Last visit was: 31 Aug 2024, 18:17 It is currently 31 Aug 2024, 18:17
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [9]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General
Schools:Harvard
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6377 [2]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4673 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Given Kudos: 60
Schools: ISB '15
Send PM
Re: Having accepted the invitation for tonight's opera at the Disney Hall, [#permalink]
Kudos
Gnpth wrote:
Bakhtior wrote:
I was stucked to choose one of the two confusing words, and I couldn't find the explanation of the difference.

Explain please :?:

Hi,

Here in this sentence, The actual meaning is Fox is taking Mireille including her (Mireille's) daughter to the Opera.

Having accepted the invitation for tonight's opera at the Disney Hall, Fox is taking Mireille, until recently the wife of yvonne torres, including her two young daughters, student of the Lycee Francais de los Angeles.

1. until recently the wife of yvonne torres,- Modifies Mireille.
2. student of the Lycee Francais de los Angeles- Modifies Daughters.

Here read by ignoring the modifiers. We get Fox is taking Mireille, including her two young daughters. Again the including her modifies Mireille. not fox.

If you use along with it changes the meaning of the sentence, It says fox is taking her two daughters and Mireille to the Opera. Along with Modifies Fox instead of Mireille- So this is wrong

Sentence is correct as is. so answer is A. :)

including after the comma should modify the complete phrase rather Mireille. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I choose B.
Can somebody explain why B is wrong.
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 218 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Re: Having accepted the invitation for tonight's opera at the Disney Hall, [#permalink]
Hey

I agreee with your explanations for A, but shouldn't it be students AT the school?

Normally, if someone talks about studying or working, it is always I work AT abc or I study AT harvard. Is it because it is a noun not a verb?
So it would be I am an employee OF abc and I am a student OF harvard?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 973 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bakhtior wrote:
I was stucked to choose one of the two confusing words, and I couldn't find the explanation of the difference.

Explain please :?:

I don't think that this is a typical GMAT SC question because of the lack of clarity in the meaning of the sentence.

Looks like both A and B are correct.

In any case how do we know whose daughters are we talking about ?

What is the antecedent for HER?

Can someone explain?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [1]
Given Kudos: 137
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V31
Send PM
Kudos
Even though I marked the answer as B, after reading the sentence again I think A is correct.

Mark is taking Mireille, including her children.
If you think of it, Mark is taking the lady out, the children tag along. They are with Mirielle. Mark is into Mereielle, kids are free with the package :lol:

If you change the statement to - Mark is taking Mirielle, along with her children.
To me this sounds more like, the children are of greater importance. Mark wants to take the kids as priority, Mirielle tags along.

What are your thoughts!

+1 Kudos if this helped! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
GMATNinja Yo could you clear this up ?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 876 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
7048 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
234 posts