GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 May 2020, 00:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Haas vs Tuck

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school should I choose?

• 46% [24]
  • 53% [28]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Haas vs Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 15:50
Hi all! I'm thrilled to have been admitted to Haas, Tuck, and Wharton. I've officially decided to rule out Wharton due to culture/fit issues and size, and now have Haas and Tuck to decide between.

I am currently in asset management (Boston), but looking to pivot to MBB consulting and possibly into PE long term. My fiancé is currently a student at Haas, and given that we're both originally from the west coast, we are keen on settling down in California. Many people have said that Haas should be the natural choice due to my personal situation, but I love Tuck and value its community and alumni network. I also like the idea of taking the next two years to completely immerse myself into the MBA program. I ultimately think Tuck is a better fit for me, however, I worry that it'll be difficult for me to recruit at the SF offices. I also don't know how well the Tuck brand carries itself on the west coast. Logistically, it just seems easier to go to Haas.

I appreciate any thoughts you may have! Thanks in advance!

**Also - not sure if this matters, but I am female with MIT UG.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Haas vs Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 10:53
Go to Tuck. I may be slightly biased as a Tuckie, but people in my class have had no problem getting into each MBB SF office as well as Parthenon (Founded by Tuckies), and Deloitte. As for PE, Tuck does quite well, and I know a handful of people from the class above mine who are working in PE/VC on the West Coast. Additionally, the Tuck network in SF is surprisingly large and insanely responsive. I'm happy to chat via PM about West Coast outcomes, etc.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 12:31
Flyte wrote:
Go to Tuck. I may be slightly biased as a Tuckie, but people in my class have had no problem getting into each MBB SF office as well as Parthenon (Founded by Tuckies), and Deloitte. As for PE, Tuck does quite well, and I know a handful of people from the class above mine who are working in PE/VC on the West Coast. Additionally, the Tuck network in SF is surprisingly large and insanely responsive. I'm happy to chat via PM about West Coast outcomes, etc.

Thanks, Flyte! It's reassuring to hear that Tuckies place well in SF. We can definitely chat via PM, but what would you say are some of the benefits and drawbacks to Tuck? Thanks again!
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 20:09
portlandia617 wrote:
Hi all! I'm thrilled to have been admitted to Haas, Tuck, and Wharton. I've officially decided to rule out Wharton due to culture/fit issues and size, and now have Haas and Tuck to decide between.

I am currently in asset management (Boston), but looking to pivot to MBB consulting and possibly into PE long term. My fiancé is currently a student at Haas, and given that we're both originally from the west coast, we are keen on settling down in California. Many people have said that Haas should be the natural choice due to my personal situation, but I love Tuck and value its community and alumni network. I also like the idea of taking the next two years to completely immerse myself into the MBA program. I ultimately think Tuck is a better fit for me, however, I worry that it'll be difficult for me to recruit at the SF offices. I also don't know how well the Tuck brand carries itself on the west coast. Logistically, it just seems easier to go to Haas.

From what I understand, Tuck places really well into MBB, more so than Haas, the Tuck student above can probably provide more exact details, but I believe a huge percentage of those wanting to do consulting at Tuck end up at one of the MBBs. Is money a factor in your decision at all? If so, that might make it easier. I have a few friends who are in the same program as their spouses and unfortunately they tend to gravitate towards one another naturally. This isn't necessarily bad, but really immersing yourself in a program such a Tuck with strangers will be great! Perhaps with your fiancé, you'll tend to stick and hang out with his friends and his pre-established circle. Go to Tuck!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 20:35
I think you should reconsider Wharton as it would be a mistake not to go. They do extremely well in PE and also they have a program thats relatively new that lets you take your 2nd year in San fran. Win/win.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 20:48
This is one of those decisions that shouldn't come to this forum... you'll make your own friends in grad school if you went to Haas. Tuck is a slightly longer tenured school with a stronger history with top firms but honestly the MBB is bulking up its hiring and you'd likely make it in regardless if you were the right fit.

As someone who's married, being in the same area can both do wonders and drive a wedge depending on the people on the partner. Do what's best for the two of you.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 11:00
sudaca2015 wrote:
portlandia617 wrote:

From what I understand, Tuck places really well into MBB, more so than Haas, the Tuck student above can probably provide more exact details, but I believe a huge percentage of those wanting to do consulting at Tuck end up at one of the MBBs. Is money a factor in your decision at all? If so, that might make it easier. I have a few friends who are in the same program as their spouses and unfortunately they tend to gravitate towards one another naturally. This isn't necessarily bad, but really immersing yourself in a program such a Tuck with strangers will be great! Perhaps with your fiancé, you'll tend to stick and hang out with his friends and his pre-established circle. Go to Tuck!

Thanks for the feedback! Money isn't a factor for me, and I totally see what you mean about partners sticking together! Congrats on your admits! Are you thinking about going to Tuck? : )
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 11:02
DCTech87 wrote:
This is one of those decisions that shouldn't come to this forum... you'll make your own friends in grad school if you went to Haas. Tuck is a slightly longer tenured school with a stronger history with top firms but honestly the MBB is bulking up its hiring and you'd likely make it in regardless if you were the right fit.

As someone who's married, being in the same area can both do wonders and drive a wedge depending on the people on the partner. Do what's best for the two of you.

I totally see what you mean - it's a very personal decision. Thanks for the insight!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2015, 12:15
portlandia617 wrote:
sudaca2015 wrote:
portlandia617 wrote:

Thanks for the feedback! Money isn't a factor for me, and I totally see what you mean about partners sticking together! Congrats on your admits! Are you thinking about going to Tuck? : )

I will! I'm super excited about it! Truth be told, I had wanted Wharton (wasn't admitted) but I wanted Lauder more than anything else. I want a small tight-knit community and Tuck fits perfectly. Come to Tuck! You will probably never again play ice hokey and explore the outdoors as much as you will at Tuck. At Haas you will be tempted to hang out in SF a lot and go off with your fiance! Do let us know what you decide!
Intern
Intern
Haas vs Tuck  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 10:13
Congratulations on the admits! And wow, interesting you are declining Wharton! Much respect to you to genuinely follow your heart on that. I feel a lot of Bschool hype goes around merely ranking and prestige, so it's neat (or daresay, refreshing) to see you very oriented around fit.

Any particular reason you feel you fit better into Tuck than Haas? Very curious, as I feel "on paper" the culture seems similar. I guess if you want to fully immerse yourself into the MBA experience (no city distraction), the rural atmosphere of Tuck would be better.

I think if you want to settle long-term west coast, Haas would be better. It's more than the career network, but also the additional social network you will have after (since so many stay regionally concentrated). Also, I don't doubt that Tuck has people that place into Bay Area MBB/Bay area in general...but I feel like that's a challenge to overcome, not a likelihood. For instance: go to LinkedIn, search "bay area", "bain" (as current employer); for Tuck, you get 9 people, for Haas, you get 23. (McKinsey ratio 7:39; BCG ratio of 6:18; Deloitte 3:115). Caveat: can be skewed by Haas UG.

I think another thing to consider is placement as it relates to students' aspirations. Your fiance may have the better insight of this, but the career reports will deploy a lot of self-selectivity--i.e. perhaps less Haas students go into MBB as a share of the class because of the regions' dominance in Technology.

Good luck on your decision! Or maybe attend all the admit events and then follow your heart :) (Or, flip a coin, and see what your gut reaction is based on the result. You'll know which one you want!)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 19:22
brunojackson wrote:
Congratulations on the admits! And wow, interesting you are declining Wharton! Much respect to you to genuinely follow your heart on that. I feel a lot of Bschool hype goes around merely ranking and prestige, so it's neat (or daresay, refreshing) to see you very oriented around fit.

Any particular reason you feel you fit better into Tuck than Haas? Very curious, as I feel "on paper" the culture seems similar. I guess if you want to fully immerse yourself into the MBA experience (no city distraction), the rural atmosphere of Tuck would be better.

I think if you want to settle long-term west coast, Haas would be better. It's more than the career network, but also the additional social network you will have after (since so many stay regionally concentrated). Also, I don't doubt that Tuck has people that place into Bay Area MBB/Bay area in general...but I feel like that's a challenge to overcome, not a likelihood. For instance: go to LinkedIn, search "bay area", "bain" (as current employer); for Tuck, you get 9 people, for Haas, you get 23. (McKinsey ratio 7:39; BCG ratio of 6:18; Deloitte 3:115). Caveat: can be skewed by Haas UG.

I think another thing to consider is placement as it relates to students' aspirations. Your fiance may have the better insight of this, but the career reports will deploy a lot of self-selectivity--i.e. perhaps less Haas students go into MBB as a share of the class because of the regions' dominance in Technology.

Good luck on your decision! Or maybe attend all the admit events and then follow your heart :) (Or, flip a coin, and see what your gut reaction is based on the result. You'll know which one you want!)

Thanks! Wharton is a tough one to let go because it's an amazing program, and one of the best brands out there, but I know in my gut it isn't the right fit for me.

Good suggestion on the linkedin searches - didn't even think to do that - and you make a valid point RE self-selectivity. As for your Tuck vs Haas question...I felt both schools are incredibly community-focused, collaborative, but each has it's own "vibe", which is to be expected. Haas seems more vibrant, high energy, and focused on tech/innovation whereas Tuck seems more formal, focused on general management, outdoorsy? Haha...I've grown to love New England, and maybe choosing Tuck is my way of sticking around a bit longer. :wink:

Congrats on your Haas acceptance, btw! Have you decided on where you're gonna go?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 19:25
From what I understand, Tuck places really well into MBB, more so than Haas, the Tuck student above can probably provide more exact details, but I believe a huge percentage of those wanting to do consulting at Tuck end up at one of the MBBs. Is money a factor in your decision at all? If so, that might make it easier. I have a few friends who are in the same program as their spouses and unfortunately they tend to gravitate towards one another naturally. This isn't necessarily bad, but really immersing yourself in a program such a Tuck with strangers will be great! Perhaps with your fiancé, you'll tend to stick and hang out with his friends and his pre-established circle. Go to Tuck![/quote]

Thanks for the feedback! Money isn't a factor for me, and I totally see what you mean about partners sticking together! Congrats on your admits! Are you thinking about going to Tuck? : )[/quote]

I will! I'm super excited about it! Truth be told, I had wanted Wharton (wasn't admitted) but I wanted Lauder more than anything else. I want a small tight-knit community and Tuck fits perfectly. Come to Tuck! You will probably never again play ice hokey and explore the outdoors as much as you will at Tuck. At Haas you will be tempted to hang out in SF a lot and go off with your fiance! Do let us know what you decide![/quote]

I will! :-D
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 08:18
portlandia617 wrote:
brunojackson wrote:

Thanks! Wharton is a tough one to let go because it's an amazing program, and one of the best brands out there, but I know in my gut it isn't the right fit for me.

Good suggestion on the linkedin searches - didn't even think to do that - and you make a valid point RE self-selectivity. As for your Tuck vs Haas question...I felt both schools are incredibly community-focused, collaborative, but each has it's own "vibe", which is to be expected. Haas seems more vibrant, high energy, and focused on tech/innovation whereas Tuck seems more formal, focused on general management, outdoorsy? Haha...I've grown to love New England, and maybe choosing Tuck is my way of sticking around a bit longer. :wink:

Congrats on your Haas acceptance, btw! Have you decided on where you're gonna go?

Thanks very much! And Haas for sure! (So my post may be a bit biased :-D .) It was my dream school all along--I've had nothing but positive experiences with the students and community, and the two visits I've made have been great. I'm interested in technology/innovation post-MBA, so it's the right place for me. The surrounding area is ideal with what I want personally, as well--just outside one of the greatest cities in the world, proximity to outdoors options, tons of great restaurants/amazing food scene, beautiful weather year-round, music scene for what I like, general Berkeley-eclecticism, etc. I also love the defining principles--they exemplify the type of leader that I truly strive to embody, and they genuinely resonated with me from the time I started researching programs.

I'm very grateful and thankful to be accepted, so I seriously can't wait to go to Haas!

All said, you're in a very fortunate position, and both programs are great. You can't go wrong! Let us know what you decide (and if I can offer any additional perspective in any other way :) )
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 15:07
brunojackson wrote:

Just an FYI, everyone I've met who wanted consulting in SF at Tuck got MBB and / or Parthenon (highest paying consulting firm out there). I just did a quick check as the numbers you quoted seemed odd...and the vast majority of MBB from Haas came from undergrad, not the business school.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 15:13
On a side note, we have launched Business School Reviews on GMAT Club and you can find several on Tuck here: http://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/tuck-10

I hope it helps with your choice!
P.S. Thank you Flyte for submitting one!

Good Luck!
BB

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2015, 19:22
Flyte wrote:
brunojackson wrote:

Just an FYI, everyone I've met who wanted consulting in SF at Tuck got MBB and / or Parthenon (highest paying consulting firm out there). I just did a quick check as the numbers you quoted seemed odd...and the vast majority of MBB from Haas came from undergrad, not the business school.

Thanks for checking the stats posted and setting the record straight! I feel like a lot of people get away posting unsubstantiated stats all the time in these type of forums.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 08:12
sudaca2015 wrote:
Thanks for checking the stats posted and setting the record straight! I feel like a lot of people get away posting unsubstantiated stats all the time in these type of forums.

With all respect, I don't think anything I posted was unsubstantiated--it's available data, I posted my methodology, and I added the caveat that it can be skewed by Haas UG. Feel free to take a look--if anything, I don't see the "vast majority" (or even the majority) of M/B/B in SF/Bay Area coming from UG Haas rather than the MBA program.

All told, I don't know if there's much merit to us going back and forth on this--OP can feel free to evaluate as needed, as we all are obviously partisan to our programs :-D . (I see where Tuck gets "fiercely loyal" from now!)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2015, 12:21
brunojackson wrote:
sudaca2015 wrote:

With all respect, I don't think anything I posted was unsubstantiated--it's available data, I posted my methodology, and I added the caveat that it can be skewed by Haas UG. Feel free to take a look--if anything, I don't see the "vast majority" (or even the majority) of M/B/B in SF/Bay Area coming from UG Haas rather than the MBA program.

All told, I don't know if there's much merit to us going back and forth on this--OP can feel free to evaluate as needed, as we all are obviously partisan to our programs :-D . (I see where Tuck gets "fiercely loyal" from now!)

*meow* haha in all seriousness, my comment was meant as a general statement.
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: MBB Consultant
Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2015, 13:00
Congratulations on your triple acceptance!

I will try to add my two cents in this already very strong topic. Being a MBB consultant, you'll see that the office you belong to is not very relevant. It is very common for consultants to switch offices, especially inside the same country/cluster. So, when you get your offer they'll ask which office you'd like to join. And unless it is a very competitive one, like NYC or London, you'll probably have no problem being located there.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2016, 11:30
portlandia617 wrote:

I can offer my (slightly) biased view since I am a current Tuckie but on top of that my fiancée is based in London so I am doing long distance during b-school and also I recruited for MBB internationally in an office with a smallish alumni presence.

I think this really comes down to a personal choice in terms of whether you are happy to do the long distance relationship. I found it to be surprisingly doable but I was just mindful of making sure I took the time to call most days and prioritize free time to heading home and seeing my fiancée. As long as both parties are comfortable with the decision, I think the distance is not a huge deal.

On the recruiting front, I agree with mfprado. For the firms that I interviewed with, I think as long as there is some presence in the target office, you will be fine. They seem to be far more interested in your candidacy and if you are a strong candidate, you will get interviews at any office you apply you. They have a bar and meeting that bar will net you an interview and success in the recruiting process. Having alums at an office can smooth the process but it is not a sure thing. Also another consideration is that a lot of the class at Haas will want to stay in California and this does lead to a crunch for interview spots sometimes. I saw this a little with the Boston offices where a lot of Tuckies apply and it can be more difficult just because of the sheer number of applicants. However, as a Tuckie applying to SF offices, you will be one of a handful and potentially it is easier to stand out.

At the end of the day, you will be heading to a great school whatever happens. I would look at where you feel most comfortable and obviously hopefully the decision also works on the personal front. There is a lot to be said for fit and finding a place where you will feel really at home for the two years.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Haas vs Tuck   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2016, 11:30

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 23 posts ] 

Haas vs Tuck

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate