It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GPA in application

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 42

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Sloan (S)
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GPA: 3.2
GPA in application [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 09:19
I am filling an application to MIT Sloan Fellows, I graduated 17 years ago, so I hope that for Fellows program is not that critical but...
The application system says - "Do not indicate GPA if your transcript does not indicate it"
Fair enough, as I do not have GPA in my transcript as I received my BCom degree from Ain Shams University in Egypt with the average grade - "Good"
Problem is that the application system still requires GPA blank space to be filled!
What would you do?

The grading system marks in Egypt: Very Weak, Weak, Pass, Good, Very good, Excellent.
I did calculations at some internet source like https://www.foreigncredits.com/resource ... ator/egypt and my grades when I enter them by subject and year translate into something like 3.2 (roughly), so, I guess I should input that number?
I studied in English and transcripts in English, at Q&A questions the admission officers told me that grades verification (by WES for instance) is not required. Otherwise, it would take me ages for verification as WES demands university to send transcript directly or provide in sealed envelope and I live in Kazakhstan...

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 42

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge
Re: GPA in application [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
Purely on your question about GPA, the advice I have been given by AOs from other schools is input 0.00 for GPA, which indicates to them that GPA is not indicated on your script and that they need to look at the actual transcript.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 3

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 92 [1], given: 42

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think the advice above about putting 0.0 is a good way to trigger to adcom that they need to look at this differently.
And then in optional essay just explain briefly about your program and what your grading system is. Every school is different but each school is used to looking at foreign transcripts and they have their own way of reviewing usually without you needing to get your GPA converted.

Erjan_S wrote:
I am filling an application to MIT Sloan Fellows, I graduated 17 years ago, so I hope that for Fellows program is not that critical but...
The application system says - "Do not indicate GPA if your transcript does not indicate it"
Fair enough, as I do not have GPA in my transcript as I received my BCom degree from Ain Shams University in Egypt with the average grade - "Good"
Problem is that the application system still requires GPA blank space to be filled!
What would you do?

The grading system marks in Egypt: Very Weak, Weak, Pass, Good, Very good, Excellent.
I did calculations at some internet source like https://www.foreigncredits.com/resource ... ator/egypt and my grades when I enter them by subject and year translate into something like 3.2 (roughly), so, I guess I should input that number?
I studied in English and transcripts in English, at Q&A questions the admission officers told me that grades verification (by WES for instance) is not required. Otherwise, it would take me ages for verification as WES demands university to send transcript directly or provide in sealed envelope and I live in Kazakhstan...

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 92 [1], given: 42

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2017, 01:59
Erjan_S wrote:
What would you do?

Hi there,
Keep in mind that some programs ask applicants not to convert their GPA to the American scale, but to report their GPA in the original scale and explain what the scale was if needed. Consider using the optional essay for that.
You can find more info on GPA conversions here: https://aringo.com/gpa-conversions/
Good luck!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 340 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2017, 13:44
I would reach out to admissions directly and ask them. If you are able to get a clear answer from them i think the advice above is sound, include the 0.0 and briefly explains in the optional essay

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: GPA in application   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2017, 13:44

GPA in application

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap