Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 127
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [7]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]

Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan [#permalink]
Thanks mcelroytutoring! I will keep that in mind while doing the prep.

But what I am more curious to know is the way to approach the GMAT club tests, i.e. making topic wise sectional tests with 500-600 level questions initially?
Also, which topics in quant can be considered relatively more important which demand more variety of questions to be practiced because of the vast number of concepts involved?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks mcelroytutoring! I will keep that in mind while doing the prep.

But what I am more curious to know is the way to approach the GMAT club tests, i.e. making topic wise sectional tests with 500-600 level questions initially?
Also, which topics in quant can be considered relatively more important which demand more variety of questions to be practiced because of the vast number of concepts involved?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [5]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Of course. That's a tough question to answer. In general, I would say spend more time on basic concepts, and less time on esoteric ones. But it's tough to be more specific than that because every GMAT exam is different.

Another factor here is that the more difficult the question, the more specific the technique, so for hard questions it's helpful to memorize the solutions.

This blog from Magoosh should also help:

Breakdown of GMAT Quant Concepts by Frequency

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 09 Jun 2016, 11:32.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 15 Jul 2020, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Of course. That's a tough question to answer. In general, I would say spend more time on basic concepts, and less time on esoteric ones. But it's tough to be more specific than that because every GMAT exam is different.

Another factor here is that the more difficult the question, the more specific the technique, so for hard questions it's helpful to memorize the solutions.

This blog from Magoosh should also help:

Breakdown of GMAT Quant Concepts by Frequency

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 09 Jun 2016, 11:32.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 05 Jun 2017, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 497
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
Send PM
Kudos
Hi! I just started preparing for GMAT. I plan to do a MBA in 2018 after I complete my Bachelors from NTU Singapore. I plan to take the GMAT in Dec 2016. Any advice how to start your preparations? Can you recommend a 6 mth study plan.
I currently have the 3 OG 2015 books. Should I buy any other resources or take up online prep courses?
I got a score of ard 520 in my first mock test. MY Quant was ard 40-42 and my Verbal was below 20. My target score is >700. Also how are my chances of getting into a top university as I only have 3 years of work experience.
Thanks,
Manick
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi! I just started preparing for GMAT. I plan to do a MBA in 2018 after I complete my Bachelors from NTU Singapore. I plan to take the GMAT in Dec 2016. Any advice how to start your preparations? Can you recommend a 6 mth study plan.
I currently have the 3 OG 2015 books. Should I buy any other resources or take up online prep courses?
I got a score of ard 520 in my first mock test. MY Quant was ard 40-42 and my Verbal was below 20. My target score is >700. Also how are my chances of getting into a top university as I only have 3 years of work experience.
Thanks,
Manick
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I am preparing for GMAT since 4 months , and I have scheduled my exam after 20 days from now ,and I have already done many questions for practice , but I believe that there is no improvement in my verbal ability, insteady it seems like that I am loosing my ability to comprehend and understand the simple statement as it was not the case earlier , due to nervousness I guess.
Thus, I am loosing my confidence :(

As I am a student from Engineering background , I am quite comfortable at quant section but lacking in the verbal section mainly the CR and SC section.

So , could anyone suggest me , what should I do ,

OR is there some tutors which can help me to improve upon these areas within 15 days.
As exam date is approaching I am getting more conscious and nervous !!!!..

Any advice/suggestion would be of great help .......

Thanks in Advance :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I am preparing for GMAT since 4 months , and I have scheduled my exam after 20 days from now ,and I have already done many questions for practice , but I believe that there is no improvement in my verbal ability, insteady it seems like that I am loosing my ability to comprehend and understand the simple statement as it was not the case earlier , due to nervousness I guess.
Thus, I am loosing my confidence :(

As I am a student from Engineering background , I am quite comfortable at quant section but lacking in the verbal section mainly the CR and SC section.

So , could anyone suggest me , what should I do ,

OR is there some tutors which can help me to improve upon these areas within 15 days.
As exam date is approaching I am getting more conscious and nervous !!!!..

Any advice/suggestion would be of great help .......

Thanks in Advance :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Manick9 wrote:
Thanks,
Manick

Hi, I believe OG alone would not be sufficient.While you get lot of guidance through this forum,you can always get additional materials and prep well since you have time.I prepared using veratis online along with GMAT club tests and some useful references books(details I can provide if you wish).this helped me move my mocks from 540 to a 620 in a month's time. I heard mgmat is also very good .can provide more info if needed

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Bookmarks
Manick9 wrote:
Thanks,
Manick

Hi, I believe OG alone would not be sufficient.While you get lot of guidance through this forum,you can always get additional materials and prep well since you have time.I prepared using veratis online along with GMAT club tests and some useful references books(details I can provide if you wish).this helped me move my mocks from 540 to a 620 in a month's time. I heard mgmat is also very good .can provide more info if needed

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Send PM
navz2018 wrote:
Manick9 wrote:
Thanks,
Manick

Hi! I just started GMAT prep and I am not sure where to start. This forum has been very useful. What is your opinion on Veritas online? I am deciding which online course to take.
Can provide more details on which reference books to use and about mgmat as well? Could you recommend me a study plan for abt 5-6 mths ? I work 9 to 6 and it very difficult to study on the weekdays.

Thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Send PM
navz2018 wrote:
Manick9 wrote:
Thanks,
Manick

Hi! I just started GMAT prep and I am not sure where to start. This forum has been very useful. What is your opinion on Veritas online? I am deciding which online course to take.
Can provide more details on which reference books to use and about mgmat as well? Could you recommend me a study plan for abt 5-6 mths ? I work 9 to 6 and it very difficult to study on the weekdays.

Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos