GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016

  post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2012
Posts: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 13:41
Diiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnggggggggg.

Ah well, best of luck to everybody with your other school choices!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 13:55
1
EBM wrote:
bschoolaspirant9 wrote:
To all those dinged, keep in mind that for all its apparent prestige, Harvard Business School is not the best place in the world to spend 2 years of your life. Having interacted with alums and students from numerous schools, I can definitively say that the culture and environment at HBS is not at all friendly or collegial. In fact, it is the complete opposite. If you were to compare HBS' culture to that of places like Tuck, Kellogg, Fuqua, Darden etc, the difference is night and day. The Dean at HBS this week apologized for the sexism at HBS. Some of the things that the New York Times revealed in September last year about the school were truly shocking. Female students and even female profs being bullied, secret societies of wealthy, arrogant narcissists.

Read these NYTIMES articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/educa ... wanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/educa ... d=all&_r=0


Come on now...please don't tell me you're drawing any real conclusions from a few NYT hit pieces that obviously had an agenda. If you don't think every business school has a handful of super-wealthy students who take extravagant weekend trips, or that any business environment that's traditionally male-dominated has occasional struggles with gender issues, then you're just plain naive.

For the NYT to make the claim that those wealthy few created a "Mean Girls"-type environment is laughably inaccurate. The main difference here is that HBS has a bulls-eye on its chest due to its name and status, but it's been very open about addressing the gender and cultural issues that have come up. Also, an HBS class is ~3x the size of a Darden/Tuck class, 2x the size of a Fuqua class, and 1.3x the size of a Kellogg class...you think raw numbers might have something to do with the "huge" number of HBS students who supposedly fit into one of these cliques?

Those articles do not describe my two-year HBS experience in any way. I can say with 100% certainty that met 10x more arrogant, selfish ***-holes at the Naval Academy and in the Marine Corps than I did at HBS. I think I can count on two fingers the number of HBS classmates whom I would purposely avoid if I saw them in a bar or airport today. When I started my application process in 2010 I didn't plan on applying to HBS because I bought into the stereotype about Ivy League MBAs being pretentious and arrogant--I was dead-set on attending a "nicer" school like Haas or Stanford or UCLA or Kellogg. It took about 5 minutes on the HBS campus during my interview visit to realize that those stereotypes were unfounded, and my two years there continued to convince me that I'd made the right choice.

Put bluntly, if all those stereotypes were true, then HBS would see its yield go in the tank due to admits declining their HBS offers to attend a "friendlier" school.



I disagree. No other school has made a program focused on the gender inequality issues...in the year 2012!!!! Not Stanford, not Booth, not Wharton, not Kellogg, not ANY top school had to go to those extremes to teach grown men how to respect females.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 14
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 14:01
Dingg! Disappointing, thought that I would at least get an interview. Waiting for Sloan to get back to me now!
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Joined: 16 Dec 2010
Posts: 742
Location: United States (TX)
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 14:07
Jamon wrote:
EBM wrote:
bschoolaspirant9 wrote:
To all those dinged, keep in mind that for all its apparent prestige, Harvard Business School is not the best place in the world to spend 2 years of your life. Having interacted with alums and students from numerous schools, I can definitively say that the culture and environment at HBS is not at all friendly or collegial. In fact, it is the complete opposite. If you were to compare HBS' culture to that of places like Tuck, Kellogg, Fuqua, Darden etc, the difference is night and day. The Dean at HBS this week apologized for the sexism at HBS. Some of the things that the New York Times revealed in September last year about the school were truly shocking. Female students and even female profs being bullied, secret societies of wealthy, arrogant narcissists.

Read these NYTIMES articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/educa ... wanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/educa ... d=all&_r=0


Come on now...please don't tell me you're drawing any real conclusions from a few NYT hit pieces that obviously had an agenda. If you don't think every business school has a handful of super-wealthy students who take extravagant weekend trips, or that any business environment that's traditionally male-dominated has occasional struggles with gender issues, then you're just plain naive.

For the NYT to make the claim that those wealthy few created a "Mean Girls"-type environment is laughably inaccurate. The main difference here is that HBS has a bulls-eye on its chest due to its name and status, but it's been very open about addressing the gender and cultural issues that have come up. Also, an HBS class is ~3x the size of a Darden/Tuck class, 2x the size of a Fuqua class, and 1.3x the size of a Kellogg class...you think raw numbers might have something to do with the "huge" number of HBS students who supposedly fit into one of these cliques?

Those articles do not describe my two-year HBS experience in any way. I can say with 100% certainty that met 10x more arrogant, selfish ***-holes at the Naval Academy and in the Marine Corps than I did at HBS. I think I can count on two fingers the number of HBS classmates whom I would purposely avoid if I saw them in a bar or airport today. When I started my application process in 2010 I didn't plan on applying to HBS because I bought into the stereotype about Ivy League MBAs being pretentious and arrogant--I was dead-set on attending a "nicer" school like Haas or Stanford or UCLA or Kellogg. It took about 5 minutes on the HBS campus during my interview visit to realize that those stereotypes were unfounded, and my two years there continued to convince me that I'd made the right choice.

Put bluntly, if all those stereotypes were true, then HBS would see its yield go in the tank due to admits declining their HBS offers to attend a "friendlier" school.



I disagree. No other school has made a program focused on the gender inequality issues...in the year 2012!!!! Not Stanford, not Booth, not Wharton, not Kellogg, not ANY top school had to go to those extremes to teach grown men how to respect females.


You disagree based on what? Obviously not personal experience, seeing how you're still an applicant. You're attributing the actions of 1% (at most) of the student body to all 1,800 students in the program. As I mentioned before, 1% of 1,800 is a much larger number than 1% of 500. Do you honestly think there have been zero recent cases of sexual harassment at those other schools you named? I guess if the NYT doesn't write about it, it never happened.

I never witnessed females being mistreated, bullied, or harassed in my RC year section, in any of my EC year elective courses, or in any ECA event I attended. Period. Maybe I got lucky and ended up in the one section that never offended anyone and that was hyper-vigilant in enforcing norms of proper behavior, but I doubt it. That's not to say that misconduct never happened, but rather that any misconduct was the rare exception rather than being systematic or encouraged/tolerated by others or the administration.
_________________
http://www.militarytobusiness.com/
Admissions Consulting for Veterans, by Veterans
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 16:32
2
Maybe the classes/program was made after you left, but do you deny that there are actual courses on these issues? Because there are. That's all in saying. I understand that HBS is large, but Booth, Wharton, Kellogg, CBS, etc aren't exactly tiny. None of them have actual courses to teach adults how to act civilly. That's all I was saying. I'm sure are are plenty of great people at Harvard as well. My friend is a second year there. But far more than 1% behaves like that, otherwise such a program would not exist.
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Joined: 16 Dec 2010
Posts: 742
Location: United States (TX)
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 16:53
3
Jamon wrote:
Maybe the classes/program was made after you left, but do you deny that there are actual courses on these issues? Because there are. That's all in saying. I understand that HBS is large, but Booth, Wharton, Kellogg, CBS, etc aren't exactly tiny. None of them have actual courses to teach adults how to act civilly. That's all I was saying. I'm sure are are plenty of great people at Harvard as well. My friend is a second year there. But far more than 1% behaves like that, otherwise such a program would not exist.


I just graduated last May, so all of the stuff referenced in the NYT articles happened while I was there. Those are my classmates interviewed in the articles, and those are my classmates whose Instagram accounts apparently served as primary source materials for the "research."

We had several open discussions on gender and class issues after one incident happened in the spring of my first year, but nothing that could be considered a "course" or part of the curriculum. The fact that you're referring to them as "actual courses" tells me you don't really know what you're talking about. The sessions were basically town hall discussions with our 90-student section and our section's FIELD advisor where we got to hear their perspective and the guidance coming from the Dean and other senior administrators. Everyone had a chance to give their own input and observations, and I remember several members of my section expressing shock about the things that had (allegedly) happened because they seemed so far out of line with their own experiences.

My take on it was that the administration acknowledged that there were a few problems going on and they chose to confront those problems rather than burying their heads in the sand or brushing them off as just a few bad apples. Again, if you think any other school or company hasn't experienced a similar degree of gender/class issues, you're delusional. And I'd also be surprised if other schools haven't addressed those problems in similar ways.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I will suggest that you'd be better off not trying to speak authoritatively about stuff that you haven't personally experienced. And it's funny that, despite all these supposed atrocities, your profile information to the left indicates that you applied to HBS anyway.
_________________
http://www.militarytobusiness.com/
Admissions Consulting for Veterans, by Veterans
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2013
Posts: 54
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 18:15
1
Yeah, of course I applied. I also work at a blue chip job that I hate. Stepping stones. I know it opens doors, and I'm sorry if you thought I was implying anything on the contrary. I just think the situation is somewhere in the middle of the NYT articles and what you're saying.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Posts: 85
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Feb 2014, 01:30
1
EBM wrote:
bschoolaspirant9 wrote:
To all those dinged, keep in mind that for all its apparent prestige, Harvard Business School is not the best place in the world to spend 2 years of your life. Having interacted with alums and students from numerous schools, I can definitively say that the culture and environment at HBS is not at all friendly or collegial. In fact, it is the complete opposite. If you were to compare HBS' culture to that of places like Tuck, Kellogg, Fuqua, Darden etc, the difference is night and day. The Dean at HBS this week apologized for the sexism at HBS. Some of the things that the New York Times revealed in September last year about the school were truly shocking. Female students and even female profs being bullied, secret societies of wealthy, arrogant narcissists.

Read these NYTIMES articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/educa ... wanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/educa ... d=all&_r=0


Come on now...please don't tell me you're drawing any real conclusions from a few NYT hit pieces that obviously had an agenda. If you don't think every business school has a handful of super-wealthy students who take extravagant weekend trips, or that any business environment that's traditionally male-dominated has occasional struggles with gender issues, then you're just plain naive.

For the NYT to make the claim that those wealthy few created a "Mean Girls"-type environment is laughably inaccurate. The main difference here is that HBS has a bulls-eye on its chest due to its name and status, but it's been very open about addressing the gender and cultural issues that have come up. Also, an HBS class is ~3x the size of a Darden/Tuck class, 2x the size of a Fuqua class, and 1.3x the size of a Kellogg class...you think raw numbers might have something to do with the "huge" number of HBS students who supposedly fit into one of these cliques?

Those articles do not describe my two-year HBS experience in any way. I can say with 100% certainty that met 10x more arrogant, selfish ***-holes at the Naval Academy and in the Marine Corps than I did at HBS. I think I can count on two fingers the number of HBS classmates whom I would purposely avoid if I saw them in a bar or airport today. When I started my application process in 2010 I didn't plan on applying to HBS because I bought into the stereotype about Ivy League MBAs being pretentious and arrogant--I was dead-set on attending a "nicer" school like Haas or Stanford or UCLA or Kellogg. It took about 5 minutes on the HBS campus during my interview visit to realize that those stereotypes were unfounded, and my two years there continued to convince me that I'd made the right choice.

Put bluntly, if all those stereotypes were true, then HBS would see its yield go in the tank due to admits declining their HBS offers to attend a "friendlier" school.


I don't mean to disrespect HBS students and alums. There are obviously many smart and dare I say good people that attend HBS. But the reason I am writing about this is that people don't truly understand the culture and various attributes of different schools and just go for schools like HBS because of the name. Every other person thinks HBS is his or her dream school. Why? What do they like about the program? In most cases, not much other than the "ranking" or prestige. For instance, I have spoken to a dozen Tuck applicants who have also applied to Wharton. Why on earth would anyone do that. These two programs have nothing in common. They couldn't be any more different. What I find is that people's reasoning is often limited to prestige and reputation. I can bet that is the primary reason at least a few thousand applicants apply to HBS. This is why you see so much applicant overlap between HBS, Wharton, Chicago etc. HBS and Booth are again very different programs but few people look beyond the prestige factor. "If I don't get into the No.1 school HBS, perhaps I'll get into a top 5 school Booth". I know someone who has applied to Wharton simply because of its rankings even though I can guarantee that she will be absolutely miserable at Wharton. In my opinion, this blind focus on prestige is ridiculous. And this is why HBS' yield would not go down regardless of what the school's culture was like, people would still blindly go to HBS.

With regards to the culture at HBS, this conclusion isn't just drawn from the NYTIMES articles. I speak from personal experience that, relative to my experience with schools like Kellogg, Tuck, Fuqua etc, the people and environment on the whole at HBS is far worse. When I visited HBS, the people were not very friendly or helpful. In fact, they even seemed a little cold. On the other hand, when I went to Tuck for instance, my experience was the complete opposite. I arrived at Hanover and asked someone for directions to Dartmouth, they said they were Tuckies and offered to give me a ride to Tuck. Every single individual I met at the school was very down to earth and friendly. At schools like this, when I send alums and students emails as an applicant, they manage to find the time while holding jobs at McKinsey and Goldman to send me 1000 word replies trying to answer my questions.

And then there are other factors like HBS' tendency to admit candidates from wealthy and influential families like children of billionaires. And why on earth was George W Bush ever admitted to HBS??

And, by the way, I am not picking on HBS, I had a very bad experience with Wharton as well. I attended an even hosted by Wharton alumni where the alums went on about how good the Wharton network is and how supportive the alums are. Afterwards, I went to the President of the local alumni chapter and asked if he could put me in touch with alums in the city. He very rudely told me that alums were too busy and if I was really interested in Wharton, I should just visit. How many Wharton applicants take such factors in to consideration? Not many, because "Wharton is the third best school in the world." Whatever that means.

Originally posted by RustyR on 05 Feb 2014, 19:24.
Last edited by RustyR on 06 Feb 2014, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2013
Posts: 27
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.78
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2014, 22:23
another ding here! haha.... :cry:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Dec 2013
Posts: 15
Concentration: Finance
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2014, 03:59
Doesn't look like many got interview invites yesterday :P
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Joined: 16 Dec 2010
Posts: 742
Location: United States (TX)
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2014, 07:31
bschoolaspirant9 wrote:
EBM wrote:
bschoolaspirant9 wrote:
To all those dinged, keep in mind that for all its apparent prestige, Harvard Business School is not the best place in the world to spend 2 years of your life. Having interacted with alums and students from numerous schools, I can definitively say that the culture and environment at HBS is not at all friendly or collegial. In fact, it is the complete opposite. If you were to compare HBS' culture to that of places like Tuck, Kellogg, Fuqua, Darden etc, the difference is night and day. The Dean at HBS this week apologized for the sexism at HBS. Some of the things that the New York Times revealed in September last year about the school were truly shocking. Female students and even female profs being bullied, secret societies of wealthy, arrogant narcissists.

Read these NYTIMES articles:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/educa ... wanted=all

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/08/educa ... d=all&_r=0


Come on now...please don't tell me you're drawing any real conclusions from a few NYT hit pieces that obviously had an agenda. If you don't think every business school has a handful of super-wealthy students who take extravagant weekend trips, or that any business environment that's traditionally male-dominated has occasional struggles with gender issues, then you're just plain naive.

For the NYT to make the claim that those wealthy few created a "Mean Girls"-type environment is laughably inaccurate. The main difference here is that HBS has a bulls-eye on its chest due to its name and status, but it's been very open about addressing the gender and cultural issues that have come up. Also, an HBS class is ~3x the size of a Darden/Tuck class, 2x the size of a Fuqua class, and 1.3x the size of a Kellogg class...you think raw numbers might have something to do with the "huge" number of HBS students who supposedly fit into one of these cliques?

Those articles do not describe my two-year HBS experience in any way. I can say with 100% certainty that met 10x more arrogant, selfish ***-holes at the Naval Academy and in the Marine Corps than I did at HBS. I think I can count on two fingers the number of HBS classmates whom I would purposely avoid if I saw them in a bar or airport today. When I started my application process in 2010 I didn't plan on applying to HBS because I bought into the stereotype about Ivy League MBAs being pretentious and arrogant--I was dead-set on attending a "nicer" school like Haas or Stanford or UCLA or Kellogg. It took about 5 minutes on the HBS campus during my interview visit to realize that those stereotypes were unfounded, and my two years there continued to convince me that I'd made the right choice.

Put bluntly, if all those stereotypes were true, then HBS would see its yield go in the tank due to admits declining their HBS offers to attend a "friendlier" school.


I don't mean to disrespect HBS students and alums. There are obviously many smart and dare I say good people that attend HBS. But the reason I am writing about this is that people don't truly understand the culture and various attributes of different schools and just go for schools like HBS because of the name. Every other person thinks HBS is his or her dream school. Why? What do they like about the program? In most cases, not much other than the "ranking" or prestige. For instance, I have spoken to a dozen Tuck applicants who have also applied to Wharton. Why on earth would anyone do that. These two programs have nothing in common. They couldn't be any more different. What I find is that people's reasoning is often limited to prestige and reputation. I can bet that is the primary reason at least a few thousand applicants apply to HBS. This is why you see so much applicant overlap between HBS, Wharton, Chicago etc. HBS and Booth are again very different programs but few people look beyond the prestige factor. "If I don't get into the No.1 school HBS, perhaps I'll get into a top 5 school Booth". I know someone who has applied to Wharton simply because of its rankings even though I can guarantee that she will be absolutely miserable at Wharton. In my opinion, this blind focus on prestige is ridiculous. And this is why HBS' yield would not go down regardless of what the school's culture was like, people would still blindly go to HBS.

With regards to the culture at HBS, this conclusion isn't just drawn from the NYTIMES articles. I speak from personal experience that, relative to my experience with schools like Kellogg, Tuck, Fuqua etc, the people and environment on the whole at HBS is far worse. When I visited HBS, the people were not very friendly or helpful. In fact, they even seemed a little cold. On the other hand, when I went to Tuck for instance, my experience was the complete opposite. I arrived at Hanover and asked someone for directions to Dartmouth, they said they were Tuckies and offered to give me a ride to Tuck. Every single individual I met at the school was very down to earth and friendly. At schools like this, when I send alums and students emails as an applicant, they manage to find the time while holding jobs at McKinsey and Goldman to send me 1000 word replies trying to answer my questions.

And then there are other factors like HBS' tendency to admit candidates from wealthy and influential families like children of billionaires. And why on earth was George W Bush ever admitted to HBS??

And, by the way, I am not picking on HBS, I had a very bad experience with Wharton as well. I attended an even hosted by Wharton alumni where the alums went on about how good the Wharton network is and how supportive the alums are. Afterwards, I went to the President of the local alumni chapter and asked if he could put me in touch with alums in the city. He very rudely told me that alums were too busy and if I was really interested in Wharton, I should just visit. How many Wharton applicants take such factors in to consideration? Not many, because "Wharton is the third best school in the world." Whatever that means.


I'm not going to claim that you're lying about your experience at HBS, but you should consider the sample size....i.e. one day for your visit vs. the two years I spent there. Think about it--if you met just one person that day who rubbed you the wrong way out of the 20 or so you interacted with, he/she would have a disproportional impact on your overall perception of the school. For me, that person would only constitute a tenth of a percent of my classmates. I guess it's possible I developed Stockholm Syndrome and am physically unable to criticize my classmates or my time there, but I doubt that's the case.

I'm sure if I asked around enough I could find at least one person who had a negative experience at Tuck, Kellogg, Booth, Stanford, Haas, or any of the other schools that supposedly have "superior" cultures. And I could also put you in contact with the 50 or so applicants I helped during my time there, who all raved about the over-the-top friendliness of everyone they met during visits or phone calls. I'll bet it also wouldn't take much effort for you to find people who had completely opposite experiences with Wharton than the one you had.

As I mentioned previously, I'd say my HBS class had about a 0.2% ***hole ratio....I'll gladly take those numbers up against any other business school or 900-person sample size you can think of, and I certainly met fewer selfish/egotistical people at HBS than I have in any other population I've been part of. I also said that I first visited HBS expecting the worst in terms of those stereotypes, and if it had lived up to any of those bad expectations I would have gladly attended Haas or Kellogg.
_________________
http://www.militarytobusiness.com/
Admissions Consulting for Veterans, by Veterans
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2014, 10:29
I registered for off campus hub interview (shanghai) but the confirmation email did not include an address. Anyone else have the same issue?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2013
Posts: 42
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2014, 22:18
fox112 wrote:
I registered for off campus hub interview (shanghai) but the confirmation email did not include an address. Anyone else have the same issue?


我的天啊,你居然收到面试机会啦?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 05 May 2013
Posts: 60
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GRE 1: Q161 V165
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2014, 07:09
fox112 wrote:
I registered for off campus hub interview (shanghai) but the confirmation email did not include an address. Anyone else have the same issue?


Yes (though my location wasn't Shanghai). I was going to reach out to the admissions office a week or so before the actual interview if they hadn't sent a followup by then.
_________________
former HBS (M), building a new way to evaluate & hire MBA admissions consultants @ https://www.admitbrain.com/
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2014, 08:37
afabmp wrote:
fox112 wrote:
I registered for off campus hub interview (shanghai) but the confirmation email did not include an address. Anyone else have the same issue?


Yes (though my location wasn't Shanghai). I was going to reach out to the admissions office a week or so before the actual interview if they hadn't sent a followup by then.


I called Susan Bergen from the admissions office and she told me where the address is. I suggest you do the same, don't think they'll be sending you another email. Good luck w/ the interview!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2014, 23:02
Any R1 admits can share their experience with the interview? and how they prepared?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Celebrating!
Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 55
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 14:04
1
Interesting debate but guys seriously...? Some incredibly insubstantial opinions getting thrown around here. There's plenty to choose from, but a few points that caught my eye.

  • "...And why on earth was George W Bush ever admitted to HBS??"

How did you get on with the critical reasoning part of the GMAT with logic and reasoning like that?

And I suppose you had first hand experience of 'dubya' while he was interviewing or a current student. Besides, when dealing with the current topic, surely Bill Clinton going to HBS would have been more of a concern (or maybe Georgetown and Oxford have endemic problems too)? The GMAT can have that one for free.

(And leave it, I'm not a republican, I just thought it was quite a funny joke)

  • "When I visited HBS, the people were not very friendly or helpful. In fact, they even seemed a little cold."

Maybe, one visit, at least there's some evidence here. But from my experience, when I was there last week I was touched at the number of current students who took time out of their days and incredibly busy schedules to spend time talking to me about the school. They had warmth, spoke with great enthusiasm, and mostly about how great their fellow classmates and professors were. One partner of an admitted student during the Admitted Students Weekend was almost in tears with the generous spirit and welcome she'd been extended. So again, only a few data points but worth mentioning as a different perspective.

  • "The Dean at HBS this week apologized for the sexism at HBS."

This one is an interesting one. In the full text he has apologized for past problems, not a current issue (article: http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2014/01/29/harvard-business-dean-apologizes/). The specific apology was also about a lack of women as the subject of case study material, most of which go back a number of years.

In an incredibly open and candid Q&A session a lady asked about this last week during the Admitted Students event with a question to Youngme Moon (Associate Dean and Head of the HBS FT MBA program). I paraphrase a little, as I listened to this in a long session but part of what was said went something like this:

"It's true Nithin Nohria apologized... we have accepted at HBS that to tackle what we felt has been a historical problem we will need to make changes... To do so we knew would attract attention, and bad publicity....We couldn't allow that to be a reason not to change something we felt was wrong..."

If someone else was there and has a better memory than me I'd appreciate it!

Hopefully that adds some context to the apology. And again, HBS apologizing and no-one else doing so certainly does not show that this is the one school affected (pull out your Critical Reasoning books again). It does though show it is the only school to recognize it, the first step to correcting it. I also take some confidence in the strong passionate speaking from Youngme Moon and Dee Leopold [Director of Admissions] (surely two of the most influential staff at the school, and both women). This also is a stab in the dark but I find it hard to believe Dean Nithin Nohria is either sexist or chauvinistic either...

Anyway, of course HBS has had issues, much as I'm sure other schools did. *Opinion warning* For my part, I met roughly half of the Class of '16 last week. I was stunned by how genuine they all were, and also met a very, very low percentage where I detected any lack of humility. It was the most amazing and kind group of people I've ever had the fortune to meet. I like to think I have at least a small insight of the future as they'll all be part of the culture next year...

I hope anyone who read some of the ridiculous unsubstantiated comments above didn't put anyone else off looking a bit closer at one of the best education institutions in the world and at least making their own conclusions. I met students from several prominent business schools along the way, both in the US and Europe, and detected arrogance on several occasions. But I was realistic to accept that maybe I had at best an isolated insight and didn't feel the need to flame the places where there would be few readers with any experience to counter a pretty flawed argument.
_________________
My blog: http://timbob101.wordpress.com/
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Celebrating!
Joined: 09 Oct 2011
Posts: 55
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 14:09
Acoustic1000 wrote:
Any R1 admits can share their experience with the interview? and how they prepared?


I read all the past typical questions in interview guides/on internet etc I could find and tried to think about how they would answer them. Only one out of what most of been hundreds actually came up, but it was still worth doing.

My interview seemed incredibly fast but still found time to ask me a question about a tiny part of my application. I was completely thrown as I wasn't expecting it but thankfully was able to answer ok after a little think. The interviewers themselves were great, I certainly didn't get the impression they were trying to catch me out.

I had a bit of an unconventional background, at ASW last week some of those with 'traditional' background seemed to get a more traditional interview, but experiences did seem to vary.
_________________
My blog: http://timbob101.wordpress.com/
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 20:30
fox112 wrote:
I registered for off campus hub interview (shanghai) but the confirmation email did not include an address. Anyone else have the same issue?


I think it is in the IFC-HSBC building in Shanghai. Isn't it?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 9
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2014, 22:48
Thank you @Timbob . How soon after the interview did you hear back? did you get an email or a call?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2014, 22:48

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  41   42   43   44   45   46   47  ...  55    Next  [ 1094 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Harvard (HBS) Calling all applicants - Class of 2016

  post reply Update application status  

Moderator: sroy4






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne