Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [16]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
Own Kudos [?]: 286 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:Operations (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: The 100 day plan to score 740 [#permalink]
Hey congo!!!!!

Well even i started my prep in may..But i am in a mid way...Need two months more...........
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey Archi...Congratulations on a great score!!
Need some advise from you on the Quant section.
I am stuck up with a score of 43(Average) on manhattan tests in Q and an overall of 640...
Quant is really letting me down(despite being an engineer from India :-()..have reached a plateau in my prep...(after steady improvment)

Can you guide how I should reinforce my concepts in quant .....i still don't see any patterns in qs in quant..(as they say when u r really prepared u start seeing patterns...)

Any suggestions would be more than welcome :-)

Good luck for your Applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management
GMAT Date: 11-15-2011
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
wow...congratsss!!!! Good luck with the apps :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
illrockgmat wrote:
Hey Archi...Congratulations on a great score!!
Need some advise from you on the Quant section.
I am stuck up with a score of 43(Average) on manhattan tests in Q and an overall of 640...
Quant is really letting me down(despite being an engineer from India :-()..have reached a plateau in my prep...(after steady improvment)

Can you guide how I should reinforce my concepts in quant .....i still don't see any patterns in qs in quant..(as they say when u r really prepared u start seeing patterns...)

Any suggestions would be more than welcome :-)

Good luck for your Applications.

How long have you been preparing for ? If you have hit the plateau in Quant, I would strongly advise you to take a break from studies for a few days. I'm telling you that a lot of time because of studying too hard,our mind starts processing things linearly and linear thinking is the bane of GMAT. Linear thinking basically means that you'd be able to do a question only if you have done an exactly similar kind of question.The moment you get that question with a twist, you'll be clueless as to what needs to be done. Taking a break for sometime was one of the advices given by Ron Purewal to me and I think that it really helped me. It can be a break of 4-5 days or even a week if you have been studying for long, but ensure that it has to be a complete break without any GMAT stuff going on. When you'll start taking tests again, you'll see that your score would have automatically jumped by 1-3 points without having done anything.

@Rest
Thanks a lot for your wishes.Seems like it was worth writing this long a debrief. Just curious :did anybody manage to read the entire debrief ? :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
How long have you been preparing for ? If you have hit the plateau in Quant, I would strongly advise you to take a break from studies for a few days. I'm telling you that a lot of time because of studying too hard,our mind starts processing things linearly and linear thinking is the bane of GMAT. Linear thinking basically means that you'd be able to do a question only if you have done an exactly similar kind of question.The moment you get that question with a twist, you'll be clueless as to what needs to be done. Taking a break for sometime was one of the advices given by Ron Purewal to me and I think that it really helped me. It can be a break of 4-5 days or even a week if you have been studying for long, but ensure that it has to be a complete break without any GMAT stuff going on. When you'll start taking tests again, you'll see that your score would have automatically jumped by 1-3 points without having done anything.

@Rest
Thanks a lot for your wishes.Seems like it was worth writing this long a debrief. Just curious :did anybody manage to read the entire debrief ?

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion.I have been studying for the past 4 months now but I must admit I did not devote more than perhaps 15-20 days for Q. I feel my concepts are not brushed up enough.
Regarding Break, I know this is a real good suggestion, but actually the truth is that i have almost given up studying now because my scores have become steady (both Q and V) and i have almost lost all hope.

Don't know what to do!!!
And yes your debrief was excellent, I read the entire debrief....Thanks for this effort. :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
archimittal01 wrote:
I was actually confused whether I should but this debrief or not. Given that tens of hundreds of debriefs are already present on this forum,I thought that does it make any difference whether I put up another debrief? I thought maybe it doesn't; maybe this post will be just another one posted by another jubilant test taker who wants to flaunt her score. But then I thought of all the great posts which had inspired me here over the last couple of months and thought that if these people would have also thought that they are just adding to the clutter, would I have known the right way to approach the GMAT and would I be this inspired to crack the exam. Maybe not! And that's why I thought of contributing here-maybe a minor contribution it is-but still a contribution. Here goes my story.

I took the GMAT this Saturday and got a 740(50,40) . The madness(read GMAT) which had engulfed my life over the past 4 months finally culminated in a good score and I’m happy and relieved that this phase of madness, sacrifices and toil is over though another more grueling phase of applications is round the corner.
To start with, the GMAT had become more important than a mere test for me.I felt that this is something which can make or break my future. I had told myself that this is the last standardized test I will be ever taking and I want to ensure that I give it my best.
Although your GMAT score doesn’t determine how successful you’ll be in your life but it definitely underlines how successful can you be in such kind of battles in life because if you look at it the components you need to win the GMAT-hardwork, perseverance and strategy-are things which make you winner in whatever you do in life.Secondly, it helps you in understanding yourself better. I started doing a lot of introspection about my thinking process which otherwise I would have hardly done. It made me maturer ; it made me better . It told me as a person where do you falter often and how I can learn from them. Maybe if I had not scored a 740, I’d have been cursing this exam as opposed to the paeans I am singing for it now after having scored fairly well. I don’t know what is true but the GMAT certainly did help me.

I kicked off my preparation on May 6th ,as shows my diary. After having read numerous articles, I framed the strategy for me and I’m sharing my plan, which is essentially the edited version of the plan I had made for me. Hope that those who are about to start their preparation will find this plan helfpul.
Preparation timeline
May 2011 : Target-SC

Week 1: Started with a GMATPREP diagnostic test. Got a 660. Found verbal challenging.

Week 2 : Started with Sentence correction as do most of the people. Bought MGMAT SC Guide and on whiplash’s recommendation, bought Aristotle SC Grail . As recommend by the members here, firstly I went through SC Grail.It really did help me quite a lot as it made things those tough words such as relative pronouns ,participles etc look easy . Got a good understanding of the concepts tested on SC on the GMAT. Did the 100 questions at the end which I found basic but yet useful to test the appplication of concepts

Week 3 : Moved on to Manhattan SC Guide. After going the SC Grail which is arranged in quite a systematic manner, I got a little turned off by Manhattan SC Guide as I found it a little unstructured and cluttered but going through the book was a good revision. It is really very useful for understanding the advanced level SC concepts . Also started with the SC questions in OG topicwise.

Week 4: Revised the SC Grail and Manhattan SC notes I prepared for myself and finished doing the SC questions in the OG topic wise.

So by the end of May, I thought that I had SC under my control and thought that now it is time to shift the focus to other areas

June 2011 : Target CR
Week 5 : Started with CR Bible. It’s a huge book and may look daunting but the book helps you clear your concepts and you know start understanding the various types of questions tested.

Week 6: Continued with CR Bible. Also saw Thursdays with Ron videos on CR.

Week 7: Started with the CR questions in OG12. As suggested by Ron,did the questions topicwise so that I get a firm understanding of the various types of questions

Week8 : Finished with CR questions from OG12.Reviewed my error log.Learnt a lot from this review process.

July 2011: Target RC
Week 9 : Break - I had to go on a week long vacation with the family so this break came as a good refresher from the two month long study.

Week 10 :All refreshed from the break, I firstly revised all that I had learnt on SC and CR for one week and practiced more questions

Week 11 : Started with RCs. Firstly went through all the strategies for RCs available on forums. Went through Manhattan RC book but found it almost useless.I rather found the “Thursdays with Ron” videos better. Started with the OG passages and kept a target of 3-4 passages.Finished all OG passages by the first week

Week 12 : Started with RC99. The passages in RC were much more difficult than the OG passages, so these passages really helped me develop stamina and find out what strategy works for me and what doesn’t. However, most of the passages are longer and some of the passages are just weird ,so don’t worry too much over such kind of passages.I'd suggest that do only low and medium difficulty level passages only.

To sum up by the end of July, I was almost through with my Verbal preparation.All this while, every week I had kept one day for revising whatever I had finished. For example, even when I was doing RCs, I would keep the last day of the week for revising SC and CR.

August 2011: Quant and Tests

Week 13 : Since I’m from India and Indians are supposedly the good at Quant and I am not much of an exception. :-D However, my target was that I would target for a perfect score on the Quant section so that if anything goes wrong on Verbal, the quant score can compensate for it. Started with the OG questions and found them really very easy so jumped to the last 50 questions of OG and did them.
Week 14: Practiced more Quant questions from miscellaneous sources.
Week 15: Started with the tests. Took a GMATPREP as I was quite impatient to see how much progress I have seen. Scored a 730 on GMATPREP1.Analyzed the test in excruciating detail. Revised everythiing again
Week 16 : Started with MGMAT CATs. Got a 700 on the first CAT. Found their quant much different from the quant of GMATPREP. The questions were calculation intensive and I was struggling to finish the quant section on time.

September 2011: Practice tests and GMAT

Week 17 : Took 3 more MGMAT CATs. Got 750,730, 710. Was a little unsure of how much I’ll land up with as the scores were inconsistent

Week 18: Took the remaining two MGMAT CATs and scored a 730 on both. Took another GMATPREP and got a 760 on this one. Was relieved that I got good scores on both the GMATPREPs and thought that the analysis of the previous CATs has really apid off

Sept 15 : Hadn’t been writing the AWA so far . Ideally, one should write them while taking the tests but somehow I didn’t feel the need to write in any of the test.So went through the AWA essays and sample template. Wrote two essays.

Sept 16: Revised everything for one last time
Last day: Relaxed fully. Watched a hindi movie “Mere brother ki dhulan”(My brother’s bride). It was a great stress buster.Very Happy Helped me calm down myself and helped me see that there was more to life than the GMAT

Sept 18: G-day. The exam went rather smoothly and without any signifcant hiccups on Maths and Verbal. The questions and the screen almost made me feel that I am taking another GMATPREP. Saw a 740 and almost jumped up from my seat. Everyone else in the exam center could see that I had made a kill as was very evident from the palpable excitement all around me.

That’s how went the story of my prep.I hope that my detailed study plan would be helpful to you. I think the biggest reason why I landed up with a good GMAT score is my consistency. As you can see from my planner,I had divided the entire preparation into phases and then into sub-phases. Each week I had my targets to complete and I’d ensure that come what may,I’d achieve those targets .I didn’t set daily targets because from my earlier experiences,I knew that following the daily schedule exactly is next to impossible.Sometimes there’s one topic I would take more time in and sometime some question would come up which would eat away almost the entire 2hours of my daily preparation time.

I’d like to really thank this forum and all the great members who have in their own way contributed in making this so useful.Special thanks to whiplash, shovitdhar and bblast and above all bb. God bless them! This would probably be one of the longest debriefs here but i hope that it’d have been useful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
illrockgmat wrote:
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion.I have been studying for the past 4 months now but I must admit I did not devote more than perhaps 15-20 days for Q. I feel my concepts are not brushed up enough.
Regarding Break, I know this is a real good suggestion, but actually the truth is that i have almost given up studying now because my scores have become steady (both Q and V) and i have almost lost all hope.

Don't know what to do!!!
And yes your debrief was excellent, I read the entire debrief....Thanks for this effort. :-)

Hehe. Great to see that you found the debrief helpful . And do not lose up. Remember, we rebound the most when we are the lowest phase, so pep up and just go for it. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Loved your planning and execution. It takes a lot of discipline to pull it off... Good luck with your application.

Which all programs are you planning to apply to?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Excellent Archi !!!

Good luck for your applications.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Entwistle wrote:
Loved your planning and execution. It takes a lot of discipline to pull it off... Good luck with your application.

Which all programs are you planning to apply to?

Thanks,Entwistle. I'll be targeting the Asian schools. Will be looking at ISB, GLIM, NUS,NTU and HKUST and possibly AIM,Manila ? Are you applying to any of the schools ?You have a great GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Hi Archi,

That's a great debrief. You nailed the GMAT :D
Best of luck for your apps :)

BR
Mandeep
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Archi what all books did you refer from the MGMAT set apart from the SC and RC books?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
samramandy wrote:
Archi what all books did you refer from the MGMAT set apart from the SC and RC books?

I didn't refer any other Manhattan book.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
What did you refer for Maths prep??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
samramandy wrote:
What did you refer for Maths prep??

I didn't refer much for the Maths part. My concepts in Maths have always been good .I had earlier prepared for the CAT,an Indian business school entrance exam that is supposed to be much tougher than the GMAT is in terms of Quant. I had that material . For tests, I just did the gmatclub tests and I think that they were good.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Great study plan ,Archi. Congratulations. Did you see any idioms questions on the exam ? And how difficult did you find the GMAT SC in comparison to the OG12 SC ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Hey archimittal01 congrats and all the best for your applications.
Bdw it'll be great if you share your verbal notes.

Thanks in advance.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts