It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Griffith

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 0

Griffith [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 03:32
Griffith's cameraman Bitzer was a mechanical wizard, and what skill was lacking in his visual composition was more than compensated by his ability to combine gadgets and props to produce the required cinematic effects.

(A) what skill was lacking in his visual composition was more than compensated by
(B) what skills he was lacking in visual composition, he more than compensated for in
(C) whatever his visual composition lacked, he more than compensated in
(D) whatever skills he lacked in visual composition, he more than compensated for by
(E) he more than compensated his lack of visual composition with

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 0

Re: Griffith [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 04:14
E.

Others are either passive or wordy.

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 04:34
hibloom wrote:
Griffith's cameraman Bitzer was a mechanical wizard, and what skill was lacking in his visual composition was more than compensated by his ability to combine gadgets and props to produce the required cinematic effects.

(A) what skill was lacking in his visual composition was more than compensated by
(B) what skills he was lacking in visual composition, he more than compensated for in
(D) whatever skills he lacked in visual composition, he more than compensated for by

B

Down to B & D for me. Couldn't decide if "was lacking" or "lacked" is correct, so looked for other differences b/w the choices. "compensated for in" is better than "compensated for by."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 05:03
hibloom wrote:

IMO E)

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 10:55
Griffith's cameraman Bitzer was a mechanical wizard, and

what skill was lacking in his visual composition was more than compensated by

his ability to combine gadgets and props to produce the required cinematic effects.

==============CORRECT

xxxx compensated for in is wrong

xxx he lack, instead of the visual composition lacked

xxx should be compensated more than

xxx should be compensated more than

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 11:15
His lack of is better than – “whatever skills he lacked” and “what skills he was lacking”

Answer: E

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 11:52
Compensated for is not ok in that case. I think that compensated by or with are the correct choices. Now, between A and E- i'm not sure. E sounds better. What is the OA?

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 3

Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 12:10
I got E, because the subject should parallel as he (eliminating A), it should all be in the past preterite tense (compensated, lacked (not was lacking)) (B), and I am fairly certain "compensated in his ability" uses a wrong preposition, but compensated with is correct. E seemed to be the most concise, the other choices being awkward and using unecessary words.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 3

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 857 [0], given: 19

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 14:46
hibloom wrote:

Also go for A.
BCD are run-on.

E is awakward and dangling.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 15:57

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 20:18
zoinnk wrote:

This is run-on for me.

if it is OA, then how it is not run-on.

anybody? SC expert.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2008, 20:32
GMAT TIGER wrote:
zoinnk wrote:

This is run-on for me.

anybody? SC expert.

can you point out where you think the run-on problem begins? looks like 2 sentences joined by and to me...

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2008, 08:07
zoinnk wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:
zoinnk wrote:

This is run-on for me.

anybody? SC expert.

can you point out where you think the run-on problem begins? looks like 2 sentences joined by and to me...

Quote:
Griffith's cameraman Bitzer was a mechanical wizard, and what skills he was lacking in visual composition, he more than compensated for in his ability to combine gadgets and props to produce the required cinematic effects.

I believe "Griffith's cameraman Bitzer was a mechanical wizard, and what skills he was lacking in visual composition" is one independent clause.

"he more than compensated for in his ability to combine gadgets and props to produce the required cinematic effects" is another.

So how they are combined/joined by a conjunction?

GT

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2008, 10:16
GMAT TIGER wrote:
I believe "Griffith's cameraman Bitzer was a mechanical wizard, and what skills he was lacking in visual composition" is one independent clause.

"he more than compensated for in his ability to combine gadgets and props to produce the required cinematic effects" is another.

that's not the right division:

Griffith's cameraman Bitzer was a mechanical wizard.

and

What skills he was lacking in visual composition, he more than compensated for in his ability to combine gadgets and props to produce the required cinematic effects.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2008, 11:37

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Schools: Darden School of Business (Class of 2012)

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2008, 16:47
What skill he was lacking.... I think "what" introduce a subordinate clause
so we have IC And SC+IC

zoinnk wrote:
GMAT TIGER wrote:

that's not the right division:

Griffith's cameraman Bitzer was a mechanical wizard.

and

What skills he was lacking in visual composition, he more than compensated for in his ability to combine gadgets and props to produce the required cinematic effects.

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: Griffith   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2008, 16:47

Griffith

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap