It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas, TOEFL and International students with US master's degree

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [3], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.63
WE: Account Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User
Haas, TOEFL and International students with US master's degree [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone, I wanted to make a public service announcement as someone who has learned this the hard way.

As you may already know, Haas requires all international students from non-English speaking countries to take TOEFL, even if your medium of instruction during college was English. However, they also state that you would qualify for a waiver if you have completed at least 1 year of full-time education in the US. I have a master's degree from the US, so I had called Haas admissions to confirm that I do indeed qualify for the waiver.

However, now after I have submitted my application for Rd 1, I have been notified that I need to take the TOEFL. Mine was a research-based master's degree, so I was required to register for a combination of both course credits and research credits each semester, to make up 12 credits in total (the number of credits to maintain full-time status, my F1 visa and my scholarship). Apparently, since the total of my course credits don't add up to 12 for each semester, I don't qualify for full-time status and therefore the waiver.

I have been told that my application can now only be considered for Rd2, even if I take the TOEFL immediately, since it is past the Rd1 deadline. I am rather disappointed with the turn of events, as Haas was a top choice for me. I thought I was only going to have to wait for my decisions now, since I hadn't planned for Rd 2 at all, but this changes things.

Hope this piece of information helps other international applicants such as myself, who already have a master's degree from a US university and assume that they are exempt from TOEFL.

Good luck, everyone!

Kudos [?]: 9 [3], given: 14

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 71

Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Re: Haas, TOEFL and International students with US master's degree [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 11:09
Thanks for sharing critical information! It is sad that Haas doesn't provide details on their website to prevent issues like this. Much like you, I did Masters in US and applied to Haas without TOEFL. I am worried now if my application will be bumped to R2 as well.

That said, I only took 3 courses (9 credits) per semester. I am wondering why Haas said your coursework need to add up to 12 credits instead of 9 credits. As I understand 9 is what you need to maintain F1 visa status.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 11:16
Thank you for sharing this info. very useful.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 11:17
KaptainK, you should be fine as long as you were registered for 9 course credits each semester for at least 1 academic year. Mine didn't qualify, as I had a combination of course + research credits.

The 12 credits is a requirement if you're on a scholarship, I believe. It was the case in my school, anyway. May vary in other places.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 11:29
This is very disappointing, I took 6 credit of classes each semester during a "special student period" and 6 credits with research, and then did a research masters for a 2 years.... I guess now I will have to take the TOEFL, which I was not planning on taking... to be honest I grow every day a little more disappointed at Haas, and how difficult they make it to learn about the school and in general connect with them,,,,

Does anyone know if this is the case with other schools as well?

Manager
Manager

Reviews Badge
Haas, TOEFL and International students with US master's degree [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 11:33
I think for almost schools, a degree from english-instructed school simply can be enough for waiver. But I did hear that hass has stringent requirement, i don't know how stringent it was though.

don't worry about other schools, that won't be problems.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 11:46
amrithakalyani - That must be it. Diff schools have diff credit requirements for scholarships.

nachobioteck - Haas is definitely difficult in terms of the requirements around TOEFL and official transcripts before interview. My experience has been great with staff and students so far. AFAIK, all other schools accept Masters in US to waive TOEFL. Some schools just accept "instruction in English" to waive TOEFL.

BTW - I am also in phama/biotech industry

Current Student

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 12:04
nachobioteck I will say that my experience with the Haas admissions hasn't been the most positive. They are curt with their responses and sometimes don't seem to care. However, I went to their Diversity Workshop and absolutely loved my interactions with current students and alumni. Haas is my top choice school based on the open culture and tight-knit community there. Although it is frustrating to have a negative experience with the adcom, I believe that once you're accepted, it is the students that really matter.

KaptainK what a pleasant surprise! We have inadvertently created a biotech/pharma sub-group here, as I noticed nachobioteck is in the same industry too! Are you both applying to the MBA/MPH program? That's what I applied to.

Current Student

Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2015, 12:18
amrithakalyani Thanks for that insights, it helps putting things into perspective. You are absolutely right, what matters at the end is the students, alumni and faculty. Sadly I will only be able to visit the school if I get invited for an interview since I can't really take more time off, but I am trying to get in contact with some current I will be applying on the Consortium R2.

I will only apply for the MBA, but you are right we have created a subgroup here! I wonder if there is a way we can create some sort of multy school thread were everyone from biotech could join?

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2015, 08:07
I am only applying to MBA program. But for some reason, almost all the students I spoke to are doing MBA/MPH option. I reached out to students based on their background. Couple of months ago, I went back and forth on dual degree option but ultimately decided not to apply. Two reasons - my career direction doesn't need core MPH knowledge/skills; i can take couple of MPH courses that I am interested in as electives.

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2015, 05:16
KaptainK wrote:
I am only applying to MBA program. But for some reason, almost all the students I spoke to are doing MBA/MPH option. I reached out to students based on their background. Couple of months ago, I went back and forth on dual degree option but ultimately decided not to apply. Two reasons - my career direction doesn't need core MPH knowledge/skills; i can take couple of MPH courses that I am interested in as electives.

Update for you guys - i have been accepted at Duke in EA round. amrithakalyani - i see that you applied to Duke as well. Good luck!!

Re: Haas, TOEFL and International students with US master's degree   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2015, 05:16

Haas, TOEFL and International students with US master's degree

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, BrushMyQuant, aerien

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap