Verbal 18-20. My GMATClub score estimator shows Sub-450. Verbal is my weakness especially SC & CR and for Quant its DS.

Anyway your plan sounds good. I will try to study 1-2 hrs per day.

Cheers!

mcelroytutoring wrote:
Manick9 wrote:

Manick9
If you are working from 8 to 6 pm, then a course might be a waste of your time.

Have you taken a diagnostic GMATPrep exam yet? A lot of my advice would have to do with where you currently stand regarding your score:

1) Low-scoring students often benefit greatly from a course.
2) High-scoring students tend to benefit more from self-study and private instruction.

If I were working from 8 to 6, then I would probably try to do 45 minutes of study in the morning before work, and an hour of review afterward. I know that's a lot to ask, though, so I'd settle for an hour combined each day.

Manickam

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 22:31
HI BB

I'm currently on My 6th week of the Magoosh 3 month study plan and I just finished taking the 1st MGMAT practice test, scoring a 600.
(Quant 39, Verbal 34).

The study plan tells me to take another MGMAT practice test every week from this point.

I'm worried about wasting the tests because I feel like I haven't mastered some types of problems yet, like work, distance and overlapping to be specific.

My question is, would you recommend I finish all the lessons of Magoosh first and then go back to take the tests OR should I follow the study plan as it is structured, taking another MGMAT test every week until I finish them?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 00:53
I have a doubt regarding percentile for each section.. I have been taking MGMAT Cat tests and oberved the % level after each question. So % of the last question (37th or 41st) is my percentile of that section ?

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 42

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2016, 07:09
Hi All,
Actually I gave GMAT exam , and I just scored 540 , quant -47 & verbal-20..after this score I realized that verbal is a major problem for me .
Could anyone please help me out what should I do to improve my verbal section, and after how many days I can plan to give my GMAT again ...

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

GMAT 1: 420 Q31 V19
GMAT 2: 430 Q29 V20

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 11:57
Hi! bb,

Thank you for the detail study plan and guidance. I appreciate it a lot. I did not realize how subtle things during my study added to inefficiencies and ineffectiveness.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.9
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 05:41
Hi,

I gave my GMAT September last week and scored 680(Q50 and V30). I want to cross 740 and I am planning to retake in November. Please help me how should I improve my verbal. I already exhausted egmat verbal resources. I perform badly in verbal in timed environment. Please help me. I am really depressed.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 00:18
540 on GMATPrep 1st Attempt (Without any prior studying):

I scored 540/44% (Q46/71%, V19/17%, IR 7/81%) on my first attempt at the GMATPrep Exam 1.

I wanted to see where I stand before I do any kind of study/plan for the GMAT, specially that my work schedule is hectic (6 days/week, 10-12 hours/day). The Quantitative questions seemed pretty easy for me except when I lost a bit of my focus (mainly due to time) in the last 5 questions. Regarding the verbal part, I got the first 4 questions and the last 4 questions incorrect (Total 20 incorrect questions out of 41).

I had a bit of information about the GMAT exam, but never studied for it. I was just planning to take the GMAT because I want to go to a top-tier business school in 2/2.5 years from now.

As experts, what do you think would be the best approach to get 700+ on the GMAT. Do I have to study for the verbal part only? Or I should do some work on the quantitative part as well?

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Farid

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 21:54
Thank you for posting this. Could you please provide some insight on how best to adapt this into a 1 month study plan?

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 27

WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2016, 09:39
Hi All

I am looking for a study plan for verbal. My present score is V19 and my target score is V40. Please provide the study and materials for verabl

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 27

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2016, 08:52
Hello,

I scored a disappointing 440 on my first Gmat prep test.
Will it be possible to catapult my score to 700 and what level of preparation this exam requires to bridge 440 to 700.
Suggestions please!! :)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: GMAT Study Plan - 2016 Edition   [#permalink] 09 Nov 2016, 08:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 58 posts ]